Snorky: Reinstatement of amitriptyline

Snorky

Oh, Snorky. I know exactly how afraid you are, how exhausted, how out of options and how desperate you are.  It’s hard to get over this.  It’s hard to avoid so many pitfalls while you try to get over it.  My medication was switched when my baby was born — overnight — from 40 mg of one to 10 mg of another.  It was a horrible shock to my system.  It took me over 6 years to figure out what had happened and what my doctors should not have done.

What doctors do not understand is that after that sort of shock our nervous systems are not the same.  They are fragile and must be handled very carefully.  There is dysautonomia aka autonomic dysfunction.      

For some reason not everyone experiences the same degree of shock, and because of that doctors do not recognize the link.  They don’t see the cause and effect with ADs, but with alcohol and with benzos it is well documented and accepted by the medical Community.  Slowly this is changing, but not fast enough.  There are a few neurologists who are aware of the problem.

The autonomic nervous system controls heartbeat, breathing, blood pressure, etc — all those functions that go on without our input.  It controls fight or flight, and that is why anxiety is a symptom of autonomic dysfunction.  The morning anxiety is a malfunction of that system, too.  We wake up each morning due to a function involving cortisol.  It is supposed to be a gradual process in that the cortisol level slowly rises beginning at about 4:30 am.  For us, there is massive spike in cortisol.  This results in fear, anxiety and panic.  The fight or flight response occurs.

Most doctors see and hear anxiety and they prescribe a pill for anxiety.  Many never think about investigating the state of the patient’s health or nervous system before prescribing drugs even though the drugs have warning labels.  Many doctors know nothing about PAWS or dysautonomia or the importance of safeguarding their patients’ nervous systems.  They see anxiety as a condition to treat not as a symptom of a medical condition that can be exacerbated by medication.

If you must do this, please know that you can open the capsules and take out the beads.  You can take a teeny tiny dose.  There are little beads inside the capsules.  I do not recommend you take Effexor at all, but you might suffer less harm if you take a tiny bit instead of the whole capsule. 

I know that fear and exhaustion are driving you to try this.  I was in your place many times myself.  I often hoped that SA was wrong and there was some doctor out there who would save me, but I couldn’t refute the evidence in my own history — each time I took a new med my condition deteriorated more.   Eventually, I figured out how that fact fit with dysautonomia and that there was cause and effect.

You do not have the same nervous system you had when you took Effexor the last time.  You have a compromised and malfunctioning autonomic system.  It is very fragile. Your doctor should be referring you to a neurologist, but very few neurologists know how to treat this syndrome.  So, I can’t say that would prevent the harm.  There is some chance you would get a neurologist who is aware of the need for kid gloves in dealing with your situation.  Please try to see a neurologist before you take 37.5 mg of Effexor.

I wish you the best of luck, and I’ll be thinking of you.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

21 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Oh, Snorky. I know exactly how afraid you are, how exhausted, how out of options and how desperate you are.  It’s hard to get over this.  It’s hard to avoid so many pitfalls while you try to get over it.  My medication was switched when my baby was born — overnight — from 40 mg of one to 10 mg of another.  It was a horrible shock to my system.  It took me over 6 years to figure out what had happened and what my doctors should not have done.

What doctors do not understand is that after that sort of shock our nervous systems are not the same.  They are fragile and must be handled very carefully.  There is dysautonomia aka autonomic dysfunction.      

For some reason not everyone experiences the same degree of shock, and because of that doctors do not recognize the link.  They don’t see the cause and effect with ADs, but with alcohol and with benzos it is well documented and accepted by the medical Community.  Slowly this is changing, but not fast enough.  There are a few neurologists who are aware of the problem.

The autonomic nervous system controls heartbeat, breathing, blood pressure, etc — all those functions that go on without our input.  It controls fight or flight, and that is why anxiety is a symptom of autonomic dysfunction.  The morning anxiety is a malfunction of that system, too.  We wake up each morning due to a function involving cortisol.  It is supposed to be a gradual process in that the cortisol level slowly rises beginning at about 4:30 am.  For us, there is massive spike in cortisol.  This results in fear, anxiety and panic.  The fight or flight response occurs.

Most doctors see and hear anxiety and they prescribe a pill for anxiety.  Many never think about investigating the state of the patient’s health or nervous system before prescribing drugs even though the drugs have warning labels.  Many doctors know nothing about PAWS or dysautonomia or the importance of safeguarding their patients’ nervous systems.  They see anxiety as a condition to treat not as a symptom of a medical condition that can be exacerbated by medication.

If you must do this, please know that you can open the capsules and take out the beads.  You can take a teeny tiny dose.  There are little beads inside the capsules.  I do not recommend you take Effexor at all, but you might suffer less harm if you take a tiny bit instead of the whole capsule. 

I know that fear and exhaustion are driving you to try this.  I was in your place many times myself.  I often hoped that SA was wrong and there was some doctor out there who would save me, but I couldn’t refute the evidence in my own history — each time I took a new med my condition deteriorated more.   Eventually, I figured out how that fact fit with dysautonomia and that there was cause and effect.

You do not have the same nervous system you had when you took Effexor the last time.  You have a compromised and malfunctioning autonomic system.  It is very fragile. Your doctor should be referring you to a neurologist, but very few neurologists know how to treat this syndrome.  So, I can’t say that would prevent the harm.  There is some chance you would get a neurologist who is aware of the need for kid gloves in dealing with your situation.  Please try to see a neurologist before you take 37.5 mg of Effexor.

I wish you the best of luck, and I’ll be thinking of you.

Rosetta

Thanks R

Your critique is v interesting and helpful. The only problem us that I’ve “almost” learnt to live with the anxiety symptoms. It’s the depression/restlessness/anhedonia stuff that’s crippling me.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

Amitriptyline October 2018-2019. (25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25)

CT 10 Sept 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 5 mg 29 Oct 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 2.5mg 19 Nov 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Vitamin D 16 Dec and Promethazine 25mg 16 Dec (one month only)

On 2/22/2020 at 9:16 AM, Snorky said:

I know the med route is far from risk free, kindling, stabilising etc, but it really can’t be worse than the status quo.

S

Oh, my....how wrong you are!  Reinstating to a full dose can absolutely be far, far worse than the status quo!  Believing otherwise is a fantasy.  If you think you've experienced the worst that is possible, you will find how devastatingly wrong you are if you reinstate to a full dose.  I'm sorry to be so negative, but you need to hear the truth. 

2016-Aug-Prescribed 2 mg Ativan & 10 mg Ambien; Oct-c/o from 20 mg Lexapro to 60 mg Cymbalta; Nov-Dec-Tapered off 10 mg Ambien    

2017-Jan-Feb c/o from 1.75 mg Ativan to 13 mg Valium & begin daily liquid micro taper; May-taper Cymbalta 60 mg to 48 mg with severe withdrawals.  Begin 11 month Cymbalta hold.

2018-Jan 11 completed Valium taper; Apr-Resume Cymbalta taper.  Interval dose progress: Apr 43 mg; May 40 mg; Jul 35 mg; Sep 29 mg; Dec 21 mg; 

2019- Apr 14 mg; Jun 11 mg; Aug 9 mg; Oct 7 mg; Nov 6 mg

2020-Jan 5.2 mg; Feb 4.8 mg; Mar 4.3 mg; Apr 3.9 mg; May 3.5 mg; Jun 3.3 mg; Jul 2.9 mg; Aug 2.7 mg; 28 Sep 2.4 mg/12 beads; 25 Oct 2.2 mg/11 beads; 22 Nov 2.0 mg/10 beads; 20 Dec 1.8 mg/9 beads

2021- 17 Jan 1.6 mg/8 beads; 14 Feb 1.4 mg/7 beads; 18 Mar 1.2 mg/6 beads; 18 Apr 1.0 mg/5 beads; 16 May

0.8 mg/4 beads; 13 Jun 0.6 mg/3 beads; 11 Jul 0.5 mg/2 beads; 8 Aug .03 mg/1 bead; 5 Sep 0 mg.

Brutal, agonizing, slow 4.5 year Cymbalta taper completed as of 5 Sep 2021.  100% psych drug free.  

Hi Snorky I have to say it was these stories that led me to not reinstate . I had in my head the question, could I cope with worse symptoms for a short while for long term gain?  Friends thought I was on some clean living,  drug free crusade. No if you could have given me a drug legal or illegal that could ‘guarantee’  relief from the debilitating symptoms I’d have taken it in a flash, honestly. For me the fear of it possibly making me worse ( even for a short while) stopped me every time. I knew I could not tolerate ‘worse.’ Some folk on here decide they can tolerate worse for a short time to finally get relief some don’t think they can tolerate feeling worse. Only you know that. Hang on in there. Think about all your options and get as much advice from here as you can. 

Take care thinking of you K🧡

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

1 hour ago, Katy398 said:

Hi Snorky I have to say it was these stories that led me to not reinstate . I had in my head the question, could I cope with worse symptoms for a short while for long term gain?  Friends thought I was on some clean living,  drug free crusade. No if you could have given me a drug legal or illegal that could ‘guarantee’  relief from the debilitating symptoms I’d have taken it in a flash, honestly. For me the fear of it possibly making me worse ( even for a short while) stopped me every time. I knew I could not tolerate ‘worse.’ Some folk on here decide they can tolerate worse for a short time to finally get relief some don’t think they can tolerate feeling worse. Only you know that. Hang on in there. Think about all your options and get as much advice from here as you can. 

Take care thinking of you K🧡

Hi K

Problem is I'm struggling to believe anytime no could be worse. I had holiday last week and symptom were disastrous, continuing to deteriorate. I'm scheduled to return to work tomorrow but know this will be almost impossible.(I know you work and find it helpful) I'll then face the inevitability of morecsick leave, more languishing at home with all that this entails. This is my current torture.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Meant don't believe anything could be worse than status quo (deteriorating)

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Oh Snorky,

its so hard I know because I’ve been there.I really feel for you I really do. 

Look it sounds like you’ve decided to reinstate which is fine lots and lots of  people on here make that decision. Please now if you’ve made the decision start on a tiny dose,  stabilise and then increase if you need to. But take advice on here how low a dose to start on. Many on here will be able to help you with  dosage. 

Take care S

thinking of you heaps K🧡

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

20 minutes ago, Katy398 said:

Oh Snorky,

its so hard I know because I’ve been there.I really feel for you I really do. 

Look it sounds like you’ve decided to reinstate which is fine lots and lots of  people on here make that decision. Please now if you’ve made the decision start on a tiny dose,  stabilise and then increase if you need to. But take advice on here how low a dose to start on. Many on here will be able to help you with  dosage. 

Take care S

thinking of you heaps K🧡

Thanks K

Have asked, but only been told “a few beads”.

Last night and this morning soooo typical.

Insomnia so woke about 4 with usual cortisol stuff. (Can handle)

Fitful sleep until 7, when husband got up to take son to school.

Loneliness/depression then kick in and unable to get any more sleep.

Have to get up, but no abatement of symptoms. Trying to do chores on lonely house, while feeling garbage.

Already stressed about whether I could or should go back to work tomorrow. This in addition to reinstatement issue.

Thanks for your concern.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

@Snorky   After 10 weeks reinstatement, I'm starting to sleep a full week.  It feels like stabilization. 

RealMushrooms' Lion's Mane 1000mg taken in morning is helping me with cognitive issues and it is only days that I'm taking it.  Also taking RealMushrooms'  5 Defenders powder (Reishi, Maitake, Shitake, Chaga, Turkey Tail) dissolved in my morning Nettle Tea.  I think supplements taken in the morning is better to prevent insomnia.  Supplements are exciting my injured brain.

