7PeTL7Iweswi: Cognitive Problems on Trintellix

7PeTL7Iweswi

Hello. I have been taking 10mg of Trintellix for about a year or year and a half. I am having cognitive problems (among other things) and processing information is becoming increasingly difficult. I write software, so this is becoming a major problem for me, to the point that I can barely do my work. I have to be able to think clearly and solve problems. Just now, I was barely able to decide which animal sings, a fish or a bird, in the registration form. I am confident that it is due to the medication and would like to stop taking it. My doctor suggested reducing the dose by half, but a colleague of mine has suggested that I register here and ask for advice about the best way to taper so that I don’t make the problems worse by reducing too quickly.

As of now, my plan is to start reducing my dosage next week. I am considering tapering over the course of 6 or 12 months. Instead of cutting the pills, I thought I could crush all of them and then weigh out the amount needed per day, gradually reducing my dose each day or each week. 

Would appreciate any feedback on that approach or any insights you can offer. Thank you.

Edited by Shep
added username to title

Trintellix 10 mg since late 2017.  
Attempted to taper by taking half dose July 2019, went back to 10mg after a couple of days. Begin tapering by crushing tablets and loading into empty capsules Dec 2019. Tapering 10% every 4 weeks.
Dec 1, 2019: 9mg

Dec 29, 2019: 8mg

Jan 26, 2020: 7mg (holding)

My friend said I should also mention that I tried to reduce my dose a few months ago in the way my doctor suggested (reducing by half), and after only a day or two, I became severely depressed and nearly suicidal. I increased the dose back to 10mg and felt a little better for a while.

Lately, I mostly haven’t felt depressed (some here and there, but not severely), but my inability to think through simple tasks has gotten gradually worse and worse.

Attempted to taper by taking half dose July 2019, went back to 10mg after a couple of days. Begin tapering by crushing tablets and loading into empty capsules Dec 2019. Tapering 10% every 4 weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome toSA 7PeTL7Iweswi.  I'm glad your friend suggested you contact us.  Doctors invariably recommend tapering too fast.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dosage every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Your idea of crushing tablets and weighing powder is a good one.  Many members use the AWS Gemini-20 scale, available on Amazon.  Other methods of tapering are in the following link specifically about tapering Trintellix.

Tips for tapering off Trintellix (vortioxetine), previously called Brintellix

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  Again, welcome.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley

• 1 month later...

Gridley,
I’m going through the same thing. Would love to hear how are you doing right now. Are you still tapering? Have your cognitive abilities improved?

General history:

2005 - Present: Remeron, various dosage between 7.5mg to 30mg

2011 - 2014: Lexapro, 10/20mg

2014 - 2016: Zoloft, various dosages

2016 - 2018: Pristiq, various dosages

2018 - Present: Brintellix 10/20mg,  

2019: Klonopin, 0.125mg as needed. Successfully got off of it in December. Concerta XR, stopped in December.

November 2019 - January 2020: Latuda 9mg

December 2019 - Present: 30mg Dextroamphetamine (for ADHD, don't plan to get off of that for now) 

Updates: 

Brintellix: Reduced to 10mg in December 2019. Reduced to 5mg in January 2020. Upped to 7.5mg in February 2020.

So, currently: 7.5mg Remeron, 7.5mg Brintellix

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm doing pretty well, what they call WDnormal, some symptoms but no big changes from day to day, a feeling of general blah most of the time as to be expected.  I would say my cognitive abilities have improved lately, able to find humor in things and even tell a joke or story.  

I'm still dealing with WD exacerbating existing non-WD conditions, for example social phobia, which I've always had, is worse.  I had to go to a wedding and party this Saturday and it was very difficult for me.  Sleep is fair, anhedonia continues, morning cortisol has disappeared.

Yes, I'm still tapering.  This Thursday I'll go down from 1mg Lexapro to 0.9 then hold for four weeks.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@leavingorganon are you taking Trintellix? That’s what I am taking.

I have reduced my dose by 10% twice now (just started the second cut). Not much has improved with my ability to concentrate, problem solve, and work, but I haven’t experienced many significant new symptoms with the exception of a few hours here and there where I felt more irritable than I should have been under the circumstances.

The company I work for has been generous enough to give me some time off of work, so day to day has been easier, but I’ve noticed that when I am faced with situations where I need to be able to problem solve or situations that are stressful, my brain completely shuts down, and I can’t think at all. It’s a very frustrating problem to have. The times when I most need to be able to use my brain, I physically can’t think through simple situations. It’s not like me at all and it can be quite upsetting. I’m just holding onto the hope that I’ll eventually feel normal again.

• 2 months later...

I have updated my signature. Tapering by 10% every 4 weeks has been working pretty well for me. I’ve been encouraged by this. I’ve noticed some minor withdrawal symptoms, particularly the first week after cutting each time, but nothing terrible. My ability to concentrate has improved some.

I have a new situation that I need help with, but wanted to post an update here on how tapering has been going. I’m not sure if I should create a new thread, but I’ll start by posting here...

As mentioned, tapering had been going pretty well. This week, I had to have a surgery to repair a deviated septum in my nose. I decided not to cut my Trintellix dose this month due to the surgery. I was put to sleep during this surgery. After surgery, I was prescribed Oxycodone for pain. I’ve been taking it for 3 days, every 4 hours, and have experienced some pretty significant issues: dizziness, extreme sensitivity to light and sound, some shakiness, difficulty communicating/concentrating and some anxiety. My last dose of the Oxycodone was last night. I’m not planning to take any more of it.

Does anyone have thoughts on why I’m experiencing these symptoms? Should I just stop the Oxycodone?