MCK020609: Lexapro wd extreme physical symptoms

MCK020609

I'm 32 years old and i had been on a few different drugs from the age of 18 due to PTSD.  I had been on lexapro for the last 6 years, went from 30 to 20 to 10, being on 10 for the last year.  I tapered quite quickly from 10 to 5 to 2.5 to nothing following my drs plan.  I stopped taking it end of May, 2019.  About a month later whilst withdrawal symptoms I became sick with pneumonia and bronchitis.  My body was under a significant amount of stress.  I began having physical symptoms different or in addition to the withdrawal, at least that's what I thought.  Extreme adrenaline surges, palpitations, sensory overload issues, nausea, blood pressure and heart rate issues which led to anxiety.  Migraines, extreme fatigue,and neck pain.   I even got tested for thyroid, heart, pheo tumor, cortisol and all came back normal.  Could this be extended withdrawal symptoms?  My body does not seem to be regulating things normally, it's in complete chaos?  Can ssris, including lexapro lead to a dysfunction of the autoimmune system.  I have all the symptoms of POTS( postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)  but this med withdrawal still makes me think it's related to that.

2011-2014:  Lexapro -30 mg  Ativan .5 mg as needed  January 2014: Cymbalta -30 mg  added Seroquel  ?mg

March 2014:  Off seroquel, Cymbalta 20 mg   Sept. 2014:  Went off Cymbalta cold turkey and changed to Lexapro 30 mg and 10 mg Buspar

April 2015: Off Buspar, Lexapro 20 mg  August 2015- February 2016- Twin pregnancy

August 2018: Weaned down to 10 mg of Lexapro  January 2019: Weaned down to 5 mg of Lexapro

May 2019: Stopped Lexapro 0 mg.  Started taking CBD oil 20 drops a day.  

6-8 weeks- experiencing withdrawal symptoms (emotional, extreme anxiety, anger, brain zaps, adreniline rushes) from Lexapro withdrawal

July 2019:  Pnuemonia- Z-pack antibiotic, steroid 

... heart palpitations, racing heart, chest pain, (warranted an ER visit)  Dr. gave me hydroxine for anxiety- 25 mg

Sept 2019: Magnesium supplement 250 mg daily, melatonin/benadryl for sleep, CBD oil as needed

Oct. 2019- Present: Birth Control, Magnesium 250 mg, melatonin/benadryl for sleep, Metaprolol- 12.5 mg for adreneline rushes, heart palpitations- once daily/taken as needed.  CBD oil as needed.

My withdrawal was fairly quick off from 10 mg Lexapro, earlier this year, within 6 months, 10 to 0.  I experienced emotional symptoms(crying, anxiety, mood swings, depression) and some physical (brain zaps, adrenaline rushes, fatigue).

I became sick with pneumonia about 6 weeks into withdrawal and was put on antibiotics and a steroid.  After that my physical symptoms got alot worse, heart palpitations, chest pain, dizziness, extreme fatigue, sound sensitivity, heat intolerance, my body cannot regulate normally, it seems. I've had testing done and all normal.  So Im coming to the conclusion its prolonged withdrawal, it's been 6 months since being off all together.  I've had waves of feeling better at times, sometimes a day here and there, sometimes only an hour out of the day.  Most of my emotional symptoms are gone, I do get depressed at times when I feel really physically sick and can't do much.  This wave has been for the last 2 weeks and I think I'm sick with a respiratory illness again.  Does anyone experience worsening symptoms when sick?  Anyone developed dysautonomia or POTS from withdrawal?  Does it mean I'm getting better because I have less emotional symptoms?  Anyone have a ton of physical symptoms?

2011-2014:  Lexapro -30 mg  Ativan .5 mg as needed  January 2014: Cymbalta -30 mg  added Seroquel  ?mg

March 2014:  Off seroquel, Cymbalta 20 mg   Sept. 2014:  Went off Cymbalta cold turkey and changed to Lexapro 30 mg and 10 mg Buspar

April 2015: Off Buspar, Lexapro 20 mg  August 2015- February 2016- Twin pregnancy

August 2018: Weaned down to 10 mg of Lexapro  January 2019: Weaned down to 5 mg of Lexapro

6-8 weeks- experiencing withdrawal symptoms (emotional, extreme anxiety, anger, brain zaps, adreniline rushes) from Lexapro withdrawal

... heart palpitations, racing heart, chest pain, (warranted an ER visit)  Dr. gave me hydroxine for anxiety- 25 mg

Sept 2019: Magnesium supplement 250 mg daily, melatonin/benadryl for sleep, CBD oil as needed

Oct. 2019- Present: Birth Control, Magnesium 250 mg, melatonin/benadryl for sleep, Metaprolol- 12.5 mg for adreneline rushes, heart palpitations- once daily/taken as needed.  CBD oil as needed.

I've been off lexapro for 6 months now and the withdrawal symptoms which are mostly all physical besides some depression because I feel sick all the time.  Can I reinstate at this point or am I at the point of no return?  I've had waves of better days but this wave has lasted 2 weeks and I'm weary and burnt out.  

Hello! Yes I was on lexapro for 6 years and came off in April (4 month taper). I was on as high as 60mg for first few years and then 20 and 10 for last few. I didn’t start having symptoms until June (3 months after stopping) and they have been gradually getting worse since. (They have been really bad this past month- 6 months post stopping). I have been having severe physical symptoms such as dizziness, extreme fatigue to where I can barely walk, poor concentration and memory, chest pains, irregular heartbeat, distorted vision, muscle weakness, thirsty all the time, nerve pains in hands and feet, sensitivity to light and sound, shortness of breath, get cold easily, restless leg syndrome, etc etc. It’s been quite miserable to where I have had to take a medical leave from work. I’ve had several heart tests, brain mris, and blood tests and they have all been normal so I can only attribute it to the medicine. I can only hope things will start getting better at some point and it didn’t do permanent damage to my autonomic nervous system.

2012-2019 lexapro

2012-2013 Xanax (whilst starting lexapro and as needed)

2019 3 days of Xanax 

2020 2 days of Zoloft

22 hours ago, MCK020609 said:

My withdrawal was fairly quick off from 10 mg Lexapro, earlier this year, within 6 months, 10 to 0.  I experienced emotional symptoms(crying, anxiety, mood swings, depression) and some physical (brain zaps, adrenaline rushes, fatigue).

I became sick with pneumonia about 6 weeks into withdrawal and was put on antibiotics and a steroid.  After that my physical symptoms got alot worse, heart palpitations, chest pain, dizziness, extreme fatigue, sound sensitivity, heat intolerance, my body cannot regulate normally, it seems. I've had testing done and all normal.  So Im coming to the conclusion its prolonged withdrawal, it's been 6 months since being off all together.  I've had waves of feeling better at times, sometimes a day here and there, sometimes only an hour out of the day.  Most of my emotional symptoms are gone, I do get depressed at times when I feel really physically sick and can't do much.  This wave has been for the last 2 weeks and I think I'm sick with a respiratory illness again.  Does anyone experience worsening symptoms when sick?  Anyone developed dysautonomia or POTS from withdrawal?  Does it mean I'm getting better because I have less emotional symptoms?  Anyone have a ton of physical symptoms?

I developed POTS and many more symptoms in withdrawal, still have them but thry fluctuate, sometimes I feel very faint and anxious, other times I feel more calm and better physical, this happens during the day and it nowhere close to normal.Only very slow progress.

Lorazepam -2 weeks-1 week 3 mg.4 days 2mg, 3 days 1mg. 13-27 November 2018

Lexapro -2 months-6 weeks of 10mg, 2 weeks of 5mg 27 November 2018-27 January 2019

On 11/10/2019 at 8:21 AM, MCK020609 said:

I'm guessing that the steroids are a factor. They can affect the adrenals and temporarily have adrenal disfunction which has a lot of similar symptoms as withdrawal. 

Effexor for one year in either 2004 or 2005- Quit cold turkey- Doctor said I don't need to taper! Then quit on my own in 4 weeks- still cold turkey

Adrenal Glandulars mixed with rhodiola and aswaganda - one year 2014-2015

Benadryl for 8 years- Off completely in July 2019

• Altostrata changed the title to MCK020609 Lexapro wd extreme physical symptoms
  • Administrator

Welcome, MCK.

What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day and what dosages? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I got sick with strep throat and a virus at the same time while I was only on Lexapro for 2 months. I stopped it CT and went on antibiotics and I got even worse. I never got sick with infections in my life until I started taking the neurotoxin. I do think these drugs do weaken the immune system. They cause nothing but trouble. 

Gemma92's signature(now Gem92) (added in by mod mmt 4/23/22)

90s and 2008:Prozac for a year

2016:ADHD drug for a few months CT 2017:Right thyroid removed. 

May-June 2018: Lexapro 10-20mg. July 4th 2018 Lex CT and took Penicillin, Z-pack.

August 2018: 3rd antibiotic and Effexor for 5 days CT. 

September 2018: Lexapro 5mg (CT after month) Ativan 1-.5mg(CT after 2 weeks) and Hydroxyine 50mg (2 weeks) SEVERE REACTIONS AND SEVERE WITHDRAWAL

October 2018: Ashwahganda 2 weeks, Probiotics 2 weeks. Mirt 15mg 6 days CT Oct- Nov 2018: gaba gummies, cbd oil, magnesium. December 2018: Mirt 7.5mg, 15mg, 30mg, Zyprexa 2.5mg, 5mg for 1 week back to 2.5mg. 4th antibiotic used. Hydroxyine. Jan 2019: Mirtazapine 26.5mg. Different brands used when hospitalized. Hydroxyine.

Feb 2019: Mirtazapine 22.5mg, 15mg. Zyprexa 2.5mg CT. Prozac 1 pill, Trazadone 4 pills, Hydroxyine few pills, INJECTED with steroids, antibiotics and pain killers for 2 days. Took high doses of benadryl a few times, few more pain killers

June 2019: Mirt 14.5mg-13.5mg Sept 2019: 13mg, 12mg, sep 25th 11 mg. 
4/22/22- 6.3mg (Tapering between 2 and 3% every 2 weeks). 11/27/2022- 5.4mg 
1/8/23- 5.25mg 1/30/23-5.2mg 2/22/23-5.15mg 3/10/23-5.1mg 4/4/23-5.05mg 4/16/23-5mg

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, MCK.

What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day and what dosages? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?

I'm currently taking magnesium 250 mg at night and I'm on birth control because my cycle has been so off, I think because my body isnt regulating alot of things normally.  I also take melatonin or sometimes benadryl to sleep.  I am getting over a respiratory and ear infection, so I'm on an antibiotic right now.  I hope once I'm off the antibiotic to take a probiotic to help with my gut health.  When my symptoms were severe the last two weeks, which I attribute to my body fighting sickness I was taking metaprolol to help with the heart palpitations and irregular heart rate.  Now that I'm on an antibiotic I'm feeling alot better, although the chest pains have been worse, probably because I've been doing more.  I can't say my days have a pattern, although my afternoon's are worse then morning and nights I most often have chest pain.  Now that I'm past this sickness and wave, things are a little better physically, not as intense.  Just fearful of getting sick again.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MCK020609: Lexapro wd extreme physical symptoms
  • 1 year later...

It's been a while since I posted or asked any questions.  It's been 2 1/2 years since I abruptly withdrew from Lexapro after being on it for 7 years.  Around the 18 month mark I was seeing less waves and more windows.  And at 2 years it had been months since my last wave.  Then about a month ago there was a pretty stressful situation that involved a neighbor attacking me as well as some past trauma issues that all came at the same time.  Since then the anxiety has been non stop.  I'm in therapy again which is helping but having non stop anxiety, sleep disturbances and adrenaline rushes/heart palpitations.  I'm so disheartened that after months of normalcy this has been one of the longest waves in a long time.

Hi MCK, 

welcome back to SA. Do you have a previous thread to which we can merge this so all your history is in the same place. 

It seems like a lot has been happening that would get anyone anxious let alone someone who has been traumatized before and whose system has been sensitized by withdrawal. I am so glad that you are taking care of yourself and getting help through therapy. 

I know this sounds stressful and when you are in the middle of it can look like you will not get out of it easily or quickly but I don't see a reason why this wouldn't also resolve with time and self-care. Your trajectory is clearly up and I can imagine that you will be on your road to recovery from it soon. 

Are you safe from the neighbor? Can you remove yourself from that situation - this might help with the anxiety and, I would imagine, anger? Can you get help to deal with this situation and protect yourself? Oftentimes we internalize what are essentially external problems that our bodies and minds are trying to protect ourselves from. 

Please continue to take care of yourself.  You are on your way!

Hugs, 
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Administrator

Hello, @MCK020609

I am sorry you've had this setback. It sounds like anyone would be agitated by those events, your sensitized nervous system even more so.

Have you tried fish oil and magnesium supplements? see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Many people find them helpful. Magnesium in particular can be subtly calming.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, too bad to hear that you feel this way again. I fully understand you are reacting this way. A lot of people would,  withdrawal or not.

I find it very encouraging that you didn't experience a lot of waves until recently.  You have a serious issue now but this will fade over time during which you will even be longer away from the evil antidepressants. I really think you will be in a much better place in a couple of weeks or a few months.

Whatever they tell you...don't take antidepressants again please. 

I've tried turmeric  the last couple of weeks and I really think it lifted my mood. You could try that.

When I quit alcohol 7.5 years ago things were really well. Then, 1.5 year after quitting my dad died and I got a major setback in anxiety/mood. I thought all problems were coming back. After a couple of weeks, maybe 3 months  things started to become normal again. My nervous system calmed down and things were ok.

You will absolutely be fine again!

Cheers

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold / 08apr 1.38 mg / 15apr 1.36 mg / 20apr 1.34 mg

I’m sorry you are experiencing this, it sounds like that incident may have triggered your PTSD and put you in a wave. It’s really good you’re working with a therapist though and building your non drug coping skills. There are always going to be stressful events in life but if we can learn to manage them we can reduce the amount of suffering we feel. You will definitely get better, this is just a temporary setback. Take care of yourself.

Completely drug free 11/26/22 🎉

Supplements: Magnesium citrate: 250 mg; Fish oil: 1200 mg

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” - Victor Frankl