Alli: Brain shivers and body tingling after withdrawal

Alli

My story is quite complicated. I have been Diagnosed with GAD. A psychiatrist put me on a mix of medication (4 meds) that made me feel ill and like a zombie, I was on this mix for 5 months. I saw a different psychiatrist who agreed to cease the medication basically cold turkey and started a new SSRI and propanalol. My problem is it is now 3 months since I stopped the horrid mix and I’m experiencing what I can best describe as brain shivers and internal body type shivers. It’s very uncomfortable and after 2 different psych opinions and 2 different GP opinions I still really don’t know what the hell is going on or if it’s going to go away.

Has anyone experienced similar and have any advice? Thankyou

Edited by Shep
added username to title

On fluoxetine for Aprox. 10 years stopped due to feeling well July 18. Went down hill. Tried fluoxetine again didn’t respond so tried Effexor and Endep no sucess.

On this combination below for aprox. 5 months. Removed basically Cold Turkey Aug 19

Started Feb 19 100 mg Pristiq

Started Jan 19 0.25 mg Clonazapam

Started Jan 19 0.5 mg Respiradone

Started Feb 19 30 mg Mertazipine

Currently: Started Aug 2019

100 mg Fluvoxamine. Taken nightly at 8:30pm

40 mg  Propanalol. 20 mg at night 20 mg morning. Started same time Fluvoxamine.

Reduced to 10 mg night aprox 7 Dec.

Reduced to 10 mg morning 6 Jan. Upped to 15mg morning 8 Jan. (in order to take it slower)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Alli.

You are suffering from withdrawal from the cold turkey of your previous medications.  Brain shivers, known as brain zaps, are a common withdrawal symptom.  Doctors know nothing about withdrawal and in fact don't believe it exists.  The body shivers sounds like it''s related to the brain zaps.  

Brain zaps - Surviving Antidepressants

So that you'll have a better understanding of what you're experiencing here is some information on withdrawal.  It will stop, but unfortunately, there's no way to predict how long these symptoms will persist.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain it really well:

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include your current and previous drugs.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

6 hours ago, Alli said:

I’m experiencing what I can best describe as brain shivers and internal body type shivers. It’s very uncomfortable and after 2 different psych opinions and 2 different GP opinions I still really don’t know what the hell is going on or if it’s going to go away.

I know this very well and most people on this site too. 

brain shivers and body shivers are really very bad and unpleasant.

mine was happened when I stopped all the meds for 3 days. and its gone when I took it back in a week.

I am not experienced to give you any suggestion on that what would help you because I am also a sufferer and try to come out of this very bad times.

May Allah give you strength.

2008-2012-> paroxetine37.5mg,fluxetine 60mg(prozac),fluvoxamine 200mg(luvox cr),citalopram,escitalopram oxalate 10mg(cipradep),Clonazepam 0.5mg(clonotril)->4 years****2012-2013->escitalopram (Feliz-s20mg),escitalopram oxalate 10mg(cipradep),Risperidone 0.5mg->1 year****Aug 2013-nov2014->Venlor xr (effexor) 37.5mg morning and 75mg evening,clonotril0.5mg->1 year 3 month****nov2014-apr2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->1 year 5 month****apr2016-jun2016->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->5 month****jun2017-jan2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->1 year 5 month****jan 2019-jun2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->6 month->(extreme stress, job loss, relationships-3)******jun2019-Oct2019->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg twice a day->5 month->withdrawal effect*******

Oct2019 first week->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg once a day ->1 month->extreme withdrawal effect*****26-oct-2019- 2-dec-2019 reinstate ->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning and 75mg evening->1 month->some relief*****2-dec-2019 reinstate ->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg morning and 75mg evening->12 month->more relief , extreme stress caa/nrc/riots/corona lockdown/mike and dipen site/nida marriage*****26-dec-2020->Venlor xr (effexor) 225mg Noon->3 month->better sleep******

20-mar-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg Noon->1 month->reduce because cupping better sleep *****

27-apr-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 225mg Noon->1 month->got energy bck

07-jun-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 225mg Noon->1 month->too much fat gain

07-jul-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 150mg Noon & vilazodone 20mg night->little at reduced, feeling light from inside.----1 month

29-jul-2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning & vilazodone 20mg noon->improved more-----2months

sep 2021->Venlor xr (effexor) 75mg morning(alternate days) & vilazodone 20mg noon->improved more-> in just 10 days effects visible , alternate wont work.

On sep 2021 Total time on:-

initial diff meds:- 4years

venlafaxine:-8yrs+

vilozodone:- 3months+

• 2 weeks later...

Aprox 11weeks since stopping mertazipine basically c/t and my body just feels increasingly uncomfortable. I can’t relax my muscles twitch and I have this tingling ‘pins and needles’ sensation through my body and head. It tends to get worse if I’m anxious. I’ve been sweating at night and finding it hard to regulate my body temp. Ie can be freezing cold when it’s really hot.

Im scared of permanent nerve damage. Are there any positive stories out there that can give me some hope?

I should add in the least 4 months I have also come of 3 other meds too.

Thanks for your time in reading x

On fluoxetine for Aprox. 10 years stopped due to feeling well July 18. Went down hill. Tried fluoxetine again didn’t respond so tried Effexor and Endep no sucess.

On this combination below for aprox. 5 months. Removed basically Cold Turkey Aug 19

Reduced to 10 mg morning 6 Jan. Upped to 15mg morning 8 Jan. (in order to take it slower)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Alli.

You are experiencing typical withdrawal symptoms from your rapid taper/cold turkey of the four drugs.  Body temperature dysregulation and pins and needles are common in withdrawal.  

Paresthesia: Pins & Needles, Numbness, Tingling, Burning ...

You will recover from withdrawal but unfortunately there's no way to predict how long it will take. So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

If you will Google survivingantidepressants.org success stories you will find many members' stories of healing after stopping psychiatric drugs.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

You have made a number of changes in a short time.  I would make no further changes at this time.  Your central nervous system craves stability.

This is your Introduction thread, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for reassurance and HOPE!

I am about 18 weeks off a concoction of 4 medications (pretty much cold turkey) and still everyday I have uncomfortable brain and body tingling/tightening/shivers, muscles tensing and just generally can’t relax my body. At the slightest sign of anxiety my symptoms ramp up significantly. I cry at the drop of a hat and feel really depressed some days and then fine the next day (haven’t experienced this until stopping meds).

i have heard about waves and windows and I just feel like I’m on a constant wave no breaks. 

Can anyone provide any advice? Feeling desperate. Dr says it’s new somatic symptoms of anxiety??? Only started after withdrawing but dr doesn’t believe it would be withdrawal.

It totally is WD. Don't let your doc tell you otherwise. Have you made an introduction topic?

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Alli I have combined your two introduction topics - only one intro topic per member. This keeps all of your information in one place.

Please continue to ask questions here in your intro topic. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/1/2020 at 9:27 PM, Alli said:

Looking for reassurance and HOPE!

I am about 18 weeks off a concoction of 4 medications (pretty much cold turkey) and still everyday I have uncomfortable brain and body tingling/tightening/shivers, muscles tensing and just generally can’t relax my body. At the slightest sign of anxiety my symptoms ramp up significantly. I cry at the drop of a hat and feel really depressed some days and then fine the next day (haven’t experienced this until stopping meds).

i have heard about waves and windows and I just feel like I’m on a constant wave no breaks. 

7 hours ago, Alli said:

Can anyone provide any advice? Feeling desperate. Dr says it’s new somatic symptoms of anxiety??? Only started after withdrawing but dr doesn’t believe it would be withdrawal.

I've also combined your Symptoms and Self-Care thread into your intro topic, as you are asking for advice about your own taper / withdrawal experience. Let's please stay focused here on your intro thread until your questions about your taper are answered. 

Please add dates to your signature for when you started and stopped Pristiq, Clonazepam, Respiradone, and mirtazapine. A direct link to your signature is here:

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

What time(s) of the day are you taking fluvoxamine (Luvox) and propranolol? 

Some of your symptoms may be coming from rebound and / or paradoxical reactions due to propranolol, so having the time(s) of day you're dosing both drugs may help us set up a better dosing schedule to make you more comfortable. 

8 hours ago, Shep said:

I've also combined your Symptoms and Self-Care thread into your intro topic, as you are asking for advice about your own taper / withdrawal experience. Let's please stay focused here on your intro thread until your questions about your taper are answered. 

Please add dates to your signature for when you started and stopped Pristiq, Clonazepam, Respiradone, and mirtazapine. A direct link to your signature is here:

Some of your symptoms may be coming from rebound and / or paradoxical reactions due to propranolol, so having the time(s) of day you're dosing both drugs may help us set up a better dosing schedule to make you more comfortable. 

I am so grateful for your response!!!

I have updated my signature. I started the propanalol in Aug when I ct the 4 medications and started the Luvox. I was meant to take it for 4 weeks only until everything settled down but my dr keeps saying just to keep taking it. This is the first mention I’ve heard of rebound /paradoxical symptoms from propanalol. I want to trial stopping it to see if my symptoms ease, what would you suggest? Do you have any more info on rebound/paradoxical symptoms? Again Thankyou so much for your response!!!

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Shep said:

Alli, don't forget to answer Shep's question above.

Also Shep needs the dates when you stopped.  This will help her advise you.

25 minutes ago, Alli said:

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

20 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Alli, don't forget to answer Shep's question above.

Also Shep needs the dates when you stopped.  This will help her advise you.

Thanks I have updated now. Could it be akasthesia I’m experiencing?

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Alli said:

akasthesia

Shep is more familiar with your situation and would be the better person to ask.  For your background information, here's a link on akathisia.  From what you've described, i doesn't sound like akathisia.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thanks Gridley look forward to sheps response.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, Alli said:

My story is quite complicated. I have been Diagnosed with GAD. A psychiatrist put me on a mix of medication (4 meds) that made me feel ill and like a zombie, I was on this mix for 5 months. I saw a different psychiatrist who agreed to cease the medication basically cold turkey and started a new SSRI and propanalol. My problem is it is now 3 months since I stopped the horrid mix and I’m experiencing what I can best describe as brain shivers and internal body type shivers. It’s very uncomfortable and after 2 different psych opinions and 2 different GP opinions I still really don’t know what the hell is going on or if it’s going to go away.

Has anyone experienced similar and have any advice? Thankyou

Please keep reading as I e added more to this post beloe

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for updating your signature, Alli. First I want to mention a "moderate" drug interaction between these two drugs. Please see this report here:

Drug Interaction Checker - propranolol & fluvoxamine

On 1/1/2020 at 9:27 PM, Alli said:

I have uncomfortable brain and body tingling/tightening/shivers, muscles tensing and just generally can’t relax my body.

This could be the drug interaction, along with still being in withdrawal from the other drugs you were on previously. However, since you've been on this new drug cocktail for 5 months, there's not much you can do at this point regarding the older drugs. But it may be possible to make some timing changes of when you take your current drugs to lower the drug interaction so you're more comfortable. 

I want to give you some information on these drugs so you'll be more familiar with them, but please don't make any changes yet. Let's set up a strategy first. 

Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Tips for tapering off propranolol

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Questions -  Fluvoamine's half-life is only 15.6 hours for the regular version, but there is an extended version. Are you on the extended release version of fluvoxamine? Please note that if you're on the regular version, you may be going into interdose withdrawal (withdrawal in between doses).

Propranolol's half-life is only a few hours. But again, there's also an extended release version that has a 10-hour half-life. Which version are you taking? 

Request - Please start a drug and symptoms journal using the below format. Also include:

• any supplements and other medications you are taking
  • how much sleep you are getting

After a few days of this journal, we can go through it and set up a game plan for spacing your drugs and eventually, tapering off. 

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

7 hours ago, Shep said:

Thanks for updating your signature, Alli. First I want to mention a "moderate" drug interaction between these two drugs. Please see this report here:

Drug Interaction Checker - propranolol & fluvoxamine

This could be the drug interaction, along with still being in withdrawal from the other drugs you were on previously. However, since you've been on this new drug cocktail for 5 months, there's not much you can do at this point regarding the older drugs. But it may be possible to make some timing changes of when you take your current drugs to lower the drug interaction so you're more comfortable. 

I want to give you some information on these drugs so you'll be more familiar with them, but please don't make any changes yet. Let's set up a strategy first. 

Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Tips for tapering off propranolol

Questions -  Fluvoamine's half-life is only 15.6 hours for the regular version, but there is an extended version. Are you on the extended release version of fluvoxamine? Please note that if you're on the regular version, you may be going into interdose withdrawal (withdrawal in between doses).

Propranolol's half-life is only a few hours. But again, there's also an extended release version that has a 10-hour half-life. Which version are you taking? 

Request - Please start a drug and symptoms journal using the below format. Also include:

• any supplements and other medications you are taking
  • how much sleep you are getting

After a few days of this journal, we can go through it and set up a game plan for spacing your drugs and eventually, tapering off. 

16 minutes ago, Alli said:

Hi Shep! You have no idea how grateful I am for your responses and insight. Finally someone willing to help me.

I do not believe I am on the slow release formulation for either the Fluvoxamine or Prpanalol. 

I have cut the Propanalol to:

10 mg in morning (cut from 20mg yesterday, have started reducing so I figure I may as well continue)

10 mg in evening ( cut from 20mg about 3 weeks ago)

I will start keeping a journal as suggested.

Thankyou again.

