Onmyway

Progressive aphasia with WD?

Onmyway

Recently I have been having trouble finding the right words when speaking, especially at work. It gets worse when I am tired but it's there when I'm not tired either. I also substitute one word for another (inappropriately). I'm able to recognize it soon and correct it but it's quite disturbing. It happened multiple times during a presentation I was giving in front of colleagues at work. 

When I think about it, I sometimes also have trouble understanding whole sentences when people speak. I hear the words but can't put them together. and have to ask the person to repeat. It feels like I can't focus on the words somehow. 

Does anyone else have such symptoms and are they caused by WD and go away eventually? Or should I talk to a neurologist as it might be a different issue. I'm a bit worried. I've been cognitively mostly OK except for some complete brain fog on occasion in early WD. But this is continous and seems to be getting worse. 

I searched for the word aphasia and found a few people on the forums (@Shep) but was wondering if more people had it but did not use the word aphasia to describe it. 

UnfoldingSky

Yes, I had this and it does get better.

Onmyway
3 hours ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Yes, I had this and it does get better.

Thanks UfoldingSky, this means a lot to me. I have dementia in the family and was kind of losing my mind with worry whether it's that or whether it's WD. I can be patient with WD and bear and accept. For the other one I need to plan and change life choices. Thank you for giving me hope. 

UnfoldingSky

Onmyway, I am glad it helps. For whatever this may be worth we don't have dementia in my family, and I had these problems, so I can say the pills alone can do this.

delsol

Yes, this most definitely could be a withdrawal symptom. I've experienced it too. I can understand why it seems like so many WD things feel like more serious neurological conditions -- especially if you've had dementia in your family. But know that, like UnfoldingSky says above, these things occur in people who aren't at risk for dementia. It is especially frustrating when aphasia happens during a presentation. As for difficulty following conversation, my go-to visual image for WD is of a socket with too many plugs jammed into it. Maybe your auditory/speech processing circuitry is dealing with a lot of extra stuff. Also, if it's during a stressful situation like a presentation, it makes sense why it would happen then, when your nervous system (even in a non-WD person) is on high alert. Good luck.

UnfoldingSky

That's an apt image, the socket with too many plugs in it delsol, it's amazing when someone can sum up your experience in such a concise way, that very much describes part of my withdrawal journey. Thank you for posting!