KarenK: New and trying to reinstate effexor

Karenk

My brief history... I have been on several different antidepressants/with trazodone for about 23 years. Most recently I was on effexor 150mg for about 5 months and before that I was on cymbalta for 3 years. I went cold turkey from effexor/ trazodone 13 weeks ago and endured all the normal withdrawals, but at 12weeks I started having anxiety/akathisia. Internal shakes, electrical jolt feelings and severe nauseous and insomnia. After reading on other groups I decided to try to reinstate at a low dose of 15 beads from a 150mg capsule. Today is the 4th day of reinstatement and still very bad off with severe nauseous and internal restlessness. I think I am also in paws. I could really use any and all suggestions. Am I wrong to think reinstateing at 13 weeks will help? I also take magnesium glycinate and Omega 3's, thyroid medication (liothyronine).

Thank you for any comments

Karenk

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Karenk.

No, you're not wrong to think that reinstatement can help.  Reinstatement works most predictably within 3 months of the last dose and you're right at that mark.  Symptoms showing up around the 3-month time frame is very typical.

Did you CT both the Effexor and the Trazodone?

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  
Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  We usually suggest very small reinstatement dosage.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  

How many beads are in your 150mg capsule?  I ask this so we can determine what dosage you have reinstated and whether it should be adjusted.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

It will take about a week for it to get to steady-state in your bloodstream, and the effect should get stronger during that time.
It still may take some weeks or months for your nervous system to settle down. You probably will continue to have waves and windows, but symptoms won't be as intense. 

It's good you're taking the magnesium and omegas, which are the only supplements we recommend.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can answer my questions, ask questions of your own and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Yes, I stopped both the effexor and Trazodone at the same time. I just counted the beads (not easy) and there are 413 (give or take a couple, they kept jumping at me). 

Thank you so much, today has been horrendous. Couch bound for 4 days.

Karenk

• Administrator

Welcome, Karenk.

4 hours ago, Karenk said:

Today is the 4th day of reinstatement and still very bad off with severe nauseous and internal restlessness.

Do you feel any effect from the 5 beads? How did you make the switch from Cymbalta to Effexor? How did you feel after that?

Why did you cold turkey Effexor and trazodone?

When was the last time your thyroid drug dosage was adjusted? To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
38 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

5 beads

Alto, it was 15 beads.  Each bead is approximately .36mg, so she reinstated 5.4mg.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

AltoStrata,  I am taking 15 beads not 5 for 4 days now. No difference yet from the reinstatement, but I understand it can take a week to feel anything. I did do something different today...while searching akathisia online I read that it can be treated with beta blocker and I happen to have some metoprolol 25mg so out of desperation I tried one and within 30 minutes I felt some relief from the inner turmoil.  My doctor straight switched me from cymbalta to effexor. Because I have short term memory loss I honestly can't remember how I felt shortly after the change. I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension and was put on beta blocker to lower heart rate and and another drug flornief to raise blood pressure. I didn't want to be on all these meds so (with my doctors ok I went cold turkey off the antidepressants to see if they were the cause of the O.H. ( I had read where it can be a side effect) and stopped the bb and flornief. At the same time that I did this, my doctor wanted me to stop my thyroid medication (hypothyroidism/hashimotos) and wait a month to see what my levels were (he thought they were low and I didn't need medication) even though I explained my whole thyroid history to him. Anyways a a month later we tested my thyroid and my levels were very high so he put me back on meds. I will put my withdrawal history in later since it says to use computer, but it's been 13 1/2 weeks since I went cold turkey.

Thank you

Karenk

• Altostrata changed the title to KarenK New and trying to reinstate effexor.
  • Administrator

My mistake, 15 beads. What time of day do you take them, any change in symptom pattern afterward?

Exactly what drugs are you taking now, at what times of day and dosages? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I take the beads at 6AM and have not had any symptom change after taking them. Am still very nauseous and shakes/jittery internal after. I take effexor 15 beads 6am, liothyronine 6.25 mcg 9am,  metoprolol 25mg 11am and estradiol .50 at 1pm.

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

estradiol liothyronine

Applies to: estradiol, liothyronine

Before taking estradiol, tell your doctor if you also use liothyronine. You may need dose adjustments or special tests in order to safely take both medications together. If you are already taking estradiol and liothyronine, your thyroid levels may need to be measured if your dose of estradiol is changed or stopped. You should notify your doctor if you have symptoms of low thyroid such as tiredness, feeling cold, constipation, unexplained weight gain, depression, joint or muscle pain, thinning hair or hair loss, dry skin, hoarseness, and abnormal menstrual periods. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using your medications without first talking to your doctor first.

Switch to professional interaction data

Minor

metoprolol liothyronine

Applies to: Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol), liothyronine

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed. 

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

• Administrator

Please add Effexor to your drug interactions report.

You can see some potential interactions to discuss with your doctor. You may want to do further research into estradiol with liothyronine.

Do you feel better or worse after taking the 15 beads? It will take at least 4 days for the Effexor to fully take effect. You'll need to keep notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day for at least a week. Use this format Keep daily notes of drug schedule and symptoms to track patterns and progress

Moderate

venlafaxine food

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of venlafaxine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with venlafaxine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of venlafaxine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

It showed no interaction of effexor with the other meds.

Today is day 5 of 15 beads. I actually started a log today of med times and how I felt because yesterday was such a horrible day. After I take the effexor in the morning I have no different symptoms...no better no worse. Although today I was not as nauseous as I have been. Still very agitated/shaky/akathisia internal/light-headed. I feel like this will never end. Wondering if I should add 1 bead? I don't know if 15 beads is the dose to start at to get these horrible symptoms to go away since I was on 150mg when I went cold turkey.

• Administrator

Isn't not nauseous a small improvement?

Your right :) I'm still nauseous, just not as bad and that is an improvement. I know I need to be patient, but it's hard when I'm home/couch  bound from this withdrawal and this anxiety/akathisia is beyond what any person should have to endure.  I will continue on the 15 beads for a few more days as I definitely don't want to make things any worse. I live alone ( 59, divorced and son is grown) and when it's unbearable I wish I had someone here with me.

Thank you so much for your help.

• ChessieCat changed the title to KarenK: New and trying to reinstate effexor