CarolS: tapering Geodon after adverse reaction

CarolS

On 4/16/2013 at 12:34 AM, Altostrata said:

Some people get over withdrawal symptoms such as the brain zaps, and some people get worse for a long time. We don't believe in trying to tough it out when you get severe symptoms.

Hi everyone, 

I am having severe withdrawal symptoms. 
I couldn’t tolerate the drug, Geodon 20mg, from day one and had severe adverse reaction to it. I have been tapering since July. Every day I go into interdose withdrawal due to the short half life if this drug. It is destroying my existence. I am in excruciating pain and have been for months, since I started it in March. It is getting worse. There is no liquid form of Geodon here. Today has been unbearable all day long. Usually it gets easier in the evening, but not tonight. I feel as though it is squeezing the life out of me. 
I couldn’t find the right thread to post this under. Apologies. 

• Administrator

Welcome, @CarolS

I have moved your post here to start your own Introductions topic.

I am sorry you had an adverse reaction to 20mg Geodon. How long have you been taking it? What is your tapering method?

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @CarolS

I have moved your post here to start your own Introductions topic.

I am sorry you had an adverse reaction to 20mg Geodon. How long have you been taking it? What is your tapering method?

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

Hi Altostrata

I have been taking it since March this year. 
It took me until July to realise it was the drug causing the very adverse reaction. I started tapering in July. 
I take it at night at 10pm with some yoghurt. 
There is no liquid form of the drug here in South Africa. 
I have not been able to measure reductions accurately. I have been left to pour some of the powder out of the capsule, and measure by eye !!!! what is left. I take what is left in the capsule. 
I looked into getting a jewellers scale, but they only go down to 10mg. I’m sure what I’m taking is less. 
Every day I go into inter-dose withdrawal because of the short half life of the drug. 
I have become more sensitised to the drug, not less, due to this. 
I take about half or less of the capsule. 
It seems that every grain of that powder affects me massively. 
I am in living hell from this drug, and not being able to taper accurately, and the daily withdrawal. 
It has got worse with time. Today it is a crisis. 
I have become nearly housebound since I started on this drug. 
Today I have been in so much excruciating pain, I cannot move or eat. The pain usually stops at night time, but today it is as bad at 19h30. 
Thank you for your assistance. 
Kind regards

Carol

• Administrator

You can make a liquid yourself. Please see Tips for tapering off ziprasidone (Geodon, Zeldox)

I think you correctly identified the problem. Having interdose withdrawal symptoms every day is not good for your nervous system. You might divide your dose and take the halves 12 hours apart. Using a liquid with an oral syringe will help you dose accurately. You'd stabilize on your divided doses before tapering again, by very small amounts.

As you take it at night, you can take 1/2 of your dose in the morning as soon as you organize the liquid, then half in the evening. You might have some bumpy nights because you'd have less Geodon in your system overnight. You can adjust the doses for that. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear Altostrata

Thank you for the clarity. 
The main concern I have is that if the powder is suspended in water, and divided into two doses, that it will upset my GI tract, as this is what happens if you take the powder without it being in the capsule. 
Also, sleep is a major element, as you mentioned. It is the only time I get a break from the suffering. 
Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to CarolS: tapering Geodon after adverse reaction