SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Justwanttofeellikeme: off Celexa, now on Prozac & trazodone

Justwanttofeellikeme

I started Celexa about 15 years ago for panic attacks, about a year ago it pooped out on me and I had an adverse reaction I guess after 6-7 week taper (I didnt know better) I stopped went through hell for 7 months ended up in the mental hospital about a month ago and reinstated with 10mg Prozac for 2 days and then up to 20mg as well as 75mg of Trazadone for sleep. I started feeling better right away but am still having withdrawl symptoms 4 weeks later. If the prozac was going to make things worse would that have happened already. Should I go back down to 10mg? I need help. Maybe the withdrawls will subside in time? I should say that most of my Withdrawl symptoms have subsided except for the overwhelming,panicky,out of control pit in my stomach feeling that hasnt gone away but has lessoned a bit and some days isnt very noticeable. Thank you to anyone that has any insight.

Started trying ADs in 2004 for panic attacks, tried some dont remember what ones finally ended up on Celexa up to 40mg and Zanax as needed stopped Zanax when Celexa started helping. Did a couple bouts of Wellbutrin on top of the Celexa but only for a few months each time. Dont remember having trouble when I stopped it. Still on Celexa 40mg in May 2016 got post partum depression tried a few new meds and ended up on some SSRI cant remember what plus Hydroxyzine. Depression cleared up didnt like the way I felt went back on Celexa 20mg. October 2018 started feeling like Celexa wasnt working. February 2019 Celexa stopped working and I had an adverse reaction. Did a way too fast taper over 6-7 weeks then stopped. Went through hell for 7 months ended up in the mental hospital. Reinstated with Prozac 20mg and Trazadone 75mg for sleep. Also have gabapentin and hydroxizine as needed.

Also on Progesterone for a hormone imbalance.

Supplements: Folic Acid, Zinc, Fish Oil, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin K

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Altostrata changed the title to Justwanttofeellikeme off Celexa, now on Prozac & trazodone
  • Administrator

Welcome, Justwant.

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic. You can keep this topic updated as your situation changes.

1 hour ago, Justwanttofeellikeme said:

I started feeling better right away but am still having withdrawl symptoms 4 weeks later.

What are these withdrawal symptoms? Are they worse at any particular time of day? What times do you take your drugs, how do you feel before and after taking each?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Justwant.

I moved your post here to start your Introductions topic. You can keep this topic updated as your situation changes.

What are these withdrawal symptoms? Are they worse at any particular time of day? What times do you take your drugs, how do you feel before and after taking each?

Thank you, sorry about that. The withdrawal symptoms are I get a pit in my stomach, followed by a overwhelming panicky feeling. Sometimes it only lasts minutes and sometimes its up and down for a few hours. Its comes and goes but it happens every day. Some days its barely noticeable but the last 3 days its been bad again not as bad as before I started back on meds. Maybe its a wave?

It does happen at certain times a day usually around 9 or 10 and then again around 2 or 3 which started about 6 weeks after I stopped Celexa.

It doesnt appear to be related to the meds I feel ok after taking them and tnis is the same pattern that Ive been going through for months. I was wondering though if maybe now that the Prozac is in my system I should stop the trazadone? 

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much and God bless

Started trying ADs in 2004 for panic attacks, tried some dont remember what ones finally ended up on Celexa up to 40mg and Zanax as needed stopped Zanax when Celexa started helping. Did a couple bouts of Wellbutrin on top of the Celexa but only for a few months each time. Dont remember having trouble when I stopped it. Still on Celexa 40mg in May 2016 got post partum depression tried a few new meds and ended up on some SSRI cant remember what plus Hydroxyzine. Depression cleared up didnt like the way I felt went back on Celexa 20mg. October 2018 started feeling like Celexa wasnt working. February 2019 Celexa stopped working and I had an adverse reaction. Did a way too fast taper over 6-7 weeks then stopped. Went through hell for 7 months ended up in the mental hospital. Reinstated with Prozac 20mg and Trazadone 75mg for sleep. Also have gabapentin and hydroxizine as needed.

God bless you all 🙏💗

I did just notice that about an hour after taking the prozac at 9 am I have that overwhelming feeling again this time I almost feel like im high but this is the first time that has happened. Maybe im more sensitive during a wave?

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator

Is this something that happens every day? These repeating symptom patterns are important.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes its happened to some degree every day since about 6 weeks after stopping Celexa. Since I reinstated it has been minimal but the last 3 days its gotten a bit worse. We'll see how today is.

God bless you all 🙏💗

Im wondering if they started me at too high a dose (I didnt know better and neither do they obviously) but worried that at almost 5 weeks in it would be worse to lower the dose? Could this be a wave?

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator

If you get that symptom regularly after taking Prozac every day, most likely it's a drug reaction.

It is possible 20mg is too much for you right now, or Prozac is interacting with the mCPP metabolite from trazodone you took the night before. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

How well is the trazodone working for sleep?

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2228-0,1115-648,1147-0,1303-0,2414-0

It doesnt happen everyday after I take the Prozac just the last 2 days but I think Im in a wave so not sure? I had been doing fine until this last Wednesday, thats why I thought it was a wave and maybe Im more sensitive during?

I would be happy to decrease both but dont know where to start?

The trazadone works great for sleep but I started feeling l didnt need it anymore.

God bless you all 🙏💗

I am desperate and scared.

God bless you all 🙏💗

Yesterday was another rough one. I really hope this is just a wave and will pass soon.

@Altostrata Do you think it would be a good idea to lower the dose of Trazadone? Or what do you suggest Im feeling hopeless at this point. My doc suggested alternating 20mg and 10 mg Prozac every other day but Im not sure if that would make things worse. Its also possible the Trazadone is the issue. Just dont know where to go from here. Maybe I just need to ride the wave out?

God bless you all 🙏💗

43 minutes ago, Justwanttofeellikeme said:

Yesterday was another rough one. I really hope this is just a wave and will pass soon.

@Altostrata Do you think it would be a good idea to lower the dose of Trazadone? Or what do you suggest Im feeling hopeless at this point. My doc suggested alternating 20mg and 10 mg Prozac every other day but Im not sure if that would make things worse. Its also possible the Trazadone is the issue. Just dont know where to go from here. Maybe I just need to ride the wave out?

I definitely wouldn't alternate doses, Justwant. That's gonna make your nervous system wobble even more.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

So I should stay where Im at even if the dose is too high? I just don't know if its the meds or a wave cuz I was doing pretty good until 5 days ago.

God bless you all 🙏💗

I don't know if your dose is too high, a moderator can advise with that if you hang on in there. But I don't think you should alternate doses of different strengths because that causes further instability for your nervous system. Hold tight for the moment, until you get a more experienced answer....but I'm pretty sure the answer won't be to take different doses on different days.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

Ok thank you! Im feeling so hopeless

God bless you all 🙏💗

Another bad day today. I feel like I will be stuck in this forever. I feel hopeless, I am tempted to go back to the hospital but they will just want to up dose me and I dont know if that will make things worse. Anyone have ideas on how to cope with overwhelming panic and anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I have developed harm OCD and am scared to be around people, I have 2 kids to take care of and I'm terrified. I feel like Ive lost the few weeks of progress IVe had. I felt good for a few weeks now this.My future is bleak.

@brassmonkey You seem to know a lot. Can you help at all please?

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator
On 12/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, Justwanttofeellikeme said:

The trazadone works great for sleep but I started feeling l didnt need it anymore.

Why do you feel you don't need it anymore?

How long have you been taking progesterone? Please look at drugs.com for side effects. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Another bad day today.

What happened today?

What times of day do you take your drugs, with their dosages? How often do you take gabapentin, at what dosage? Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

Hello, I posted the link a couple days ago when you requested it. Here it is again!

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2228-0,1115-648,1147-0,1303-0,2414-0

Ive been taking Progesterone for 9 months.

I will keep notes by time starting tomorrow, the symptoms start when I wake up, I eat breakfast take my Prozac at 9am, the symptoms which are the same symptoms Ive had since stopping the Celexa which get worse during a wave start when I wake up, get a bit worse arounf noon and then sometimes in the evening but not always. I rarely take gabapentin if I do its 100mg.

Is there any hope for me?

God bless you all 🙏💗

@Altostrata I think im going to have to go back to the hospital. Is there anything that you can share with me to share with them. What do you recommend at this point. Would in increase or decrease mess me up further? Maybe they can add Xanax or would that be worse. Im at a loss here and dont know where to turn

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator

If you go into an American hospital, most likely they will add another drug. It's rare that they would know anything about withdrawal syndrome or a drug-drug interaction. They'll look at your history and call your symptoms psychiatric.

