Loss of vision, eye muscle movement problems from AD withdrawal?

SOcean

I have mentioned my eyes on here a few times. I'm having a crisis with them now. I can barely type this. Went to Neuro Optometrist yesterday and she did tests on me. Says that my eyes are not working properly with my brain.

Found 3 things: Divergence Insufficiency 

Ocular Pursuit Disorder 

Saccadic Eye Movement Disorder 

She says my eyes are behaving like I've had a concussion. Has anyone had this from AD's or withdrawal? So scared. They just keep getting worse. I cannot drive really now and have no idea how my son is getting to school. I fell and went to ER yesterday and they referred me to Neuro Ophthalmologist, who can't get me in! I've been calling around all over. No one can see me. This is a nightmare. Feel like coming off the prozac too fast contributed to this. Psych is Tuesday. Terrified about my vision and lack of help

2005-2015 Fluoxetine 20mg (tried to get off it twice during that time) Had bad depression once, so was raised to 40mg. 
2016-June 2019  Fluoxetine 40mg Noticed tics, twitches and spasms in muscles right away, especially in face and behind eyes. Doctors blew it off. Noticed tremors and muscle weakness in arms developing over time, especially after dose increased to 40mg. Noticed nerve pain, parathesia, and muscle pain/stiffness, coordination issues with my hands starting around 2016. Eye pain and vision issues.

June 2019 Was prescribed prednisone 20mg for 3 days, for vaccine reaction. Had horrible reaction to it. Maybe combined with fluoxetine? Reaction included serotonin syndrome like symptoms - hyperreflexia, rigidity, tremor, etc. Doctor had me take it for 3 days even with symptoms. Have been ill ever since with continuing neurological problems, dizziness, nausea, rigidity, tremor, blepharospasm, balance and eye issues movement and vision issues, akathisia, sound sensitivity.
July 2019-August 2019 Fluoxetine Seemed to be causing movement disorder and tremors. Tapered off Fluoxetine. Was cut to 20 mg over a week period, then 10 over a week, then 5 for a week, then 5 every other day for a week. Felt withdrawal at month 2.
2006-2019 Alprazalom Have used sparingly over the years. Not currently using.

September 2019 Was prescribed Ativan for withdrawal symptoms and tremor. Did not help.

September 2019 Was prescribed Gabapentin for withdrawal symptoms and tremor. Scared to take it due to side effects and worried it will make things worse.

November 2019 Diazepam 2mg Took 2 doses, did not seem to help and caused leg cramps. Stopped Diazepam.

November 2019 Flexeril 5mg, taking 1.25 mg very sparingly when needed for rigidity and muscle cramping 

I developed a pretty intense case of right eye strabismus as I was increasingly polydrugged over the last year.  It definitely is not getting better as I withdraw from Valium (I think its getting worse).  Will be using prism after consulting with ophthalmologist and considering surgery.

Hoping for the best for you.

Active Meds

Xanax ER:  0.5 mg - 2009-August 2018, 1mg August 2018, 2mg February 2019, 1.5mg June 2019, crossover to 20mg Valium October 2019, taper to 15mg October 2019

Viibryd - 40mg 2017-present

Lithium - 450mg June 2019-August 2019, 600mg August 2019-present

Pregabalin - 300mg August 2019-present

Cardizem - 180 mg March 2019 - present

Synthroid - 25mcg August 2019 - present

Discontinued medications over last 24 months

Seroqual 150mg - February - July 2019

Trazadone 150 mg - February-August 2019

Mirtazapine (Remeron) - February-September 2019

Oh, that is horrible. It is so wrong that we are not told about these terrible life altering side effects. I am so angry right now. I was on prozac and xanax for so many years, prozac even when I was pregnant (OB told me to stay on!) I thought everything was fine (it wasn't) and now I am so sick, have eye problems, movement disorder, tremor, overactive nervous system. My son has had a wandering eye since a young age and shaky hands sometimes (maybe tremor). Was this my fault from taking doctor's advice? And will he have to live with this because of me? Nightmare. 

2005-2015 Fluoxetine 20mg (tried to get off it twice during that time) Had bad depression once, so was raised to 40mg. 
2016-June 2019  Fluoxetine 40mg Noticed tics, twitches and spasms in muscles right away, especially in face and behind eyes. Doctors blew it off. Noticed tremors and muscle weakness in arms developing over time, especially after dose increased to 40mg. Noticed nerve pain, parathesia, and muscle pain/stiffness, coordination issues with my hands starting around 2016. Eye pain and vision issues.

June 2019 Was prescribed prednisone 20mg for 3 days, for vaccine reaction. Had horrible reaction to it. Maybe combined with fluoxetine? Reaction included serotonin syndrome like symptoms - hyperreflexia, rigidity, tremor, etc. Doctor had me take it for 3 days even with symptoms. Have been ill ever since with continuing neurological problems, dizziness, nausea, rigidity, tremor, blepharospasm, balance and eye issues movement and vision issues, akathisia, sound sensitivity.
July 2019-August 2019 Fluoxetine Seemed to be causing movement disorder and tremors. Tapered off Fluoxetine. Was cut to 20 mg over a week period, then 10 over a week, then 5 for a week, then 5 every other day for a week. Felt withdrawal at month 2.

September 2019 Was prescribed Ativan for withdrawal symptoms and tremor. Did not help.

September 2019 Was prescribed Gabapentin for withdrawal symptoms and tremor. Scared to take it due to side effects and worried it will make things worse.

November 2019 Diazepam 2mg Took 2 doses, did not seem to help and caused leg cramps. Stopped Diazepam.

November 2019 Flexeril 5mg, taking 1.25 mg very sparingly when needed for rigidity and muscle cramping 

It is nothing but a scandal what these drugs and withdrawal from them do. I had to quit zoloft 15 years ago because it caused akathisia. I now have right eye strabismus, blurred vision, hearing loss, constant tinnitus, constant spasms in body and face getting worse when I walk, severe shortness of breath, shaking, clawing hands, dropping everything I hold and inviluntary movements in arms and legs. 

Those of you with damage to your body functions must never blame yorselves. It is not your fault! You trusted your doctors which is a normal thing to do. Lay the blame where it belongs! Big Pharma and ignorant doctors.

12 hours ago, SOcean said:

I have mentioned my eyes on here a few times. I'm having a crisis with them now. I can barely type this. Went to Neuro Optometrist yesterday and she did tests on me. Says that my eyes are not working properly with my brain.

Found 3 things: Divergence Insufficiency 

Ocular Pursuit Disorder 

Saccadic Eye Movement Disorder 

She says my eyes are behaving like I've had a concussion. Has anyone had this from AD's or withdrawal? So scared. They just keep getting worse. I cannot drive really now and have no idea how my son is getting to school. I fell and went to ER yesterday and they referred me to Neuro Ophthalmologist, who can't get me in! I've been calling around all over. No one can see me. This is a nightmare. Feel like coming off the prozac too fast contributed to this. Psych is Tuesday. Terrified about my vision and lack of help

Are there any schools nearby where they teach optometry, etc? Where I live there is a school where you can see students in training to be eye care professionals, I don't know if the waiting time would be shorter but might be a possible way to get seen faster. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I have to go to a Neuro Opthalmologist because these are considered Neurological eye problems. Miraculously, I got into one at Mayo on Monday. Just have to get through weekend. 

Good to hear you got in! 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

SOcean,

I'm so sorry you are experiencing these vision issues.  I too am in a similar situation after being on Cymbalta a short time and getting bad advise on tapering way too quickly.   Have these vision issues been persistent since you noticed them and how long has it been going on for you?  

I'm not quite to the neuro-opthalmologist stage yet but I am fearful that it is coming.  I've been completely off Cymbalta for 4.5 months and the vision issues have been constant since day 3-4 completely off and have not let up.  Main issues are depth perception issues and a feeling like my eyes aren't tracking things correctly (slow to track).  Also a ton of vitreal floaters.

If you're up for it, I would be interested to know any more developments what your docs are telling you. I will do the same. 

Thanks,
Driven

Cymbalta for 17 weeks total:
1 week @ 30mg, 5 weeks @ 60mg, 3 weeks @ 90mg (then asked to be tapered off)
Tapered as follows (as per 3 doctors and 5-6 pharmacists recommendations).  Not ONE stated a slow bead count was required:
4 weeks @ 60mg, 1 week @ 30mg, 1 week @ 20mg, 1 week @ 10mg (bead counting)
1 week @ 8--7-6-5-4-2-1-0mg (bead counting)
OFF completely since 7/6/19

SAM-e (200mg) - started 1 month before coming off Cymbalta as per Naturopath to help with withdrawal. Stopped SAM-e on 11/6/19.
5-HTP (100mg am & pm) - started day after coming off Cymbalta as per Naturpath to help with withdrawal. Stopped 5-HTP on 10/1/19.

Zyprexa:
5mg at bedtime. Started 11/26/19 until current to help with Cymbalta W/D symptoms.

4 hours ago, Driven said:

SOcean,

I'm so sorry you are experiencing these vision issues.  I too am in a similar situation after being on Cymbalta a short time and getting bad advise on tapering way too quickly.   Have these vision issues been persistent since you noticed them and how long has it been going on for you?  

I'm not quite to the neuro-opthalmologist stage yet but I am fearful that it is coming.  I've been completely off Cymbalta for 4.5 months and the vision issues have been constant since day 3-4 completely off and have not let up.  Main issues are depth perception issues and a feeling like my eyes aren't tracking things correctly (slow to track).  Also a ton of vitreal floaters.

If you're up for it, I would be interested to know any more developments what your docs are telling you. I will do the same. 

Thanks,
Driven

Hello. I'm not sure,  but I think I started having issues from the Prozac while I was still on it and then after I was prescribed Prednisone and had a horrible reaction to that, it messed up my eyes. And then after I stopped the Prozac, things just keep getting worse. And they are at the point now where I'm having problems driving. I have blurred vision, double vision sometimes and feel like I can't focus. I have trouble reading even though my regular eye exam is normal. I can't find anyone to really help me with the possible drug withdrawal aspect of it. It is frustrating. The Neuro Ophthalmologist was completely useless. What I would recommend is a Neuro Optometrist, if you can find one. They can check for how your eyes are moving and working together, and then do therapy. I don't know if it works, but I am currently in vision therapy. They said my eyes aren't working together right and the 3 conditions I mentioned above. I don't know what else to do at this point. I wish you the best. Let me know what you find out. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 2:41 PM, SOcean said:

Hello. I'm not sure,  but I think I started having issues from the Prozac while I was still on it and then after I was prescribed Prednisone and had a horrible reaction to that, it messed up my eyes. And then after I stopped the Prozac, things just keep getting worse. And they are at the point now where I'm having problems driving. I have blurred vision, double vision sometimes and feel like I can't focus. I have trouble reading even though my regular eye exam is normal. I can't find anyone to really help me with the possible drug withdrawal aspect of it. It is frustrating. The Neuro Ophthalmologist was completely useless. What I would recommend is a Neuro Optometrist, if you can find one. They can check for how your eyes are moving and working together, and then do therapy. I don't know if it works, but I am currently in vision therapy. They said my eyes aren't working together right and the 3 conditions I mentioned above. I don't know what else to do at this point. I wish you the best. Let me know what you find out. 

Thank you SOcean,

My vision symptoms sound somewhat similar to what you are experiencing.  Mine seem to fluctuate in severity but I can't say it has gone away completely since day 3 after coming off Cymbalta.  There have been a few hours (not days) where it has felt like it almost cleared completely (usually in the evening) but then is back when waking in the am.  I had a few days last month (around 4.5 months off) where I could hardly see my computer screen and viewing my iphone was difficult.  It has improved again since then but my current baseline is a feeling like my depth perception of off, feels slightly blurry (although still see 20/20 at eye appt), decreased vision in darkness, and lots of floaters.  I can live with the floaters but the odd depth perception is the most fearful.

My optometrist is a family friend and he believes this will slowly fade over time.  His explanation is that my brain is still trying to find homeostasis and it is just going to take time.  I'm praying that is the case.  

Driven

Cymbalta for 17 weeks total:
1 week @ 30mg, 5 weeks @ 60mg, 3 weeks @ 90mg (then asked to be tapered off)
Tapered as follows (as per 3 doctors and 5-6 pharmacists recommendations).  Not ONE stated a slow bead count was required:
4 weeks @ 60mg, 1 week @ 30mg, 1 week @ 20mg, 1 week @ 10mg (bead counting)
1 week @ 8--7-6-5-4-2-1-0mg (bead counting)
OFF completely since 7/6/19

SAM-e (200mg) - started 1 month before coming off Cymbalta as per Naturopath to help with withdrawal. Stopped SAM-e on 11/6/19.
5-HTP (100mg am & pm) - started day after coming off Cymbalta as per Naturpath to help with withdrawal. Stopped 5-HTP on 10/1/19.

Zyprexa:
5mg at bedtime. Started 11/26/19 until current to help with Cymbalta W/D symptoms.

I have many of these symptoms over 5 years later....things just don't look right plus light sensitivity. 

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• 4 weeks later...

@direstraits, do the symptoms come and go or have they been there 100% of the time for the past 5 years?

PRN = as needed; WDR = withdrawal reaction; ADR = adverse reaction

2007: Started BC pills  2008: Prozac 0 --> 80 mg  2010: Tapered Prozac 80 --> 0 mg  2015: LSD/shrooms/MDMA once; Xanax 0.25 mg PRN; Prozac 0 --> 40 mg; Lamictal 0 --> 150 mg  2018: Tapered Prozac 40 --> 0 mg (WDR); Klonopin 0.125 mg PRN  2019: DC'd BC pills (WDR); Klonopin 0.125 mg PRN; tapered Lamictal 150 --> 35 mg (WDR); Trileptal 0 --> 4 mg   2020: Jan: one BC pill (ADR + hormonal effects); Apr-Jun: curcumin cream daily + Elidel cream PRN (ADR + hormonal effects); Oct: started melatonin 0.375 mg; Nov: acupuncture treatment (ADR + hormonal effects); Dec: tapered off melatonin 0.375 mg  2021: Jan: benzoyl peroxide cream (ADR); Feb: started probiotic; Mar: tapered off probiotic; May: Trileptal 4 mg --> 0.4 mg (ADR); Nov: Trileptal 0.4 mg --> 0.3 mg  2023: Nov: Prednisone 60 mg

Current medications: Lamictal 35 mg, Trileptal 0.3 mg, Prednisone 60 mg

On 11/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, SOcean said:

I have blurred vision, double vision sometimes and feel like I can't focus. I have trouble reading even though my regular eye exam is normal. I can't find anyone to really help me with the possible drug withdrawal aspect of it.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, Driven said:

There have been a few hours (not days) where it has felt like it almost cleared completely (usually in the evening) but then is back when waking in the am.  I had a few days last month (around 4.5 months off) where I could hardly see my computer screen

I relate to this.

I had pre-existing visual acuity issues which are drug-related (lamotrigine and clonazepam). An opthalmologist has told me this - after seeing 4 opthalmolgists for the complaint over the past few years. I don't know whether lamotrigine or cymbalta (my near CT experience and what brought me to SA) caused this.  My visual eye exams (more than 4 of them) have been normal. There is no damage.

This has increased significantly since my (near) CT in December.  I can barely read my computer screen and  paper is somewhat better. This comes and goes in varying intensity and duration. This really slows down reading. Things that help with the computer - using a dyslexie font (free -look onlin), increasing spacing between lines and letters, and increasing font size.

This situation may exist by itself or when I am suffering from severe dizziness and imbalance issues (and am restricted to sitting). @and @Driven and @SOcean can you comment on this?

Edited by Guilietta
Addressed wrong person

4 hours ago, Emma7855 said:

@direstraits, do the symptoms come and go or have they been there 100% of the time for the past 5 years?

they do come and go but never completely. I did have a cataract removed a couple years ago and still have  one in the right eye which I hope to get removed soon.

it's so hard to describe what's going on with my eyes buy I'm sure it's WD related. the burning ,light sensitivity, floaters etc.

Let's hope we see lots of healing in 2020!

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy