☼ Abdullah: Abilify

Abdullah

I took Abilify for 2 weeks, then tapered for a week and quit. Withdrawals have been intense. How long should I expect them to last?

No prior history of psychiatric/recreational drug use. I developed depersonalization/derealization disorder in December 2016, and recovered completely in August. What I'm experiencing currently is very, very different to anything I experienced then. 

- September 1st to 5th (2019) : Took 5 mg of Abilify (Noticed my confidence levels beginning to decline, slight depression/dread/panic beginning to creep in, creativity/cognitive abilities seemed slightly diminished)

- September 6th to 15th (2019) : Increased dose to 10 mg (Symptoms listed above became worse, and developed severe restlessness)

- September 15th to 23rd (2019) : Tapered over a period of 1 week. Restlessness improved but other symptoms became slightly worse

- September 23rd to 30th (2019) : Depression continued to increase. On the 30th I started experiencing the worst case of depersonalization I've ever experienced. Severe depression, thoughts and emotions gone, could barely function cognitively. I'm a bit calmer now but the symptoms haven't improved still

November 24th to December 7th : Reinstated 10 mg. Noticed no effect other than breast growth. Tapered over a week and quit again

Hello. I took Abilify for 2 weeks, then tapered off in one week. I'm in week 5 now, and the withdrawal symptoms have only just begun to subside. How long should I expect them to last? 

No prior history of psychiatric/recreational drug use. I developed depersonalization/derealization disorder in December 2016, and recovered completely in August. What I'm experiencing currently is very, very different to anything I experienced then. 

- September 1st to 5th (2019) : Took 5 mg of Abilify (Noticed my confidence levels beginning to decline, slight depression/dread/panic beginning to creep in, creativity/cognitive abilities seemed slightly diminished)

- September 6th to 15th (2019) : Increased dose to 10 mg (Symptoms listed above became worse, and developed severe restlessness)

- September 15th to 23rd (2019) : Tapered over a period of 1 week. Restlessness improved but other symptoms became slightly worse

- September 23rd to 30th (2019) : Depression continued to increase. On the 30th I started experiencing the worst case of depersonalization I've ever experienced. Severe depression, thoughts and emotions gone, could barely function cognitively. I'm a bit calmer now but the symptoms haven't improved still

November 24th to December 7th : Reinstated 10 mg. Noticed no effect other than breast growth. Tapered over a week and quit again

I took Abilify (10mg) for 2 weeks, then tapered off in a week. Had very intense withdrawals (esp brain fog) that are only now (5th week since last dose) beginning to slightly subside. How long should I expect this to go on?

• Altostrata changed the title to Abdullah Abilify
  • Administrator

Welcome, Abdullah.

What were your acute withdrawal symptoms, shortly after you went off the drug? How have they changed?

How do you feel now? How is your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

@Abdullah please see the responses to your posts in this topic. Put your questions and post about your progress here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Week 11 now, no change in withdrawal symptoms. Had none for a week after my last dose of abilify, then was hit by the most severe depression I've ever experienced. Other symptoms :

(Physical) Tremors, occasional feelings of nausea, Fatigue

(Psychological) Anhedonia, severe Depersonalization/Derealization, severe decline in cognitive abilities, stammering

On 11/1/2019 at 3:14 AM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Abdullah.

What were your acute withdrawal symptoms, shortly after you went off the drug? How have they changed?

How do you feel now? How is your sleep?

I noticed I was becoming increasingly depressed during the week after my last dose, but apart from that, no other major symptoms.

Things have (unfortunately) not changed.

Apart from the strange dreams, my sleep is fine.

• Administrator

How much Abilify were you taking? Did you have any adverse effects while you were taking it?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How much Abilify were you taking? Did you have any adverse effects while you were taking it?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

I was taking 10mg daily. Started having severe akathisia and noticed my creativity and wit seemed dulled. My confidence also started to plummet. Decided to taper off (in a week) after the 15th day of starting it

• Administrator

Your nervous system is still recovering from the adverse reaction.

We often suggest reinstatement of a very small amount of the drug, such as 0.5mg in your case, to stop withdrawal symptoms, but since you had an adverse reaction to the drug, you might get it again.

How have your symptoms changed in the last month?

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Your nervous system is still recovering from the adverse reaction.

We often suggest reinstatement of a very small amount of the drug, such as 0.5mg in your case, to stop withdrawal symptoms, but since you had an adverse reaction to the drug, you might get it again.

How have your symptoms changed in the last month?

I took Abilify from September 1 - 22, 2019. Withdrawal symptoms appeared suddenly on September 30th and haven't improved/changed since. I reinstated 10mg on 25th November. More than a week has passed since then with no improvement in symptoms. Will wait for a few more days then quit Abilify for good and wait out the withdrawal

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Abdullah said:

I reinstated 10mg on 25th November.

You had a serious adverse reaction to 10mg. If I were you, I'd cut this in half, take 5mg and see if that helps. More is not better.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I'd cut this in half, take 5mg and see if that helps.

I'll try that. Thank you for the advice.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You had a serious adverse reaction to 10mg. 

This time it doesn't seem to be affecting me. I'm not entirely sure why though (Possibly because of the depersonalisation? Or have I reinstated too late?)

Hi Abdullah,

Sorry to hear you are suffering so much.

Since you had such a severe reaction to this drug after just taking it for two weeks I would be very careful not to jump around in dose out of despair. Just some personal advice.This might increase your symptoms even more.

I would advise you to follow the thoughts given here by mods and fellow sufferers. (You are doing that already;))

I've heard too many stories in my life of people visiting a doctor after adverse reaction and they were immediately prescribed another antidepressant. Be very wise and careful with that.

I would really like to know how the 5 mg ability is working for you!

Good luck and stay positive!!

Cheers

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold / 08apr 1.38 mg / 15apr 1.36 mg /

• 2 weeks later...

I've had to CT Abilify again

Noticed no change for the time I reinstated it (3 weeks). CT'd because it was causing breast growth and I worried that if I continued longer I'd have to get surgery done. 

I suppose I'll just have to ride this out. 

Anyone else CT'd an antipsychotic?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 12/20/2019 at 11:45 AM, Abdullah said:

Anyone else CT'd an antipsychotic?

Abdullah, I moved this post from the new thread you created in the intro section. Please note there's only one intro thread per member. 

There's a thread you may want to read about people stopping various types of drugs cold turkey: 

Cold turkey or rapid taper success stories?

As Alto mentioned earlier in your post, you were only this drug a relatively short period of time and may be dealing more with an adverse reaction. This is the timeline for a for a cold turkey of an antidepressant, but a lot of this is also true for an antipsychotic. It can take a long time to recover.

CT and Fast Tapers

Although you took this drug for more than a week, because this post is about an adverse reaction, it may be helpful: 

But I only took it for a Week

You may find some ways of helping your symptoms here:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Are you currently taking any supplements? We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

You may try to add in these (one at a time) to see if they help with your symptoms. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Abdullah: Abilify
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop in and say I've been slowly feeling much better for the past few months. My blank mind (extreme dp/dr) has almost gone away, and I can function somewhat normally now (I still have mild dp/dr though). I've also started university again! 

• 2 months later...

@Abdullah

How are you feeling? I also suffer from blank mind, very few spontanious thoughts, dp/dr and total loss of all emotions. Very bad cognitive function. Hard to remember who i used to be. How long until you started to see significant improvement?

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Things started improving (gradually) after 15 months I think.

Hello, Abdullah! From my point of view, your story has great motivational potential, you are a very persistent and strong-willed person, worthy of all respect.

Unfortunately, I am now experiencing almost the same symptoms as you a few years ago: four months ago I abruptly stopped olanzapine, which I had been taking for only three weeks, and now I am suffering incredibly, and without any hint of improvement in my well-being.

Sorry for the perhaps tactless question: if you try to quantify the intermediate results of your rehabilitation process, then by what percentage have you recovered now?

Oct 20 2021 - Nov 11 2021: 2.5 mg (1.25 mg. in the morning and 1.25 mg. in the evening) -- abruptly stopped taking the drug (cold turkey)
Nov 15 2021: an attempt to reinstate olanzapine (I don’t remember the exact dosage, but it was 1.25 or 2.5 mg.), failed due to my fear of this drug
Nov 16 2021: took 25 mg. quetiapine at night
Nov 17 2021 - Nov 18 2021: took olanzapine at a dosage of 1.25 mg for two days in a row, stopped the drug again
Nov 20 2021 - Nov 29 2021: chaotically took quetiapine these days (I think I took 25 mg one night and 12.5 mg the other) and olanzapine (also a couple of times 1.25 mg each, and the last dose fell on November 29th)
Dec 2021 - Jan 2021: for a month and a half to two months I took many different natural supplements (fish oil, 5-HTP, St. John's wort, green tea extract, tyrosine, biotin, citicoline, Alpha GPC) and multivitamin complexes (B vitamins, for example); in addition, in the same weeks I took about 8-10 tablets of phenazepam, but I never did this even for two days in a row, because I just needed to relieve my anxiety, even if temporarily; from time to time I also took hydroxyzine during these months with an approximate regularity equal to one tablet (dosage - 0.25 mg.) in 5-6 days; in the first 14 days of January, I was also injected intramuscularly with peptides (cortexin)
beginning of February 2022: four days in a row I used 37.5 mg. venlafaxine, 25 mg. lamotrigine and 50 mg. trazodone (soon gave up all drugs due to lack of visible effects)
end of February 2022: I once tried a 50mg sulpiride capsule and a few days later took a 250mg Phenibut tablet (again, no noticeable effects)

• 6 months later...
On 1/8/2022 at 7:47 AM, Abdullah said:

Hi everyone, just wanted to drop in and say I've been slowly feeling much better for the past few months. My blank mind (extreme dp/dr) has almost gone away, and I can function somewhat normally now (I still have mild dp/dr though). I've also started university again! 

Good for u abdullah 

Have u experienced anhedonia due to the drug adverse rx/wd, if so has anhedonia disappeared for u?

Have u returned normal physically,mentally, emotionally?

Sep 2019  Escitalopram 5 mg  

Mar 2020   Escitalopram 40mg

May 2020    Escitalopram 35 mg+25mg Clompiramine 

Sep 2020  Escitalopram 20mg +25mg Clompiramine

Dec 2020  Escitalopram 15mg+ 25 mg Clompiramine 

Jan 2021 Escitalopram 10 mg + 25 mgClompiramine 

Feb 2021 Escitalopram 5mg +25 mgClompiramine 

Mar 2021  50 mg Clompiramine for few days 

Mar 2021 25 mg Clompiramine 

Apr 2021 0 mg Clompiramine " this step without consulting the Dr"

Hi Lilly. Yes the anhedonia has almost gone away, but I wouldn't say I'm in perfect health. Things have just improved to the point where I'm able to function normally again. I'd say I'm about 90% back to my old, pre-abilify self.

11 hours ago, Lilly998 said:

Good for u abdullah 

Have u experienced anhedonia due to the drug adverse rx/wd, if so has anhedonia disappeared for u?

Have u returned normal physically,mentally, emotionally?

48 minutes ago, Abdullah said:

Hi Lilly. Yes the anhedonia has almost gone away, but I wouldn't say I'm in perfect health. Things have just improved to the point where I'm able to function normally again. I'd say I'm about 90% back to my old, pre-abilify self.

Alhamdullah for this 🕊🌻

This is awesome I am so happy for u ️  and I hope I heal soon too 🌻

When did ur anhedonia resolved completely after 15 months off or what ?

Wish u the best of health Abdullah

Sep 2019  Escitalopram 5 mg  

Mar 2020   Escitalopram 40mg

May 2020    Escitalopram 35 mg+25mg Clompiramine 

Sep 2020  Escitalopram 20mg +25mg Clompiramine

Dec 2020  Escitalopram 15mg+ 25 mg Clompiramine 

Jan 2021 Escitalopram 10 mg + 25 mgClompiramine 

Feb 2021 Escitalopram 5mg +25 mgClompiramine 

Mar 2021  50 mg Clompiramine for few days 

Mar 2021 25 mg Clompiramine 

Apr 2021 0 mg Clompiramine " this step without consulting the Dr"

8 hours ago, Lilly998 said:

Alhamdullah for this 🕊🌻

This is awesome I am so happy for u ️  and I hope I heal soon too 🌻

When did ur anhedonia resolved completely after 15 months off or what ?

Wish u the best of health Abdullah

Improvement started after the 15 month mark. It took about 4 months until I felt somewhat 'normal' (i.e close to being my old self). I'd also started university then and feel the socializing aspect of it helped (in accelerating recovery); interacting with people, discussing coursework, completing group assignments etc

On 3/15/2022 at 7:01 PM, Landis said:

Hello, Abdullah! From my point of view, your story has great motivational potential, you are a very persistent and strong-willed person, worthy of all respect.

Unfortunately, I am now experiencing almost the same symptoms as you a few years ago: four months ago I abruptly stopped olanzapine, which I had been taking for only three weeks, and now I am suffering incredibly, and without any hint of improvement in my well-being.

Sorry for the perhaps tactless question: if you try to quantify the intermediate results of your rehabilitation process, then by what percentage have you recovered now?

Hi, and thank you for the kind words! I'd say I'm about 90% back to being old me

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone, it's been almost a year and I thought I'd drop in and give an update. I've rejoined medical school now, wrote a research paper a last month, started a blog and (just now) have cleared my USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exam)! 

what I'd advise everyone to do is that no matter how hard it seems, try your best to live as 'normally' as possible and socialize (with people you like) as much as you can. Have goals you can work towards and try to create meaning

hey shep, I'd say I'm mostly recovered. But completely functional, back to normal etc. I've found it got much better after joining med school, the socializing and working/discussing academics with like minded folk  helped a lot imo

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/27/2023 at 12:25 PM, Abdullah said:

hey shep, I'd say I'm mostly recovered. But completely functional, back to normal etc. I've found it got much better after joining med school, the socializing and working/discussing academics with like minded folk  helped a lot imo

This is excellent, Abdullah. Thanks for continuing to post updates. 

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Please see this topic:  How to write your success story

• Mentor
On 9/27/2023 at 9:25 AM, Abdullah said:

This is great news, thank you for sharing! Gives me hope for the other side of these meds. ☀️ Congratulations on med school!! A doctor with lived experience with psych meds is so important, I bet you'll have a great perspective with patients who are suffering side effects (who I'm sure you'll meet in any realm of medicine you go into). Hope you're taking care of yourself as much as possible, med school has to be a heavy work load.

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed