Alexandria13: Lexapro Cold Turkey

Alexandria13

Original Title:  Lexapro 2 days

I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct forum or not but here goes. 

I started 5mg of lexapro yesterday and had horrible side effects. I was told these are common and will pass. Took my second dose today and awoke from a nap feeling like I didnt know who I was or where I was at. This in turn made me panic. I called my doctor and I am never taking another pill. Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do. I seem to be calming down. I just want to know how long this is going to take to feel back to normal. 

Edited by manymoretodays
New title, old title added post

June 24, 2021 -> present clonazepam 1mg daily. 

xanax as needed for about 3 months in 2020.

On other meds in the past but not for more than a week due to side effects

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Alexandria13.  This is the right place for your post.

You experienced an adverse reaction to the Lexapro.  An adverse reaction is an immediate and powerful negative response to a drug.  Adverse reactions to antidepressants are not uncommon.  Many people just cannot tolerate psychiatric drugs, and their central nervous system delivers the message in no uncertain terms.  IT's very good that you stopped when you did.

You will recover, but unfortunately no one can predict how long it will take.  It's encouraging that you seem to be calming down.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (magnesium glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you so much. This is one of multiple antidepressants I have tried in the last 10 years. All of which I just can't handle. Thank you for your insight. I called my psychiatrist and she recommended to keep taking it just cut the dose in half. I'm not so sure I want this in my body at all. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Alexandria13 said:

I called my psychiatrist and she recommended to keep taking it just cut the dose in half. I'm not so sure I want this in my body at all. 

If you experienced an extreme negative reaction to the Lexapro, our advice would be not to continue the drug.  The fact that you have tried several antidepressants over the years, none of which you can handle, indicates that these drugs are bad for you.  Your body is trying to tell you something.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Alexandria13: Lexapro 2 days
  • 1 month later...

Titled: Severe Fatigue, headaches, GI issues

I need some advice. My psychiatrist said that being on only 5mg of Lexapro for 6 months, I will be able to just stop taking it. I stopped June 11th. I was fine up until a couple days ago. Now I'm having severe fatigue, GI upset, headaches, anxiety. Im at a loss. I have two children and a supportive husband but I feel like I'm dying. What can I do!? How long is this going to last? I'm very upset that I just quit without tapering but I listened to my doctor. 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged from symptoms and self care

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alexandria13 and welcome back, @Alexandria13,

I found your most recent post in the symptoms and self care forum and merged it back here, to your introduction.  Very helpful, as it keeps your information all together.

And so......I see you continued with 5 mg of Lexapro, until 2 weeks ago(a total of 6 months), and have been on and off AD(antidepressant) drugs for 10 years.

When feasible, please do a signature for us, best done from a PC:  Please summarize your withdrawal history in your signature

......AND, quite likely you ARE experiencing WD(withdrawal) right now.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What is withdrawal syndrome?

I think if I were you, I would consider reinstating now.  Not the whole 5 mg dose of Lexapro, but a smaller dose.  Please take a good read through the below, as it explains much more about this:

* About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal syndrome

I'm thinking 1 mg to 2.5 mg might be best for a trial of reinstatement.  You are in a good time frame to try one, a reinstatement.......just 2 weeks out now.  If it helps, then usual practice is to stay put, for several months, and then resuming a taper in a more cautious way.

Do you have any Lexapro available right now?  And if so, what form? 

You'll also find information in this link below, to help you get a smaller dose than 5 mg going:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro(escitalopram)

Let us know what you decide.  Thank you.  ❤️

And okay, all from me for now.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 1 year later...

Switching meds

My psychiatrist is switching me from Clonazepam 1mg daily, to Prestiq 25mg and Ativan 1.5mg daily. I'm terrified of meds and switching makes me so nervous, but I absolutely hate the clonazepam. It makes me feel awful, detached and foggy.

My end goal is to just be on the antidepressant for a short time (until I heal) and them be off all of it all together. I need some hope and inspiration. I don't have many people to talk to about this that understand. Psychiatrist said switching won't cause me withdrawal. I have a hard time trusting doctors. Any input would be so helpful. 

Edited by Shep
added title after moving from another Intro thread.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Alexandria13Please note I moved your latest post from the new Intro you started and placed it here in your original thread. Please continue posting here in this same introduction thread. This will keep your information in one place.  

From your first post in 2019, it looked like you were having an adverse reaction to Lexapro and the advice was to stop taking it. You posted again in June 2020 that you had now been on this drug for 6 months. And now a year later, you're back with even more drugs. 

Please note we're a site for tapering off psychiatric drugs. We cannot help you set up a new drug cocktail. The way to get off these drugs is to slowly taper one drug at a time. You'll likely want to come off the antidepressant before the benzo in order to preserve your sleep. But without knowing more about your history with benzos, we can't give you any specific advice. If your goal really is to be off these drugs altogether and you wish to have tapering advice, we need a drug signature so we have your complete history. 

How to List Drug History in Signature

A direct link to your signature is here:

Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"

Please continue posting in this thread. 

I understand. I'm trying to figure all this out. Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Alexandria13Please post any questions you have here and we can help you sort through it a step at a time. 

If you're not able to set up a signature, you can post your drug history in a regular post and I can move it to your signature. That will be the first step.  One step at a time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Shep. So I haven't been on the lexapro. Stopped in 2020.

Right now I'm on clonazepam 1mg daily.  Started 6/24/21. That's all I take. I want off of it but I'm terrified. I graduate college September 22nd and plan to taper after graduation. I have been on other meds in the past but not for more than a week due to side effects. I took xanax as needed for about 3 months in 2020. I'm not sure how you wanted all this information, so sorry if I'm confusing... 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Alexandria13Thanks for the additional information. I placed it in your signature. 

It depends on what the other meds were in the past and how consecutively you took them to know whether you're dealing with withdrawal from those. If, for example, you took multiple SSRIs for more than a month, you may be dealing with SSRI discontinuation, even if you didn't take the same one for the month. 

Also, you may be dealing with a reinstatement of a benzo that didn't work since you came off Xanax in 2020 and then reinstated in June 2021. Benzo reinstatements work best within 2 - 4 weeks of stopping. 

The more you can let us know about your drug history, the more we can help you. From what you've told us so far, you may want to simply hold and not taper right now.  If the clonazepam is helping you sleep, you may want to stick with that every day until after your graduation and then you can concentrate on your withdrawal.