Sign in to follow this  
Altostrata

UK's NICE health guidelines now caution about severe and prolonged antidepressant withdrawal symptoms

Altostrata

The United Kingdom's medical treatment arbiter National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) just revised its guidelines for the use of antidepressants to treat depression.

You might print out this article from the UK's Royal Pharmaceutical Society journal for your doctors and pharmacists.

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/nice-amends-depression-guideline-highlighting-severe-and-long-lasting-withdrawal-symptoms/20207226.article

NICE amends depression guideline highlighting 'severe' and long-lasting withdrawal symptoms

The Pharmaceutical Journal 22 OCT 2019 By Julia Robinson

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has amended its guidelines on depression in adults to highlight that antidepressant withdrawal symptoms may be severe in some patients.

The guidance, which was published in 2009 originally said that antidepressant withdrawal symptoms were usually “mild” and “self-limiting” over the course of a week.

The amendment, dated September 2019, clarifies that there can be “substantial variation in people’s experience” and that symptoms can persist for months or more and be “more severe for some patients”.

It also advises that before stopping antidepressant medication, patients should discuss the decision with their practitioner.

The amendments are in line with a position statement released by the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych) in May 2019.

NICE delayed the release of a planned full guideline update due in 2018 after a coalition of 14 organisations, including the Royal College of Psychiatrists, British Psychological Society and the charity Mind, said the draft of the updated guideline was underpinned by a flawed methodology, a lack of transparency and several inconsistencies.

They added that, if the guideline was published as it was, it could “seriously impede the care of millions of people in the UK suffering from depression, potentially even causing clinical harm” and demanded a full revision.

VincentV

This is a good beginning.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:22 PM, bubbles said:

The tapering section 1.9.2 does talk about problems stopping but the recommended taper period is very short.

Yes it does. I believe they have put out a call for more research on tapering. I'm sure that they will eventually revise these but not until "harder" evidence for longer tapering becomes available. We need to agitate for more research. Hopefully acknowledging the problem will lead to wider acknowledgement and more official data collection which will then lead on to more research. Its an extremely long battle. For some its already lasted 30 years already. I have hope though that within the next ten years we'll at least see more sensible tapering advice and more useful help depensed from Drs. I believe some kind of new helpline for those who are dependent on prescribed medication is due to be set up shortly, though I'm a little sketchy on the details. 

bubbles
8 hours ago, VincentV said:

have hope though that within the next ten years we'll at least see more sensible tapering advice and more useful help depensed from Drs. I believe some kind of new helpline for those who are dependent on prescribed medication is due to be set up shortly, though I'm a little sketchy on the details. 

I think research is needed and I'm surprised that they're sticking to such a rapid taper when they're acknowledging that people suffer, presumably when following those guidelines.