Djon: One 50 mg pill of Sertraline has ruined my life

djon

Was administered Sertraline due to a medium depression (in hindsight probably just because I'm overloaded with work and a newborn baby).

Took the first pill at night and 6 hours later I awoke with a shock and since then I haven't been able to fall asleep without help.

The first 12 days I had no sleep at all. I called my doctor, being more and more frustrated. At first she told me to get some over the counter anti-histamines that did nothing. After that I went to the ER in the weekend and they prescribed some melatonin. Did nothing either. The my doctor prescribed Zopiclone. At this point I hadn't slept in over a week, so I was so messed up that Zopiclone didn't work either. I was by this time a complete crying mess and again called the doctor. This time she gave me Prometazin and told me to take everything at the same time. So that night, I took 7.5 mg Zopiclone, 50 mg Prometazin and 2 mg melatonin. BAM. I slept for 14 hours that night and the following night.

After this I have experimented with how little I need to take. Currently I take 3,75 mg Zopiclone and 25 mg Prometazin and it works for sleeping. I'm tired and dizzy all day though. Sometimes I try not taking anything but I'm awake all night then and a complete depressed mess the day after.

So, currently I'm in week 5 after taking that one damn pill and am just waiting for the tinnitus and lack of sleep to go away so I can go back to just being my good old semi-depressed self. SSRI's are a major no-go for me now! I must somehow be extremely sensitive to it.

I take long walks and listen to specially made sleep sounds/music but nothing works. I simply cannot fall asleep by myself at all. No alcohol or caffeine.

Are the others out there who have had similar experiences with only taking Sertraline for a short time and reacting the same way as I do? It's rather depressing that it's now been more than four weeks without any improvement at all and I'm getting worried for how long I can get Zopiclone and when they will stop working or whether I will get addicted to them. 

October 31st 2019: Took ONE 50 mg Sertraline

Woke up with a shock that following night and have had tinnitus and been completely unable to fall a sleep on my own since.

Use Zopiclone combined with Prometazin to sleep. 

Oh and my doc wants to switch me to mirtazapine as that should help with sleep. I'm just convinced that my brain REALLY doesn't like to be messed with, since one pill could do so much harm, so I have refused it so far. But if sleeping doesn't improve, I really don't know what to do.

Woke up with a shock that following night and have had tinnitus and been completely unable to fall a sleep on my own since.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, djon.

Very sorry you're going through this. Thank you for joining us.

You had an adverse reaction to the sertraline.   As Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, has written, an adverse reaction is acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard. Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos.  All it takes is one dose.  As you said,  your brain really doesn't like to be messed with.  You will heal.  Unfortunately, we can't tell you how long it will take.

You need to be aware that zopiclone causes dependency and should be used only for short-term use, perhaps two weeks.  If you stop it should be tapered rather than cold-turkeyed.  Here is information about tapering zopiclone.

Tips for tapering off Z drugs for sleep (Ambien, Imovane, Sonata, Lunesta, Intermezzo, etc.) 

Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, seehttp://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/ 

Magnesium might help your sleep, too. Low magnesium is something that doesn't show up in blood tests.

Here are some non-drug techniques that could help with sleep.

ips to help sleep - so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Trick and tips to fall asleep faster

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Damn... I am really sorry about your insomnia. I took Sertraline 0.25mg for a month and I also took olanzapine at the same time but for longer and when I quit both I couldn't sleep at all. For me situation is hardly improving (even after reinstating olanzapine) but I am sure you will get better since you only took one pill. 

Insomnia is really tough thing to deal with so you have sympathies from a guy who barely slept since early november.

Stay strong!

2015 - Elicea for 2 months, quit cold turkey, survived withdrawal (brain zaps, severe depression)

2018 - april to july, Xanax, quit cold turkey, no serious withdrawal symptoms

2018 - august to late december, Mirtazapine, psychiatrist got me off it cold turkey

2019 - january to april, Seroxat, again stopped cold turkey, developed double vision if looking at close screens etc.

2019 - june to 13th november, Zyprexa (2.5mg-10mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking it

2019 - middle october to november 13th, Zoloft (0.6mg-25mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking

Horrible withdrawal with severe insomnia afterwards, not feeling hungry or sleepy, never tired, stomach problems, nausea...

24th november - reinstated 2.5mg zyprexa

3rd december - 5mg zyprexa

new symptoms - glare, halos around lights, muscle twitching worse, eyelid and cheek twitching every 5-10 minutes

11th january 2020 - 4.3mg zyprexa 

Late 2020 (gradually finished the taper back then) to present - meds free. No improvements regarding sleep. Developed dry eyes because lack of it. Only positive change is that I do feel sleepy now but sleep is the same, broken and not good.

Thanks for your replies. Insomnia really is the worst thing I have ever had to happen to me. True torture. I know Zopiclone use can bring me into a world of new problems, but right now it's the best drug ever invented as it stops my insomnia. I can only hope I can sleep on my own before Zopiclone does something bad to me.

I used valerian and passiflora for insomnia

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante