giligiligili: Need to know other people felt this way

giligiligili

Hi everyone,

Sorry if my English isn't perfect, I'm not from an English-speaking country.

First of all, just like to say I thank God this forum exists. Although I'm lucky enough to have a very supportive husband, family and friends, I feel very alone in terms of dealing with this awful Escitalopram (Known as Lexapro) withdrawal. None of the people around me dealt with it, and I'm in desperate need of assurance, guidance and just someone to tell me he had similar symptoms and it got better.  
So - 
I'm 28 yo, and I've been taking Escitalopram for he last 2.5 years. I got on it after for some period I've had many different body-aches, and became kind of obsessed with the fear I have some kind of awful terminal disease (my guesses were cancer/ms/ALS). I visited tons of doctors, did tons of tests, and nothing was wrong medically. Eventually I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with anxiety prescribed me 10mg of Escitalopram a day.

During the last 2.5 years I've been in therapy which helped me a lot, and decided to get off the antidepressants because I felt strong and hated the feeling Escitalopram gave me. I consulted my Doctor and he told me to lower the dose to 5mg for 2 weeks, and then stop taking the pill at all. And so I did.

Right now I'm 2 weeks Escitalopram-free, and I suffer from tons of symptoms: headaches, nausea, pins on my chest, tingling weird feeling on my skin, when I try to sleep my leg gets an electric shot from the inside that lifts her up (I don't know how to better describe it), my heart beats fast sometimes, even my teeth hurts. The inner of my eye hurts. And that's just the phyiscal part: I am on the verge of crying half of the day, feeling weird and sad, and socially-awkward which I never was. 

Can anyone relate? Do you think my symptoms are probably related to the withdrawal? And can anyone offer any hope cause it's goddamn hard? 
Thanks for reading my late-night cry for help. Waiting for your comments. 

Edited by Shep
added username to title
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello    Gili    and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

The site is currently extremely busy so please ensure you answer any requests from staff fully.

You are suffering From A/D W/D ( antidepressant withdrawal. ) caused by a too fast taper recommended by your doctor.

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

All the symptoms you describe are common in W/D

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

The only known way to mitigate W/D symptoms is by reinstating a small dose of the med.

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

On 11/10/2019 at 9:16 PM, giligiligili said:

And can anyone offer any hope cause it's goddamn hard? 

Yes, but it will take time.

You should reinstate 2.5mgs of Escitalopram, taken in the morning ie one quarter of a ten mg pill, can be done as I took the same.

It will take 7-10 days to reach full state in your body.

If this is not enough an updose from there is possible.

We start low as this site is about harm reduction and undoing the problems caused by doctors.

You are well within the window for reinstatement so with the help of this site you can and will feel better.

As for how long it takes everyone is different, we take it day by day.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

As Sassenach has said there is a wealth of information here and you'll soon discover everything you're going through is perfectly normal for withdrawal. 

It will all pass in time.

There is also a FB page called Lexapro Withdrawal Support Group you can join. 

Look after yourself. 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

Hi giligiligili

Welcome to SA I’m so sorry you’re in the thick of withdrawal. Everyone here knows how horrible withdrawal can sometimes be. You’re in the right place for support. The collective wealth of moderator knowledge here, is far,  far greater than any individual GP or Psychiatrist could possibly hold. 

I want to share my early mistakes, so others may learn from them. It helps me through my suffering somehow.

I too Fast track /Cold turkey Lexapro thinking I’d tapered slowly. I was in such neurological mess when I found SA, that I found it challenging to work through the moderators links, questions and advice. By the time I’d worked through it, for me it was too late to reinstate safely and I couldn’t take the risk. 

Please, read through their support carefully, get help to read through it if need be and then make your decisions, ultimately they will always be your decision, moderators will only advise. 

Hang on in there Giligiligili help is here.

Apparently everyone gets better it’s just a matter of time.

Take care Kx

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.