SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rrsfc: a lot of drugs later some stabilization

Rrsfc

@Rrsfc nice thing about the forums here is not having to be alone!  Even my supportive friends don't want to hear too much about my wds, mostly just that's it's going ok now and again.  I remember when one friend nudged me into finally getting of the drugs.  I had picked up Your Drug Might Be Your Problem by Peter Breggin and was reading aghast as the reality of the betrayal from the health system we're supposed to be able to trust was sinking in.  At that stage it felt like a very personal assault and I did feel alone.  Of course it is a personal assault in a very serious way but chatting here it becomes clearer that it's a broader systemic problem rather than feeling that singled out.  I'm so grateful for SA.  It's been a key resource in getting my life back 🙂

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 2 weeks later...

@hayduke I totally agree with you, SA is an unvaluable help and overperscribing psychotropic drugs is a systemic problem. I think I was able to go through the pain of feeling deprived of so many years of my life because of the drugs, now I feel able to move on and regain what's left of life. Sometimes I am eager and think of taking on more than I can handle, I compare myself to others and see that I can't take on as much as them and I feel sad, but then I think it through and I am able to be happy with what I have acomplished, appreciate I already have come a long way and I'm able to manage my challenges to an optimal level for me. I work really hard on improving myself, solving my issues so as I won't need to go back on meds again. I don't know if I will be able to do that, but I'm trying my best. I also resort to forums to help me while going through the tapering process, friends and family are like you said, they don't need to know much, just that it's going ok once in a while.

Today is day 81 of my olanzapine reduction from 2,5mg, day 3 of my 5th drop,  stable on dropping 2,5% every 15 days. Currently at 2mg, 8ml (liquid water taper). The last drop was a bit hard, I think my REM sleep got better because I started waking up in the morning remembering dreams, that was new for me, I didn't remember a single dream for a long time. It was weird, I felt tired, but I also had stressfull events in my life, it could be that too. But overall I feel joy, hope, happiness, I went to a picnic with friends and had a really good time, I used to dread social gatherings because I didn't feel any joy, connection. The present drop is being a breeze, no symptoms whatsoever so far. I usually start feeling headaches at day 2 after the drop, this time I had none of that. I guess different dosage drops will be harder or softer on the system. I feel really well on 2,5% drops every 15 days, I will keep it this way unless I have a particularly hard drop, if this happens I will hold longer. I feel emotions I didn't feel before and I'm trying to work through that, my favourite tool is to journal or think about these issues throughout the day, I also discuss things with my therapist if I feel the need to. So for now things seem to be going well, although I'm worried I won't be able to be completely med free, I fear having another crisis. This year I felt I was on the verge of a crisis and I recovered, I don't know if it was because of still being on meds or because of my self-care strategies. I will only know for sure if I can be med free if I can stop a crisis with self care strategies alone. I was so confident I would be ok with no meds, now I'm more cautious not so confident. The worst thing that could happen in my life would be having a full blown crisis, so I must be carefull. At 2,06125mg I felt well and was able to avoid getting worse, if I go med free and need to go back on meds to avoid a crisis, this is a dose I feel comfortable with. I may get effects on even a lower dosage, but 2mg is not too hard on my system, I tolerate it well and it seems to work for keeping mania away if used as maintenance in the preliminary stages. Thanks again to everyone at SA for helping me get this far in my journey, I feel I would have been lost without your advice and support. I wish you all have a happy day!

2007 - 15mg olanzapine, mood stabilizer, benzo, quetiapine 2009 - aripiprazol, benzo, lamotrigine 100mg 2015 - olzp 15mg, zolpidem 2017 - trazodone 2 weeks, cold turkey, lamotrigine and zolpidem, olzp 15mg, mood stabilizer, benzo 2018 - olzp 5mg, Nov olzp 2,5mg down directly from 5mg no symptoms 2019 - olzp 2,5mg cold turkey Jan after 12 days reinstated, Nov taper cutting pills 14 days reinstated 2,5mg 2020 - failed liquid taper, reinstated 2,5mg, 2022 - liquid taper 2,5% reductions Jan, huge crisis in May up to 30mg, tapered, reached 2,5mg in Set - decided to stop tapering and remain at 2,5mg olanzapine indefinetely.

Slow and steady wins the race.  Very pleased to hear you're establishing a comfortable rate of descent.

This way if things come up they should be gradual and give you time to hold, and work out with your therapist.

Not to mention keeping real discomfort to a minimum and allowing you to enjoy the good things in life!

I had real doubts as to whether this was possible to achieve for much of the way through.  Having learnt proper self care I'm more than happy it's just a question of completing the taper safely now.  While it's going to be another 2-3 years from here before I'm really close to how I would've been all along without the PTSD, life just keeps improving.  Against the backdrop of a world in struggle I think that's really something.

Cheers

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 2 weeks later...

@hayduke thank you for your support, it means a lot! I wish you a lot of happiness and bliss on your own journey. May everything turn out well for you.

Today is day 100 of my taper 🎂 I am in my 6th drop (1,9375mg), dropping 2,5% of the initial dose (2,5mg olanzapine) every 15 days. I am thankfull everything is going well, recently started doing yoga everyday and deepening my spirituality with books. I am also meditating and started attending a mindfulness based cognitive therapy program. @Altostrata I had a minor episode of psychosis (3 days) that seems to be over 🤗 that I was able to control with mindfulness and breathing techniques, affirmations... It was the first time I was able to control an episode, choosing not to mind the symptoms and just go on with my life and self-care as usual, blocking unwanted thoughts from my mind and promoting rekaxation with these techniques. I also was able to develop a theory about the root causes of my psychosis, now it doesn't feel so difficult or unmanageable anymore. I don't know if without being on any drugs things would have gone so smoothly but it gave me hope that in time I will be able to manage my crisis without resorting to medication, or at least I can use this dosage, so much smaller than what I would have been given at a hospital. Everything I'm trying is being so helpfull! It's a lot of work and time consuming but it's so worth it. I believe the west is so wrong about mental illness treating it with pills, there are better ways to deal with these issues. I'm even contemplating in time trying to get back to my career. But first I must be 100%, I'm 80% at the moment. People that don't see me since I was taking higher dosage of olanzapine think I am so different, so happy. I feel so happy, so grateful for life and for everything I am being able to experience now.

If you read this and you're struggling, thinking you should hold on to medication "just in case" I say just take a leap of faith and try other options as you go down your medications, there's a big chance you will be as pleasently surprised as I was. So all is well, untill me next update 😊

2007 - 15mg olanzapine, mood stabilizer, benzo, quetiapine 2009 - aripiprazol, benzo, lamotrigine 100mg 2015 - olzp 15mg, zolpidem 2017 - trazodone 2 weeks, cold turkey, lamotrigine and zolpidem, olzp 15mg, mood stabilizer, benzo 2018 - olzp 5mg, Nov olzp 2,5mg down directly from 5mg no symptoms 2019 - olzp 2,5mg cold turkey Jan after 12 days reinstated, Nov taper cutting pills 14 days reinstated 2,5mg 2020 - failed liquid taper, reinstated 2,5mg, 2022 - liquid taper 2,5% reductions Jan, huge crisis in May up to 30mg, tapered, reached 2,5mg in Set - decided to stop tapering and remain at 2,5mg olanzapine indefinetely.

• Moderator Emeritus
49 minutes ago, Rrsfc said:

I'm 80% at the moment. People that don't see me since I was taking higher dosage of olanzapine think I am so different, so happy. I feel so happy, so grateful for life and for everything I am being able to experience now.

That's wonderful to read. 😊

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Rrs, you're doing so well, please be extra careful with your tapering. Maybe stay at your current dose for a while, make sure those episodes don't get worse?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

hey just became a member and glad your doing well! i noticed your are on 2.5 water taper of zyprexa....can i ask how you are doing it? as the 2.5mg tablets do not dissolve properly in water! any advice on tapering off zyprexa you have would be most appreciated.  cheers

Cipramil  40mg  1996 to Oct 2017 stopped cold turkey

Only on Zyprexa from now on :   10mg solid form 1998 to Oct 2017

7.5mg solid form  Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 5mg solid form  Oct 2019 to Apr 2020

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

@Rrsfc When the roots of my problem symptoms were starting to show (from having been molested at age 4 or maybe 5 as it turned out), I was fortunate to have found (and I did look!) a clinical psychologist with an excellent understanding of trauma and the sorry state of psychiatry today.  We dove straight in with a couple of sessions to prepare.  We talked about CBT and EMDR.  In my case CBT seemed to be working around the problem whereas EMDR was taking the bull by the horns.  It won't necessarily be everyone's first choice but it's one of the two major healing events in my whole life.  All the dissociation I'd experienced was reversed and there has been none since.  Which I think is bloody amazing, I got my life back.  More here.

5 hours ago, morgana said:

hey just became a member and glad your doing well! i noticed your are on 2.5 water taper of zyprexa....can i ask how you are doing it? as the 2.5mg tablets do not dissolve properly in water! any advice on tapering off zyprexa you have would be most appreciated.  cheers

Hello Morgana,

I wrote a bit a while ago here

Cheers and welcome

@Altostrata I've been considering a hold like you advised let's see how I do the next 6 days. I was really surprised to find a way to deal with the psychosis without meds but being carefull is better than being sorry, thank you for your advice. I was already expecting you to say that and I agree is the safest path.

@ChessieCat thanks 😊

@morgana sure, I use 5mg orodispersible tablets, I break them in half by hand and then dissolve the 2,5mg in 10ml of water measured with a syringe, then capture what I want to take with the syringe, decreasing in 1,25ml drops. I tried 10% I had insomnia, 5% noinsomnia but headaches, this is my ideal drop for now, I tolerate it really well. Olanzapine doesn't completely dissolve on water, but the solution is dispersed enough to be effective. I was anxious at first about this, now I feel it's really easy and safe tapering this way. Good luck on your journey.

@hayduke hi, yesterday I read some of your posts. I'm sorry you suffered but I'm glad you finally found a way to heal. The body keeps score is a excelent book, I'm glad you read it and you can talk of your abuse like you do. In my case psychosis started as a coping mechanism for feeling so discouraged, so sad, so unballanced I could not think straight. I felt strong emotions and I think a part of the self split, like they talk about in IFST. After that happened whenever I felt stress, strong emotions in spring or summertime an episode started. I still don't understand completely what happens but now I am able to deal with it finally. Therapists were not really usefull in my case, my insights and recovery are all my work. They just told me what mainstream psychiatry and psychology also thinks, nothing new. Encouraged me to stay on meds for life 🙄. They don't really understand psychosis... But they were somewhat supportive and I still ocasionally connect with them when I feel it could help. I'll read the rest of your thread, congratulations on being so near the end! Going nearest to nature surely helped you recover, I love walking in nature and I do it often. Thanks for leaving me a comment, have a wonderfull day, filled with bliss. 😊

Cheers @Rrsfc, yeah my psychologist is on the right side of history - very lucky to have found her.  She is supportive of healing properly and a slow taper, and sees mass druggings as atrocious.  I would never recommend to settle for a counsellor or therapist you aren't comfortable to open up with.  

I'd been meditating for years quite self sufficient then the really hard stuff coming up led me to seek the above help.

Holding is great, and so is being able to recognise the first sign of trouble and kick in with the full self care regime.

Bliss, I wish, I have to work tomorrow!  🙂  Cheers, you have a good one too

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Rrsfc said:

@Altostrata I've been considering a hold like you advised let's see how I do the next 6 days. I was really surprised to find a way to deal with the psychosis without meds but being carefull is better than being sorry, thank you for your advice. I was already expecting you to say that and I agree is the safest path.

What I meant was to hold at your current dose for some months. We don't want you going back to the hospital -- you'll end up on more drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, I understood @Altostrata I will hold my dosage the time I feel is needed untill the psychosis is completely gone. In the afternoon it returned so I'll have to monitor it carefully. I don't think it was just the withdrawal that brought it by, I had one of those important AHA moments, very emotional and the psychosis started in that exact moment. It's a tiny voice within myself that talks to me and there are also some physical sensations. This is much much weaker then it usually was and I'm coping, it doesn't affect me much, I sleep really well, and I am able to block it if I need to. But it's there and I don't need to be reminded of how hospitals can be. If necessary I myself will up the dosage untill it clears, but I feel this is something I must face and handle on my own. The awfull fear of it is gone, I feel in control this time. I must be really vigilant and take care of myself. Let's see how this turns out, hopefully it will clear away on its own soon. Winter is coming and usually these phenomenon lose their momentum at that time of the year in my case. Thank you for caring, I will update when I have more news.

• Administrator

Sounds good. Are you working with a therapist? See http://www.hearing-voices.org/

Hi @Rrsfc. I thought I’d drop by your thread to say hello. I too am tapering olanzapine. I also was able to drop from 5mg to 2.5mg without too many issues. Then tried to drop to 1.8mg. I lasted 3 months but then started to get some psychotic symptoms back and the intermittent insomnia I had was starting to get worse. I updosed to 2.5mg and think I am starting to stabilise although not 100% confident in my sleep. Goes well for a few days and then can deteriorate slightly but seems to recover within a few days. I see you had similar problems when you tried to drop too quickly. It gives me hope that you have successfully got down further by going more slowly which is encouraging to see. That’s my plan when I have stabilised for at least 6 months on 2.5mg.

look after yourself on the way down. I think psychosis can actually be a withdrawal symptom due to dopamine super sensitivity rather than necessarily be the illness returning. By going slowly and holding when signs of these symptoms happen hopefully they will resolve as the receptor and signalling returns to baseline. That’s what I’m hoping anyway. I wish you continued success with your taper. 

Sept 2018 - Nov 2018 200mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2018 200mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jan 2019 - mid Feb 2019 reduced sertraline from 200 - 50mg, 7.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Feb 2019- Jun 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jun 2019 - Oct 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine.

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 37.gmg sertraline, 39mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine.

Nov 2019 -Dec 2019 25mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine. Jan 2020 18.75mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Feb 2020 0mg sertraline, 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May 2020 1.8mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Aug 2020 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Stabilised for 9 months @2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May2021 started slow taper from olanzapine, 5% previous dose per month. Oct 2021 1.875mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

thankyou for you reply you made something soooo complicated sooo simple...lol  also not sure if i am replying to the post you sent me or not...not the most high tech...hope you get this message as i appreciate your advice...cheers

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

@Altostrata I've joined hearing voices in my country but it's completely dead... I'll try to join in england. I have 2 therapists that I can see but they are not very helpfull. Psychosis is too stigmatized and people think it's just a matter of taking meds. My psychosis has a deep meaning, meditation seems like a much more important healing tool. I will discuss my situation with my buddhist teacher at the mindfulness training I will be starting this week. I believe I need to do Ego work, because my voice sounds like an Ego... It came to protect me in a vulnerable moment. This needs a deep analysis and understanding.

@BadMedicine hi, glad you're being able to get some control in your taper. I had psychosis comming down too fast and it was differsnt from this psychosis, this is my condition returning but not in a manic state like it used to be. Dopamine sensitivity plus the time of the year plus a emotional upheavel may be the culprits but no worries, I must learn how to handle this. There are a lot of people that hear voices and don't take antipsychotics. My advice to you is as soon you realise you came down too fast updose immediately, don't wait too long. Try 5% or 2,5% drops at this stage, go by feel, we are all different. I don't know when I'll be off this med but I am increasingly confident I will make it. Be positive, keep a detailed journal, be patient and you will make it.

@morgana thank you, glad I could help. 😊

Hi everyone, just spoke to my bipolar expert psychologist and she also believes my psychosis is caused by disconnected parts of the self. While we were talking I could sense them, there is more than one. I had to up my olanzapine to 5mg the last 2 days as a precaution, because I tend to get manic over lack of sleep and I was on the verge of that. I'll be at this dosage untill monday, if all goes well I'll be dropping to 2,5mg and stay there while I do therapy. She is a good therapist, my resistances to her were coming from the disconnected parts, today I really felt it. Now that I know this I can move forward and do the psychotherapy I need to heal. So I'm kind of happy because I'm finally getting to the root of things and after the therapy is over I can try getting off the meds. This might take a while but recovery is not a straight arrow. For now I'll try to focus on calming, accepting and getting to know this disconnected self parts. I was really surprised by this, because I don't remember anything in my life so serious it could lead to these symptoms. I'll also meet with my buddhist meditation teacher to see what she says, mindfulness, yoga and lovingkindness meditations have been key on not getting manic or disconnected from the world and being able to manage the voices. I also got in a facebook hearing voices group and I will research this subject further. I have a lot of work ahead and I thought I was already reaching the end of my journey, go figure... I'm really positive that I'll be able to solve my issues in time. My worst fear was having to go to the hospital and being polidrugged, but I seem to have this under control for now. I will be seeing my psychiatrist too next week, let's see what he says, I'll try to keep an open mind but I'm very weary of psychiatrists these days. If anyone has any advice I'll be open to consider it. Thank you everyone for reading and being here for me, I really appreciate it. May you all have a happy and peacefull day.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Rrsfc said:

