mstimc: hello from an SRI vet

mstimc

• Mentor

Hi @Vonnegutjunky.  I'm so glad my story could help!  The thing I've come to accept about my OCD is that it may never go away, as in fully disappear, just as many chronic conditions don't fade away.  But OCD can be managed and kept in its proper place, way in the background of my thoughts and actions.  I used ERP as well, plus some great CBT tools, along with a stellar therapist who taught me how to use them.  The thing about meds is they can mask the symptoms and physical aspects of depression and anxiety, but they can't change our thinking habits.  Accepting OCD as just thoughts with no more power than we give them sounds so simple, but its hard to put into practice.  Be patient and forgiving with yourself and healing will come.

One book I recommend is "Everyday Mindfulness for OCD" by Hirschfield and Nicely.  You can find it on Amazon.  It integrates mindfulness habits with ERP.  And the writing is very approachable--not too much theory and its not quite as grim as some other self-help books I've read.

You really can do this! 

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

• 5 months later...

Hello @mstimc,

After reading your wise words in many threads around this website, I've read yours.

What a fantastic story! You have really come far and are an example and hope for many of us. I relate a lot with the health anxiety,I suffer it, too, and I am trying to learn to live with it. It is tough and some days I still have this inner panic that doesnt allow me to do anything else but to think about it. Like I will die in the spot. Honestly, the current situation in the world doesnt help, but I think that I am making steps little by little to manage it. 

I hope your move back to the US was smooth. I really want to move to Portugal when I retire, it is my favourite place in the world😄

I send you a hug.

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

• Mentor

Thank you for your kind words, @almuPA.  Health anxiety can be overwhelming but it can be managed.  One thing I've found to be very helpful is to avoid doing my own "research" on the Internet if I think I'm having symptoms of something serious.  Usually, the initial search will result in the worst possible disease or ailment, when its almost always something far more common and simple.  I've done my share of "panic searching" for ailments and I've been wring 100% of the time.  What I've also found is when my doctor told me about the relatively harmless condition I had, I searched on that and found its a lot more common than the exotic thing I think I had.  I also try to remember serious conditions rarely manifest in one or two symptoms--if you're seriously ill, a lot of things are going wrong all at once.  I've found doing some reality checking is the best way to manage health anxiety.

Thank you again and take care!

Tim C

@mstimc I find your post to be very encouraging. Being a “cyberchondriac” is part of what got me into this mess in the first place and I also have been 100% wrong every single time about what I thought I had based on what google said. I have cut myself off from all research when it comes to symptoms. If something persists long enough, I will bring it up with the doctor and trust their findings, which I know is really hard especially in withdrawal. Symptoms are appearing, disappearing and reappearing constantly, and it can really put me on edge. Even though I hate seeing someone else go through it, it’s nice to know I’m not alone.

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

• Mentor

@SandCastle, anxiety can cause a whole host of problems by itself and make existing ones worse. I have a totally unscientific theory that anxiety finds your weakest point and exploits it.  Several years ago, I broke my 11th rib on my right side.  When I'm stressed, my right side hurts.  Of curse, any abdominal pain is an anxiety trigger.  I did have it checked and confirmed there's nothing seriously wrong.  When I went for my annual physical a few weeks ago, my doctor said that particular rib is infamous for causing pain after a fracture, even if it heals properly. You are so right--once you confirm its not serious, let it go, and it seems to magically fade away on its own!

Tim C

• Moderator Emeritus

@mstimc, I have missed the boat  and I just realized that you are back on the other side of the Atlantic!

How is the return journey going? I hope everything is ok on your side.
Thanks for being a real encourager here, your advice is always so valuable!

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Erell said:

@mstimc, I have missed the boat  and I just realized that you are back on the other side of the Atlantic!

How is the return journey going? I hope everything is ok on your side.
Thanks for being a real encourager here, your advice is always so valuable!

Thank you so much for thinking of me, Erell!  Our return to the US went very smoothly despite COVIDD.  Seeing our friends and family after more than two years was wonderful. We are busy working on our house, making repairs and getting it the way we want it to look.  It is certainly different than Portugal and Europe, but it is home.

How are you doing, my friend?  I think of you daily and I am sending you positive and supportive thoughts from across the sea!

Tim C

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, mstimc said:

It is certainly different than Portugal and Europe, but it is home.

I can feel the sensation of coming back home reading you, when you put down your stuff and sit down with a sigh of ease :)

Being able to reunite with your family must be very sweet and good.

What changes, I have no doubt that changing environment and living place must require a time of readjustment.
And, if I remember correctly, you went straight from a busy trip to Europe!

What amazing memories you will be able to savor for a long time: I hope that our old continent will have brought you much joy and beauty !

I think I've only been to Nazaré, but since I've met you, I've added Portugal to the list of things I want to discover and feel :)

Thank you for making us travel with you!

Sending you friendly thoughts 🌼

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Mentor
6 hours ago, Erell said:

What changes, I have no doubt that changing environment and living place must require a time of readjustment.
And, if I remember correctly, you went straight from a busy trip to Europe!

Yes, before returning to the States, we visited Berlin, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Bruges, Paris, London, York, Edinburgh, and Dublin.  When we returned to the US, we stayed with friends for a few days and then moved into our house in Los Angeles.  Its taking a lot of work to fix up, but its a labor of love because it belonged to a beloved cousin of mine for many years.  Restoring it is a way of honoring her.

It is funny, I thought there would be a long period of adjustment, but as we were driving out of the airport, I felt like I was just there, even though it had been 27 months since we left.

Tim C

• 5 months later...

@mstimc

Hello,

Thank you so much for your calming presence here and all your valuable contributions!

I've been enjoying your posts since I first joined. High time I stopped by to introduce myself and express my appreciation. 

Thank you <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• Mentor

Thank you so much, Ariel!  I do think its important to share my experiences, especially with those who are struggling and don't think they'll ever improve.  No matter how bad things are at the moment, anyone can recover.  And I admire your willingness to step in and help other members, too!

Tim C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, @mstimcI finally came to read your thread.  Congratulations for getting off of Paxil!  That's a tough one to get off for many people.  I was on that many years ago, before I was switched to Lexapro.  Thanks for all the support you give people here. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello @mstimc

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the support you spread here and for your genesority when you agree to share your experience.
As you probably know, reading the words of those who has traveled before us is a great comfort, and a welcome reminder that people do recover and move on with their lives.

Yet, you still take time to share your thoughts during this new stage of your life, so thank you ❤️ 

Current medication :

• Mentor
5 hours ago, Erell said:

Hello @mstimc

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the support you spread here and for your genesority when you agree to share your experience.
As you probably know, reading the words of those who has traveled before us is a great comfort, and a welcome reminder that people do recover and move on with their lives.

Yet, you still take time to share your thoughts during this new stage of your life, so thank you ❤️ 

Bonjour mon ami

Thank you for thinking of me, Erell.  This is a long and difficult path for so many of us, I think its important to share our experiences.  Recovery is possible no matter how bad things may seem at any given moment, and no matter how long the journey may take.  I know, with your perseverance and positive attitude, you will recover, and serve as a beacon for others.  Take care!

Tim C