Stormybelle: and Effexor XR

Stormybelle

I am 52 years old. 53 next month. I have taken an antidepressant/ anti anxiety medication for about 20 years. I will put my history in my signature. 
After speaking to my doctor I started to come off the Effexor xr. I wish I knew then all I have learned in the past month. But all I can do is learn and try to make my current situation as best as possible and then pass my experiences on to others so they can learn from my ups and downs. 
Originally on 75mg of Effexor XR. 
Switched to regular Effexor and took 50 mg in am and 25 mg in pm for 1 week. 
Continuing with regular Effexor, 2nd week I took 25 mg in am and 25 mg in pm. 
Week 3 I took 25 mg in afternoon. 
Week 4 no Effexor. 
Week 5 begins tomorrow. 

Yesterday was a good day. Other than a headache, I was in a good mood, felt good, and was happy. I had some brain zaps last night. I’ve had them since I dropped from 50 mg but fortunately they have not been nearly as bad as when I accidentally forgot to take a dose of this evil stuff. Probably my biggest complaints have been a constant headache and the feeling of motion sickness. 

I have had a couple of complete emotional breakdowns. Lots of tears and extremely moody. I’ve learned that I shouldn’t try to change my windshield piper during carpool, especially when I don’t know how to do it. I’ve learned that when I talk to anyone about me and how I’m doing, I break down and cry. 

I have the support of my doctor, her PA, and the two best pharmacists ever. 

I know I came off this evil stuff too soon. I know if I’m going to reinstate I need to do it soon. Should I reinstate? And if so, at what dose?

Current medications

atenolol 50 mg...Benadryl 25 mg, started October 2019...clonazepam 1 mg...cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg injected ever other week...donepezil 10 mg...famotidine 20 mg, started October 2019...folic acid 0.8 mg...macu health 1 capsule, started December 2017...methylphenidate 10 mg as needed...naltrexone 3.5 mg...pantoprazole 40 mg, started spring of 2019...qnasal 2x80 mcg...serenol 2 tablets, started December 2017...ginger root 550 mg twice a day, started October 2019...full spectrum cbd 10mg/ml, started October 2019 

I forgot to mention that I have also been extremely hot or extremely cold. I also have MS and I do not want the stoppage of this evil stuff to cause a relapse. 

I didn’t add it to my signature because I haven’t started it yet, but I will soon start on an Omega 3. 

For a couple of weeks I’ve been reading posts from here but didn’t realize this group was still active. Most things I saw were old but very relevant. Thanks for all the help you’ve already provided me. ❤️

Current medications

atenolol 50 mg...Benadryl 25 mg, started October 2019...clonazepam 1 mg...cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg injected ever other week...donepezil 10 mg...famotidine 20 mg, started October 2019...folic acid 0.8 mg...macu health 1 capsule, started December 2017...methylphenidate 10 mg as needed...naltrexone 3.5 mg...pantoprazole 40 mg, started spring of 2019...qnasal 2x80 mcg...serenol 2 tablets, started December 2017...ginger root 550 mg twice a day, started October 2019...full spectrum cbd 10mg/ml, started October 2019 

Originally on 75mg of Effexor XR. 

Switched to regular Effexor and took 50 mg in am and 25 mg in pm for 1 week. 

Continuing with regular Effexor, 2nd week I took 25 mg in am and 25 mg in pm. 

Week 3 I took 25 mg in afternoon. 

Week 4 no Effexor. 

Week 5 begins today. 

So I have officially not taken any Effexor in 8 days. I feel that I’m doing ok. Day 6 good day. Day 7. Rough until I cried and then I felt much better. Day 8. Headache. The headache has been constant since week 3. I’ve had some brain zaps, usually at night or early in the morning. I did have a lot more week 3 but it has gotten better. 

I know this is not the way this group recommends to taper. But I didn’t know y’all existed 5 weeks ago. 

I feel I’m doing better than a lot of people have when doing what I did. Also, I know that by reinstating at a low dose and then tapering much slower might ease my headaches and brain zaps and prevent further problems down the road. 

What I need to know is do I wait it out? Should I reinstate? If so, I want the lowest possible amount. I have a great scale and I’m not afraid to count beads. 

I know that no one is seeing my posts because I’m new. Yet my window for safely reinstating is closing. 

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you! ❤️

Current medications

• Administrator

Welcome, Stormybelle.

I merged your posts, only one Introductions topic to a member. Please post your questions about your situation here, with updates on your progress.

Do you have any immediate-release Effexor left? You might try reinstatement with 1mg to start, see what it does. You can make a liquid to take a small amount, see Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

It might be enough to reduce the withdrawal symptoms. You'd stabilize on it for a month or so, then taper off by tiny amounts.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Stormybelle: and Effexor XR