SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Braaap37: Looking for advice on stopping amitriptyline

Braaap37

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and I am looking for advice and guidance through this journey. I have been taking 25mg of amitriptyline for a couple years now and would really like to stop as I seem to have some side effects from it. Recently I have been doing research and learned that this drug is really bad. At first when I started taking it, it seemed like a lifesaver. I had it prescribed for stomach/intestinal issues I was having. It helped greatly. But as time went on things changed. I get severe dry mouth, sometimes racing heartbeat, and severe dry/peeling skin. Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Braaap37.

We recommend tapering no faster than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Your first taper would be a reduction of 2.5mg, or 22.5mg.  This link explains how to obtain the small nonstandard doses that you'll need for tapering.

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline - Surviving Antidepressants

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Altostrata changed the title to Braaap37 Looking for advice on stopping amitriptyline
  • Administrator

How are you doing, B?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello altostrata. I'm doing ok. Thanks for asking! I did try to stop cold turkey before I found this site. I had what I would call a panic attack the night before I posted this post. I started taking it again at 25mg and so far things are ok. I definitely want to stop but realize that it will be a slow process. I am ok with that though. I definitely need to find a scale that weighs something very little. The scale I have wont even register 1 pill. I will be ordering one in the next couple days that way I can take 10 percent out of my 25 mg dose. I'm glad there is a site like this to show other people's failures so not everyone has to go through hell. I just wish doctors were better at their job. When I first became I'll about 3 years ago I thought I was dying. Stomach or intestines felt like they were rotting from the inside. Anxiety everyday and panic attacks a few times a week. My dad had similar stomach issues and said amitriptyline helped him alot. After a year of diet changing, supplements and trying many things, some which helped and some didn't, I finally was at my witts end and I decided to try what was helping him. It definitely helped. A few months after starting it I was back to work and feeling decent, but not back to my normal self. I still have no idea what actually made my health decline. I am definitely better than I was when this decline in my health started but I know I can be better. I feel a cloud is over me all the time and I want my motivation, drive and happiness back. Still doctors cant figure out my stomach problems and they just want to prescribe anxiety meds......eventhough I tell them my stomach is in pain. They just say its anxiety. I guess we all have to be our own doctors. Hopefully one day I figure it all out. 

• Administrator

Read this, you may find making a liquid of half your dose is easier than weighing Tips for tapering off amitriptyline - Surviving Antidepressants

You may have food sensitivities, such as histamine intolerance or dairy intolerance.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Braaap37: Looking for advice on stopping amitriptyline