I still feel inflammation in my brain (crane is too tight) and Cold Turkey withdrawals.  But when I enter a meditating state of full conscience of the life in all my body, without any thought, the symptoms are forgotten.  when I fall asleep, full conscience without thoughts is effective for me.

1989, 25mg, Amitriptyline 1st prescribed for 1wk insomnia, 2020 october Cold turkey

20/12/21, 22.5mg reinstated; waited 1.5 year to start tapering

21/07/25, 20mg tapering started. 10% every 4 weeks

22/02/26, 9.5mg - Emergency surgery put chaos to tapering: chronic insomnia till May

22/04/11, 10mg tapering started. 10% every 4 week. Sleep came back but trickled away in Sep' 22

22/09/17, 5,1mg - 10/15, 4.6mg - 11/12, 4,1mg - 12/10, 3.7mg.  Too fast. Permanent symptoms.

22/12/28, 4,0mg - partial updose where I'll remain until perfect stabilizing

22/12/30, 4,0mg - started Melatonin 3mg, Maritime Pine Bark Extract am & pm

23/02/03, 4,0mg - sleeping well every night with dreams, symptoms are diminishing

22/03/20, 4,0mg - insomnia is back on some nights. Waves. Anxiety. My dog is sick.

Maritime Pine Bark Extract (Omega Alpha Labs) in capsules am & pm, Melatonin 3mg

Hi

Update

Impressed and worried by warnings ref reinstatement of Venlafaxine. Went back to work today after a week off. Experienced worst possible symptoms. Psychological- awful palpable depression when driving (dark and raining). Also horrendous mental tension and confusion.engaging with colleagues. Finally- intensifying Parkinsonism (head tremors) and v bad nerve pain. 

Can you you please remind me how these symptoms could possibly get worse?

Thank you.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Hi Snorky,

So sorry your first day back at work was so challenging. When thinking about reinstating for  me I was scared akathesis, I saw a terrible case on Twitter. I had also heard of people being hospitalised and that was why I didn’t. Try to search for someone who has a reinstating success story and ask for advice. The wealth of knowledge here is greater than any doctor could possibly access due to the lack of research @manymoretodays might be able to advice on dosage. It is true your CNS is highly sensitive now due to the lack of drugs in your system so if you do decide to reinstate careful dosage is needed to help you stabilise as quickly as possible. 

It’s the toughest decision but you’ll get there eventually you really will. There must be some reinstating success stories. 

Take care Snorky thinking of you K🧡

Last dose end Dec 2018 

12 minutes ago, Katy398 said:

Hi Snorky,

So sorry your first day back at work was so challenging. When thinking about reinstating for  me I was scared akathesis, I saw a terrible case on Twitter. I had also heard of people being hospitalised and that was why I didn’t. Try to search for someone who has a reinstating success story and ask for advice. The wealth of knowledge here is greater than any doctor could possibly access due to the lack of research @manymoretodays might be able to advice on dosage. It is true your CNS is highly sensitive now due to the lack of drugs in your system so if you do decide to reinstate careful dosage is needed to help you stabilise as quickly as possible. 

It’s the toughest decision but you’ll get there eventually you really will. There must be some reinstating success stories. 

Take care Snorky thinking of you K🧡

Hi K

Thanks for thinking about me. So typical of you,  Akathesia? Think I already have the inner form of that.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor
2 hours ago, Snorky said:

Can you you please remind me how these symptoms could possibly get worse?

Thank you.

Hi Snorky

We have close friends who are well into their 80's.  The husband is a semi-retired Episcopal priest.  The wife is plagued by spinal problems and chronic severe nerve pain requiring painful cortisone epidural shots.  She has many sleepless nights.  She spends them praying for people in her parish she considers worse off.  It's all about perspective.

