SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TomA: New member coming off Zoloft

TomA

I have been on Zoloft, Klonopin, Xanax and Ambien for nearly 10 years. My GP doc wants me to get off of something, so he chose Ambien. This gave me the bright idea to discontinue Zoloft and Klonopin on my own. I think I broke every rule that I have read here for getting off pysc drugs. I started by doing a few Zoloft "holidays" in a row. When WD symptoms got bad, I would either dose normally for a day or two or reduce dose. My normal dosage is 100mg/day. 

The back history: I have suffered social anxiety for most of my life. About 10 years ago, I decided to try some relief with my GP doc (same guy). He prescribed Citalipram 25mg (maybe, I don't recall the exact dosage). Well, that was my 1st step into hell. I reacted very poorly after a week on it, although I was told there were NO SIDE EFFECTS. I experienced full blown, "I'm gonna die" panic attacks for the first time in my life. The GP increased dosage. Well, that wasn't going to work, but he and I tried. He finally referred me out to a Psychiatrist. She specialized in adult ADD and anxiety. She slowly introduced Zoloft and benzos to get me through. She had more understanding than most MD's how to get onto these drugs without the nasty side effects. Mind you, the Citalipram made a new anxiety marker in my brain. For those of you that experience anxiety attacks, you know what I mean. Once it happens, it now has a new place to go, so I had a new battle to fight. After a year or more, she had me on 200mg of Zoloft and the max dosage of benzos she was comfortable with. She also had me on Mirtazapine and Ambien. I was sorta zombie-ish, although my anxiety was immensely reduced and I was able to function.  After a year or two of this, I decided to stop the Mirtazapine and reduce the Zoloft and benzos. I basically cut the Zoloft and Klonopin dosages in half. I had no issues to speak of and I felt pretty good after a stabilization period. This all seemed to be a pretty good baseline for me. I now felt somewhat normal and had little to no panic issues. 

So here I am after 2-3 weeks of random dosing and now about 2 weeks of no Zoloft or Klonopin. In the evening, I have been doing my usual xanax (.5mg I believe) and Ambien. The doc stopped my Ambien script, so I am doing half pills of 5mg. I am definitely experiencing WD symptoms from the Zoloft. The worst are the brain zingers. All in all, it is tolerable. NOTHING like some of what I have read on here, thank God! I considered reinstituting  small amounts of Zoloft, but I do not want to cause more problems. At this point, I am thinking of just toughing it out with the assistance of my benzos. 

Just so nobody throws up the benzo red flag, I have never abused them and have never increased dosage off script. Exactly how dependent I am will be determined at a later date, after all of this SSRI WD is over. I am hoping it to be a reasonable time since I am not having "severe" symptoms. I do have more energy and feel good. The brain zaps, having to search for words and lower threshold for stress are the worst of the WD symptoms. As long as they continue to get better, I am okay with this.

If anybody sees something here that I should be aware of or do something differently, please let me know. It is an absolute shame that there is more solid info here than in the medical community. They really should listen to patient groups and catch up on what these drugs really do. I feel terrible for those of you that experience severe symptoms from these drugs. 

Be well all!

Edited by Shep
added username to title

Citalopram - 25mg for 3-4 weeks in mid 2010. Stopped.

Zoloft (Name Brand - DAW) 100mg daily since 2010. Random dosing (1/2 or full dose) 3-4 times week since early Nov. 2019. Stopped on Nov. 21, 2019.

Klonopin (Name Brand - DAW) .5mg daily since 2010. Random dosing (full dose) 1-2 times week since early Nov. 2019. Stopped on Nov. 21, 2019.

Simvistatin - 10mg daily since 2006. Stopped early Nov. 2019

Mirtazipine - 2010 Stopped 2012

Zolpidem - 10mg daily since 2010. Doctor discontinued script. Tapered to 5mg Dec. 1, 2019, then .25mg Dec. 4, 2019.

Xanax (Name Brand - DAW) .5mg daily since 2010. Evening dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Tom.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA). 

On 12/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, TomA said:

So here I am after 2-3 weeks of random dosing and now about 2 weeks of no Zoloft or Klonopin. In the evening, I have been doing my usual xanax (.5mg I believe) and Ambien. The doc stopped my Ambien script, so I am doing half pills of 5mg.

Please give us more information about how you reduced each of these drugs and how much you were taking when you stopped. 

Please note that benzos have a limited reinstatement period - it's best to reinstate within 2 - 4 weeks of coming off. It's possible that the Xanax may be covering the Klonopin withdrawal, so you may be fine, but I did want to bring this to your attention, since you are within that timeframe for a safe reinstatement. 

On 12/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, TomA said:

I am definitely experiencing WD symptoms from the Zoloft. The worst are the brain zingers. All in all, it is tolerable. NOTHING like some of what I have read on here, thank God! I considered reinstituting  small amounts of Zoloft, but I do not want to cause more problems. At this point, I am thinking of just toughing it out with the assistance of my benzos. 

I'm glad to read you're not having severe symptoms, however, antidepressants carry the risk of a delayed withdrawal. Many people don't feel withdrawal into several months after coming off an SSRI, so I'm going to leave you with some information to read over. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What dose did you discontinue the Zoloft at? Please don't reinstate just yet. Let's get some more information first and then you can decide if reinstatement is the right path forward for you.

You may also want to read the thread on brain zaps. 

Brain zaps

As Altostrata, the founder of SA writes in that thread: 

On 5/7/2011 at 3:49 PM, Altostrata said:

Some people endure brain zaps for months; they tend to gradually decrease. I had them for 6 months in acute withdrawal and have not been troubled by them since. (My belief is they are not trivial and you should not put your brain through them if you can avoid it by slow tapering.)

Here is some information on withdrawal that may be helpful: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

You may find some helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in reinstating and provide other information, as well. 

Thank you for the response Shep! I have added dosages in my signature.

I am still feeling very good. The brain zaps have decreased and are more of a dull or blunt sensation vs. an acute zap. 

My Zolpidem will run out at the end of Dec. 2019. I will continue .5mg Xanax until I am sure I am out of the woods with the SSRI WD and I can sleep well. I am unsure how this will play out, especially after being educated by this wonderful forum. But, I still plan to push through this unless something gets worse. Right now, my anxiety is in check and I have no depression. I was being treated for the anxiety and not depression, so that is the one I am watching. My wife is supportive and trying to help me avoid high stress. I actually blame much of my anxiety on the experimental high dosage SSRI's that the doctors put me on years ago. I have never experienced a severe panic attack such as the ones when starting Citalopram. At least the referred psychiatrist had a basic understanding of tapering on as well as off. 

My goal is to get off of these chemicals and stick with healthy eating, exercise and supplements.

Again, this forum amazes me with the depth of REAL knowledge from experience on a subject that the medical community is mostly, if not completely, ignorant of.  

Zoloft (Name Brand - DAW) 100mg daily since 2010. Random dosing (1/2 or full dose) 3-4 times week since early Nov. 2019. Stopped on Nov. 21, 2019.

Klonopin (Name Brand - DAW) .5mg daily since 2010. Random dosing (full dose) 1-2 times week since early Nov. 2019. Stopped on Nov. 21, 2019.

Zolpidem - 10mg daily since 2010. Doctor discontinued script. Tapered to 5mg Dec. 1, 2019, then .25mg Dec. 4, 2019.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, TomA said:

The brain zaps have decreased and are more of a dull or blunt sensation vs. an acute zap. 

When did the brain zaps start?

10 hours ago, TomA said:

But, I still plan to push through this unless something gets worse.

If I were you, I would not "push through" any amount of withdrawal symptoms. More drug changes can make them much worse than a return of anxiety or depression.

Your history includes a lot of going on and off drugs, with recent changes. This can make your nervous system vulnerable to adverse reactions. I'd leave well enough alone and let your nervous system settle down before more tapering. Please be safe, don't take chances.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

46 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

When did the brain zaps start?

They started approximately 2-3 days after discontinuing Zoloft, so around Nov. 23-ish.

46 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I would not "push through" any amount of withdrawal symptoms. More drug changes can make them much worse than a return of anxiety or depression.

Your history includes a lot of going on and off drugs, with recent changes. This can make your nervous system vulnerable to adverse reactions. I'd leave well enough alone and let your nervous system settle down before more tapering. Please be safe, don't take chances.

Right now, I am holding my own and don't plan to reintroduce anything. I will stay on Zolpidem until I run out at the end of the month. I will continue Xanax for a while after that, until I can sleep without it. My GP does not know I am doing this, so if I have any issues with sleep, he will probably reinstate Zolpidem for me. I really, really do not want to reintroduce Zoloft unless I have to.

• Administrator

Withdrawal symptoms, such as zaps, indicate your nervous system is already stressed from drug changes. It's good that the zaps are going away, but your nervous system is still bruised.

You also just reduced zolpidem from 5mg to 0.25mg a few days ago.

You may have been lucky to get off Zoloft and Klonopin as you did, please be careful, don't make mistakes out of overconfidence.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your thoughts and I completely understand what you are saying. 

Since Xanax and Klonopin are both benzo's, I think the Xanax that I am taking is preventing negatives from discontinuing Klonopin. My plan B, if needed, is to go back on Klonopin and Zolpidem. The Zoloft is really my main focus of discontinuation. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/7/2019 at 10:32 AM, TomA said:

My goal is to get off of these chemicals and stick with healthy eating, exercise and supplements.

This is truly a worthwhile goal. 

Please list the supplements you are currently taking, as there are some that can cause problems for folks going through withdrawal. 

19 hours ago, TomA said:

Since Xanax and Klonopin are both benzo's, I think the Xanax that I am taking is preventing negatives from discontinuing Klonopin. My plan B, if needed, is to go back on Klonopin and Zolpidem. The Zoloft is really my main focus of discontinuation. 

I agree that Xanax is likely masking the Klonopin withdrawal. And since you mention only taking Klonopin 1-2 times per week (from your signature), it's possible you didn't become dependent on it. So you may do very well off it. 

Are you able to get a script for the Zolpidem or has your doctor cut you off? It might be good to extend your taper out, should you experience upticks in insomnia. 

The problem with your plan B (going back on Klonopin and Zolpidem) is the possibility of kindling:

KINDLING - What is the kindling phenomenon that occurs with benzodiazepines?

What time(s) of the day do you take Xanax and Zolpidem? Are you taking any other drugs? 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Please list the supplements you are currently taking, as there are some that can cause problems for folks going through withdrawal. 

I take a multi vitamin, CoQ10, Zinc, D3, Tumeric and started Magnesium recently.

I agree that Xanax is likely masking the Klonopin withdrawal. And since you mention only taking Klonopin 1-2 times per week (from your signature), it's possible you didn't become dependent on it. So you may do very well off it. 

I was taking .5mg daily of Klonopin. I updated my signature to make it more clear.

Are you able to get a script for the Zolpidem or has your doctor cut you off? It might be good to extend your taper out, should you experience upticks in insomnia. 

Doc cut me off, but I am sure he will write a new script if I ask. He did not like the long list of drugs that I have been on and wanted me to stop something, so he chose Zolpidem. He initially wanted me to try to wean off of Zoloft and Klonopin, but I was resistant knowing it would not be easy. Once he knows I canceled all of my scripts, I think he will be fine with it.

The problem with your plan B (going back on Klonopin and Zolpidem) is the possibility of kindling:

KINDLING - What is the kindling phenomenon that occurs with benzodiazepines?

Kindling...CRAP! I hadn't heard of that. I have not completely discontinued benzo's since I started taking them 10 years ago. Hopefully that won't be an issue, but none-the-less, I will stay keen to it. 

What time(s) of the day do you take Xanax and Zolpidem? Are you taking any other drugs? 

I take them usually between 8-9pm in the evening. This helps prevent laying in bed waiting for them to help me sleep. No other drugs at all. 

I am feeling a little better every day. Still some zaps, but they seem to be lessening. I definitely have more energy and ambition. My wife says I am mentally sharper than before and I can actually feel it as well. I can feel my senses rising both good and possibly bad. This is how I was pre-drugs. I will probably always carry Xanax in my pocket just in case. Just knowing that I have it should also help stave off high anxiety. I have some meetings and probably an important lunch meeting this week. These are the situations that led me to pursuing prescriptions, so hopefully they will go well. I am a much more confident person that I was 10 years ago, but anxiety is a fickle boogie man. Fingers crossed.

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, TomA said:

I take a multi vitamin, CoQ10, Zinc, D3, Tumeric and started Magnesium recently.

You may be fine with these since you started on them while you had a strong nervous system and are doing well now. But just in case, here is some information you may wish to read:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Scroll down and you'll see a list of supplements. Some people find B vitamins (found in a lot of multi-vitamins) and vitamin D to be stimulating, but if you're taking them in the morning, they may not affect your sleep. As you come off the sleep drugs, you may find you need to reduce or eliminate them and eat foods high in these vitamins and take a daily walk in the sun for vitamin D. Just some information to have as you continue your journey off these drugs. 

9 hours ago, TomA said:

I was taking .5mg daily of Klonopin. I updated my signature to make it more clear.

Thanks for this information. Because of this, you may want to consider a micro-taper to come off Xanax. There's no rush to start this taper and I'd recommend holding for a long time due to the rapid reductions of the antidepressant and Klonopin, but I'll go ahead and place some links here so you have the information:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

9 hours ago, TomA said:

Doc cut me off, but I am sure he will write a new script if I ask. He did not like the long list of drugs that I have been on and wanted me to stop something, so he chose Zolpidem. He initially wanted me to try to wean off of Zoloft and Klonopin, but I was resistant knowing it would not be easy. Once he knows I canceled all of my scripts, I think he will be fine with it.

If possible, I would go with a 10% OR LESS per month reduction (taken off the previous dose, not the initially prescribed dose). 

It's a rare find to see someone come into this forum as stable as you are. I would really urge caution going forward so you can maintain this stability. The SSRI / benzo combo can be very difficult to safely discontinue and since you don't know yet how hard you may or may not be hit with Zoloft withdrawal due to delayed withdrawal (many people don't feel withdrawal from SSRIs for several months), I would advise going slowly and cautiously. 

9 hours ago, TomA said:

Kindling...CRAP! I hadn't heard of that. I have not completely discontinued benzo's since I started taking them 10 years ago. Hopefully that won't be an issue, but none-the-less, I will stay keen to it. 

Yes, please go slowly and carefully. Again, the SSRI / benzo combo is a difficult mix, so if you can keep your nervous system strong by not taxing it with any more abrupt changes, you may do very well all the way to the finish line. 

9 hours ago, TomA said:

I am feeling a little better every day. Still some zaps, but they seem to be lessening. I definitely have more energy and ambition. My wife says I am mentally sharper than before and I can actually feel it as well. I can feel my senses rising both good and possibly bad. This is how I was pre-drugs.

This is excellent, Tom.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:34 AM, TomA said:

The Zoloft is really my main focus of discontinuation. 

Since Zoloft is your main focus, what do you think about waiting a good 6 months before tapering the Zolpidem and Klonopin? This will give you time to see if you get Zoloft withdrawal or not.

The problem with going on with the taper is you won't know if you are dealing with benzo withdrawal or being hit with delayed withdrawal from the Zoloft. The more variables you can remove, the better. 

Since you're so functional right now, I would hate for you to end up with a damaged nervous system because you rushed this.

Please post your thoughts. 

Thank you for the additional information. 

I think you are right with doing too much at once. When I do experience physical feelings that do not seem normal to me, I really have no idea which med or meds is causing it. 

I took .5mg of Klonopin today and will conitnue the benzo's until I am sure that the SSRI WD is over, 1 month, 2 months, 6 months or whenever I feel normal for an extended period of time.  Then I will taper Zolpidem. Then, I will taper the Klonopin. Finally, I will taper the Xanax. After learning what I have here, this is a much better idea than what I was doing. I will stick with complete discontinuation of the Zoloft as long as it goes well.

I will put a call into my doc to let him know what I am doing and get the Zolpidem reinstated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tom, I'm glad you're going to hold for a long time and let any Zoloft withdrawal play itself out before discontinuing the other drugs.

But I do want to touch base on the doses you'll be taking for the Zolpidem and the Klonopin. Benzos and z-drugs work best for updosing to an amount you were previously in within the past month. Please keep this in mind as you make any changes. 

I noticed you also recently stopped Simvastatin.  We have various threads where statins are discussed and many people decide they'd rather go with a better diet and exercise, so I applaud for this. You may be interested in Jemima's story. She was an admin here for a long time and wrote a success story that included a discussion on her statin experience: 

Success: Jemima Survives Lexapro and Doctor, Too

For some people, statins can cause depression and anxiety, so the fact that you were taking a statin prior to psych drugs may mean that some of what were diagnosed psychiatric issues may have been from the statin. It's hard to parse through what came from what with these drugs. 

Here is a thread with members discussing statins:

Are statin drugs for reducing cholesterol really a good idea?

You may find more threads by using the search feature or googling "survivingantidepressants.org" + "statins" or "cholesterol"