Icip: Has anyone with these symptoms had them improve, or completely go away?

Icip

Hello all,

I’ve spent the past few months wallowing deeper and deeper into a state of lunacy, doing some rather questionable things out of desperation, and confusion on my part. As has been mentioned above, and suggested to me, because of anxiety - which now I’m in a better position, and feeling rather relaxed; it was causal.

I’ve noticed I’m so much more sensitive to the semantic effects of anxiety, any little bug sends me into a lightheaded, baseless, and sorry state, which i can only escape after finding my ground, or stability again. I had this to an extent pre-reaction, suffering mania when something causes instability, this just feels a little more extreme, whether that’s worsened due to my circumstances worsening, or because I’m just so sensitive to everything. I’m looking forward for the economy opening up, so i can seek therapy to talk through the past year n a bit of my life. My past relationship was abusive + went on through the worst of my reaction, and beyond. I’m at a crossroads now, with a lot of trauma on my plate, increased sensitivity, and my ongoing eyesight problems.

Not yet, but in the future, I’m open to trying anticonvulsants to see if they benefit my eyesight at all - it will hopefully help me to gage whether the HPPD/Visual Snow Syndrome is damage, or a dysregulation of my thalamus. If the latter, medication should help. The static doesn’t bother me, just the residual disconnect i feel from the world around me, and people who I’d otherwise wish not to feel so numb around. My ex girlfriend was born with Visual Snow Syndrome, i was the one that told her of it, after she said that she sees static too, claiming it to be normal. She would complain of feeling stuck in a bubble, and disconnected - it really does feel like I’ve inherited all of her problems, despite giving myself my vision.

I feel good, scared, unsure, but confident in my future again, and confident by myself. I’m looking forward to the future. I think I’ve healed from my reaction, other than the static which alone causes a lot of cognitive issues.

I’ll keep posting in relation to my Visual Snow Syndrome, as there are very few instances of people claiming recovery on here, or really at all over the internet. Only a few crumbs of hope. But in the meantime, thank you to everyone who has supported me through this past year; it’s been hard, but far from the worst year of my life - I’ve learned a lot about myself, and learned a lot about loving my family, my friends, and loving the raw, and unabstracted essence of life - small things, like the smell of coffee in the morning, walks, how privileged i am to be at university, surrounded by knowledge, literature, and university tutors for me to look up to. I’m getting a little emotional heh, i love life, I’m still learning to love it as much as i did before my adverse reaction. But i am doing, and it’s not impossible. life is achievable, you can all get there again, and reach yourself; it’s long, but so worth it. Quite beautiful really, it’s all waiting there, you just have to wait till the elevator gets there.

Take care all, and again,

thank you,

Reubin (ICIP).

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Icip

• mstimc

• Sunnyday

• Lncrl

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all,   I’ve spent the past few months wallowing deeper and deeper into a state of lunacy, doing some rather questionable things out of desperation, and confusion on my part. As has bee

Helloooo everyone, or whom hovers through my thread,   Very happy to report, I’m doing okay, i have lingering DP/DR, and brain fog, the eyesight stuff which doesn’t bother me anymore, though

Update:   I'm mostly fine, I have sensitivities to a lot of chemicals. Some anti-perspirants will give me really bad brain fog for a few days, and caffeine has varying effects; the more I dr

• Mentor
mstimc
23 minutes ago, Icip said:

small things, like the smell of coffee in the morning, walks, how privileged i am to be at university, surrounded by knowledge, literature, and university tutors for me to look up to. I’m getting a little emotional heh, i love life, I’m still learning to love it as much as i did before my adverse reaction. But i am doing, and it’s not impossible. life is achievable, you can all get there again, and reach yourself; it’s long, but so worth it. Quite beautiful really, it’s all waiting there, you just have to wait till the elevator gets there.

What a great message of hope and resilience, ICIP!  I, too, realized the importance of small things as I went through recovery.  I'm a lot more empathetic to other people who are hurting.  And I've learned we can't depend on external circumstances for our happiness--that has to come from within.  I think this experience, as horrific as it is while we're going through it, makes us much wiser and stronger, and more able to deal with the situations life throws as us.  You're on the right path!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

• 2 months later...

Helloooo everyone, or whom hovers through my thread,

Very happy to report, I’m doing okay, i have lingering DP/DR, and brain fog, the eyesight stuff which doesn’t bother me anymore, though, other than that, I’m fine - I’d say I’m healed. Obviously not as much as i can be, and i expect the brain fog to dissipate over the next few years, as well as rate of mental processing which has ostensibly slowed since my reaction. But I’m good, happy, I can drink alcohol again (in moderation just to be safe, i do get two day hangovers now which aren’t fun), i drink coffee in moderation (too much and the dip/dr gets worse). So yeah, I feel like a university student again, i feel human, i feel like one with my friends, i can feel life, appreciate the world, and just get on with my business. Am i perfect? No. Do i want to live, get up and get on with things as i would pre-reaction? Yes. Do i notice my symptoms? The DP/DR yes, all the time, but people get that without having had a toxic reaction to medication; it’s normal. My anxiety, and ocd is still there - but at a nice baseline which I’d experience before my reaction, i still feel my emotions returning to normal, such as having appropriate emotional reaction to certain (often sad) stimuli. DP/DR does come with a degree of emotional mulling, which i can live with as much as i used to enjoy a long cry, which i still do, it’s just not as often!

I still feel a bit broken, but no more than the next person suffering with eyesight stuff, and DP/DR, which in itself comes as apart of Visual Snow Syndrome/HPPD.

I still have days where i can’t get out of bed, though mostly fuelled by a very toxic relationship i stayed in throughout my illness. I have days, and often spurs of suicidiality; though again, not by design of my reaction. Stuff gets better, people heal, everyone will reach homeostasis on here at one point or another - just within your own timeframe, and on your own terms. I’ll make a recovered post at some point, i don’t want to yet as I’m still afflicted with a fair few problems, and personally i didn’t like reading, when horribly unwell, that people had only recovered mentally, which is great, and amazing in itself, and where I’m at right now - i just wanted to hear that the physical stuff got better, which i think will happen too. I just don’t want to celebrate prematurely, as it would be nice to tell people that everything gets better - and if it doesn’t; i will say that.

Thank you everyone, I’ll of course stay on the site, reply, give updates about things, such as an upcoming neurology appointment that i have, and I’m getting glasses soon to fix the astigmatism i got from all of this - i tried them on today, my vision was for the first time in now literal years, crystal clear!!! I’ll reply to my inboxed messages over the next few days too, sorry for being absent in replying.

TLDR: I’m great, afflicted, though life is moving on; I’m no longer stuck - so it’s nice to be able to move forward again, when everyone else is as we ease/plunge out of lockdown. I hope everyone is doing okay in that regard, especially if you’re from a part of the world which is reentering harsh restrictions.

Best to everyone,

Reubin/ICIP.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

• Mentor

That is awesome to hear my friend!! I'm almost through this as well I feel :) we are there and it feels good :)

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

Hey @KenA, lovely to hear from you! How are you doing? Great to see that you’re a mentor, have you had much time for it? I’ve been thinking a lot, about the commitment it must take, to have healed, yet to come back and help others through this. Thank you though:) It feels nice, like a weight off of my shoulders - sometimes when it hits me that I’m actually pretty okay, it’s so easy to get emotional, as it’s just as easy personally to forget everything that I’ve been through. Are you enjoying anything now that you couldn’t before? I find that life becomes more about the moment, like how it was before, rather than being in a constant loop of worry, rumination, and dread.

Best,

Icip.

Drug free.

@Icip  Congratulations! Thank you for coming back  And sharing your healing. It is such an encouragement

.025 Xanax 3 x daily  Start date 10-13-2013 through 8-13-2014.  Started tapering 6-2014 to 8-2014.  Some small discomfort. 25 mg Zoloft - Start date 5-1-2014.  50mg. 6-2014.  through 7-14-2014 .  Started tapering  7-14-2014, stopped tapering 10-2014.  I did 1/4 of the dose a month.  small discomfort.  These next 3 were prescribed when I made some seriously bad choices with my thyroid medication.  Was in ER twice for possible heart attack.  INTENSE anxiety, panic, fear.   Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks.  Thyroid levels bounced to extremes for 8 months. Dr. prescribed Zoloft 50mg  9-2105.  After 2 doses had a bad reaction passed out in my bedroom. Also prescribed Xanax .025  at the same time. 3 times daily, 4 if needed.  Was only on it about 2 weeks.  Was not working.  Trip ER they gave me an Ativan IV and it worked and lasted.  switched to Ativan. 9-24-2016. 1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16.  Attempted taper start 12-16-2016. Was shaving Pills and alternating tapering AM, PM and midday dose weekly.  Buspar .5mg  -2.5mg. am and 2. 5mg. pm start date 9-26-2016 .  Lexapro .10mg  start date  - 10-26-2016. Found SA and began 10/14/2017 tapering .001 gm every 4 days Held longer if there were was WD.    Was very sensitive to Ativan. 3-15-2018 Off midday dose - 7-16-2018 Off PM dose - OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018 10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 gm every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021 5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 Cold turkey on Dr. direction, PM does.  Reinstated PM dose 9-22 N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  12-22-17 reduced  from  75 mg. to 67.5 daily,  dose now 60 mg a day. Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering

@Moonpie, nice to see a fellow dog-repping member! So much of it is acceptance, which i don’t even think is conscious, but much more your brain adapting to changes made, as much, and in tandem with healing. I hope to see your finish-line post soon too, and thank you! Hope you’re doing well, and thank you for stopping by!

Icip.

Drug free.

• Mentor

Wonderful news, Icip!  So glad you're well on the way to healing!  And it means so much to others on the recovery path that you've come back to share your success story.  Each success gives many other hope.  Positive thoughts for continued healing!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you @mstimc, I really hope you’re doing well

Drug free.

I’m not sure how much I mentioned this in my previous post, but, the only thing that bothers me anymore is the depersonalisation/derealisation. It has a baseline of which I can cope, but the disconnect I feel from friends, and myself is getting a little too much.

I feel insane, I do stupid things without thinking as nothing seems real, I struggle to feel emotion in the moment/I feel numb.

I have accepted it as yes, people get this normally, but a few weeks ago one of my friends that I’ve had for two years said they liked me in a romantic sense - I could talk to them normally, as normally as I can muster right now before. But as much as yeah, they’re intelligent, beautiful, and funny, worrying about saying the right thing just made the disconnect worse; I really couldn’t talk to them. I have racing thoughts constantly, I feel insane. As much as it’s anxiety - I feel disconnected from it, which helps it to consume me.

I did just want to get this off of my chest, the girl I really liked said I overwhelmed her, and now she’s not my friend at all. It certainly wasn’t all my fault as there were other things on her side which were iffy, but it still stands that I played my part in it, and if I felt in atleast a little bit more like myself, and like I’m in the drivers seat of my brain, and less a passenger to my alcoholic, speeding Father, maybe I could have done better.

This has been a long intro to: I had a reaction to sertraline/Zoloft, I’ve taken citalopram/Celexa before with no problems (before my reaction). What is the general consensus/advice on taking medication after having an adverse reaction to a different kind

The last thing I want to do is to take medication, I certainly wouldn’t be on it long term - I’m just at my wits end, I feel like I’ve ruined so much by feeling so trapped, and not myself, I really just want to feel myself, to feel my surroundings, and to be able to connect with people

that was my favourite thing in the world before I got ill, feeling other people’s emotions, intimate friendships, you know just that 1-1’ness whether friends, or anything more; a connectedness to my surroundings too. I can’t do any of that anymore, it’s such a horrible feeling, to do so much, and to try my best, and none of it feels real, or like I’m actually really there/alive

I’m in a bad mood right now, but even when positive, I share these thoughts. Lamictal is supposed to help with Visual Snow Syndrome, and I’ve read helps with dpdr, and I don’t think is a serotonergenic? Any advice if anyone sees this who has any, would be really appreciated

Icip.

Drug free.

Hi Icip 

I follow your journey as I am in a similar situation following and Adverse Reaction september 2019. 

I too have lingering DR/DP in fact it's my main symptom. 

I understand how frustrating it gets. I too often wonder if I should try some more meds or something different. But then look how far we have come and we could potentially be sprung straight back into the hell of the acute stage. 

Keep going this may very well be the last phase of healing for us. 

They and remain hopeful and remember how far you have come. Healing will always happen. 

Take care

JesusSavemefromWD

@Icip @keogh08

like u guys , short term use of Zoloft, almost 11 months since I quit, plethora of symptoms, worst of all is debilitating DpDR and constant fear/panic mode. Would u say u have seen improvements in ur DPDR during the 2 years ur off? Do u think it ll eventually go away with time? I hope and pray for all of us to clear out…. Only people who have experienced severe Dpdr can understand what we are going through on a daily basis 

Aug. 15-17 cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28, 2020 3.5 weeks sertraline (25mg); 4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead;eye floaters/ tinnitus/no appetite; constant fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: pure hell

soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: Constant hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. Regret not reinstating at the begging of this hell. Loosing hope … 

Hi @keogh08,

Thank you for the words, the urge to try medication has only been growing as I've been recovering from all of the other symptoms. I must say I teared up when I read what you had posted earlier today, thank you. You are right, this may well be the turning point for us. Do you cope very well, how do you find your relationships (platonic et al), if you don't mind me asking. It's frustrating, and I guess I keep falling for the same catch-all marketing that drug companies use, that they fix everything.

Thanks Keogh, I hope that you're well, and thank you for posting here

Drug free.

@Icip I have the thoughts daily about starting meds especially the further away from the acute phase I get. But then I quickly remember how scary it was.

My relationship has struggled, of course as I have changed. I have been in a long term relationship for 13 years. I have a young child that depends on me. So I have to cope for her sake. But I will say it is a daily challenge all the fighting in my head. 

But I am hopeful that the 2 year mark will be a turning point like it has been for many. 

Recently I have been feeling more depressed than usual, but I am using the mantra for taking one day at a time. That is all I can do.

This has to get better it just has to, for all of us.

@JesusSavemefromWD,

Hi

Yes, and no, in regards to improvement - I'm able to rest more now, I feel more in the moment/grounded than even a few months ago. But I have quite bad OCD, which worsens it significantly when I'm having a bad episode. It's never what you want to hear, but you do get used to it, and learn to live with it. Does it bother me when I can't connect with a friend or whoever else, yes, or act in a non-robot way when needing to be in the moment/off the cuff, again, yes. I was really really upset and frustrated last night when making that post, but it does get better, whether that's the condition itself (I can say that a lot of cases I've read here on SA always get better, or even in most cases full recoveries. I got Visual Snow Syndrome from my reaction, which seems to be a little more permanent. But you don't (I think) so there's a good chance that it will get better.

Icip.

Drug free.

JesusSavemefromWD

@Icip @keogh08

i have the urge to try meds as well, hoping to get me out of this situation that the same meds put me in. I was having a really bad time few weeks on Zoloft but things got 100X worst after I dropped the last 5 mg. So I don’t know what to do anymore… I am not functioning at all…. Can’t even take care of my home and kids. But I agree We have to maintain hope that we will heal with time… @keogh08Do u feel ur DPdr is changing at all or, even slowly? Or I feel stuck at the same level of intensity?
@Icip I didn’t get visual snow but my vision is distorted from quitting Zoloft and I think that’s what makes my DP worst. I ve read about members recovering from visual snow, but takes time, so I hope it resolves for u as well.

Aug. 15-17 cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28, 2020 3.5 weeks sertraline (25mg); 4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead;eye floaters/ tinnitus/no appetite; constant fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: pure hell

soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: Constant hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. Regret not reinstating at the begging of this hell. Loosing hope …