Given your drug interaction report, we need to those daily notes to see if the occasional gabapentin, for example, causes an increase in symptoms.

When did you increase Prozac to 20mg? Was it at the same time you started trazodone?

4 hours ago, Justwanttofeellikeme said:

the symptoms start when I wake up, I eat breakfast take my Prozac at 9am, the symptoms which are the same symptoms Ive had since stopping the Celexa which get worse during a wave start when I wake up, get a bit worse arounf noon and then sometimes in the evening but not always.

You take Prozac at 9 a.m. and your symptoms get worse a few hours later? How do they get worse? What does it feel like? Does this happen every day?

What time of day do you take progesterone? Did you look at the side effects? When you started it, what effect did you feel? Have you skipped any doses of any drugs recently?

31 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

If you go into an American hospital, most likely they will add another drug. It's rare that they would know anything about withdrawal syndrome or a drug-drug interaction. They'll look at your history and call your symptoms psychiatric.

Given your drug interaction report, we need to those daily notes to see if the occasional gabapentin, for example, causes an increase in symptoms.

When did you increase Prozac to 20mg? Was it at the same time you started trazodone?

You take Prozac at 9 a.m. and your symptoms get worse a few hours later? How do they get worse? What does it feel like? Does this happen every day?

What time of day do you take progesterone? Did you look at the side effects? When you started it, what effect did you feel? Have you skipped any doses of any drugs recently?

I dont want to add more meds but Im terrified right now I dont know what else to do.

I took gabapentin on Wednesday but I havent since then.

Yes I take Prozac at 9 am everyday but these symptoms have only started recently in the last few days but have been experiencing them since I stopped the Celexa.

I havent had any side affects from the progesterone so far. I take it at 7 pm.

I havent skipped any doses. I started the trazadone and the prozac at the same time in the hospital 5 weeks ago

Could this just be a wave?

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Justwanttofeellikeme said:

Its an overwhelming, out of control, panicky, pit in my stop feeling. It doesnt happen every day just the last few days. Its the same feeling Ive been getting from withdrawals

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator

My guess is it's the interaction of Prozac with trazodone's active metabolite. You might reduce 75mg trazodone by 5mg and see if the effect reduces. You will need to keep daily notes.

See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Ok thank you. Any idea why that would just start happening now after 5 weeks of taking the meds? Its not possibly a wave? Thats what it feels like but you definitely know more than I do.

God bless you all 🙏💗

This is too much, it seems like my anxiety has gotten worse. I tried just taking a little piece of Trazadone off and I think its made things worse. I am so afraid I am going to end up in a mental hospital for the rest of my life

God bless you all 🙏💗

@Altostrata What if its the Prozac, would it be a bad idea to decrease it or change it maybe go back to Celexa would be better? I am going to end up back in the hospital or dead. Would adding Xanax or something make things worse. I cannot cope with this, its too much

God bless you all 🙏💗

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

God bless you all 🙏💗

Going back to the hospital, please pray for me 🙏

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator

Prozac has a long half-life and has been ramping up over the last month. It's possible 20mg is too much. You might ask your doctor for 10mg capsules plus the prescription liquid so you can reduce it using an oral syringe.

I need to see those daily notes.

You need to remind yourself to stay as calm as possible while you have drug adverse reactions. They can be upsetting, but you can figure out how to reduce them if you're patient.

I cant Im ready to die. What should I tell the hospital I want to lower it to?

God bless you all 🙏💗

• Administrator

Let's take a good look at this. You're asking me what you should tell the doctors at the hospital? If you don't think they'll know what to do, why are you going to the hospital?

Didn't you get your current cocktail at the hospital? If you think they made a mistake, why are you on an Internet site asking how to fix it? Why don't you ask them?

Here's my best guess:

34 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Prozac has a long half-life and has been ramping up over the last month. It's possible 20mg is too much. You might ask your doctor for 10mg capsules plus the prescription liquid so you can reduce it using an oral syringe.

How are you doing? Just popped by to say hello. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Justwanttofeellikeme: off Celexa, now on Prozac & trazodone