SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

vaseadude: Anyone went through Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal?

vaseadude

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vaseadude

• GiaK

• tezza

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually i think I might have wrote that too soon, :lol: I felt terrible yesterday.

Actually an interesting thing is, as I looked at my symptom graphs, I found a pattern that I feel really bad 12 days after tapering, I think that is when the withdrawal kicks in. But, I usually feel great just a week after tapering. How do we explain that?

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Administrator

It might take a bit for your nervous system to "realize" there's been a change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It seems like when I first switched from the injection to the oral form in april, I made a too big of a switch and did not up the dose when I felt severe side effects. That brought me to having public anxiety and agoraphobia. It hasnt stopped since then. I can't go outside for more than a block from my place and I can't stay long outside, I feel even worse when people are around me. The only time that I feel this anxiety less is about 12 days after a taper, then I feel really good for a day or two. This anxiety is making me really miserable and is making my life really small. Is there anything I could do to get past this anxiety? What can I do? I really want to not be glued to my apartment all day...

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

vaseadude,

I'm not sure, since I'm not in your body, but it's possible that what you are calling anxiety is a raw nervous system and withdrawal does that for a lot of us. For some of us the only thing that heals that is gentle loving self-care and time.

I can't be sure it's what you're feeling, but my issues with what I'm talking about did actually start with my risperdal withdrawal...it got worse as I came off all the other drugs. I'm still healing from it and I still can't always go out when I want. I'm not afraid...it's literally just a raw nervous system. Again, I'm not sure we're experiencing the same thing, but I think it's possible.

If it is the same being patient with your body as you heal is important...and accepting that its the way it is for the time being.

See this...it's talking about some of this. Does it resonate? http://beyondmeds.com/2010/04/27/extreme-sensitivity/

if it does we can talk more about the ways I've coped...it's diminished greatly for me since I wrote that piece.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Gianna,

I am trying to figure out if it is similar to the state you are describing.. Is the motion sickness of the same nature as the 'hypersensitivity' you are describing? Is is like a "grinding", "grating" irritable nervousness?

I do also avoid noises in the house. However, I don't get sick when sitting or standing for a few minutes... (that might be just a greater sensitivity I guess...) I dont know it might be that what you are describing... but I am not sure... I am more inclined to think it is though...

Vasea

Do you also feel depressed after you expose yourself to this hypersensitivity?

vaseadude,

I wrote that piece when it was TOTALLY out of control....and way beyond hopefully anything you'll ever need to discover...

depression is not something I related to in that state...it was so extreme...so I don't know how to answer the question...actually I don't relate to the concept of depression at all anymore...that was something I experienced on drugs...when I was stopping **** up...once I opened stuff up...maybe all hell broke loose, but it wasn't depression anymore

basically what I wanted to share with you is that when it's the nervous system it's just as much PHYSICAL as mental...you can't just wish it away...and coping and learning how to heal requires holistic methods...in the literal sense...engaging the body/mind/spirit.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I am really sorry about what you had to go through... I don't even want to imagine how bad it was.

GIanna, I want to hear more about engaging the body/mind/spirit if you can.

To some extent, I have started a chi gung practice and I practice every day, which is a mind/body discipline also. In the tradition of this chi gung (qigong) school, it is a preparatory practice to learn meditation later on, in other words it prepares the nervous system and slows down the mind enough, also is supposed to make you psysically healthy first.

if you're drawn to qigong and that's working for you...I say just keep at it...it's an excellent method to work with your body/mind, certainly.

I do yoga and meditation and breath work of different kinds...and I walk and spend time in nature too.

I also have spent years now tinkering with diet...that too is an individual journey...I share what I've learned here: http://beyondmeds.com/gut-health/

I think we all find our way in different ways, but we are sometimes lucky to find people who can help us light our individual paths.

The other thing I've practiced deeply for many years now is accepting what is...because it's all we've got...and that practice is healing too...I suppose this page sums up what I mean best: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/06/24/foundation/

It seems to me you have the seeds of what you need...now you just have to water them and tend the garden, so to speak...

• Administrator

vaseadude, perhaps holding off the taper a bit will help? Perhaps your nervous system needs to settle from the changes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alto,

As much as I hate the option to hold of the taper, it would make sense to hold it if that would give me back the ability to go in public again. I just hate the idea that it would take so long really bad.

The weird thing is that right after I taper I feel better, and it lasts for up to two weeks. After about 12 days or so, I almost have no emotions outside, then I start to feel worse. What if I tapered at the end of each of that good period, I could feel relatively good through all my taper? I mean, maybe my body likes to have less of the medication... I know it might be a crazy idea... but who knows... is it nonsensical?

vaseadude,

tapering before you start feeling badly would only make when you start feeling badly even worse when it all catches up...

tapers can accumulate which is why it's best to wait until you start feeling better again before tapering again and why it's also a good idea to hold...

I understand wanting to get off but it's a good idea to wait and feel better...that's the best way to minimize feeling bad in general...

Of course, I was silly to write that above, because I also know that to be true, intellectually... I guess its just that part of me wants an easy and fast way out, that is the problem, and its not my intellect that spoke, but my frustration with this process I guess.

I will hold some more before the next taper. I hope I will feel better soon.

Thank you! :rolleyes:

PS: as I spend so much time inside the house, I am thinking of occupying myself, like finding a hobby and stuff... maybe do some handcrafts or I dont know. Have to think what to do..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vasea,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad right now. I think I understand but like Gia said, I'm not in your body. I do share the feelings of not being able to make myself get out of the house, although; intellectually, I know it would be good for me to interact with others.

I also share the anxiety and depression :( . I want to get off the medicine as soon as possible but I just can't do it fast. This is depressing in itself. Very sincerely, I hope and pray we both feel better soon.

Maybe doing some crafts would be a good idea, indeed. I used to love things like that and have thought about trying again, I just need to get some motivation worked up.

I'm thinking of you and truly wishing you well.

Hugs,

Tezza

I'd like to add that for me...there have been times when being alone is absolutely the best thing...

we're taught a whole lot in society that alone time is bad...and while I've felt isolated quite often, which is definitely NOT a good thing, the fact is the demands of my sick body and nervous system REQUIRED and still require a lot of alone time.

I simply cannot be around people most of the time and respect the needs of my shattered nervous system at the same time...

I do not know if this is the case for either of you...I just share this in the event that it is the case since forcing ourselves to do things just because we've been told socializing is always a good thing, isn't necessarily in our best interest...

listening and respecting our needs is the best thing one can do on this journey and we stand to learn a lot about ourselves that will serve us well for the rest of our lives...sometimes doing what is right is not something others will understand.

exactly what I wanted to do! :)

we put far too many pressures on ourselves...and allow societal norms to dictate them...too often.

• Administrator

vaseadude, it's possible if you let your nervous system settle down, you'll be able to tolerate future tapering better.

I am trying to figure out how can I help my friend who shows symptoms of psychosis/altered states of consciousness.

I've started a new topic here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3153-i-think-my-friend-has-psychoticextraordinary-experiences/page__gopid__34554#entry34554

If somebody can give any advice, please write.

Thanks!

I am trying to figure out if the knee pain/discomfort is related to withdrawal or to poor exercise. I've started a topic about this: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3176-knee-pain-does-this-sound-like-a-withdrawal-symptom/

• 2 weeks later...

Update: My knees seem to be OK now, I am pretty sure it was the WD. My last cut was 37 days ago, and I have stabilized enough it seems for another cut, but I will hold it until the 15th of Nov since I have an appointment in the city. I am a little afraid to do it since I dont go out, and only can be outside near my house for a short time. But I hope I will tackle it, and moreover raise my confidence to go out.

I'm also doing a free online program called PANIC FREE LIFE, hosted by comedian Kyle Cease, who suffered from suicidal anxiety and recovered to have the number one show on comedy central. He shares some nice psychological tools to cope with it.

Hope you all are doing great on your journey! Vasea

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm also doing a free online program called PANIC FREE LIFE, hosted by comedian Kyle Cease, who suffered from suicidal anxiety and recovered to have the number one show on comedy central. He shares some nice psychological tools to cope with it.

Hope you all are doing great on your journey! Vasea

Hi Vasea... Comedy is a great way to address panic. I'll be interested to see how you respond.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vasea,

I'm very glad to hear you've stabilized! I sincerely hope you can make your tapers small enough to remain stable. It sounds like you are 'holding' well, also. The road is a little bumpy until we learn how to best taper to suit our individual needs.

Hugs and healing,

Tezza

Hi Vasea... Comedy is a great way to address panic. I'll be interested to see how you respond.

Yes, I will see how it works. But if my panic or anxiety is caused by meds, I dont know if it can help. I will just try and see. They say the mind is really powerful and it can change everything.

I'm very glad to hear you've stabilized! I sincerely hope you can make your tapers small enough to remain stable. It sounds like you are 'holding' well, also. The road is a little bumpy until we learn how to best taper to suit our individual needs.

Im still thinking if I should continue with a constant cut amount or should I progressively lower it... If I lower it every time, it will take forever. If not, there will be just 16 steps to go, about 16 months, if it goes like this. And then there is this damn agoraphobia... i would really want to be able to go anywhere and be comfortable, and not be stuck in my house... I've decided to see a chinese doctor and see if he could help, hes really smart and knows a lot of stuff and people in the alternative field, and he said he took someone off tranquilizers in the past. I wonder if he could help me with the taper and my anxiety/panic. Just the thought to work with someone professional is enticing.

PEace!

• Administrator

What is the link for the online course? Others might like it, too.

Please be careful with Chinese medicine. Often the herbs are too stimulating. Make sure the acupuncturist knows you need calming, not stimulating, treatments.

Your Risperdal cuts should be progressively smaller -- calculated on the last dose. It may take you a long time to go off, but hopefully withdrawal symptoms should be minimal and you'll gradually be able to do more and more towards a normal life.

It kind of seems to me that a progressively lower dose just elongates the process in vain. Its hard for my mind to accept staying on these toxic chemicals longer than its necessary. I compare it with a rusted piece of metal inside my body, i really want to get rid of it as soon as possible, the more it stays, the more damage it does. Two years is really a long time, and it is the period suggested in the Icarus guide and in P.Breggin's Book. If I my symptoms are bad, I could just increase the dose a tiny bit and they would disappear the next day, Ive seen it work for this particular drug on me.

What is the link for the online course? Others might like it, too.

- I dont know why i did not think to share it here, its a good idea, I definitely will make a new post about it!

• Administrator

No, a progressively lower dose allows your nervous system to accommodate to the decrease.

Please do not count on always being able to updose to resolve withdrawal symptoms. This does not always work. Then where would you be?

Most people might be off by 2 years, but if you're very sensitive, it could take longer. I think the Icarus Guide says this. It's a serious fault in Breggin's work that he does not allow for this, painting a picture of withdrawal that's too easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to write a small update.

Last week I had to go to a government building because I had to get a document. I was really dreading that day, because I knew I had to stand in lines and be around lots of people and because of my public anxiety/agoraphobia, I feel really nervous and panicked when I go far from home. I tried to prepare for that day in any ways, I was visualizing it before, as well as I had a 'backup plan' - a small dose (half pill or 2.5mg) of a benzo in my pocket, just in case I cant hold it. Well, the day came and it was way more stressful than I envisioned it to be. I had to wait about two hours in endless lines with a lot of people around. I saw I was getting really nervous while waiting, and so I opted for the backup plan... I took the half pill of benzo that I had in my pocket. Now I have only taken benzos briefly when I was first put on meds, for anxiety caused by the AP meds, but I havent used it since, and I didnt really remember how it felt. Well, I started to feel a buzz after the first 5 minutes, and half an hour later I was relaxed and no longer that nervous, my confidence increased and my calmness too, and it was way more tolerable. I was able to go through that event.

The benzo high lasted a couple of days, and I was really feeling chill, although I was lethargic and didn't really had the energy to do things. The high also felt toxic (buzzy) and artificial, not something I would want to experience often. But, in those 2 days, I felt much easier to get out of the house, I did not feel that much nervous or rigid when I got out, and I felt more able to handle doing stuff, although I dint feel much energy.

I am not really proud that I had to take the drug and couldnt handle it otherwise, but, at least I feel relieved that I got though that event (I guess that is called intermittent use). And also at least I know how I react to the benzo.

I am pretty sure my anxiety, irritability and rigidity is caused by the Risperidone, and that nervousness and panic is just a bad side effect, which became worse with the withdrawal. If a benzo can help with these side effects, I wonder If something less dangerous and addictive, like a herb, could also help with these symptoms while withdrawing. If anyone has any helpful experience please share.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vasea,

I'm glad to hear you made it okay on the day you had to go out. I can't imagine how it must have felt to have had the benzo affect you for a couple of days, though!

Some people find magnesium to have a calming effect. If taking magnesium orally is too much to handle, you could try Epsom salt baths, maybe that would help. I hope you find some relief soon.

Hugs,

Tezza

Vasea,

I carry essential oils with me. I started using them with horses and found they helped me with situational stress. They don't always help, but thought I'd mention it.

Don't beat yourself up about using a benzo to get thru this event.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks for the replies guys!

Tezza, I tried salt baths (I dont have epsom salts here but something similar) and didn't really observe much change, maybe I could try some more.

Barb, can you tell me more about these essential oils? What kind, how do you take 'em? I really don't know anything about them.

By the way, I tried chamomile tea yesterday and I noticed that it briefly relaxes me for 20 min. I heard it helps with anxiety. Has anybody tried it?

• 3 weeks later...