Clare1974: Citralopram withdrawal -week 4

Clare1974

Hi - I have been on 20mg of citralopram for about ten years and over the last few months have tapered down and three weeks ago I stopped completely.   I had thought that with the extended tapering I would not suffer as badly from so called discontinuation syndrome.

omfg!   I have been as sick as I’ve ever been.   Physical symptoms are - bloating, stomach pain, constipation, runs, constant headache like above or my brain being squeezed,  huge dizziness, nausea,  paleness, exhaustion, shakes, ‘sea-legs’ and generally feeling like I’ve just got off the worlds worst fairground ride.  Oh and palpitations! 
ive had a series of blood tests as I am so surprised and kind of disbelieving that this could just ‘simply’ be withdrawal. 

Support and advice greatfly received!    No emotional, anxiety or depressive symptoms though - all physical. 

Edited by Shep
added username to title
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Clare1974.  I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.

As you've figured out, you are suffering from withdrawal from a too-fast taper of Citalopram.  We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks, and your taper of a few months was far faster.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain it really well:

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.
To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly. Please be sure to includes the dates of your taper, the rte at which you tapered, the date of your last dose and what that dosage was.

At this time, reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  At three weeks, you're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become more unstable.   Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.  Reinstatement works most predictably within three months of the last dose.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you're interested in reinstating, please let us know and, after we've received your drug signature, we can suggest a reinstatement  dosage.  Please do not reinstate without letting us suggest a dosage.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can submit your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  Again, welcome.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks so much for all the info!   My doctor seemed to think the tapering I did was ok but then again also said I should be feeling better by now she she obviously knows sh@t!

all I really need to understand right now is -       Will this eventually get better of its own accord and can I die of this!  I’m serious - I can wait this out - one panadol and all my symptoms go away except the tiredness!  I’m happy to wait it out - keep up the water, exercise, good food and magnesium.   

knowing I’m normal and on a journey is good enough for me - I’ve been through worse physically.   Thanks again 

• Moderator Emeritus
45 minutes ago, Clare1974 said:

Will this eventually get better of its own accord and can I die of this!

Yes, this will eventually get better of its own accord. And, no, you cannot die of it.  Your brain will heal itself.

Doctors know nothing of safe tapering or antidepressant withdrawal.  That's the sad truth.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you!   I have had all the blood tests to check I don’t have something ‘wrong’ and other than that I can take this opportunity to really practice some great self care.   I stopped drinking alcohol entirely over 4 years ago,   Went through significant withdrawal then (yes I am a alcoholic in recovery!) and had to learn a load of techniques to manage myself and life.   I left my ADs another four years before I emotionally felt strong enough to try and taper.   I am very very glad I did - wish I had spent longer tapering but there you go I didn’t have enough resolver for the power of these drugs.

you know what shits me - my 15 daughters school tried to push her into these drugs.  Her school ffs!   I held off and tried to teach her life skills of resilience, self care, diet and exercise and sleep.   A year later she’s so much better.   I am so glad I held back from them.   There’s little respect for Pyschiatric drugs.   Thanks for the support x

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Clare1974 said:

I am so glad I held back from them.   There’s little respect for Pyschiatric drugs.   Thanks for the support x

You are doing great, Clare. You have your coping skills in place and are using them well.   And brava for your protection of your daughter.  I'm so glad she's doing better and is drug-free thanks to your vigilance.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

17 minutes ago, Gridley said:

You are doing great, Clare. You have your coping skills in place and are using them well.   And brava for your protection of your daughter.  I'm so glad she's doing better and is drug-free thanks to your vigilance.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Thank you.   I’m all for these drugs when they are needed.  I’m also all for a full medical understanding of them.   I just wanted her little brain to grow first!