I had to up my olanzapine to 5mg the last 2 days as a precaution, because I tend to get manic over lack of sleep and I was on the verge of that. I'll be at this dosage untill monday, if all goes well I'll be dropping to 2,5mg and stay there while I do therapy. 

- According to your signature you were at 2.06125mg since 1st August : did you went straight up to 5mg two days ago ?

(can you please update your signature to reflect recent changes ?)

I'm not sure I understand  : why upping your dose to 5mg for a week then drop back to 2.5 mg ?

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

@Erell I'll update when I can, going up was needed to prevent a manic crisis from taking place due to insomnia. 5mg it's like a crisis dosage. I'll drop in a few days to see if I can stay at a lower dosage 2,5mg that is my prefered maintenance dosage. I never had any issues coming down from 5 to 2,5mg in the past, I did it a couple of times. Hope this clears things up. I'm not tapering anymore and I won't be in the near future. Now I'm dealing with my underlying condition. When I feel I am able to taper again I'll taper 2,5% every 15 days from 2,5mg, it may take months or years before this can happen.

• Administrator

What happened to disturb your sleep?

Some people are so sensitive to lack of sleep, that alone can precipitate symptoms interpreted as psychotic. These people need to be very carefut to maintain regular sleep schedules.

Going up and down in dosage is not a good way to manage your symptoms. It can sensitize you to the drug, causing worse symptoms. It's best to pick one steady dosage and stay at it. Afer a long while, you might very slowly reduce it -- but you still need to maintain your sleep schedule throughout.

We help people taper off drugs, we don't presume to treat psychosis or provide monitoring for its drug treatment. You will have to work with your therapist on this. When you want to taper off the drug, please let us know.

The psychosis is accompanied by a difficulty to fall asleep due to anxiety but I also feel phisiological changes like weight and appetite loss. It's a whole package that leads to mania and if I get manic it gets really impredictable, I have to take huge doses to stabilize. The psychosis came first, not the sleeplessness. I have two roads, come down now to 2,5mg and try to stay there, see if it's enough to sleep well and do therapy maybe with some psychotic symptoms or stay at 5mg untill the psychosis resumes and after this come down again to 2,5mg, doing therapy without the symptoms. The last is safer but the first would be better for the therapy work, I'll next week talk to my psychiatrist and see what he thinks. I will make my decision and go on with my journey, I'll come back when I start tapering again from 2,5mg. I usually handle very well dose adjustements from 2,5 to 5 or from 5 to 2,5, comming off 2,5 it's what's tricky. Thank you for all your suggestions, I'll come back when I am able to taper again, it might be a long time from now. You really helped me not to feel so alone. Yesterday I confided my symptoms to a close friend for the first time and I felt support, it was really good. Things are going well despite this, I am hopefull in time I'll be completely healed and able to come off the medications for good. I will continue to work towards this goal with all my strength.

• Administrator

I need to point out you might have become a little overenthusiastic when reducing your drugs. If you're susceptible to psychosis, you must be especially careful to go slowly. It's important you not trigger your psychosis episodes. If your sleep starts to break up, you're going too fast.

Bouncing from 2.5mg to 5mg may not be a good idea. I would discuss supersensitization with your doctors.

There may be a minimal but effective level at which you'll want to stay, to control your symptoms. 2.5mg or 2.75 or 3mg may be enough.

It is possible after a good long while, you'd be able to very carefully reduce more, but depending on how you manage your symptoms, you might stay on a little bit of the drug.

• 1 month later...

@Altostrata  The sleep disruption was related to the psychosis, not prior. I was tapering slow enough, I had no symptoms. For psychosis only 5mg or more work, for mania 2mg 2,5mg is enough, so I did the adjustements I needed, since I had psychosis. My condition requires me to go up and down the dosages, or stay at 5mg, which is completely out of the question, I did it a year and it was awfull. I´m stuck at going up and down as needed but this never happened to me more than once a year so it´s not that bad. I´m looking into non medical alternatives to deal with the psychosis but untill now nothing has worked as this drug. But the crisis was much milder this time, so something is working.

Hello everyone, last time I posted I was at 5mg olanzapine to control a psychotic crisis. After speaking to a psychologist and psychiatrist I decided to maintain the 5mg a month after the last psychotic symptom, and that´s what happened, I took it for 45 days. The crisis seems to be gone, and 5 days ago I went down to 2,5mg olanzapnine again. I did this in the past without issues and this time I had no symptoms whatsoever again, the only thing that can happen is getting psychosis again if I didn´t wait enough time, let´s wait and see, so far so good. I am planning on stabilizing on this dosage at least a month and then start slow tapering from there 2,5 percent every 15 days untill I reach 2mg, like I did the last time, but stop there. If all goes well after that (it will be springtime by then) I will hold untill the next fall and only try to taper further in this time of year that is not as dangerous as spring and summer. I thought really hard on what happened for me to get psychotic again, I feel it must have been stress and the tapering process combined, because I think my issues are pretty much sorted out by now. I read about GABA and how it can calm the dopamine  related isssues, what do you think about taking it while tapering? It was advice of a holistic psychiatrist I read online. She made a list of a lot of supplements that should be taken while tapering antipsychotics and this one catched my interest. I know you only advise magnesium and omega 3, I take omega 3, magnesium I tried 2 days but I didn´t sleep well, don´t know if it was the magnesim or not so decided not to take it since I was handing the taper well. But this is igeneral advice, in my special case, to help calm down any dopamine instability reactions it maybe can work? Let me know what you advise, thanks for caring and being here for me through all this. The crisis was a setback but I learned and moved on, hope not to make any mistakes, or at least not the sames this time. I am decided to live on the least meds possible and I will try as many times needed untill I succeed.

@Altostrata please advise on how long should I stay on 2,5mg before restart tapering 2,5 percent. I thought a month but I realise it may be too soon. 2, 3 months? I will bring up super sensitization with my doctor in our next appointment. What do you think of my seasonal tapering plan?Thank you very much in advance, I really appreciate your advice.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:23 PM, BadMedicine said:

Hi @Rrsfc. I thought I’d drop by your thread to say hello. I too am tapering olanzapine. I also was able to drop from 5mg to 2.5mg without too many issues. Then tried to drop to 1.8mg. I lasted 3 months but then started to get some psychotic symptoms back and the intermittent insomnia I had was starting to get worse. I updosed to 2.5mg and think I am starting to stabilise although not 100% confident in my sleep. Goes well for a few days and then can deteriorate slightly but seems to recover within a few days. I see you had similar problems when you tried to drop too quickly. It gives me hope that you have successfully got down further by going more slowly which is encouraging to see. That’s my plan when I have stabilised for at least 6 months on 2.5mg.

look after yourself on the way down. I think psychosis can actually be a withdrawal symptom due to dopamine super sensitivity rather than necessarily be the illness returning. By going slowly and holding when signs of these symptoms happen hopefully they will resolve as the receptor and signalling returns to baseline. That’s what I’m hoping anyway. I wish you continued success with your taper. 

@BadMedicine I just reread your post, at the time I first read it I wasn't doing very well. Thanks for sharing with me your experience, I believe it was a mix of things that brought about the psychosis, but the taper may have played a huge role, due to the dopamine super sensitivity as you say. To prevent this next time I will make a seasonal plan, only tapering in fall and winter. I am considering trying GABA but I will have to think it well through... In the crisis I wanted to up my dosage to 2,5mg (from 1,96mg) but my family and my doctor wanted me to go back up to 5mg, I couldn't try just upping a bit like you said. I wanted to do that but I was also so frightened with the hole thing (that I would get hospitalized again and end up polidrugged and with huge dosages) that I didn't put up a fight and agreed on taking 5mg for a while. Like I said before I had psychotic symptoms while fast tapering and they were different, not so strong, I really thought it was my disease, but now I don't know. I only went fast in the beginning (10% then 5%), at the end I was tapering 2,5% every 15 days and it was just right. I believe the cumulative weight of the taper plus the time of the year were big factors in my failure to taper. I believe I need longer holds once in a while, and I'll implement that. Now I'm on 2,5mg holding for some time before trying to taper again, don't know how long yet. I hope your taper is going well, I'd be happy to talk some more if you want 😊. All the best to you!

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Rrsfc said:

@Altostrata please advise on how long should I stay on 2,5mg before restart tapering 2,5 percent. I thought a month but I realise it may be too soon. 2, 3 months? I will bring up super sensitization with my doctor in our next appointment. What do you think of my seasonal tapering plan?Thank you very much in advance, I really appreciate your advice.

You've just made this reduction, is that correct? How many times have you found you cannot reduce below 2.5mg?

I think your seasonal tapering plan may get you into trouble, sooner or later. We provide peer support for tapering off psychiatric drugs, not plans where you go up and down. Please confer with your doctor about such a plan. You cannot expect us to volunteer our time to help you if you insist on getting yourself into trouble -- that's what you're paying a doctor for.

I wish you well, but I don't think we can continue to support you in your taking chances with your drugs.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:23 PM, BadMedicine said:

Hi @Rrsfc

@BadMedicine

8 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You've just made this reduction, is that correct? How many times have you found you cannot reduce below 2.5mg?

I think your seasonal tapering plan may get you into trouble, sooner or later. We provide peer support for tapering off psychiatric drugs, not plans where you go up and down. Please confer with your doctor about such a plan. You cannot expect us to volunteer our time to help you if you insist on getting yourself into trouble -- that's what you're paying a doctor for.

I wish you well, but I don't think we can continue to support you in your taking chances with your drugs.

@Altostrata I'm sorry you feel that way, I believe you are being unfair. I made 3 treatments with antipsychotics and weaned them with the doctor's guidance but after this last one, which was more lengthy in time I found I couldn't get bellow 2,5mg without withdrawal like before. I only tried twice to come off, the first I was alone and it was way too fast this time with your guidanceI found a good rate but I believe the time of year wasn't helpfull. In regard of going up what do you think I can do if I have psychosis? I made this question a lot of times, I don't want to take drugs but I see no options. I can't say I'll go down for good this time because if I get psychosis I have to take the pill. I don't see why I should be penalised for that. So you say I should stay on 2,5mg indefinetely is that it? Even at 2,5mg there is no guarantee I won't have psychosis. I will consider this, I'm aware I may not be able to be drug free but I can't conform without trying. My doctor is not ideal and I really appreciated all the help you gave me, he could not give me that guidance, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you by any chance reconsider I would be really happy because I'm feeling really alone right now, I was counting on your help to get through this. Thank you again, I wish you well too.

Hi @Rrsfc. I think there is always a risk coming off anti-psychotics but there is also risk being on the drugs and I agree that it is worth trying to see if it is achievable to become drug free. The best chance of this is with a really slow taper that is advocated on this site. I tried to go too fast and had psychotic symptoms start to emerge but believe it was as a result of a super sensitivity reaction because of the too rapid rate of my taper. I intend to try again with a much reduced taper speed to see if I can circumvent this problem. But I am holding 6 months at 2.5mg to give me a really good base to give me the best possible chance of success. 
I think it may be worth you holding a bit longer at 2.5mg before you start reducing to make sure all the adaptations from your drop of 5mg to 2.5mg have happened. Maybe a couple of months, then start a really slow taper. It may be successful. I hope so. But it may not. But all you can do is try and I wholeheartedly believe it is worth trying. 

Sept 2018 - Nov 2018 200mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2018 200mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jan 2019 - mid Feb 2019 reduced sertraline from 200 - 50mg, 7.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

Feb 2019- Jun 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 7.5mg olanzapine.

Jun 2019 - Oct 2019 30mg mirtazapine, 50mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine.

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 37.gmg sertraline, 39mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine.

Nov 2019 -Dec 2019 25mg sertraline, 30mg mirtazapine, 5mg olanzapine. Jan 2020 18.75mg sertraline, 5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Feb 2020 0mg sertraline, 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May 2020 1.8mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Aug 2020 2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. Stabilised for 9 months @2.5mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine. May2021 started slow taper from olanzapine, 5% previous dose per month. Oct 2021 1.875mg olanzapine, 30mg mirtazapine.

@BadMedicine thank you, I needed that encouragement. I will hold longer than 2 months, untill I feel I'm ready. I wilk take it even slower this time. Thank you for your time and your advice. 😊

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/13/2020 at 3:13 AM, Altostrata said:

I need to point out you might have become a little overenthusiastic when reducing your drugs. If you're susceptible to psychosis, you must be especially careful to go slowly. It's important you not trigger your psychosis episodes. If your sleep starts to break up, you're going too fast.

Bouncing from 2.5mg to 5mg may not be a good idea. I would discuss supersensitization with your doctors.

There may be a minimal but effective level at which you'll want to stay, to control your symptoms. 2.5mg or 2.75 or 3mg may be enough.

It is possible after a good long while, you'd be able to very carefully reduce more, but depending on how you manage your symptoms, you might stay on a little bit of the drug.

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I think your seasonal tapering plan may get you into trouble, sooner or later. We provide peer support for tapering off psychiatric drugs, not plans where you go up and down.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

@ChessieCat thank you for summarizing the information for me. I will continue to update my journey along the way.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 30 days since I went down to 2,5mg and everything seems to be going OK. I have no symptoms, sleeping fine. I decided to stabilize and wait until the fall of 2021 to try reduce my dosage for the 4th time, but only during the fall and winter (2,5% every 15 days), I will try to get to 2mg and stabilize there for another year and come down further the next year and so on. I was really eager to get off but things don't work like I want them to. I had to slow down and reassess. Still don't know if I can ever be without this drug, but despite the bad prognosis on that I am still hopefull. I am a bit stubborn and that hasn't been bad, I was able to get a lot better in these last few years with non medical strategies despite everyone doubting they would be effective and I was able to taper a lot of meds taking only a tiny fraction of what the doctors at the hospital gave me. In 2017 I got out taking 15mg olanzapine plus other meds including sleeping pills, now I only take olanzapine 2,5mg. I will not give up trying to go down, although I'll do it as safely and as slowly as I can. At this point I think between crisis I can be well without it (like I did a couple of times already) but my brain is too used to the drug by now so it's difficult to come off. The other teatments were shorter in time, only a few months, this time it's been 3 years already. It can also be that all the ups and downs over the years sensitized me to the drug and now I can't get off, or that below 2,5mg my condition resurfaces because the med is keeping it at bay, there's no way of knowing for sure. I would love to know why I can't get off. If I knew then what I know today I would never had accepted to be on this drug for a full year, in my opinion it made it very difficult for me to get off. So this is it, my 3rd attempt at quitting 2,5mg olanzapine is over. I learned some important things, especially that at this dosage I can only tolerate 2,5% drops, let's see if next time around it's the success I'm hoping for. Until then I will work on my coping skills, I will especially especially focus on meditation, psychological work, spirituality, stress management and exercise and diet of course. Especially I will focus on being happy, I lost so many years already. I won't let this failure drag me down, 2,5mg is manageable, I can have a meaningful and happy life on it. Regarding the 2020 crisis I have to say it was a lot more manageable, I am sure I am on the right track. Today I understand much better why I had the symptoms I had and I accept my condition a lot better. Thank you to everyone on this site, I will return when I'm ready to start tapering again or if something else worthy of note happens. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You have done really well.  It doesn't matter if you end up staying on a very low dose or it takes you a very long time to get off.

It's okay to keep the drug load to a minimum and be able to live your life if that is best for you.

When I first arrived here my goal was to get from 100mg Pristiq to 50mg because of mild serotonin syndrome.  But back then I believed the myth about needing the drug for the rest of my life like a diabetic needs insulin.  I know much better know.  So I then decided that I would taper and see how far I got, thinking that I would just get to a low dose and say on that.   And I just kept going and going and going and now it's almost gone.

Please take care of yourself and also update us every now and again on how you are doing, even if you aren't tapering.

good luck Rrsfc and wish you well, zyprexa is a very difficult drug to get off, and i also may not get off it completely due to not being able to sleep properly...its a long process but am not going to give up either....at present i have not tried to get lower than 2.5mg but i read that that is the hardest...well going from 5mg to 2.5mg is torture and i am not looking forward to reducing it from 2.5mg....however i get inspiration from hayduke who is nearly completely off it...good luck and wish you all the best in your recovery cheers morgana