Snorky

Snorky: Reinstatement of amitriptyline

Freedom15

Hi Snorky.

This is a list of what i have had as side effects/withdrawl from Amitriptaline over the past 5 years.

I will try to list as much as i can remember.

Altho i managed to reinsate i have had to do alot of reductions over 5 years so i have had to deal with

alot of the symptoms on monthly basis. Its really hard and can be super testing at times.

Just trying to remember that alotof  this stuff is not permanent and trying to just look at dealing with stuff

in a 24 hr period and not for the rest of your life can help.

Physical

Tremours

parkinson type movements

numbness over body

pins needles in hands, bottoms feet, across face and lips.

Pain in bottom feet when walking like being on hot coals.

blurry eye sight

dry mouth

gum recession.

hair falling out in clumps

twitching muscles

crawling feeling in body

inabilty to go toilet alot.

sexual issues.

weight gain

insomina at times when taken off meds ( did not sleeep for 3 weeks untill reinstatement ) and on reduction of dose.

Sensetive to sound and light.

Tinnitus

Mental

Fear

paranoia

anxiousness

hellucinations

circular thinking

obsessive thinking

aggitation

anger

suicidal ideation

visual snow

slowing cognitive ability

memory loss short and long

Snorky
43 minutes ago, Freedom15 said:

Hi Snorky.

This is a list of what i have had as side effects/withdrawl from Amitriptaline over the past 5 years.

I will try to list as much as i can remember.

Altho i managed to reinsate i have had to do alot of reductions over 5 years so i have had to deal with

alot of the symptoms on monthly basis. Its really hard and can be super testing at times.

Just trying to remember that alotof  this stuff is not permanent and trying to just look at dealing with stuff

in a 24 hr period and not for the rest of your life can help.

Physical

Tremours

parkinson type movements

numbness over body

pins needles in hands, bottoms feet, across face and lips.

Pain in bottom feet when walking like being on hot coals.

blurry eye sight

dry mouth

gum recession.

hair falling out in clumps

twitching muscles

crawling feeling in body

inabilty to go toilet alot.

sexual issues.

weight gain

insomina at times when taken off meds ( did not sleeep for 3 weeks untill reinstatement ) and on reduction of dose.

Sensetive to sound and light.

Tinnitus

Mental

Fear

paranoia

anxiousness

hellucinations

circular thinking

obsessive thinking

aggitation

anger

suicidal ideation

visual snow

slowing cognitive ability

memory loss short and long

Thanks F

I can relate to about 90% if your symptoms. The only other ones on the physical list are recent loss of appetite, a constant sort of gnawing feeling in duodenum area while in bed and short stabbing pains in arms and legs (could be your pin pricks?)

However, the one that is most present and most crippling is the mental strain edge thing. It is like an internal pressure that switches on for hours at a time, and creates havoc with thinking and communicating.Also often accompanied by depression and feelings of hopelessness (not always)

The thing closest to your “paranoia” is heating “sounds” when trying to sleep. Not voices, sounds, mainly like church bells ringing in the early hours. V disconcerting.

If you ignore my brief reinstatement period (four weeks), which I couldn’t tolerate, then my CT goes back to Sept 10. I’m now concluding that these are all WD and not adverse effects in view of timeline. Went to Doc today for review as in such a bad way, He’s ordered some more bloods on back of pain, tremors and insomnia. Will let you know outcome. 

Snorky

Also in last few days twitching on right cheekbone. (Hemifacial pain?)

Freedom15

Hi Snorky,

I think the thing that you are saying about the crippling mental strain edge thing that is switching on is what we would call a " wave "

Not sure if you are aware of the windows and waves of antidepressent discontinuation syndrom and withdrawl.

As your CNS is not stable it will go through a non linear process of trying to heal it self.

When you are in a window state the symptoms you have will not be so much.

When you are in what called a " wave " that is when your CNS is trying to repair itself and when i am in that place its like something

has totally over taken my body and person. It normally peaks with me feeling like i cant do this any more and i am vary aggitated and down.

In the early days back in 2014 thats when i would feel suicidal as well.

I have had to learn to live the good days and batten down the hatchs on the " wave " days.

How long are you getting between the windows and waves ?

There is no set time to how long it takes for each persons CNS to be able to repair itself.

Snorky
2 hours ago, Freedom15 said:

Hi Snorky,

I think the thing that you are saying about the crippling mental strain edge thing that is switching on is what we would call a " wave "

Not sure if you are aware of the windows and waves of antidepressent discontinuation syndrom and withdrawl.

As your CNS is not stable it will go through a non linear process of trying to heal it self.

When you are in a window state the symptoms you have will not be so much.

When you are in what called a " wave " that is when your CNS is trying to repair itself and when i am in that place its like something

has totally over taken my body and person. It normally peaks with me feeling like i cant do this any more and i am vary aggitated and down.

In the early days back in 2014 thats when i would feel suicidal as well.

I have had to learn to live the good days and batten down the hatchs on the " wave " days.

How long are you getting between the windows and waves ?

There is no set time to how long it takes for each persons CNS to be able to repair itself.

Thanks. Yep, know all about the w and w. My initial query was about the mental anguish as this had carried on for over a week. Ie, not talking about overall time for CNS to heal, just how long for an individual wave to complete. Today I also had v palpable depressive feelings, black mood, overshadowing all attempts at activities etc. I’m also curious whether this is WD or relapse.Ta

Freedom15

Hi Snorky,

There is no set time for windows or waves to complete.

It can be mins,hours,months or years.

Symptoms come and go as your CNS trys to repair it self.

You can take few steps forwards and then feel like 10 steps back.

From reading your posts it would seem like you are in withdrawl and it takes time for your CNS to recover.

I cant give any proffesional advice tho only share what my experiance has been over the past 5 years.

Snorky
52 minutes ago, Freedom15 said:

Hi Snorky,

There is no set time for windows or waves to complete.

It can be mins,hours,months or years.

Symptoms come and go as your CNS trys to repair it self.

You can take few steps forwards and then feel like 10 steps back.

From reading your posts it would seem like you are in withdrawl and it takes time for your CNS to recover.

I cant give any proffesional advice tho only share what my experiance has been over the past 5 years.

Hi 

Thanks. I get all that about waves, setbacks etc. My main worry is that all existing symptoms are intensifying, and being added to. Seems to be at odds with waves and windows theory?