SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

psychfree88: Tapering off pristiq

psychfree88

• Administrator

I AGREE!!!!!!!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Friends,

I tried to convince my pdoc for compounded pristiq prescription but got a weird look.

Infact he didnt even address it.

About slow taper:

He said to me that internet gets a lot of complaints and if i face issues then he will switch me to prozac or lexapro.

I have started my taper and i am on 37.5 mg since one week and zero withdrawal until now.

I am taking fish oil and magnesium,but pdoc told me no clinical trial has been done on these supplements but there is no harm.

I hope to call him and ask for prozac if i see any major issue.

He also said tapering is my decision(due to excessive weight gain) and he would like me to stay on the medicine for 11 months to avoid relapse..

• Administrator

That kind of response is very typical.

Are you cutting a 50mg tablet into quarters?

Some people can taper quickly with no problems. But it can take a while for withdrawal symptoms to start, and if they do, you will wish you had tapered more gradually.

Do not count on switching to Prozac if you run into problems. Sometimes it doesn't work.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alto,

Yes, i am cutting the tablets.

No issues until now.

i dont know what problem he has giving comp* pharm precription.

anyways my new schedule is:

37.5-for 1 month

25-for 1 month

12.5-for 1 month

6-for 2 weeks

wish me safety and luck:-)

• Administrator

Most doctors don't know what gradual tapering means, and they don't write prescriptions for it.

It's good that you're trying the first decrease for a month.

Good luck to you! Please let us know how you're doing.

All,

A quick update:No physical withdrawal issues until now.

However i have seen a loss of motivation in the mornings,unable to concentrate well at job.

Is this going to become worse,before it gets better?

• Administrator

Don't risk it, taper slower.

Yes,i will likely stay at 37.5mg for 2 months..

is it ok to drink coffee in morning for alertness?

• Administrator

Caffeine can add to trouble sleeping at night. It has a very long half-life.

Quick update:

I am doing great over all.

I felt really sharp at work,i think i am getting my oldself back...yay!!!

I have read a book by claire weekes and it has helped me understand my underlying issue.

I text messaged my doctor and he is happy with my progress and is OK with taper schedule.

I woke up well rested and refreshed,ready to go..

Well,today morning wasnt great,for bfast i had croissant with egg and cheese.

Its either that or the magnesium citrate.

I will try to take magnesium at night instead of mornings.

• Administrator

Sounds like you need to take less mag citrate at a time -- divide the doses!