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Alli said:

I have cut the Propanalol to:

10 mg in morning (cut from 20mg yesterday, have started reducing so I figure I may as well continue)

10 mg in evening ( cut from 20mg about 3 weeks ago)

Again, please don't make any changes until we've had a chance to go over your drug and symptoms journal. 

Reducing from 20 mg to 10 mg is far too much of a reduction. I would go back up to 20 mg for the morning dose. 

Please update your signature to reflect that you reduced the evening dose 3 weeks ago (your signature currently states 20 mg at night and 20 mg in the morning). 

14 hours ago, Shep said:

Again, please don't make any changes until we've had a chance to go over your drug and symptoms journal. 

Reducing from 20 mg to 10 mg is far too much of a reduction. I would go back up to 20 mg for the morning dose. 

Please update your signature to reflect that you reduced the evening dose 3 weeks ago (your signature currently states 20 mg at night and 20 mg in the morning). 

Hi Shep

I have started a journal however I feel most of my days are exactly the same where I’m experiencing the uncomfortable sensations pretty much all day and it’s been like this for months. When I am tired or anxious it does tend to make the symptoms worse.

As I’m desperate to wean off the propanalol would you be happy for me to start now? Now is a good time as I have no obligations outside of home to attend too and I’m at a point I just want to try something! I really appreciate your help and assistance. 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Alli said:

As I’m desperate to wean off the propanalol would you be happy for me to start now?

Please don't make any changes until we have a chance to go over your drug and symptoms journal. Propranolol may not be the first drug you need to taper first. Please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Shep, I am continuing to keep the journal but I have decided I would like to take out the propanalol withouttaking out the Fluvoxamine. I understand the reasons why propanalol May go last if withdrawing both, however due to the extensive problems I’ve had when I start and come off anti depressants I want to see if I can stay on it. I’m hoping it is the prop. Causing the problems.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's up to you, Alli. I cannot advise doing that, especially since you haven't provided a drug and symptoms journal. It's possible some of your symptoms are due to the short half-life of one or both of your drugs. Reducing propranolol likely will not solve that problem. You may feel better if you're experiencing the possible adverse drug interaction noted earlier in your thread, but you could solve that problem by spacing these two drugs out by at least 2 hours apart. 

Again, without a drug and symptoms journal, it's just random guesswork. 

15 hours ago, Shep said:

That's up to you, Alli. I cannot advise doing that, especially since you haven't provided a drug and symptoms journal. It's possible some of your symptoms are due to the short half-life of one or both of your drugs. Reducing propranolol likely will not solve that problem. You may feel better if you're experiencing the possible adverse drug interaction noted earlier in your thread, but you could solve that problem by spacing these two drugs out by at least 2 hours apart. 

23 hours ago, Alli said:

Shep, I am continuing to keep the journal but I have decided I would like to take out the propanalol withouttaking out the Fluvoxamine. I understand the reasons why propanalol May go last if withdrawing both, however due to the extensive problems I’ve had when I start and come off anti depressants I want to see if I can stay on it. I’m hoping it is the prop. Causing the problems.

15 hours ago, Shep said:

Journal:

Sleep: 7 hours woke 3 times. Bed 8:30pm woke at 9:45pm, 11pm, 4am

Woke with head tingling 

9am 15mg prop

10am body tense tingly sensations

2pm extremely tired, head buzzing

4pm headache

5:45 10mg prop

8pm luvox

9:45 nurofen for headache (got period next day which generally causes headache day before)

Sleep: 8 hours woke twice

woke with less tingling

9am 15mg prop

10am tingling started

12pm intense anxiety

1pm 30 min sleep

2pm head buzzing

will keep updating

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Alli said:

How quickly did you come off Fluvoxamine in the past? Keep in mind that withdrawal, especially from a cold turkey or rapid taper (faster than 10% reductions a month) create many of the symptoms that doctors call "depression" and "anxiety," when really, it's withdrawal symptoms CAUSED by the drug and the way it changes the brain. Please see this link for resources that list the possible symptoms of withdrawal (which many doctors mistake for a "return of the original illness"): 

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Please also see:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

There is no underlying chemical imbalance, if that's the reason you wish to stay on an antidepressant. Please see: 

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

You may also want to read Robert Whitaker's book, which comes highly recommended here:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

A short video book trailer by the author:

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video (11 minutes)

Let's figure out this part first because you're basing how you wish to taper on information that may not be accurate. Please do some research before removing a "brake" before an "accelerator" (as explained in the "Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?" link I posted earlier in your thread). Right now, you're sleeping 8 hours a night and that may not be possible without the "brake." 

Also, let's take a look at these recent propranolol changes (quoted from your signature):

Please note it takes about 4 days for the nervous system to register a change and a week or longer for your brain/body to adjust to the change. So this likely will take awhile for your nervous system to sort out. 

Thank you for starting your drug and symptoms journal. Does your symptom severity get better or worse as the day progresses? 

• 3 weeks later...

Ally how are you doing on the fluvoxamine.

1993-2017 Sertraline 50 mgs

2017- 2018   Effexsor 75mgs 6 months 75 mgs   Prozac.  5/18  3 months 20 mgs

Pristiq.   8/18. 3 months  50     Paxil   9/18 -  4 months 20 mgs  Klonopin .5 once a day

2019       Amitriptyline  2/19- 8/19  Klonopin .25 once a day

Luvox  5/2019- 1/2020 withdrawal from 12.5 mgs  on 1/9/2020,

Sertraline 9/24/19-1/8/2020 50mgs, Rexalti .25 mg 1/2/20-1/17/20

PRESENT  (Sertraline. 1/9/19 - present 62.5 mg) 7:00 am        
                       (Mirtazipine 9/18- present 7.5mgs). 7:30pm
                       (Klonopin 12/24- 2/23/2020  (.125). 7:00am  Klonopin 2/24/ 2020  (.112mg)

(Luvox 12/2019-  6mgs). Luvox 2/1/2020 (3mgs)

1988- present.    Lisinipril 40mgs blood pressure 9:00  Amlodipine besylate. 7:00am 

Lipitor cholesterol 40mgsam

On 1/11/2020 at 12:27 AM, Shep said:

How quickly did you come off Fluvoxamine in the past? Keep in mind that withdrawal, especially from a cold turkey or rapid taper (faster than 10% reductions a month) create many of the symptoms that doctors call "depression" and "anxiety," when really, it's withdrawal symptoms CAUSED by the drug and the way it changes the brain. Please see this link for resources that list the possible symptoms of withdrawal (which many doctors mistake for a "return of the original illness"): 

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Please also see:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

There is no underlying chemical imbalance, if that's the reason you wish to stay on an antidepressant. Please see: 

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

You may also want to read Robert Whitaker's book, which comes highly recommended here:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

A short video book trailer by the author:

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video (11 minutes)

Let's figure out this part first because you're basing how you wish to taper on information that may not be accurate. Please do some research before removing a "brake" before an "accelerator" (as explained in the "Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?" link I posted earlier in your thread). Right now, you're sleeping 8 hours a night and that may not be possible without the "brake." 

Also, let's take a look at these recent propranolol changes (quoted from your signature):

Please note it takes about 4 days for the nervous system to register a change and a week or longer for your brain/body to adjust to the change. So this likely will take awhile for your nervous system to sort out. 

Thank you for starting your drug and symptoms journal. Does your symptom severity get better or worse as the day progresses? 

Hi Shep, I haven’t continued with my symptoms journal but what I have noticed is that come arvo.lunch time and into the evening my symptoms tend to ramp up. 

I am nearly off the propanalol and haven’t really noticed much change. 

I am not on the slow release formulation, I take 100mg of the normal Luvox in the evening only (is this common?)so you could be onto something that I could be getting withdrawal type symptoms as the day goes on???

13 hours ago, will351 said:

Ally how are you doing on the fluvoxamine.

I am taking the normal formulation at 100mg once a day in the evening. I am still experiencing odd physical sensations, brain/body shivers but investigating if it’s because I’m not taking the slow release formulation that my body is going into withdrawal each day.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Alli said:

Hi Shep, I haven’t continued with my symptoms journal but what I have noticed is that come arvo.lunch time and into the evening my symptoms tend to ramp up. 

I am nearly off the propanalol and haven’t really noticed much change. 

According to your signature, you just increased the morning propranolol on January 8. And now you're almost off? 

How fast are you tapering? 

5 hours ago, Alli said:

I am taking the normal formulation at 100mg once a day in the evening. I am still experiencing odd physical sensations, brain/body shivers but investigating if it’s because I’m not taking the slow release formulation that my body is going into withdrawal each day.

I don't know. When do you feel like you're going into withdrawal?

If you wish to have more detailed advice, please continue with a daily drug and symptoms journal. Otherwise, the general advice is to taper the most stimulating drug first, which is usually the SSRI, and the sedating drug. When reducing, taper no faster than 10% of the last month's reduction and remember to hold.  Please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Please update your signature to reflect your propranolol reductions. A direct link to your signature is here:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature