shebop, tapering off Lamictal

shebop

I really wish there existed a comprehensive medical center that specialized in dealing with sensitive/anxious people. I can be a really good advocate for others in the medical setting but when I'm not feeling well and I'm anxious, it's hard to be objective and focused enough to ask the right questions and request the respect that I deserve.

Hi Shebop. I hadn't read your history before and just wanted to offer my support.

Your comment above is so true for me, also. I've worked with doctors for many years and also as a Patient Advocate. I always found it easy to speak with docs about someone else. When I'm the patient, the White Coat Syndrome hits big time and I can barely speak intelligibly. This is worse with psychiatry, IME.

I hope all comes back clear with your thyroid.

I had a very bad reaction to progesterone (Prometrium) - vivid, bizarre nightmares; deep depressive reaction. That was with only 2 doses. I don't know if it was the particular formulation. Very scary.

I got a good laugh at your "neuro-snarkiness" comment! LOLOL!!! THANKS!

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 2 weeks later...

Barbaraannamated: I love your name! :) Thanks for your words of support. My psychiatrist doesn't bring about the same reaction as other doctors. I think it's because I know what to expect from him and he's pretty laid back, although he doesn't give me much information about the medications. He was the first doctor after I got the Bipolar diagnosis that actually listened to me and questioned it. It's the medical doctors that seem to bring out the confusion and tears for me.

Thyroid was clear for malignancy but there's still some abnormalities so I have an appointment with an endocrinologist in a month. I little anxious about this especially since my last experience was so terrible. And my experience lately has been that the more doctors I see, the less healthy I feel.

I seemed to be having some reactions to the decrease in progesterone. Lately, I've had a lot of heart palpitations, although the past couple days have been better.

I continue to feel a bit "ruled" by my moods. I've had a lot of tearfulness and anxiety, particularly socially. The foggy brain, lack of attention/focus, and bad memory make conversations difficult. Communication, especially in writing, feels as though it requires so much effort, almost an impossible amount at time. It takes me a while to process things and to feel as though I explain things clearly. I've always been a bit of a slow-processor but I can't tell if it's exaggerated right now or if I'm just more self-conscious about it. I've also had a lot of realizations (should I trust these or are these based on neuro-emotions?) that most of the people in my life really don't know me on a core-level and don't seem capable of being really emotionally open and giving the sort of support that I'm really craving. Everything has felt up-in-the-air, including my relationship with my partner, my career, who I feel that I am. I feel extremely neurotic and isolated. But other times I have little bursts of energy and okay-ness.

1997- Started on SSRIs, many different kinds. Was tapered on and off of them due to lack of effectiveness and/or side effects until 2000ish.

2001 to 2006- Effexor, which despite tapering down lead to a terrible withdrawal and major depressive episode. Prozac early in this period and increased during withdrawal. Other meds were tried.

2006 to 2008-Lithium, Propanolol (to counteract side effects), on and off Prozac and benzos at varying doses. Tapered due to disturbing side effects.

2008 to present- Lamictal- for past year and a half have been titrating off of original dose of 200mg Lamictal, at 25 mg right now. Klonopin 1- 2mg at bedtime to sleep.