Gigi12: Need Advice

Gigi12

I have been on psychiatric meds for over 30 years. The first 10 years was Xanax and then rivritril. Later was Paxil. I started reducing Oct 2018 from20mg-15 mg. Then in Nov 2018 15 mg- 10mg. In Aug 2019 from 10mg-5mg. Then Sept 2019 from 5mg to 0. I know I did it way too fast but now 1.5 months later I have complete body pain. Mind you I have been liver flushing for 2 years so I am not sure whether the detoxing has any part in body pain. Nonetheless, my whole body feels like a truck ran over it, can’t digest food, and feel anxious and irritable. I honestly don’t know if it is related to withdrawal but hoping to hear from others. Thank you.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

2012 Paxil stopped working and tried a gamut of anti depressants. Nothing worked. Continued 20 mg Paxil. 
oct 2018 went from 20 mg to 15 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

nov 17 10 mg amitrypaline

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

taking b vitamins, COD liver oil,  probiotics, vitamin c, Redmond’s salt, Epsom salt baths.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Gigi12.

We do not recommend detox for anyone in withdrawal.  We are far too sensitive and it puts further stress on an already embattled system.  So, yes, detox can exacerbate withdrawal symptoms.  Altostrata, founder this site, has written re detox:

"Hmmm, I feel I must point out here that withdrawal symptoms are not due to toxicity, but to the ABSENCE of a drug upon which the body has become dependent. The liver has done its job properly and caused what it can to be excreted.

Given that we urge gradual tapering, anything of the drug remaining in fat or tissues could be considered to cushion, however minimally, the lack of the drug the body is craving. If you are in the middle of tapering, which means you're deliberately slowing the passage of the drug from your body, why would you want to speed the drug out of your system with liver detoxification (assuming that would work)?

My belief is that, our bodies and nervous systems being under so much stress from withdrawal, detoxing the liver or any other ritual of purification only adds further stress and doesn't do anything positive for proper withdrawal. (Liver detox was developed for serious, identifiable heavy metal poisoning.) Liver cleansing is one of those things naturopathic medicine routinely recommends for all kinds of ills, with very little evidence it helps any of them. I do not think it's appropriate for withdrawal syndrome."

As you may know, we recommend tapering no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Your taper was far faster than that, and as a result you are now suffering withdrawal symptoms.  A slow taper is especially important at the lower doses.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

This explains it really well:

At this time, reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.    Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you are interested in reinstatement, I would recommend reinstating 1mg Paxil.  This link explain how to obtain this dosage,
either with Paxil liquid, making your own liquid, or weighing tablets using an AWS Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon.

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Please let us know what you decide to do and keep us updated on how you're doing.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  Again, welcome.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi all. I have tapered to O from 5 mg of Paxil in Sept and I am now really suffering side effects. My head including ears feel  like it is about to explode. Always irritable. Shaking of cold when nobody else feels cold. My digestion is terrible but it has always been bad. What should I do?

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

2012 Paxil stopped working and tried a gamut of anti depressants. Nothing worked. Continued 20 mg Paxil. 

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

taking b vitamins, COD liver oil,  probiotics, vitamin c, Redmond’s salt, Epsom salt baths.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Gigi       and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

The site is currently extremely busy so please ensure you answer any requests from staff fully.

Why were you prescribed Paxil?

How long have you been taking it and at what dose/doses?

Are you taking any other drugs or supplements?

Please describe your taper ie. 5%, 10%, every other day etc.

Was this taper advised by your doctor?

Do you have any paxil left?

Please follow the link below and advise what symptoms you are currently experienceing.

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

The only known way to mitigate withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate a low dose of the drug.

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Paxil is notoriosly difficult to taper off.

From the brief info. you have given and the limited symptom info.  you are entering withdrawal.

When we recieve your reply to the questions we will be able to advise further.

Please ensure you answer ALL the questions to avoid delays.

As soon as we recieve the drugs info. we can assess your situation.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Gigi12 said:

Hi all. I have tapered to O from 5 mg of Paxil in Sept and I am now really suffering side effects. My head including ears feel  like it is about to explode. Always irritable. Shaking of cold when nobody else feels cold. My digestion is terrible but it has always been bad. What should I do?

I do have some Paxil left. I have been taking some type of psychiatric medication for 34 years. I initially took Xanax for anxiety. Anxiety was main symptoms but as the years went on depression became equally disturbing. 8 years ago no medication helped so I was on a quest to heal the body but continued to take 20 mg Paxil.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

I didn’t do a 10% taper. In oct 2018 I went from 20mg to 15mg. Nov 2018 15 mg to 10mg. Aug 2019 10mg to 5 mg. Sept 5 mg to 0mg. Symptoms are not sleeping, head and ear pressure, irritability, no motivation, feeling extremely cold all the time ( shivering). Anxiety. Lack of appetite. I am taking b vitamins, probiotics, rhodiola, vitamin c, cod liver oil. Just started cbd oil. Also losing hair by the clumps.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Gigi

You are experiencing withdrawal from a too fast taper off Paxil and will need reinstatement to mitigate withdrawal symptoms.

Can you get an appointment with your doctor quickly?

It may be better to reinstate with Prozac but you will need a prescription.

Is your doctor aware that you have stopped Paxil?

Please reply asap as I will be offline soon.

Sassenach

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Yes. My doctor is aware. How much should I re instate. I have to call him to give me lower doses so I could cut.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

I could manage to cut to 2.5 mg. Do u think that is too much? Do u think It will stabilise my symptoms?

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

How long have you been taking CBD oil?

If it is only a few days you should stop it immediately.

I am referring this to @Altostrata, @brassmonkey to confirm Prozac is the better alternative and to suggest the best dose.

24 minutes ago, Gigi12 said:

I didn’t do a 10% taper of Paxil. In oct 2018 I went from 20mg to 15mg. Nov 2018 15 mg to 10mg. Aug 2019 10mg to 5 mg.

Sept 5 mg to 0mg.

We will get back to you asap.

Please do nothing until we get back to you.

Oh you think I should go to Prozac? I have some Elavil that was once prescribed. What do u think about adding a tiny dose of elavil?

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

No NO No.

Please wait Gigi, rushing will make symptoms worse.

We will agt back to you.

• Altostrata changed the title to Gigi12 Need Advice
  • Administrator

Hello, Gigi.

Paxil is a very difficult drug to go off at any rate. You might as well try taking a little Prozac as an SSRI reinstatement. I might take 1mg Prozac to start. Your doctor can prescribe the generic liquid, or you can make your own, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Please put your question and updates in this topic -- only one Introductions topic to a member. Let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don’t have access to Prozac now. Can I re instate 2.5 mg Paxil? Or 5 mg elavil?

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

Success. Just got a prescription. Will start tonight. How long before withdrawal symptoms abate?

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gigi

Please confirm that you have a prescription for Prozac and that you intend to follows Alto's recommendation of one mg dose.

You  should take one mg tonight.

Ensure you take the same dose at the same time every day.

13 minutes ago, Gigi12 said:

How long before withdrawal symptoms abate

No-one can answer that as we are all different.

It takes  a week for the drug  to reach full state in the body.

At this time we will assess your progress to decide how to proceed going forward.

If you experience any adverse reaction it is essential you stop taking the drug and contact us immediately for advise.

It is helpful to keep a symptom diary to monitor your progress, we may also need this posted online in due corse.

keep-daily-notes-of-drug-schedule-and-symptoms-to-track-patterns-and-progress/

Keep us advised of your progress please.

Sassenach

Thank you Sassenach. I will take before bed and at 1mg. Is there anything else I should look out for?

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Nothing else for the moment.

Good luck

Sass

Hi gigi12

Welcome to SA I’m so sorry you’re in the thick of withdrawal. Everyone here knows how horrible withdrawal can sometimes be. You’re in the right place for support. The collective wealth of moderator knowledge here, is far,  far greater than any individual GP or Psychiatrist could possibly hold. 

I want to share my early mistakes, so others may learn from them. It helps me through my suffering somehow.

I too Fast track /Cold turkey ed thinking I’d tapered slowly. I was in such neurological mess when I found SA, that I found it challenging to work through the moderators links, questions and advice. By the time I’d worked through it, for me it was too late to reinstate safely and I couldn’t take the risk. 

Please, read through their support carefully, get help to read through it if need be and then make your decisions, ultimately they will always be your decision, moderators will only advise. 

Hang on in there Gigi12 help is here.

Apparently everyone gets better it’s just a matter of time.

Take care Kx

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Hi. All. I am at my wits end. I started 1mg Prozac at night a couple of days ago and it has not helped with sleep. I decided to take 10 mg elavil since I had at home but never took. I feel more relaxed. I am also looking into MCAS. I have many of the symptoms. Was it a stupid idea to take elavil? My symptoms are lack of interest, insomnia( sleep 2-3 hours a night), no appetite, digestion difficulties. Anxiety, depression, body pain. Thank you.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Administrator

Hello, Gigi, did you start 1mg Prozac and 10mg mirtazapine at the same time?

What times of day do you take your drugs? How do you feel before and after you take each of them?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I take 1mg Prozac nighttime and today I took 10 mg elavil in morning. I have immense insomnia, reactions to any histamine rich foods, diet is very limited. Probably only get 1000 calories. I have lost a lot of weight. I am afraid for my life.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Administrator

Gigi, usually people take mirtazapine at night, for sleep.

If I were you, I'd stop the Prozac right away and take the 10mg mirtazapine at night. Please continue to let us know how you're doing.

I don’t take mirtazipine. It was suggested by you to take 1 mg Prozac to help with Paxil withdrawal. I took elavil this morning.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gigi

Please update your drug signature to show when you started and the 1mg dose of Prozac.

@Altostrata is very busy and uses the drug signature to keep up to date with your current meds.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:19 AM, Altostrata said:

Hello, Gigi.

Paxil is a very difficult drug to go off at any rate. You might as well try taking a little Prozac as an SSRI reinstatement. I might take 1mg Prozac to start. Your doctor can prescribe the generic liquid, or you can make your own, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Sassenach

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Gigi12 said:

I don’t take mirtazipine. It was suggested by you to take 1 mg Prozac to help with Paxil withdrawal. I took elavil this morning.

Now I'm confused. How many doses of Prozac did you take? When did you take them? How many doses of mirtazapine?

It's best to try only one drug at a time, so you can see what it does.

16 hours ago, Gigi12 said:

Just to clarify, by elavil you mean amitriptyline right? 

From what understand the standard SA advice is reinstatement on a low/lowest effective dose of the original antidepressant. Sometimes Prozac is considered. Just out of curiosity, why'd you take the Elavil?

Im totally don't want to come across as lecturing because we've all been there but I can't stress to you enough how important patience and stability is with this. I know your anxious but successful reinstatement can take time to work. The worst thing you can do is chop snd change. 

Citalopram. Briefly early twenties, no ill effects seemingly. Don't remember dose.

Sertraline on and off for ten years.  I was ignorant and started and stopped frequently. Doses of 50, 75 and 100. I can not recall/did not record dates prior to 2018.

JANUARY 2018: Last period of use was was 150mg of sertraline on 14/01/18  (which triggered extreme depression and anxiety that never settled, amongst other symptoms). I then tapered to 100mg in March (15/03/18), then down to 75mg in April(01/04/18) , 50mg later (11/04/18) 25mg in May  (16/05/18),  and was at 0mg in June (02/06/18).

Mirtazapine 15mg 01/08/18- 02/10/18, 15mg (6 weeks at 15mg the two week taper). - caused deeply unpleasant waves of extreme anxiety, depression, zombie state and mania.

Still on 40mg of Propranolol twice a day since April 2018. Supplements: Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B6

Okay. I took 1mg Prozac starting Friday At nighttime. No change in sleep or mood. Sunday I added 10mg amitripyline in morning. 

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

Katy398 are u better and if so, how long did it take before u did? 

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Now I'm confused. How many doses of Prozac did you take? When did you take them? How many doses of mirtazapine?

It's best to try only one drug at a time, so you can see what it does.

See signature for update. Should I just  re instate Paxil at 2.5 mg instead of introducing new meds?

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Administrator

What effect did you feel from the amitriptyline?

14 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It has been two days so not much that I noticed.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• manymoretodays changed the title to Gigi12: Need Advice
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

What do u think about 2.5 mg Paxil? I am afraid of adding anything to the mix will cause more problems. 

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gigi

Do not add any further meds.

It is too early to tell whether the Prozac is working yet.

How are you feeling now?

How is your sleep?

What are your current symptoms?

Did you only take one dose of Amitriptyline?

rhodiola is both a mild stimulant and increases Serotonin production so not great with SSRIs.

Sassenach

2 hours ago, Sassenach said:

Hi Gigi

Do not add any further meds.

It is too early to tell whether the Prozac is working yet.

How are you feeling now?

How is your sleep?

What are your current symptoms?

Did you only take one dose of Amitriptyline?

rhodiola is both a mild stimulant and increases Serotonin production so not great with SSRIs.

Sassenach

I already took 3 doses of amitrypaline and i am sleeping better. My symptoms are anxiety, depression, blocked ears, head pressure, neck stiffness, pins and needles sensation all over body, no appetite, insomnia.

1986 started Xanax 

then rivrotril till 2000

2000 started paxil 20 mg

Nov 2018 15 mg to 10 mg

Aug 2019 10 mg to 5 mg

Sept 2019 5 mg to 0

Jan 11 5 mg paxil

• Administrator

What times of day are you taking amitriptyline, and at what dosage?

What is your current sleep pattern?

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right, like this:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep