vaseadude: Anyone went through Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal?

vaseadude

Thanks Gia! Btw reading your site mostly inspired me to think about tweaking my diet. :rolleyes: I have already started to read that second thread on this site about sdc/paleo/gaps diet. Do you mind if I ask you any questions regarding diet, esp beginner questions, once any will arise?

Yes, I have switched to night time to take my meds, and my sleep has slightly increased. I now fall asleep better.

BUT, these last few days I've not been feeling alright. It happened right after switching to another bottle of risperidone. I don't know why is this causing anything, I think it happened before too, and I started to shake the liquid before taking it. But I guess it is something else. Is it just a period of adjustment to the new bottle? SOme bottle switches do not have any effects on me. Or, can there be anything worse? like, I dunno, what if the liquid has spoiled, either from not being kept at suggested temperature, or idk... :unsure:

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vaseadude

• GiaK

• tezza

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, you can ask...if it gets to be too much I'll let you know :) generally beginner type questions about food are easy for me...

as far as the risperdal feeling different, I really don't know what that might be...are you using generics? generics can be different strengths...

my experience of the liquid was that it was astonishingly stable...so my inclination isn't to think it's gone bad...still, I really don't know.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I'm not taking generics, I am taking Janssen, which are made in Russia. Here that's the only liquid form they have. I think they have generics only for pills, and they are viewed as of poorer quality.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

Gia, is there a must read book to have before going on Paleo diet?

book? no...

but I do recommend Chris Kresser's blog...he's really wonderful and not particularly dogmatic...(less so than most other paleo sites) he's very grounded in good research...

Oh...another good site that does have a good book too is The Perfect Health Diet...

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

and the book is quite good as well...I have it...it's not 100% paleo, but pretty darn close...and Chris Kresser also recommends it.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

I believe the old bottles of liquid medication lose a little potency over time. The new bottles are a tiny bit stronger. This might not even be measurable, but sensitive people can feel it.

This might be a good time to reduce your dose slightly, to compensate.

Suggest you do the dose reduction first, so you can tell if it causes any digestive symptoms, before any widespread changes in diet, which you can phase in during the next hold.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

that's very possible...when I went off Risperdal I was still on a lot of other drugs which would have rendered me quite a lot less sensitive than I was later on in the withdrawal

I believe the old bottles of liquid medication lose a little potency over time. The new bottles are a tiny bit stronger. This might not even be measurable, but sensitive people can feel it.

This might be a good time to reduce your dose slightly, to compensate.

Suggest you do the dose reduction first, so you can tell if it causes any digestive symptoms, before any widespread changes in diet, which you can phase in during the next hold.

Alto, do you suggest to just reduce the dose just a tiny bit? like maybe 1%? or go for another taper - 5%?

A couple more thoughts..

I am also thinking, if the substance is dissolved in water, then maybe over time the water evaporates and the solution becomes stronger? Just a thought.

As for the diet, how is it generally thought to be a better way- is it better to change it after holding the dose for some time (like after 3 months as I did) OR, right after a taper is fine?

I never really considered my dietary changes in regards to my taper...do whatever feels right for you.

• Administrator

Evaporation would make the old liquid more potent, not less. More likely it's degradation from light, heat, and exposure to air.

If it's time for a 5% cut, do that. Otherwise, try a smaller cut.

I would phase in the dietary changes a week or so after lowering the dosage. Make gradual diet changes, there probably won't be dramatic effects right away.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alto, thanks a lot for the advice!

Today I felt slightly better than the past few days. I appreciate the small change. I did not change the dose.

My bowel movements are most often not very well formed, neither solid nor diarrhea, kind of paste-like consistency (sorry for the details :D ). I am hoping the change of diet will improve my digestion and bowel movements so I can absorb more nutrients from food. I was reading about the SCD Diet on this forum (the link Giak posted before), and it seems that this diet specifically focuses on the repair of the gut but is pretty restrictive. Do you think that just a removal of grains, and an introduction of properly fermented yogurt to my diet can be enough to be on the way to improving my gut?

• Administrator

I'm not a diet expert but I think you might find adjustments helpful. This seems to differ from person to person, listen to your body and see what makes you feel better.

You know, I've been on the same dose for over three monts now. I still have anxiety when I am going farther than a block from home. It is like a state really close to panic, it seems like panic is gonna erupt if I dont somehow control it, I am like holding the lid to a pressure boiling pot. I have learned to keep walking and focus on breathing in spite of this sensations and they are more tolerable after a while.

This anxiety was present before the start of the taper, but was not that strong, and I was able to go to places in town. I just felt uneasy at times and kind of weak emotionally but it passed. And right after I started the taper and switched from shots to oral solution, and at the same time taking large doses of TRB supplements (as stupid as I was), I felt a panic attack in the city, it was really dreadful. Then there was a period of a week or so when I felt quite bad and had high anxiety, even days I didn't go out of bed. So since that time I have been more scared to go in the city, and when going farther from my home, I get that anxiety sensation that I mentioned.

And now, I am confused... I don't know what to do. I could go on with the taper, or I could try to find ways to get rid of this anxiety first (if they exist). I dont know, is is going to get worse as I taper? ...or better? is this thing a side effect of the drug, or is it some sort of withdrawal syndrome that was caused by that panic attack... or maybe it's my underlying emotional issues that are surfacing. CONFUSED.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vasea,

I'm sorry about your confusion and the problems you're having. Unfortunately, no one can say for sure what is causing the symptoms.

After I CTd for two weeks, then reinstated, I started tapering before I was really stable. I was miserable with symptoms. I'd been trying to taper using tablets and figured I wasn't getting a precise dose. When I got liquid, I held for three months, waiting to stabilize. Finally, I decided to taper less than 10%. Shortly after the taper, I started to feel better. There is no way to know in advance how a taper will affect you. I've been cautiously tapering minuscule amounts since.

I'm not advising you to taper, I'm just saying that its very unpredictable. Sometimes, it makes one feel better and sometimes worse. It is totally confusing! Like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.

I wish I could tell you what you should do but I don't think anyone can do that. I understand the confusion, I've been there.

I usually decide to taper when my sleep pattern has been good for a couple of weeks. That is my determining factor because I know that when I'm in harsh WD my sleep is affected. You are very blessed to be able to sleep well so I don't know how you can tell if its time to taper or not.

My mood is pretty good, anxiety is low, I'm even feeling more motivated lately, but, my sleep is not too good; therefore, I'm holding until it gets better. Have you felt any improvement at all since your last taper?

I realize I'm not being much help to you and I wish I could. I can only say that sometimes a cut does make one feel better but thats not always the case. Hopefully, Alto can advise on this.

I hope you find relief soon, I know this is frustrating.

Hugs,

Tezza

Tezza, a big HUUUG to you too! You are really wonderful.

I still haven't decided what to do yet, but I am more inclined to taper further, mostly because I deeply believe my body will thank me for removing this toxins.

• Administrator

vaseadude, what supplements are you taking now?

vaseadude, what supplements are you taking now?

Alto, I am taking none.

• Moderator Emeritus

I looked in my Swanson catalog. This is where I saw the peppermint. It calms stomach muscles in particular.

Here is one I found in the catalog that I don't remember --- Wood Betony ~ described as " historically valued as a calming herb".

Others listed as calming are valerian, ,chamomile, and hops.

Lemon balm, passionflower and skullcap are listed as stress relievers.

These are combined as complex capsules but can be purchased individually.

Tezza, thanks for the info!

I do have dried peppermint and chamomile. I use sometimes a leaf or two in my green tea, and also make chamomile tea sometimes. With peppermint (4 leaves in tea) I observed a relaxation afterwards that lasts for about 20 min. Theoretically I could try to take a bottle of concentrated tea with me when I have to go to places and drink when I am nervous :)

ALso drinking it regularly might help more, I think.

I've lowered the dose to 1.64 on Jan 18th. So far I didn't observe much change, just a little improvement in mental clarity maybe. Usually my stats go up the first 12 days or so. Hope it will be a smooth taper.

Also thinking to supplement again with probiotics for some time, last time it improved my bowel movements, and now they are not very good.

I am also reading a book on paleo, maybe I'll try to make some changes, although it seems impossible to imagine how to live without grains yet.. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Heyyy Tezza! :)

Thanks for checking in!

I am doing pretty good. My moods are OK. Its been over three weeks already, and it seems like this taper is going rather well. I haven't been hanging out on the forum for a while because I try to limit my time at the computer, I have a big screen and it causes me headache if I stay too long.

I am running a few times a week and try to walk every day, it helps circulate blood and fluids better.. but my motivation to do it is the good mood that it gives me after a workout as the endorphins kick in.

I still dont go very far from home, but at least I feel more comfortable exploring my neighborhood, my anxiety is less.

As far as my diet changes go, trying to learn to cook good foods little by little, today I am making bone broth for the first time, the pot is boiling right at this moment :D.

And how have are you, my friend? :rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vasea,

You sound really good! I'm so happy for you. I'm doing better these days too. I actually went shopping with my husband today and enjoyed it. I was thinking when we were out how it used to be.

I used to be in such a hurry to get out of the store and get back to the house. That is...if he could get me out of the house to begin with. There is hope after all.

We are gonna be okay! :D

Thanks for letting us know how you are.

Wishing you the very best!

I'm really glad for you Tezza, that you are doing better.

I have yet to go to stores, not to mention enjoy them :). I hope when I reach a low enough dose I could do that too.

All the best!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Vasea. :rolleyes: you will get there, I'm sure. I still don't go places on my own but I hope that will change too. I really don't understand why so many of us have the agoraphobia, but then,who does understand what all the drugs actually do to us.

It should be illegal for doctors and drug companies to do this. You'll get better, just keep hanging on.

It's been 30 days since my last taper.

I am having severe joint pain today in my knees. The past week it's been bothering me a little, but I could even jog the day before so it wasn't what bad. But today is the worst. I almost can't stand on my left knee, It feels like it's rigid, dry, and it does clicking sounds often. My right knee is better, I can still keep my weight on it, but it is still bothering me.

I've had knee problems before twice, and according to my diary both times happened around 3-4 weeks after the taper (the last two tapers before the current one). And now it has been over four weeks since my last taper. I am suspecting it could be a withdrawal effect? But I really don't know, I am still unsure and am open to other possibilities as well.

Is it common for these type of symptoms to be withdrawal? What does joints have to do with withdrawal anyway? Do other people get these too?

• Moderator Emeritus

When my husband continued to complain of severe pain in his upper arms and shoulders, his doctor gave him samples of Cymbalta. They often prescribe anti-depressants for pain.

I convinced husband NOT to take it. At his next check-up, doc prescribed naproxen(anti-inflammatory). This has helped to an extent.

I realize Risperdal is actually an anti-psychotic but it definitely affects receptors in a similar way as anti-depressants. Therefore, I do think inflammation could be linked to the reduction of these types of medications.

Hope you feel better soon!

THanks Tezza!

I still can't walk on this foot, and I don't know what to do about it. I am thinking of putting on some topical over-the-counter cream for join and muscle pain. Could that help? It really feels disempowering to just stay in bed all day.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think that could help, Vasea. I don't know if these are available there, but I use Salonpas patches. They work for me and they are similar to the creams that are used for muscle and joint pain.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still in pain.

• Moderator Emeritus

Vasea, have you had a workup by an orthopod to rule out obvious musculoskeletal causes?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Skyler, thanks for the stopping by!

It's hard for me to go very far from home right now because of anxiety. But if I will have to, I will force myself to do it. I will just wait a few days and see if it will not go away on it's own, then I will maybe get it checked by doctors. Do you think it's reasonable?

But I am more inclined to think it's somewhat caused by a withdrawal effect, since the coincidence of happening three times in a row 20-30 days after the taper is just too big.

A little update: I went to the doctor did a scan of my knee and found out that the ligament was a little bit damaged. I'll have to wear a cast on my left leg for 5 weeks. I've also made another taper. I'm on 1.56 ml now :)

Thanks Skyler for suggesting to see a doctor.

I hope you all are well!

Peace!