Heath

Heath: Lexapro taper plan introduction

Heath

hello everyone I am happy to be here!

I started Paxil 20 in sep 2000 for stress anxiety and chronic back pain . I do know that anxiety- pain - depression all feed off each other. After 11 years on Paxil became sleepy all the time and no interest. When I would drop to lower dose I would feel better more interest in things. Tried stopping Paxil the wrong way twice. And Every time that I’ve dropped to fast and had withdrawals for a period of time and started back it always takes me 4 to 6 months to stabilize. Anyway Ended up with a dr -try this try that - side effects then withdrawals y’all no the routine. Dr doesn’t have a clue. I did meet one dr in 2006 that new about slow taper up and down don’t know where he is now.  I am in process of tapering to 10 mg lexapro. I’m at 15 mg lexapro for 1 yr. I will see dr in one week to get 5 mg tablets to reduce by 1.25 mg every 2 months. I will end up dropping 11% when going from 11.25 mg to 10 mg which will be a little more than 10%. In 6 months I will go back to dr and ask for liquid lexapro. That’s my plan . I want to see how we do getting to 12.5 mg first ! My nerves are stable at this time. Reason for wanting to taper on down tired of side effects. At this time dry mouth, dry burning sinuses, dry eyes, little constipation, sleeping 12 hours on weekends. I’m working in a job I enjoy which has some little stresses. I still deal with come and go back pain and life stresses. Teens and college!! Over the years I have became sensitive to these drugs withdrawals and such. Obsessive worry type anxiety. I want to fill my tool box with all resources I need for this taper down. Changing thought patterns, letting feelings be there and not react to them, pain etc. I would love it to find cbt/support groups that is experienced in the areas of my needs in my location. After trying to withdraw a few times I am in no hurry If it takes 4 years that’s fine. I have learned a lot about these drugs in the past. I am glad to have found y’all and look forward to learning more!! I am so glad I found SA!!! My signature info should be on this post let me know if it don’t. I’m still learning my way around.

thanks

Gridley

Welcome to SA, Heath.

Your plan sounds good.  Do try to keep it no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

For future reference, when you switch from tablets to liquid, we recommend a gradual crossover.

3/4 dose tablet, 1/4 dose liquid for 3 to 7 days or longer

1/2 tablet, 1/2 liquid for 3 to 7 days or longer 

1/4 tablet, 3/4 liquid for 3 to 7 days or longer

all liquid thereafter

Here's a link listing various tools for your toolbox.  Take a look and see which techniques sound like they would be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Here are some techniques for dealing with anxiety.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (magnesium glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. 

• Like 1

Heath

Is it ok to past a link to a site that has a document listing equivalent doses of antidepressants?

i think it will be helpful for everyone!

Edited by manymoretodays
none

Heath

Need some encouragement here 

I will see pdr dec 6 2019 after 6 months little nervous in itself. He wanted me to drop from 15 to 10 6 months ago. I cut the 10 into 1/4s but the 2.5 mg was too much. So when I go see him I will tell him and ask for 5 mg tabs. He will understand. Maybe that last 11.25 mg I can cut the 5 mg into 1/8 s to get under that 10% . And then ask for liquid in 6 months when I am at 10 mg. But I was on the fence about asking for liquid this Thursday but he may not or think that is overkill. This dr knows nothing of withdrawals or he does and just only knows to add or change meds. He tried to tell me I was bipolar and it was withdrawal. He always has told me awe just drop or up dose no big deal. And the klonopin he always ask do you need more !!!! I’m like No!!  He is easy going and every time I see him I can ease  around him. I talk about things and then  I try to let him know I am glad you figured that out - if you know what I mean. But if I go in there in big withdrawals I m looking at new meds or adding meds.  sunk ship!! He is lost if you are upset no compassion just a robot!  Anyway if I go in there talking about withdrawals and liquid lexapro it may blow his mind. I have to ease him in a little. That’s why get 5s this time and liquid next time.

Mom little nervous about turning tablet into liquid myself. Will compounding pharmacy fill your tablet prescription in liquid form. What are y’all thoughts?

thanks

Heath

I have attached a link to science direct that has antidepressant dose equivalents of most brands . It list it under results. It appears that you can download it in pdf. It seems to be pretty close to accurate! It compares all brands to Prozac 40 mg. You can do the math to compare what dosage you want . Example 34mg Paxil is equal to 40 Prozac which is also equal to lexapro 18. so if I want to compare lexapro 15 to Paxil, divide 34/18= 1.88, then multiply my lexapro dose 15 mg x 1.88= 28.2. So lexapro 15 mg is equal to Paxil 28.2 mg. I wanted to share this with y’all because it is important to what we are dealing with and very few people in medical field can answer the equal dose question! The more you know!!!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165032715001512

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from Journals, we've got the article in at least 2 places already but thanks Heath

Heath
On 11/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, Heath.

Your plan sounds good.  Do try to keep it no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  

For future reference, when you switch from tablets to liquid, we recommend a gradual crossover.

all liquid thereafter

Here's a link listing various tools for your toolbox.  Take a look and see which techniques sound like they would be helpful to you.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (magnesium glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here. 

On 11/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, Heath.

all liquid thereafter

Thanks Gridley!! I am learning a lot here. I am still reading through all that info you sent. I wished I had this knowledge in 2006 when I first tried to stop paxil. Better yet before starting it! There are health issues and symptoms I’ve had over the years that I am learning were side effects or withdrawals. I’m still learning what windows- waves and sert  occupancy are. It’s a lot to understand! How all this works. I see that you are getting closer to the end of your lexapro doses. I’m learning and trying to understand going slower the lower you get. I hope you are feeling better now. Today I made my first drop to 13.75mg. Dr changed prescription to 5s and 10s no problem! I don’t foresee any problems but I will know in a week or so. One other thing I’ve noticed last few months is itching on chin cheeks area.its not bad just kinda like a fly or bug you know.every so often.  I kinda think this may be side effect of lexapro? Thanks again!