SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Snorky: Reinstatement of amitriptyline

Snorky

2 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

Sorry to read this Snorky. What are you planning re work? Any chance you could do reduced hours for a while?

I also get days when I can't tolerate watching things/ somehow it presses the dread button.Other days are totally normal. WD is indeed very strange.

Hi S

Back in work again today. Really struggling to cope with mental and physical fatigue, but think better on balance than vegetating at home.  I’m getting really worried about this anhedonia thing. Seems to be getting worse and is much more than lack of interest, brain resisting the effort needed as well. It affected all of my interests when trying to look st YouTube yesterday. 

Really terrifying as v unpredictable and ghastly when it happens. I’ve also sent a separate pm to Brass Monkey, as re-read his “emotional spiral stuff” and think my chances of recovery CT are v slim or non-existent. (Still awaiting his response on this)

Hope you’re day us one of many windows.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

Amitriptyline October 2018-2019. (25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25)

CT 10 Sept 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 5 mg 29 Oct 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 2.5mg 19 Nov 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Vitamin D 16 Dec and Promethazine 25mg 16 Dec (one month only)

• Administrator
On 1/4/2020 at 4:05 PM, Snorky said:

Noted. I’ve become increasingly convinced that my intensifying depression and anhedonia will be difficult to shift without reinstatement of ADs. Ie depletion of serotonin and dopamine receptors.

Almost the elephant in the room of you will. Will be intrigued to see what other Mods think on this. 

If you will.

This is a remix of your earlier insistence that you had a "chemical imbalance." There is no such thing.

Many people, including many doctors, think withdrawal syndrome is relapse or emergence of a new psychiatric disorder. It is not.

You could figure out how to get through withdrawal syndrome, or you could continue to experiment with psychiatric drugs until you find something you like. You'll have to work with your doctor on that. Your choice whether you want to "go back on the drug." We wouldn't know what to suggest,

On 12/22/2019 at 1:24 PM, Altostrata said:

Is it possible that you were taking 150mg venlafaxine with xxmg mirtazapine (a combination known for potential adverse drug-drug interaction) and got this bad reaction when you increased venlafaxine to 225mg?

As I've said before, my take is you are experiencing withdrawal syndrome going back to when you switched from venlafaxine to amitriptyline after misinterpreting this adverse drug reaction.

You had a history of switching drugs that caused your earlier period on venlafaxine to be rocky, but it seemed you were "fine" on venlafaxine for years before these drug changes upset the apple cart.

On 11/24/2019 at 6:45 AM, Snorky said:

Update 

Have taken 2.5mg for five days now. Today, felt “less weird”, still anxious, agitated and all physical/nervy symptoms, but not the nasty black feelings I had yesterday and Friday. Could it be that it’s taken this long to “stabilise”? What does stabilise even mean in my case?  

Thanks

In my opinion, you should have stayed on 2.5mg amitriptyline, since it seemed to be helping somewhat.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:30 AM, Snorky said:

I understand that. The problem is something has triggered this new, debilitating and terrifying symptom. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced something like this. Hopefully it’s adverse reaction and will go when I stop. Otherwise WD, but probably impossible to treat other than new meds????

The trigger was going off 2.5mg amitriptyline.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:25 AM, Snorky said:

Hi

Believe me, if you had this particular symptom, you’d not be able to tolerate for more than a day or so. Ironically, I asked Doc last week about risk of permanent nerve damage due to pain on 5mg. He reassured me on that, particularly as Amitriptyline is used to combat nerve pain😀 I think I’ll ask him equivalent question about longevity of these mood/psychological symptoms following discontinuation. I wouldn’t have thought a common withdrawal symptom as only kicking in 10 weeks after initial withdrawal and also severity.

Many people here have withdrawal symptoms. Nobody expects them, they are always a horrible surprise. You might look around at the other Introductions topics to see what other people are going through. You are not alone. Your symptoms are quite familiar to us.

It is because doctors don't understand tapering and withdrawal syndrome that this site exists. Your doctor does not have a clue what's going on with you.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, Snorky said:

Thanks. Looked at SS symptoms. Certainly ticks some boxes, agitation, confusion, restlessness, tremors, muscular rigidity, goosebumps, shivering, nausea and loss of appetite.

Those are withdrawal symptoms. It is impossible to have serotonin syndrome if you're not taking any serotonergic drugs.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:35 AM, Snorky said:

Update

Just saw Doc. 

Emphasised scale of v recent crushing mental, mood symptoms, agitated etc. Also loss of appetite and insomnia.

Review to see if symptoms improve (adverse reaction)

Consider next steps once med washed out (few weeks) 

He reiterated his view that some anxiety about med May have contributed.

Thanks

I am sure you have anxiety about your drugs, and that has caused your many drug changes.

One core principle here is STOP CHANGING DRUGS and let your nervous system settle down. You haven't done that in 12 years.

You have a few choices:

- Learn to cope with withdrawal syndrome with no drugs. Improvement will be very slow and frustrating, it probably will take months for you to see slight improvement.

- Reinstate perhaps 4 beads of venlafaxine ER AND LET THAT WORK FOR A WHILE. You'd stabilize for some months and taper off later.

- Reinstate perhaps 1mg of amitriptyline AND LET THAT WORK FOR A WHILE. You'd stabilize for some months and taper off later.

- Work with your doctor on new drug experiments. We can't help you with this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

40 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

This is a remix of your earlier insistence that you had a "chemical imbalance." There is no such thing.

Many people, including many doctors, think withdrawal syndrome is relapse or emergence of a new psychiatric disorder. It is not.

You could figure out how to get through withdrawal syndrome, or you could continue to experiment with psychiatric drugs until you find something you like. You'll have to work with your doctor on that. Your choice whether you want to "go back on the drug." We wouldn't know what to suggest,

As I've said before, my take is you are experiencing withdrawal syndrome going back to when you switched from venlafaxine to amitriptyline after misinterpreting this adverse drug reaction.

You had a history of switching drugs that caused your earlier period on venlafaxine to be rocky, but it seemed you were "fine" on venlafaxine for years before these drug changes upset the apple cart.

In my opinion, you should have stayed on 2.5mg amitriptyline, since it seemed to be helping somewhat.

The trigger was going off 2.5mg amitriptyline.

Many people here have withdrawal symptoms. Nobody expects them, they are always a horrible surprise. You might look around at the other Introductions topics to see what other people are going through. You are not alone. Your symptoms are quite familiar to us.

It is because doctors don't understand tapering and withdrawal syndrome that this site exists. Your doctor does not have a clue what's going on with you.

Those are withdrawal symptoms. It is impossible to have serotonin syndrome if you're not taking any serotonergic drugs.

I am sure you have anxiety about your drugs, and that has caused your many drug changes.

One core principle here is STOP CHANGING DRUGS and let your nervous system settle down. You haven't done that in 12 years.

You have a few choices:

- Learn to cope with withdrawal syndrome with no drugs. Improvement will be very slow and frustrating, it probably will take months for you to see slight improvement.

- Reinstate perhaps 4 beads of venlafaxine ER AND LET THAT WORK FOR A WHILE. You'd stabilize for some months and taper off later.

- Reinstate perhaps 1mg of amitriptyline AND LET THAT WORK FOR A WHILE. You'd stabilize for some months and taper off later.

Hi A 

V detailed and succinct as usual. 

Amitriptyline- only stayed on 2.5mg for a  week had awful adverse reaction. Also had anger, agitation, confusion while on earlier higher doses. Doc thought some evidence that amitriptyline not the med for me.

Venlafaxine-yep, probably on longest and relatively most stable. My only worry about reinstating this is big gap since came off. (Oct 18)

CT- continuing is my preferred option. I appreciate your comments re only expecting “marginal improvement over many months”. I’d be willing to carry on fighting if there was some small evidence of improvement.  My main worry is the emergence of the ghastly depressive, anhedonia type symptoms v recently. These just seem to be intensifying and becoming more frequent. Do you think I have some hope of these easing? 

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor
47 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You have a few choices:

Just to back up what Alto said, I look at it this way:  

If there was a drug that erased my anxiety and OCD, I'd still be taking it, and I wouldn't have wasted money on years of therapy.    Paxil masked my symptoms but didn't address the root cause.  Working with a therapist who knew the reality of withdrawal and who could teach me the behavioral and thought tools I need to manage my condition is what's worked for me long-term.  Yes, I still sometimes take a low dose of clonazepam when I'm in especially anxiety-inducing situations (e.g. I hate flying), but that's to tone down the physical symptoms until my management tools kick in.   During my withdrawal, I didn't switch drugs--I stuck with reducing Paxil because I didn't want to take a drug unless it cured something, and no SSRI or benzo can do that.  The only change I've ever made is switching Klonopin for Ativan, and that's because it lasts a bit longer,  so I can take it less often and in a lower dose.  

Withdrawal is one of the most horrible experiences I've endured.  I'm an educated and reasonably intelligent person who made a living doing highly analytical and complex work.  To have the instrument that made me successful--my brain-- turn against me was worse of all.  I had constant catastrophic thoughts, physical anxiety, and a feeling of being hopelessly trapped.  I had to remind myself that as much as I wanted to, going back on an SSRI wasn't the answer.  The only way I've been able to manage my anxiety and OCD is by finding methods that address the thought and behavioral patterns that caused them.  As Alto said, give yourself a chance to stabilize and then choose a path that will give you the best chance of real recovery.

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

5 minutes ago, mstimc said:

Just to back up what Alto said, I look at it this way:  

If there was a drug that erased my anxiety and OCD, I'd still be taking it, and I wouldn't have wasted money on years of therapy.    Paxil masked my symptoms but didn't address the root cause.  Working with a therapist who knew the reality of withdrawal and who could teach me the behavioral and thought tools I need to manage my condition is what's worked for me long-term.  Yes, I still sometimes take a low dose of clonazepam when I'm in especially anxiety-inducing situations (e.g. I hate flying), but that's to tone down the physical symptoms until my management tools kick in.   During my withdrawal, I didn't switch drugs--I stuck with reducing Paxil because I didn't want to take a drug unless it cured something, and no SSRI or benzo can do that.  The only change I've ever made is switching Klonopin for Ativan, and that's because it lasts a bit longer,  so I can take it less often and in a lower dose.  

Withdrawal is one of the most horrible experiences I've endured.  I'm an educated and reasonably intelligent person who made a living doing highly analytical and complex work.  To have the instrument that made me successful--my brain-- turn against me was worse of all.  I had constant catastrophic thoughts, physical anxiety, and a feeling of being hopelessly trapped.  I had to remind myself that as much as I wanted to, going back on an SSRI wasn't the answer.  The only way I've been able to manage my anxiety and OCD is by finding methods that address the thought and behavioral patterns that caused them.  As Alto said, give yourself a chance to stabilize and then choose a path that will give you the best chance of real recovery.

Thanks M

Did you see my comments in response to A? All things being equal, I’d be happy to carry on CT if there was some hope of alleviation of recent and awful depression and anhedonia symptoms. There should be m, shouldn’t there? After all, we are told there is no chemical imbalance associated with this is there?

My other fear about reinstatement is long gap, when this reduces chances of success. Also the old Russian Roulette thing again.

Thank you

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Administrator

As near as I can tell, you have ordinary post-acute withdrawal syndrome. Yes, the symptoms are ghastly. We know that.

There is no indication that your symptoms are significantly different from others'. Most likely, you will follow the same arc of recovery.

I read your entire Intro topic, you reported benefit from reinstatement of 2.5mg amitripyline, but it appears you confused ongoing withdrawal symptoms with an adverse drug reaction, including serotonin syndrome as I recall, and quit it in 5 days or so. Then you experienced an increase in symptoms from going off it, because after you quit it, you lost the benefit.

Reinstatement is the only way medicine knows to treat withdrawal syndrome. You are correct, this far from going off your drugs, reinstatement is not guaranteed to work. The only way to find out is to try it, at a very low dose. See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You seem to be working from many wrong assumptions. Read these topics

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome)

Progress! What withdrawal symptoms have gone away for you?

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

AND

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

As near as I can tell, you have ordinary post-acute withdrawal syndrome. Yes, the symptoms are ghastly. We know that.

There is no indication that your symptoms are significantly different from others'. Most likely, you will follow the same arc of recovery.

I read your entire Intro topic, you reported benefit from reinstatement of 2.5mg amitripyline, but it appears you confused ongoing withdrawal symptoms with an adverse drug reaction, including serotonin syndrome as I recall, and quit it in 5 days or so. Then you experienced an increase in symptoms from going off it, because after you quit it, you lost the benefit.

Reinstatement is the only way medicine knows to treat withdrawal syndrome. You are correct, this far from going off your drugs, reinstatement is not guaranteed to work. The only way to find out is to try it, at a very low dose. See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You seem to be working from many wrong assumptions. Read these topics

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome)

Progress! What withdrawal symptoms have gone away for you?

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

AND

Thanks again. 

I did  seek advice on here when I had “reaction” to initial reinstatement of amitriptyline. On that basis (and previous issues) I made the call that it was adverse reaction and a sign to come off. I was also influenced by advice to reinstate within a recommended timeframe. (I had gone just beyond that)

Am more than happy to re-read the guidance. However, my concern is about any reinstatement at a lower dose being compromised by the v long gap in my case. (Sept 2019 for A and Oct 2018 for V)

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Hi again

Just wondered if anyone had  chance to look at my last message re:

1. Evidence for not going back to amitriptyline.

2. Complications caused by delay if I reinstate venlafaxine.

Thank you 

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

We have given you links to all the information we have available on how to handle you situation. We are not going to make a decision for you, you will have to read the information provided and research throughout the site and come to your own conclusion. Asking the same question over and over again after it has been answered is counter productive for you and a waste of the moderation staffs time. If you insist on continuing to ask this same question or some variation of it then we will have to start issuing warnings.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

6 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

We have given you links to all the information we have available on how to handle you situation. We are not going to make a decision for you, you will have to read the information provided and research throughout the site and come to your own conclusion. Asking the same question over and over again after it has been answered is counter productive for you and a waste of the moderation staffs time. If you insist on continuing to ask this same question or some variation of it then we will have to start issuing warnings.

Profuse apologies. Certainly don’t want to waste folk’s time. I have indeed researched all the links and advice. I was simply flagging practical, factual issues which would militate against reinstatement of amitriptyline or venlafaxine. (Both based on advice on this site-1. Adverse reaction. 2. Long delay before reinstatement) 

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Not true to say this specific question “asked over and over again”..

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Snorky said:

1. Evidence for not going back to amitriptyline.

2. Complications caused by delay if I reinstate venlafaxine.

I've gone back over the early posts when you reinstated the Amitriptyline.  Things were complicated, but it looked like adverse reaction to me, combined probably with WD from the drop from 25mg.

Yes, it's been a long time since you were on the Ven, and yes it's best done sooner.  But there have been successful reinstatements this far out. The dose Alto suggested was small, which would minimize the severity if you had an adverse reaction, in which case you would stop immediately.

I hope this helps.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator
On 11/24/2019 at 6:45 AM, Snorky said:

Update 

Have taken 2.5mg for five days now. Today, felt “less weird”, still anxious, agitated and all physical/nervy symptoms, but not the nasty black feelings I had yesterday and Friday. Could it be that it’s taken this long to “stabilise”? What does stabilise even mean in my case?  

Thanks

On 11/27/2019 at 12:25 AM, Snorky said:

Further update 

Been off 2.5 mg for two days. Feel v anxious, confused, agitated, gnawing in stomach. Also still some of the depressed, restlessness, hopelessness symptoms. A nervous wreck in fact.

Feel like double whammy of continuing “adverse effects” and mini cold turkey (initial cold turkey Sept, followed by reinstatement cold turkey???)

Thankd

As I said before, we can't predict what will happen with low-dose reinstatement of either drug. Above, it seems clear you were doing better with 2.5mg amitriptyline, which would take a few days to ramp up to steady-state in your bloodstream. Your report of improved symptoms at 5 days was promising.

Then, went you went off, because "mental exhaustion" (if I correctly interpret your "new and horrifying symptom"), you lost the benefit of reinstatement. That alone should have told you to go back on at least 2mg, if not 2.5mg. BTW, fatigue is a common side effect of amitriptyline.

You have to keep in mind you fairly consistently misinterpreted what seemed to be adverse reactions throughout your drug changes. Please don't blame @Gridley for taking your symptom reports at face value. He didn't want you to be suffering from a serious adverse reaction.

You'll need to be much more realistic about what you can do to cope with withdrawal symptoms. We don't expect all symptoms to go away immediately. We expect that when you reinstate at a low dose, you may continue to have waves and windows, but of reduced intensity, that will gradually go away as your nervous system settles down. Low-dose reinstatement is a crutch to get you from here to there.

25 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

As I said before, we can't predict what will happen with low-dose reinstatement of either drug. Above, it seems clear you were doing better with 2.5mg amitriptyline, which would take a few days to ramp up to steady-state in your bloodstream. Your report of improved symptoms at 5 days was promising.

Then, went you went off, because "mental exhaustion" (if I correctly interpret your "new and horrifying symptom"), you lost the benefit of reinstatement. That alone should have told you to go back on at least 2mg, if not 2.5mg. BTW, fatigue is a common side effect of amitriptyline.

You have to keep in mind you fairly consistently misinterpreted what seemed to be adverse reactions throughout your drug changes. Please don't blame @Gridley for taking your symptom reports at face value. He didn't want you to be suffering from a serious adverse reaction.

You'll need to be much more realistic about what you can do to cope with withdrawal symptoms. We don't expect all symptoms to go away immediately. We expect that when you reinstate at a low dose, you may continue to have waves and windows, but of reduced intensity, that will gradually go away as your nervous system settles down. Low-dose reinstatement is a crutch to get you from here to there.

Certainly not blaming G. He’s been consistently supportive and empathetic. My mind was (still is) like scrambled egg when I tried the 2.5mg. I had no idea whether it was side effects, adverse effects, WD.... I may have acted prematurely in stopping after a week, but the first signs of the radically different depressive feelings occurred during this time.

Thanks for your support.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Hi

Hope I’m not going to be flayed alive like the other night...,

I’m back at work (somehow). I work for the government, and we’re lucky enough to have a Doc at work (aka Occupational Health Officer) I saw him yesterday, and he seemed to be content for me to carry on without reinstatement. Think this largely because:

Came back last week. 

Told him I was coping with the demands..

Ironically, day later and physically and mentally a mess, particularly bad bout of depression, anhedonia, angst and confusion all in one go.

Wants to see me in three months and organising some CBT sessions.

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Further update

I hope this doesn’t sound weird.  A few weeks ago, I had an awful anger outburst, trying to play FIFA on my son’s Xbox. (Yes, I am 69, but had previously played for many years to keep brain working and train hand/eye coordination etc) This was the first time I played since CT in Sept. 

I tried again today, thinking it might be a good way to see if my symptoms were stabilising. Unfortunately, result was worse if anything. Awful anger, rage and confusion. Nothing to do with fame, as I was winning. More a horrible brain reaction to a supposedly. bit of rest and recreation. 

I don’t know if it’s s manifestation of anhedonia? If it is, it’s much more severe than losing interest, terrible rage and low mood simultaneously. I recall a previous Doc telling me not to do “puzzles”, sudoku years ago, as my then symptoms might cause frustration and confusion. 

Wanted to exorcise the ghost, but had the opposite effect.

Grateful for any views.

Thank you.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

60, not 69😀

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Hi

Assuming no one has experienced this, would it be s good idea to add to one of the lists on this site? Ie activities that can precipitate an anger spiral.

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Further update on the anhedonia/depression malarkey.  I’m no Doc or Shrink, but wonder whether what I’m describing is a combo of anhedonia, depression and a sort of mental akathasia or restlessness? Whatever it is, it now precludes enjoyment of podcasts, games, YouTube, old movies, new movies,  scary movies etc. 

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Hi

Further update. I’m not “seeking reassurance” here, just specific question on something I’ve not mentioned. (Don’t think so?)

While on the ADsI struggled terribly with breathlessness while exercising. (Just about able to plod at 4mph on treadmill) I had all the investigations,  lung X-ray, lung efficiency, peak flow etc and all normal. 

When I initially CT’d in September, this improved somewhat. Fast forward to now, and really struggling, probably worse than b4. 

In addition to two BP meds, just taking Vitamin D.

Is this yet another feature of WD. V frustrating, as I exercise desirable and a distraction.

Thank you 

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Hi

No intel on this?

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor
On 1/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, Snorky said:

Further update

I hope this doesn’t sound weird.  A few weeks ago, I had an awful anger outburst, trying to play FIFA on my son’s Xbox. (Yes, I am 69, but had previously played for many years to keep brain working and train hand/eye coordination etc) This was the first time I played since CT in Sept. 

I tried again today, thinking it might be a good way to see if my symptoms were stabilising. Unfortunately, result was worse if anything. Awful anger, rage and confusion. Nothing to do with fame, as I was winning. More a horrible brain reaction to a supposedly. bit of rest and recreation. 

Hi Snorky

Yes, I'd guess this is another manifestation of anxiety and WD.  I often found myself getting angry at the slightest provocation like slow traffic.  I think anything that stimulates an already anxious or over-stimulated system, like one in WD, will have negative effects.  There were many times I had to play meditation or calming sessions on Youtube over and over to give my energy a positive point of focus. 

Tim C

10 minutes ago, mstimc said:

Hi Snorky

Yes, I'd guess this is another manifestation of anxiety and WD.  I often found myself getting angry at the slightest provocation like slow traffic.  I think anything that stimulates an already anxious or over-stimulated system, like one in WD, will have negative effects.  There were many times I had to play meditation or calming sessions on Youtube over and over to give my energy a positive point of focus. 

Thank you. It’s v weird, combo of impatience and mental tension. Anhedonia almost doesn’t do justice to it.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor
15 minutes ago, Snorky said:

Thank you. It’s v weird, combo of impatience and mental tension. Anhedonia almost doesn’t do justice to it.

Yes, I know what you mean.  Try to accept the feelings for what they are--transient and not rooted in any real problems.  Let them come but then tell yourself its ok to let them pass. 

Tim C

1 hour ago, mstimc said:

Yes, I know what you mean.  Try to accept the feelings for what they are--transient and not rooted in any real problems.  Let them come but then tell yourself its ok to let them pass. 

Thanks. At a very low ebb at the moment. Keep buoying myself with thought “tolerate the anxiety by not doing the obsession “ etc.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor
10 minutes ago, Snorky said:

Thanks. At a very low ebb at the moment. Keep buoying myself with thought “tolerate the anxiety by not doing the obsession “ etc.

That's a good approach.  It can be tiring, day after day dealing with the thoughts and feelings.  But take some reassurance that each day is one closer to recovery.

Tim C

57 minutes ago, Snorky said:

That's it! Very hard work but every time you do it you break the strength of the anxiety loop. Notice the thought, label it, let it pass. 

One thing that helps with strong emotions is this specific deep

breathing - breathe in for 5 counts, breathe out for 10 counts. Activates the parasympathetic system. Do it for 5 min when you're at the worst of it. Repeat when needed.

Edited by Onmyway

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

2 hours ago, Snorky said:

That's it exactly, Snorky. You're doing well, remember, it's early days yet. Over months, this will get easier. 

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

3 hours ago, mstimc said:

1 hour ago, Onmyway said:

That's it! Very hard work but every time you do it you break the strength of the anxiety loop. Notice the thought, label it, let it pass. 

One thing that helps with strong emotions is this specific deep

breathing - breathe in for 5 counts, breathe out for 10 counts. Activates the parasympathetic system. Do it for 5 min when you're at the worst of it. Repeat when needed.

Thanks O

The problem is I’ve been meticulously following the approach,  while simultaneously being on a horrendous downward spiral for about 20 hours. This mainly internal restlessness, tension and depressive sensations.😡😡😡

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

It seems that tolerate the “restlessness, anhedonia, black thoughts etc”, doesn’t work as well as tolerate the anxiety?? 

Just a thought,

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

1 hour ago, Snorky said:

Thanks O

The problem is I’ve been meticulously following the approach,  while simultaneously being on a horrendous downward spiral for about 20 hours. This mainly internal restlessness, tension and depressive sensations.😡😡😡

Me too, in a bad wave. But it will pass. Can you walk outside even if you don't enjoy it or can't find the energy? It might help with restlessness.

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

24 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

Me too, in a bad wave. But it will pass. Can you walk outside even if you don't enjoy it or can't find the energy? It might help with restlessness.

Hi

To give you some context. Been out for a few hours with my son, who had his first flying lesson. (Long term goal to be a commercial pilot) Lovely day, big distraction, family connection blah. Made absolutely zilch difference to symptom deterioration. (Depression, irritability, zero interest and restlessness)

Possibly the worst I’ve ever felt. 

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Further update Sunday 19 January 16.20.

Two days of sheer hell. Sleep ok, despite stopping sedative. Wake with usual mental angst, confusion and agitation, but can cope with that. What I hate is the waiting for the next inevitable, unbearable return of the “other psychological symptoms”.  This is depressive, restlessness and and anhedonia type combo. Comes on about 10am and then remains for the rest of the day. The waiting is almost as bad as the actual sensations. Wish I could bottle them and share them around.

Trying v hard to “tolerate the anxiety that comes from not doing the obsession” etc. The problem is the anxiety is the least of my problems at the moment.

Thank you again.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Hi All

Further update.  Going to bite the bullet with Omega 3 and Magnesium supplements. Over here (UK),  they have 1000mg Omega 3 and “max strength” 1105mg. The latter three times as expensive fir sane quantity. 

Would I be better buying the max strength?

Thank you.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

"Hi

When you say “it’s chemical in nature”... I thought the perceived wisdom on here was that it wasn’t. I ask as I’m currently sliding further and further down my doom cloud.  I trends to work from home today. (was a blessing while only dealing with fibromyalgia type symptoms) Now a disaster, obsessive thoughts and palpable depressive sensations. Utterly unbearable, and getting worse.

Thank you"

Hi Snorky,

Replying to your comment on my post to Tom 37 so as not to hijack his thread.  First, I'm so sorry your're struggling with symptoms from a ct.  I'm no expert and intend in no way to contradict the expert opinion here.  My intent was to convey to Tom37 that since he and I are both on a small dose of escitalopram,  its chemical nature continues to influence our thoughts and emotions either from its presence or its reduction (tapering).  Praying for you that things improve significantly very soon.

Md

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

11 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

"Hi

When you say “it’s chemical in nature”... I thought the perceived wisdom on here was that it wasn’t. I ask as I’m currently sliding further and further down my doom cloud.  I trends to work from home today. (was a blessing while only dealing with fibromyalgia type symptoms) Now a disaster, obsessive thoughts and palpable depressive sensations. Utterly unbearable, and getting worse.

Thank you"

Hi Snorky,

Replying to your comment on my post to Tom 37 so as not to hijack his thread.  First, I'm so sorry your're struggling with symptoms from a ct.  I'm no expert and intend in no way to contradict the expert opinion here.  My intent was to convey to Tom37 that since he and I are both on a small dose of escitalopram,  its chemical nature continues to influence our thoughts and emotions either from its presence or its reduction (tapering).  Praying for you that things improve significantly very soon.

Md

Hi

No problem whatsoever.  I thought that’s what you meant. I suppose it’s different in my situation, where CT, yet still may be suffering impact of chemical imbalance. (or not?)

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019