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

48 minutes ago, mstimc said:

Hi Snorky

We have close friends who are well into their 80's.  The husband is a semi-retired Episcopal priest.  The wife is plagued by spinal problems and chronic severe nerve pain requiring painful cortisone epidural shots.  She has many sleepless nights.  She spends them praying for people in her parish she considers worse off.  It's all about perspective.

I meant in context of WD, waves and windows etc. As I’ve said many times, I’d like to bootie the following:

Unbearable depressive sensations.

24/7 mental strain, tension and anguish.

Inner restlessness.

Anhedonia.

Parkinson’s like head tremors

It would be a salutary experience if everyone had a taste.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor
34 minutes ago, Snorky said:

I

It would be a salutary experience if everyone had a taste.

Edited by mstimc

Tim C

• Mentor

Snorky, I feel your pain and appreciate your fear.  But you need to break the cycle that makes you think your suffering is unique.  You are being buffeted by non-stop negative thoughts; I get that.  But instead of checking that every symptom is WD-related (the answer is always the same), maybe you would benefit from turning your energies to recovery and management techniques.  Those of us who have recovered are proof that you can make it too, if you give yourself a chance.

Tim C

• Mentor

sorry nothing really to add

Edited by Happy2Heal
decided info would not be helpful

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
17 minutes ago, mstimc said:

Snorky, I feel your pain and appreciate your fear.  But you need to break the cycle that makes you think your suffering is unique.  You are being buffeted by non-stop negative thoughts; I get that.  But instead of checking that every symptom is WD-related (the answer is always the same), maybe you would benefit from turning your energies to recovery and management techniques.  Those of us who have recovered are proof that you can make it too, if you give yourself a chance.

You’re  right. I’ve had the mother of all days and in slough of despond. I had no right to lash out like that. I just see so many refs to “anxiety” and all its manifestations that I would willingly swap these for my batch of symptoms.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor

It really all cones down to our own minds turning against us.  To me, that was the most frightening aspect of WD. 

Tim C

7 minutes ago, Happy2Heal said:

H

Had seen that video. Thanks. Appreciate how ghastly akathasia is. I’m grateful I only have the inner sort to go with all the other stuff on my particular list.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

2 minutes ago, mstimc said:

It really all cones down to our own minds turning against us.  To me, that was the most frightening aspect of WD. 

That’s so hard to control. In my case, everything is almost predetermined now. Ie terror of going to bed, terror of insomnia, terror of being home alone etc. I know it shouldn’t and is unfounded, but it seems to exacerbate my symptoms.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Update

Bed at 11.

Woke at 2 with stomach churning, mental pressure and nerve pain in legs. 

Only slept fitfully from then until 7. 

Worried and ruminated continuously about symptoms and whether/when they would end.

Is this a type of neuro emotion/spiral?

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Snorky Please Please believe me, this is exactly what I went through in the first few months after my CT. When people indicated that they had had symptoms for years I was terrified. I felt there is no way on earth that I could manage for years. BUT here I am 14 months down from a CT and still not healed yet. I manage I didn’t think I would but I do manage.

The biggest shift for me was from 

1) Truely truely believing I will get better, no matter how long it takes. I really do emphatically, believe that I will get better and I emphatically believe everyone will get better. 

2) ACCEPTANCE It was crucial for me. I still struggle and call out for reassurance when the going gets really tough but I do spend a lot of time just observing symptoms, Stomach churning, mental pressure, leg pain whatever,  I observe them and accept that these are all WD symptoms. Like you,  I used to worry/ panic about how long I could cope with them, another hour, day week,  month. It was like a double whammy. Symptoms and then worrying about symptoms. So I practiced stopping one. I couldn’t stop the symptoms but I could stop the worrying about them. Look I don’t always manage this but I practice acceptance as much as I can.

3) Distraction in whatever form. Talking to my sister on the phone, television. exercise ( positive double whammy!) engaging with my family, cup of tea and this website or Baylissa’s, . Anything to take my mind off my own symptoms. Pre WD I would do the former without even thinking but now I do them with purpose, to distract from WD. One day I will do them again without even thinking why I am doing them, just ‘because’. Because they are part of life.  

Number 4)  the hardest but biggest shift came with  the decision about reinstating. 

I still wobble on them all but my WD norm is to try and practice them all

I wobble less on number 4 these days.

I am getting better slowly and do have windows. My waves can still be really bad and at that time I forget about the windows. This afternoon I can remember all of this, so my current wave must be shifting!!!

Really Snorky these  four things have had the biggest impact on me. Where you are at right now was the worst for me.  I don’t think the symptoms changed much over the following months but my attitude did. I remember the very first time I just sat with the anxiety rather than panic about it. and try to change it. Really it felt so weird I was on the sofa, it was raining outside,  I closed my eyes and just observed what sensations I was feeling and where in my body I was feeling them. It was  quite frightening initially  it was very intense but the more I did it, the easier it became. 

Now when I have a trigger,  at work, with colleagues, when something is  mentioned in a meeting, a passing comment, I now just feel the churning and label it as WD, just as I label that squint in my eyes, as adjusting to the light,  when I turn the bedside lamp on. 

I may be stepping out of line here but making the reinstating decision  I think is your first task. Weigh up all the pros and cons and try to make that decision. You’re left in limbo otherwise and that’s a really tough place to be in. 

Wish I could help more but I can’t. I do know, I’ve been where you are, I really have. Please believe us all when we say you will move through this. 

take care thinking of you Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Mentor

@Katy398 Great post, Katy!  It really is about finding the right tools at the right time and to keep trying until you find what works!

Tim C

35 minutes ago, Katy398 said:

Snorky Please Please believe me, this is exactly what I went through in the first few months after my CT. When people indicated that they had had symptoms for years I was terrified. I felt there is no way on earth that I could manage for years. BUT here I am 14 months down from a CT and still not healed yet. I manage I didn’t think I would but I do manage.

The biggest shift for me was from 

1) Truely truely believing I will get better, no matter how long it takes. I really do emphatically, believe that I will get better and I emphatically believe everyone will get better. 

2) ACCEPTANCE It was crucial for me. I still struggle and call out for reassurance when the going gets really tough but I do spend a lot of time just observing symptoms, Stomach churning, mental pressure, leg pain whatever,  I observe them and accept that these are all WD symptoms. Like you,  I used to worry/ panic about how long I could cope with them, another hour, day week,  month. It was like a double whammy. Symptoms and then worrying about symptoms. So I practiced stopping one. I couldn’t stop the symptoms but I could stop the worrying about them. Look I don’t always manage this but I practice acceptance as much as I can.

3) Distraction in whatever form. Talking to my sister on the phone, television. exercise ( positive double whammy!) engaging with my family, cup of tea and this website or Baylissa’s, . Anything to take my mind off my own symptoms. Pre WD I would do the former without even thinking but now I do them with purpose, to distract from WD. One day I will do them again without even thinking why I am doing them, just ‘because’. Because they are part of life.  

Number 4)  the hardest but biggest shift came with  the decision about reinstating. 

I still wobble on them all but my WD norm is to try and practice them all

I wobble less on number 4 these days.

I am getting better slowly and do have windows. My waves can still be really bad and at that time I forget about the windows. This afternoon I can remember all of this, so my current wave must be shifting!!!

Really Snorky these  four things have had the biggest impact on me. Where you are at right now was the worst for me.  I don’t think the symptoms changed much over the following months but my attitude did. I remember the very first time I just sat with the anxiety rather than panic about it. and try to change it. Really it felt so weird I was on the sofa, it was raining outside,  I closed my eyes and just observed what sensations I was feeling and where in my body I was feeling them. It was  quite frightening initially  it was very intense but the more I did it, the easier it became. 

Now when I have a trigger,  at work, with colleagues, when something is  mentioned in a meeting, a passing comment, I now just feel the churning and label it as WD, just as I label that squint in my eyes, as adjusting to the light,  when I turn the bedside lamp on. 

I may be stepping out of line here but making the reinstating decision  I think is your first task. Weigh up all the pros and cons and try to make that decision. You’re left in limbo otherwise and that’s a really tough place to be in. 

Wish I could help more but I can’t. I do know, I’ve been where you are, I really have. Please believe us all when we say you will move through this. 

take care thinking of you Kx

Thanks K

Can I check re reinstatement decision. Did you reinstate after your initial CT?

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

I chose not to snorky. I was very scared about getting worse and hospitalisation. I was actually petrified the fear was greater than the concern about symptoms.It was a really manic time but once I made the decision and stuck with it, It felt like one less thing to think and I calmed down a little. 

Take care Kx

Last dose end Dec 2018 

25 minutes ago, Katy398 said:

I chose not to snorky. I was very scared about getting worse and hospitalisation. I was actually petrified the fear was greater than the concern about symptoms.It was a really manic time but once I made the decision and stuck with it, It felt like one less thing to think and I calmed down a little. 

Take care Kx

I think I just needed to look at your signature to glean that info. It’s also the on/off issue for me.

On Saturday, I was ready to go with 37.5mg prescription Effexor. Didn’t think it could possibly get any worse. I was also minded that bei

ng positive, accepting and distracting was likely to have limited benefit. (Mainly anhedonia and depress making meaningful distraction virtually impossible at the moment. The other resource I have are professional 121 therapy sessions arranged by my employer. This includes “forcing” myself to achieve positive activities and then reinforce with behaviour. (Only done 2/6 sessions so far)

Today in work, and managing a bit better with work and engaging with colleagues.

Overall, my mind is so all over the place that I stress about impact of being home alone etc. Those situations certainly seem to increase depressive and anguish symptoms.  Try to engineer situations to be out, but proving to be less successful now. 

Thanks

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Mentor
1 minute ago, Snorky said:

Overall, my mind is so all over the place that I stress about impact of being home alone etc. Those situations certainly seem to increase depressive and anguish symptoms.  Try to engineer situations to be out, but proving to be less successful now. 

Thanks

I don't know if you're familiar with Charles Linden and his method for recovering from anxiety, OCD and depression.  I'm personally not a big fan because I think his approach is a bit simplistic, but there is one thing I learned from his biography.   When he was taking benzos and dealing with anxiety and depression,  he was almost 100% housebound.  One of his hobbies was photography.  One day he forced himself to go into his backyard and take some pictures of the plants.  Even that small step began his recovery.  He went from his backyard to his immediate neighborhood to other places, always with his camera.  Eventually he was able to leave the camera behind.  If you're able to engage with coworkers, even for a while, you know there's a part of your brain that wants positive experiences--work with that and give it strength.  Starve the dark part that says you need to withdraw and avoid enjoying everyday experiences.

Tim C

1 hour ago, mstimc said:

I don't know if you're familiar with Charles Linden and his method for recovering from anxiety, OCD and depression.  I'm personally not a big fan because I think his approach is a bit simplistic, but there is one thing I learned from his biography.   When he was taking benzos and dealing with anxiety and depression,  he was almost 100% housebound.  One of his hobbies was photography.  One day he forced himself to go into his backyard and take some pictures of the plants.  Even that small step began his recovery.  He went from his backyard to his immediate neighborhood to other places, always with his camera.  Eventually he was able to leave the camera behind.  If you're able to engage with coworkers, even for a while, you know there's a part of your brain that wants positive experiences--work with that and give it strength.  Starve the dark part that says you need to withdraw and avoid enjoying everyday experiences.

Hi again M

Interesting with work colleagues. Not sure if brain wants positive experiences, orcIm just forcing issue. Re nature and the Great Outdoors. You’ll know I’ve tried all manner of things from feeding tigers to walking around local park and lake. The depression seems to be as bad as ever during those periods.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Bro you ain’t seeing **** , I have beyond 100plus symptoms. Hell is real man , brace up . For me I accept this is me now till when I don’t know and what I don’t know is the future....like the End . 

July 18 Risp 1/1mg day   on and of 12times didnt know it was the drug 

2m sep for 4 to September 9

Ct Sept 10 / RI 1mg Sept 15 to 16

went down to 0.5mg Sept 17/18 

CT sep 19 30mg whine drug estimate

tmj, brain zaps, itching, body pains, loud tinnitus, brain fog , tremors , body ,Td,deregulation , sleep issues due to loud tinnitus. Facial movements, clogged ear , choky , burning , discomfort,banging brain 

bruxism , teeth clenching, hedac/nerve p

29 minutes ago, Henryk12 said:

Bro you ain’t seeing **** , I have beyond 100plus symptoms. Hell is real man , brace up . For me I accept this is me now till when I don’t know and what I don’t know is the future....like the End . 

??

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

15 minutes ago, Snorky said:

??

I wish to have your symptoms in exchange for mine . You whine a lot 

July 18 Risp 1/1mg day   on and of 12times didnt know it was the drug 

2m sep for 4 to September 9

Ct Sept 10 / RI 1mg Sept 15 to 16

went down to 0.5mg Sept 17/18 

CT sep 19 30mg whine drug estimate

tmj, brain zaps, itching, body pains, loud tinnitus, brain fog , tremors , body ,Td,deregulation , sleep issues due to loud tinnitus. Facial movements, clogged ear , choky , burning , discomfort,banging brain 

bruxism , teeth clenching, hedac/nerve p

• Administrator

@Henryk12 perhaps you should pass by Snorky's topic in the future.

On 11/25/2019 at 3:42 AM, Snorky said:

Hi

Couldn’t get to see Dic today, so have to go back tomorrow. However, having another massive relapse today. Return of the awful anguish and depression I had Friday and Saturday.  Going to stop tonight, tell Doc tomorrow. I’m terrified that this won’t alleviate these symptoms, and then will be in awful uncertain situation of:

a) not knowing whether it’s discontinuation or

b) relapse causing chemical imbalance 

Then playing Russian Roulette to deal with it. I was coping during CT period (just), even though there was awful neuro symptoms and some anguish. However, nothing like this. 

The other thing is the palpable feeling of inadequacy. Ie husband and son going to work and school respectively, and I’m stuck here.

Thanks again 

Snorky, you were seeing some improvement with reinstatement of 2.5mg amitriptyline, which was the drug you cold-turkeyed in September.

Then you quit the 2.5mg amitriptyline after 5 days. Why did you do that?

Why do you think 37.5mg Effexor would be preferable?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

22 minutes ago, Henryk12 said:

I wish to have your symptoms in exchange for mine . You whine a lot 

???

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

@Henryk12 perhaps you should pass by Snorky's topic in the future.

Snorky, you were seeing some improvement with reinstatement of 2.5mg amitriptyline, which was the drug you cold-turkeyed in September.

Then you quit the 2.5mg amitriptyline after 5 days. Why did you do that?

Why do you think 37.5mg Effexor would be preferable?

Hi A

Hope you’re ok. Think we’ve been through the reinstatement of 2.5 Am many times. Dropped it after a week, due to:

Dr advice

Recommendation on here (G) Not blaming any individual, my decision but based on advice.

Ven- you’ll know I took this for 10 plus years, ending Oct 18 (150mg). No magic bullet, but the AD I did best in, functioned, was able to work. Not great, side effects, but a walk in the park compared to current symptoms.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

CT 10 Sept 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

• Administrator

I think we've explained many times how you cannot treat withdrawal syndrome as though it was depression. Do what you think is best.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.