Talk Therapy

Sheera

I’m considering finding a therapist. My husband isn’t cutting it anymore and that’s a lot of pressure for him to deal with while also trying to support the rest of our family. However, I’m nervous that a therapist won’t believe I’m in withdrawal. Especially since I’m 3 years out. Any suggestions on how to explain this?  Should I trust my gut. If they seem skeptical they probably are?  Have people have success with talk therapy during withdrawal?  

Thanks all—

Sheera

Started Lamictal and Brintellix in November 2015

May 2016 Discontinued Lamictal 100 to 50 and then stopped completely.

October 20, 2016 discontinued Brintellex 10 to 5 then went from 5 to 0 on November 10, 2016.

Currently off all antidepressants

Current Supplements:  L-Theanine, Natural Progesterone, L-Methylfolate, Vitamin D, Omega-3's, Probiotic

11 hours ago, Sheera said:

Have people have success with talk therapy during withdrawal?  

I started seeing a therapist a few months ago and it's been really helpful.  In my case, we haven't really discussed whether or not the withdrawal is "real" - it's more about giving me tools to deal with the anxiety and other symptoms.  We're using the Cognitive Behavior Therapy method, so I guess it might depend on what "type" of therapy you get. 

2009Lexipro 30 mg, Bupropion SR  450 mg 2010 (?)Adderall 30 mg
? prior to 2014–Lexipro 0 mg, reduced Bupropion SR  to 300 mg
2017 – Adderall: May 25 mg, June 20 mg, July 15 mg
2018Bupropion SR: May 250 mg, July 200 mg, Sept 150 mg (poss withdrawal)
2019 Feb - Bupropion SR 100 mg  reinstated to 150 after approx. 1 week due to withdrawal symptoms
April 26  - Switched from Bupropion SR to Bupropion IR
April 29  – reduced Adderall 15 mg -> 5 mg, and caffeine 200 mg -> 100 mg

June 18 - Bupropion IR 131 mg, reinstated to 150 June 22nd 

July 21  - Caffeine 50 mg

August 12 - Adderall 2.5 mg, reinstated to 5 mg August 15

2020 - January 8 - Adderall 3.75, Oct. Adderall 2.5, Nov. 21 Adderall 1.25, Dec. 14th Caffeine 0 mg, Dec. 28th Bupropion IR 131 mg

2021 - January 20 -  Bupropion IR 112.5 mg,  February 9 - Bupropion IR 93.75, March 13th Adderall 0 mg, March 30th - Bupropion IR 75mg

A few years ago things started coming up for me during meditation that I couldn't handle on my own, so I sought a clinical psychologist. 

You can probably gauge whether they will be sympathetic on the initial phone call, or at least whether they would be a waste of your time.  Going somewhere associated with a university can help because they are usually much more up to date and research oriented than others.

If you don't like the first one you see, try another.  And so on.  Someone compared it to finding a hairdresser 🙂

The first one I found was enormously helpful with many things, including the mundane aspects of getting on in the world.  She was supportive and encouraging during my withdrawal.  (So is my G.P.)  After the first psychologist moved on, I worked with another at the same practice who is extremely switched on about trauma and understands the harm the drugs can do.  We promptly started some EMDR sessions which have been pivotal in my healing.

So I would say yes, and shop around till you're comfortable.  Good rapport is key.  I would actually recommend this to most 'normal' people too 🙂

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy