SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

RM123: in need of help

RM123

1 minute ago, RM123 said:

I really don’t know but what medication will help me sleep? That won’t make me worse? 

I am not a doctor but I can suggest you just consult one what you can do. 

AD: Seroxat since 2005 20 mg and tapering from March 2018 10% every 4 weeks.

15-11-2019 down to 5.5 mg 

28-12-2019 crashed really bad on 5.5mg 

01-01-2020 updose to 7mg

16-01-2020 Updose to 9 mg

Benzos: Bromazepam 1.5 mg daily since 2015

Quit CT Bromazepam 16-01-2020 No withdrawals 

Occasionally 1.5 mg extra

Last extra 1.5 mg 12-01-2020

They want me on more antidepressants that are not even used for sleep. 

@Gridley you there? Can you please chime in

I can’t remember exact dates but:

I CT’d 20mg fluoxitine in Aug 2019. I thought to myself well I might as well come off mirtzapine. 10 years on this drug.

I CT’d 15mg Mirtzapine in Sept 2019. 2 years on this drug.

Insomnia started in Oct 2019 but I took no notice of it. I panicked in Dec 2019 as it became worse and of course never left. Hoping I I would get my

sleep back I reinstated mirtzapine hoping may sleep would come back in Dec 2019  at 7.5mg for a few days then 15mg for a few days then

stabilised at 7.5mg when I found SA. 

Since then I have experienced bloating which I have never had before, and a ectopic heart beat. Im exhausted and can't even think, speak or retain what people are saying to me anymore. I used to speak so intellectually and now I can't even get words out. 

From my experience atleast dont take Ssri/snri/bupropion antidepressants if you have insomnia because they will make it worse. Maybe you can ask for doxepin (6mg dose silenor?) if staying asleep is your problem and not falling asleep. Your insomnia has become chronic so benzos could just make insomnia worse after you quit them. 

I dont want to make you afraid but psychosis can cause also insomnia. 

Winter-Spring 2011 (12 week usage of Chantix for quitting smoking)

April 2017 Lexapro 10 mg after 6 weeks, CT:ed  due to increased anxiety, insomnia and depression

April 2017 - November 2017 Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, CT:ed due serious allergic reaction

January 2019 Imovane (zopiclone) for insomnia, CT:ed after 1 month of use

March 2019 Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for insomnia, i tried to CT in October 2019 and tried fast taper December 2019  Withdrawal process started 10.01.2020 *Current dose 2.25 mg (27.02.2020)

January 2020 Started 09.01.2019 Trintellix 10 mg for depression, CT:ed 22.01.2019 Withdrawal process started 22.01.2020

Supplements: 

Extended release melatonin 0.95mg (one week pause after three weeks of administration) 

Vitamin D 100 mikrograms every morning

Magnesium 200 mg 

• Mentor

RM, it sounds like you're in a serious anxiety spiral.  Your anxiety is causing physical symptoms which are making you more anxious, which in turn is making you loose sleep, which is exacerbating your physical and mental issues.  You said the feeling in your chest has been there for a week, and you blew it off at first.  It didn't become a problem until your anxiety noticed it and decided to make this your next big thing.  I'm not a doctor but after a week, if it was serious, you'd certainly know it.  Toward the end of his life, my father suffered from anxiety and he'd call me telling me he was having a stroke or a heart attack.  I'd walk him through his symptoms and explain how they were anxiety.  BTW, he didn't die of a heart attack or a stroke; he was a heavy smoker most of his life and overweight.  He caught pneumonia and his organs started to shut down.  

You need to find a way to cut the chain by reducing the physical  symptoms of anxiety and the best way to do that is by getting some rest to quiet your mind.  Once you do that, the physical symptoms will decrease and you will also outwardly look better. Some of the other members have offered advice on dealing with the insomnia--please try to find what will work for you.  Prayers to you!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

11 hours ago, mstimc said:

RM, it sounds like you're in a serious anxiety spiral.  Your anxiety is causing physical symptoms which are making you more anxious, which in turn is making you loose sleep, which is exacerbating your physical and mental issues.  You said the feeling in your chest has been there for a week, and you blew it off at first.  It didn't become a problem until your anxiety noticed it and decided to make this your next big thing.  I'm not a doctor but after a week, if it was serious, you'd certainly know it.  Toward the end of his life, my father suffered from anxiety and he'd call me telling me he was having a stroke or a heart attack.  I'd walk him through his symptoms and explain how they were anxiety.  BTW, he didn't die of a heart attack or a stroke; he was a heavy smoker most of his life and overweight.  He caught pneumonia and his organs started to shut down.  

You need to find a way to cut the chain by reducing the physical  symptoms of anxiety and the best way to do that is by getting some rest to quiet your mind.  Once you do that, the physical symptoms will decrease and you will also outwardly look better. Some of the other members have offered advice on dealing with the insomnia--please try to find what will work for you.  Prayers to you!

I think you hit it right on the head and I don’t know what to do anymore. I have slept 5.5hrs in the last 72hrs. I am not coping well. 

I’m sorry to hear about your father. 

You have written this very well. I can only think to how much this is damaging my health now and for the future. How do I rest if I can’t sleep?

Slept 5.5hrs in the last 72hrs. I honestly cannot bare this torture anymore. 

I CT’d 20mg fluoxitine in Aug 2019. I thought to myself well I might as well come off mirtzapine. 10 years on this drug.

Insomnia started in Oct 2019 but I took no notice of it. I panicked in Dec 2019 as it became worse and of course never left. Hoping I I would get my

sleep back I reinstated mirtzapine hoping may sleep would come back in Dec 2019  at 7.5mg for a few days then 15mg for a few days then

Since then I have experienced bloating which I have never had before, and a ectopic heart beat. Im exhausted and can't even think, speak or retain what people are saying to me anymore. I used to speak so intellectually and now I can't even get words out. 

• Mentor
1 minute ago, RM123 said:

I think you hit it right on the head and I don’t know what to do anymore. I have slept 5.5hrs in the last 72hrs. I am not coping well. 

I’m sorry to hear about your father. 

You have written this very well. I can only think to how much this is damaging my health now and for the future. How do I rest if I can’t sleep?

Slept 5.5hrs in the last 72hrs. I honestly cannot bare this torture anymore. 

If none of the relaxation techniques others have described work for you, then you should seriously consider medication.  I know you're concerned your doc will just give you another SSRI or benzo.  These days, it's hard to get doctors to stop and listen.  One thing that worked for me was to write a letter to my doctor and fax or email it (most offices have a contacts page on their websites) , explaining my situation and being specific as to what I needed when I saw him.  He could read it before my appointment and come in prepared.  Maybe you can try something like that?

Tim C

Nothing helps for my insomnia. It’s been a Mx if maybe 3hrs4hrs a night for the last 3 months and that’s rare. It’s been 1-2hrs for a month now. And last night I didn’t even sleep. 

I’m seriously considering medication but I don’t know what medication will actually help me sleep besides the sleeping pills. There is no guarantee that more meds will help with my insomnia as I reinstated mirtzapine at 7.5mg and it’s doing F ALL. 

My CNS is so screwed up I’m worried how will I react. 

Out here your can’t choose your DR. I went to the DR yesterday and told them for the fourth time how I’m struggling. All they wanted to do was up my Mirtazapine from 7.5mg to 30mg!!! 

@mstimc Jesus I just seen on Hells thread you have been fighting since the 90’s?!!!!!!! Did you have insomnia? Ok I don’t know how the hell i can manage that if that’s what I’m in for. I look like a completely different person now. I feel like complete shiz. I can’t do the things I love anymore. Basically my quality of life is not worth it. I went from happy and healthy to miserable and ill in less than 3 months. Completely turned my world upside down. 

• Mentor

2 minutes ago, RM123 said:

@mstimc Jesus I just seen on Hells thread you have been fighting since the 90’s?!!!!!!! Did you have insomnia? Ok I don’t know how the hell i can manage that if that’s what I’m in for. I look like a completely different person now. I feel like complete shiz. I can’t do the things I love anymore. Basically my quality of life is not worth it. I went from happy and healthy to miserable and ill in less than 3 months. Completely turned my world upside down. 

RM,  "Fighting" was probably a poor choice of words.  Fighting is a win/lose proposition and just adds to the anxiety.  Managing would have been better.  The reality is that anxiety and OCD may be lifelong chronic conditions but its not a sentence to everlasting misery.  Like any other chronic condition, they can be managed if you find the right tools.  I will probably never define myself as "cured" but I have a great quality of life.  Most days I wake up with a purpose and a desire to get things done.  Some days suck but I know its only a day.   I will never get the years I spent struggling back but I refuse to let that define my life.  Its what do in the moment and all the moments to come that count.  Try to take a step away from yourself and pretend you're listening to  a friend.  What would you tell him or her in this situation?  I very much doubt you'd say "Just give it up, you'll never manage this".  Be that friend to yourself.  In the US, there's a baseball saying. "It aint over till the fat lady sings".   It means as long as you make the effort, there's hope.    Instead of convincing yourself nothing will help,  believe that you'll find the solution to getting sleep if you give yourself that chance and hope.  The solution is out there--keep looking!

Tim C

Guys I really don’t know what to do. My sleep is really affecting me I am extremely exhausted and having a hard time with everything. 

I know my insomnia has to do with coming off my medication cold turkey. The Drs just want to give me more antidepressants thinking my insomnia is depression and anxiety related. Which it is not. It’s the withdrawal and now I’m having anxiety because of it. 

Please someone talk to me. How do I go on with 1-2hrs sleep a night knowing nothing out there will give me my sleep back. I’m starting to fall apart. 

I promise you will get your sleep back. I have been in similar situation like you and many others in SA. You are making your insomnia worse because you think about it all the time and what it does to you. You have to stop this. My insomnia got better when i stopped to think about it all the time and i became more active socially and started working for few days a week. Go sleep when you feel tired and wake up same time every day. Put your alarm to 7.00 am and when it rings get out of your bed asap. Eat breakfast and go do something. Do relaxing evening routine and dont read about things which makes your anxiety worse. Avoid thinking and reading about insomnia. Also tell your family how you feel.

If your sleep doesnt get better go talk to doctor and if you feel you are at your limits you probably should ask doctor to hospitalize you. 

April 2017 Lexapro 10 mg after 6 weeks, CT:ed  due to increased anxiety, insomnia and depression

April 2017 - November 2017 Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, CT:ed due serious allergic reaction

March 2019 Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for insomnia, i tried to CT in October 2019 and tried fast taper December 2019  Withdrawal process started 10.01.2020 *Current dose 2.25 mg (27.02.2020)

January 2020 Started 09.01.2019 Trintellix 10 mg for depression, CT:ed 22.01.2019 Withdrawal process started 22.01.2020

Supplements: 

Extended release melatonin 0.95mg (one week pause after three weeks of administration) 

Magnesium 200 mg 

I agree completely with nipsu above. You will get your sleep back, in time it will return, and when you remove the anxiety related to it, everything gets easier. 

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

1 hour ago, nipsu said:

I promise you will get your sleep back. I have been in similar situation like you and many others in SA. You are making your insomnia worse because you think about it all the time and what it does to you. You have to stop this. My insomnia got better when i stopped to think about it all the time and i became more active socially and started working for few days a week. Go sleep when you feel tired and wake up same time every day. Put your alarm to 7.00 am and when it rings get out of your bed asap. Eat breakfast and go do something. Do relaxing evening routine and dont read about things which makes your anxiety worse. Avoid thinking and reading about insomnia. Also tell your family how you feel.

If your sleep doesnt get better go talk to doctor and if you feel you are at your limits you probably should ask doctor to hospitalize you. 

I hope I will get my sleep back. It’s hard not to think about it when you work 5 days a week on 1-2hrs sleep a night. I mean I am exhausted. My cognitive function is gone, physical strength etc all a constant reminder of how sleep deprived I am. I go to the toilet wash my hands and see my bloodshot eyes with blood vessels everywhere, Massive eye bags and just an overwhelming look of someone who is really ill, another constant reminder. 

I wish I could work 2 days a week or not at all but I can’t. So I am being social but I’m finding difficult to even hold a conversation and get the right words out because again I’m lacking sleep. 

I got to sleep when I feel tired and I’ve been told to get out of bed right away and do something in the lounge to not associate the bed with tossing and turning and sleepless nights. 

Sleep has only gotten worse and I saw the Dr yesterday. She wants to up my mirtazapine that I reinstated at 7.5mg to 30mg. That’s not going to help me get my sleep back as this is wd related. I’m sure that will upset my CNS even more. 

As for the hospital same thing there. I really don’t know what hospitalisation can do for me besides throw more meds and “see if it works”. 

Anyways thank you. I just needed some support. 

I wonder if anyone else is out there with 1-2hrs sleep a night and how they manage it. Sleep deprivation can lead to so many other complications 

1 hour ago, Shane88L said:

I agree completely with nipsu above. You will get your sleep back, in time it will return, and when you remove the anxiety related to it, everything gets easier. 

I really hope this is true. 

22 hours ago, mstimc said:

RM,  "Fighting" was probably a poor choice of words.  Fighting is a win/lose proposition and just adds to the anxiety.  Managing would have been better.  The reality is that anxiety and OCD may be lifelong chronic conditions but its not a sentence to everlasting misery.  Like any other chronic condition, they can be managed if you find the right tools.  I will probably never define myself as "cured" but I have a great quality of life.  Most days I wake up with a purpose and a desire to get things done.  Some days suck but I know its only a day.   I will never get the years I spent struggling back but I refuse to let that define my life.  Its what do in the moment and all the moments to come that count.  Try to take a step away from yourself and pretend you're listening to  a friend.  What would you tell him or her in this situation?  I very much doubt you'd say "Just give it up, you'll never manage this".  Be that friend to yourself.  In the US, there's a baseball saying. "It aint over till the fat lady sings".   It means as long as you make the effort, there's hope.    Instead of convincing yourself nothing will help,  believe that you'll find the solution to getting sleep if you give yourself that chance and hope.  The solution is out there--keep looking!

Atm i have no quality of life at all. But I will try and give myself a chance and hope. Right now the lack of sleep is loosing my chances of having my dream job due to cognition, dry eyes burning from trying to use the computer etc 

Hey guys. Can I get some advice. 

I’ve now noticed that I’m extremely anxious especIally in social situations where I have to talk. It’s like I can’t think or even get my words out and what other people are saying doesn’t register on my brain. 

How do I manage this? Do I need to go back on medication? 

I’m worried since I cold turkey and in withdrawal the medication may not work liked it used to. For instance reinstating mirtzapine at 7.5 does nothing. So will upping the dose do anything, as they want me on 30mg but for depression.  

Or going back on fluoxitine will the same thing happen? 

Coming off my medication is really affecting my life now in so many ways. What was the point of coming off if I’m thinking of going back on them now. It has just left me crippled. 

You have asked many times this same question. There is alot good answers for you here already. You have to get rid off from thoughts how insomnia is affecting you and think about nice things which have happened during the day, past and plan something nice activity for you. You dont have to fight against insomnia. It will get better when you stop fighting against it. I am not doctor but maybe going back to fluoxetine wont help your insomnia any because its kinda activating. You have managed to live with your insomnia this far and still you are able to work and see friends. It will eventually ease and it will be just a bad memory. 

If you cant still find inner peace because of insomnia then you can try some medicine for it.

Have you tried doxylamine or atarax for insomnia? Both are strong anti histamines which make you drowsy. There is also anti depressant doxepin in 6 mg doses for insomnia. Its dose for depression is 75 mg to 150 mg. Its well tolerated at 6 mg doses and many GP use it for insomnia including doctors i know personally. Quetiapine is also used in doses of 25 mg to 50 mg for insomnia. Its anti psychotic and makes most people drowsy but has nasty side effects. You can talk about these meds with doctor and he can recommend some of these maybe.

Supplements: 

Magnesium 200 mg 

• Mentor
17 hours ago, RM123 said:

Right now the lack of sleep is loosing my chances of having my dream job due to cognition, dry eyes burning from trying to use the computer etc 

Hi

I don't know how much you may know about American history, but Harry Truman is considered to be one of the greatest post-WW II presidents.  He had a variety of jobs until he was 35 and became a captain in the Army during WW I.  After the war, he opened a mens' clothing shop that went bankrupt.  At 40+ he won election to local office but wasn't reelected.  He won election to the US Senate in 1934 but nobody paid much attention to him and he barely won reelection in 1940.  Practically nobody knew who he was when he became FDR's vice-president in 1944.  He got the country through the end of World War II, rebuilt Europe via the Marshall Plan and signed the first civil rights legislation since the Civil War.  Nobody thought he'd win reelection in 1948 but he beat all the odds.  Up to his mid-40's, most people would not have defined him as terribly successful.  

There is no timeline on success.  Don't put even more pressure on yourself by worrying about a "dream" job.  Healing and success will come at the right time. 

Tim C

48 minutes ago, mstimc said:

Hi

I don't know how much you may know about American history, but Harry Truman is considered to be one of the greatest post-WW II presidents.  He had a variety of jobs until he was 35 and became a captain in the Army during WW I.  After the war, he opened a mens' clothing shop that went bankrupt.  At 40+ he won election to local office but wasn't reelected.  He won election to the US Senate in 1934 but nobody paid much attention to him and he barely won reelection in 1940.  Practically nobody knew who he was when he became FDR's vice-president in 1944.  He got the country through the end of World War II, rebuilt Europe via the Marshall Plan and signed the first civil rights legislation since the Civil War.  Nobody thought he'd win reelection in 1948 but he beat all the odds.  Up to his mid-40's, most people would not have defined him as terribly successful.  

There is no timeline on success.  Don't put even more pressure on yourself by worrying about a "dream" job.  Healing and success will come at the right time. 

Thank you for that.  I feel pressured because its actually my last year of university as well. Im a mature student and I’m supposed to graduate doing what I love. It’s my whole future. If I don’t do this then I go back to a meaningless job living off of minimum wage and barely surviving. Which I’m doing right now full time and I hate it. This is why I wanted to further educate myself. I’ve spent the last 3.5years doing well on the course and now this. I didn’t want to speak about my university work before because I didn’t want to be identified but wanted to share what’s on the line for me. 

Right now I’m having difficulty with cognition due to lack of sleep and now anxiety which is affecting my studies.

I posted above with my anxiety are you able to give me some advice? Today was really bad it felt like I was gonna have a panic attack. 

2 hours ago, RM123 said:

Hey guys. Can I get some advice. 

I’ve now noticed that I’m extremely anxious especIally in social situations where I have to talk. It’s like I can’t think or even get my words out and what other people are saying doesn’t register on my brain. 

How do I manage this? Do I need to go back on medication? 

I’m worried since I cold turkey and in withdrawal the medication may not work liked it used to. For instance reinstating mirtzapine at 7.5 does nothing. So will upping the dose do anything, as they want me on 30mg but for depression.  

Or going back on fluoxitine will the same thing happen? 

Coming off my medication is really affecting my life now in so many ways. What was the point of coming off if I’m thinking of going back on them now. It has just left me crippled. 

@mstimc

1 hour ago, nipsu said:

You have asked many times this same question. There is alot good answers for you here already. You have to get rid off from thoughts how insomnia is affecting you and think about nice things which have happened during the day, past and plan something nice activity for you. You dont have to fight against insomnia. It will get better when you stop fighting against it. I am not doctor but maybe going back to fluoxetine wont help your insomnia any because its kinda activating. You have managed to live with your insomnia this far and still you are able to work and see friends. It will eventually ease and it will be just a bad memory. 

If you cant still find inner peace because of insomnia then you can try some medicine for it.

Have you tried doxylamine or atarax for insomnia? Both are strong anti histamines which make you drowsy. There is also anti depressant doxepin in 6 mg doses for insomnia. Its dose for depression is 75 mg to 150 mg. Its well tolerated at 6 mg doses and many GP use it for insomnia including doctors i know personally. Quetiapine is also used in doses of 25 mg to 50 mg for insomnia. Its anti psychotic and makes most people drowsy but has nasty side effects. You can talk about these meds with doctor and he can recommend some of these maybe.

I was talking about my anxiety in the post as it’s getting worse. But it’s good to know fluoxitine is activating for insomnia. I see you have tried many drugs and have had bad reactions. That is what I’m afraid of. 

How is your insomnia now? 

I am trying but there always something new coming up with this withdrawal like increased anxiety now, like today that was debilitating. 

I haven’t looked into those drugs as my Dr is against prescribing sleeping medication. Like I said worried about going on more medication. 

• Mentor
1 hour ago, RM123 said:

Thank you for that. I feel pressured because its actually my last year of university as well. Im a mature student and I’m supposed to graduate doing what I love. It’s my whole future. If I don’t do this then I go back to a meaningless job living off of minimum wage and barely surviving. Which I’m doing right now full time and and I hate it. This is why I wanted to further educate myself. I’ve spent the last 3.5years doing well on the course and now this. I didn’t want to speak about my university work before because I didn’t want to be identified. 

Right now I’m having difficulty with cognition due to lack of sleep and now anxiety which is affecting my studies.

I posted above with my anxiety are you able to give me some advice? Today was really bad it felt like I was gonna have a panic attack. 

When I was completing my comprehensive exams for grad school, I was dealing with severe hypochondria, which I now realize was a manifestation of my anxiety/OCD.  I had to make the conscious decision to put those thoughts on the back burner and channel my energy to finishing my degree.  Your whole future isn't graduating--its all of the experiences you have yet to encounter.  After I got my Master's degree, it took me almost a year to get a decent job, and then it certainly wasn't my dream job.  It took me a few years to get on my career track.  Looking back after almost 40 years, I realize my "dream job" is what I made it, not a specific job title or pay range.

Look back at your posts and the responses from other members.  You mention symptoms and get advice, then you bring up the same ones again or add new ones like social anxiety.  You're "scanning", looking for reasons for your anxiety where none exist.  Listen to your body; when it needs sleep, it'll let you sleep.  Instead of using your energy trying to identify everything wrong (or that can go wrong),  apply some of that energy to making decisions about what you can realistically do.  How can you accommodate the need for sleep within your job and schoolwork?  What things relax you?  You sound like you're smart and a planner.  If it helps, write out a Q&A list with all your problems, and then write a short list of possible solutions.  Get control of your anxiety by showing it you're in charge.

Edited by mstimc

Tim C

2 hours ago, mstimc said:

When I was completing my comprehensive exams for grad school, I was dealing with severe hypochondria, which I now realize was a manifestation of my anxiety/OCD.  I had to make the conscious decision to put those thoughts on the back burner and channel my energy to finishing my degree.  Your whole future isn't graduating--its all of the experiences you have yet to encounter.  After I got my Master's degree, it took me almost a year to get a decent job, and then it certainly wasn't my dream job.  It took me a few years to get on my career track.  Looking back after almost 40 years, I realize my "dream job" is what I made it, not a specific job title or pay range.

Look back at your posts and the responses from other members.  You mention symptoms and get advice, then you bring up the same ones again or add new ones like social anxiety.  You're "scanning", looking for reasons for your anxiety where none exist.  Listen to your body; when it needs sleep, it'll let you sleep.  Instead of using your energy trying to identify everything wrong (or that can go wrong),  apply some of that energy to making decisions about what you can realistically do.  How can you accommodate the need for sleep within your job and schoolwork?  What things relax you?  You sound like you're smart and a planner.  If it helps, write out a Q&A list with all your problems, and then write a short list of possible solutions.  Get control of your anxiety by showing it you're in charge.

I am trying my hardest to get this degree but I’m just not getting anything done. I’m stuck with an assignment and it’s just not working. I work on it literally hrs a day even if my eyes are burning from being dry. Its not going to pass. 

I cannot put insomnia on the back burner because I simply can’t sleep.  I’m working off of steam which then makes my anxiety worse. But with anxiety I can try. Today was my first time almost experiencing what I would say a panic attack. My heart racing and body shaking. 

My future is to graduate because it will give me all the experiences. I don’t graduate and i will

be faced with enormous debt. How do I live? I struggle to work yet alone attend university with little hrs of rest. I cannot sleep during the day. My mind won’t let me. I get sleepy in the evening and I sleep 1-2hrs a night for the last 3 months. 
My skips a beat now, I believe it’s called ectopic. 

I want to get in control of my anxiety without medication. I can’t relax because I have to get this assignment done and I’m so behind already. I punish myself everyday for coming off these meds not thinking what they would do to me. I’m such an idiot. Sorry to sound so negative 

Have you tried CBT-I? The VA provide an online version of it for free https://www.veterantraining.va.gov/insomnia/index.asp

Your GP will also refer you if you tell them it's NICE approved as first line treatment but it's not too widely available in the UK yet so it could mean travelling.

You may have to accept taking time off uni. It seems like a huge deal when you do it but actually all that happens is you lose some time. Don't forget that it's not real debt, like a bank loan, it's more like a graduate tax.

Dx: complex PTSD

Discontinuation/taper history: sertraline, trazodone, prazosin, mirtazapine, diazepam

Took 200mg quetiapine for 0.5 years and 150mg for 1.5 years until 01/2020. Now microtapering daily at an overall rate of 12.5mg/month.

1 minute ago, lxjuice said:

Have you tried CBT-I? The VA provide an online version of it for free https://www.veterantraining.va.gov/insomnia/index.asp

Your GP will also refer you if you tell them it's NICE approved as first line treatment but it's not too widely available in the UK yet so it could mean travelling.

You may have to accept taking time off uni. It seems like a huge deal when you do it but actually all that happens is you lose some time.

Hi I’m currently doing CBT-I but it’s very difficult. It will be my fourth session and I have a hard time remembering when I wake up and if I fall back asleep for and for how long. I also have a hard time getting out of bed when I wake up as I hope I will fall back asleep. I’m supposed to go to the lounge when this happens and do something calm to not associate the bed with sleepless nights. 

5 minutes ago, RM123 said:

Hi I’m currently doing CBT-I but it’s very difficult. It will be my fourth session and I have a hard time remembering when I wake up and if I fall back asleep for and for how long. I also have a hard time getting out of bed when I wake up as I hope I will fall back asleep. I’m supposed to go to the lounge when this happens and do something calm to not associate the bed with sleepless nights. 

It's early days and you're in the most difficult bit of it. It's also contributing to your anxiety levels. You just need to give it time and be aware that most unis are quite good with mental illness - even if they don't offer much support (*ahem* Bristol) they will let you resit or retake with a doctors note pretty easily. So I wouldn't worry about your exams and coursework too much for now.

Dx: complex PTSD

Discontinuation/taper history: sertraline, trazodone, prazosin, mirtazapine, diazepam

Took 200mg quetiapine for 0.5 years and 150mg for 1.5 years until 01/2020. Now microtapering daily at an overall rate of 12.5mg/month.

• Mentor
18 hours ago, RM123 said:

I am trying my hardest to get this degree but I’m just not getting anything done. I’m stuck with an assignment and it’s just not working. I work on it literally hrs a day even if my eyes are burning from being dry. Its not going to pass. 

I cannot put insomnia on the back burner because I simply can’t sleep.  I’m working off of steam which then makes my anxiety worse. But with anxiety I can try. Today was my first time almost experiencing what I would say a panic attack. My heart racing and body shaking. 

My future is to graduate because it will give me all the experiences. I don’t graduate and i will

be faced with enormous debt. How do I live? I struggle to work yet alone attend university with little hrs of rest. I cannot sleep during the day. My mind won’t let me. I get sleepy in the evening and I sleep 1-2hrs a night for the last 3 months. 
My skips a beat now, I believe it’s called ectopic. 

I want to get in control of my anxiety without medication. I can’t relax because I have to get this assignment done and I’m so behind already. I punish myself everyday for coming off these meds not thinking what they would do to me. I’m such an idiot. Sorry to sound so negative 

Good Morning, RM

This is an example of having your catastrophic thoughts control your metal narrative.  You're stringing a series of fear-based possibilities together and making the worst outcome a certainty in your mind:  You can't sleep, therefore you can't complete your assignments, therefore you won't graduate, therefore you won't get a good job and therefore you will be saddled with a huge college debt. On top of that, you're piling on physical symptoms of anxiety.

First, stop beating yourself up for coming off your meds.  It was the right decision at the time you made it.  If you waited till after graduation and had that dream job, you'd be suffering just as much, if not more. Next, break the chain of catastrophic thinking.  As @lxjuice said, CBT is a great tool for this.  It takes time but it does work--it worked for me.  From what you've been writing, it sounds like what's driving your anxiety levels is your fear of failing school.  To a degree, that's natural and you should accept a certain level of anxiety.  But your anxiety is keeping you from doing the one thing that will resolve it; finishing your assignments properly.  You can do it if you concentrate your thoughts and energy on your assignments.  None of the terrible things will happen if you pass.  You've succeeded  in all your courses in college up to now so you know you can do it. Think about how great you'll feel when all this is behind you instead of how terrible it'll be when you fail.  Then follow through and do it!

Edited by mstimc

Tim C

I know how you feel RM. People who never experienced such insomnia will never know. It is horrible. It is impossible to live with it without suffering and going through hell everyday. I won't be able to continue for much longer. I can accept many symptoms that I have but this is something you just can't live with. It is hell. And some of the people never see improvement. Like PoetJester. He has insomnia since 2014. Barely sleeping. 

2015 - Elicea for 2 months, quit cold turkey, survived withdrawal (brain zaps, severe depression)

2018 - april to july, Xanax, quit cold turkey, no serious withdrawal symptoms

2018 - august to late december, Mirtazapine, psychiatrist got me off it cold turkey

2019 - january to april, Seroxat, again stopped cold turkey, developed double vision if looking at close screens etc.

2019 - june to 13th november, Zyprexa (2.5mg-10mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking it

2019 - middle october to november 13th, Zoloft (0.6mg-25mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking

Horrible withdrawal with severe insomnia afterwards, not feeling hungry or sleepy, never tired, stomach problems, nausea...

24th november - reinstated 2.5mg zyprexa

3rd december - 5mg zyprexa

new symptoms - glare, halos around lights, muscle twitching worse, eyelid and cheek twitching every 5-10 minutes

11th january 2020 - 4.3mg zyprexa 

Late 2020 (gradually finished the taper back then) to present - meds free. No improvements regarding sleep. Developed dry eyes because lack of it. Only positive change is that I do feel sleepy now but sleep is the same, broken and not good.

7 hours ago, mstimc said:

Good Morning, RM

This is an example of having your catastrophic thoughts control your metal narrative.  You're stringing a series of fear-based possibilities together and making the worst outcome a certainty in your mind:  You can't sleep, therefore you can't complete your assignments, therefore you won't graduate, therefore you won't get a good job and therefore you will be saddled with a huge college debt. On top of that, you're piling on physical symptoms of anxiety.

First, stop beating yourself up for coming off your meds.  It was the right decision at the time you made it.  If you waited till after graduation and had that dream job, you'd be suffering just as much, if not more. Next, break the chain of catastrophic thinking.  As @lxjuice said, CBT is a great tool for this.  It takes time but it does work--it worked for me.  From what you've been writing, it sounds like what's driving your anxiety levels is your fear of failing school.  To a degree, that's natural and you should accept a certain level of anxiety.  But your anxiety is keeping you from doing the one thing that will resolve it; finishing your assignments properly.  You can do it if you concentrate your thoughts and energy on your assignments.  None of the terrible things will happen if you pass.  You've succeeded  in all your courses in college up to now so you know you can do it. Think about how great you'll feel when all this is behind you instead of how terrible it'll be when you fail.  Then follow through and do it!

I couldn’t agree more. For the past 3 nights I’ve woke up thinking about my assignment with extreme anxiety and heart racing. Heart rate was 110bpm. It weirds because it leaves me very confused. After an hr I think about what I woke up thinking about and it has nothing to do with what I’ve been working on the assignment. 
What do you mean by piling on physical symptoms of anxiety?

I beat myself up everyday. I regret it every single second. Failing school is a major anxiety as well as all the other symptoms. I’m am trying my hardest concentrate and stay focussed, I’m just not finding the information, spending hrs searching for literature. It’s a really tough assignment and I don’t even think I’m doing it properly. My eyes are so dry from lack of sleep they burn when looking at my computer. I’m really trying. I want to graduate. 

I’m doing CBT but it’s for insomnia but maybe I will see if I can get CBT I’m general from healthcare. 

Thank you for always taking time out to reply. It means a lot 

2 hours ago, Hell said:

I know how you feel RM. People who never experienced such insomnia will never know. It is horrible. It is impossible to live with it without suffering and going through hell everyday. I won't be able to continue for much longer. I can accept many symptoms that I have but this is something you just can't live with. It is hell. And some of the people never see improvement. Like PoetJester. He has insomnia since 2014. Barely sleeping. 

It’s nice to know that someone out there knows what I am going through. It is truly hell. it’s actually torture. It is so hard to live with it. I have to go to school and work everyday. I don’t know I even managed. I feel that one day I may burn out. On top I’m starting to get other symptoms like ectopic heart beat. Extreme anxiety. My eyes are ugly bloodshot and blood vessels everywhere. They are so dry now they burn. 

If I get put on more meds for it then it may make things even worse. I just don’t know what to do anymore.

It scares me to know that I could possibly be dealing with this for a long time. I don’t think I can handle that. It’s hell. 

Im so angry with myself for coming off. I wish I fukin knew. What was I thinking. And now I have to suffer the consequences. Why on earth deserve this punishment. My whole damn life has been affected. Everything. 

Again new damn symptom. Now I  am bloating and it’s mildly painful. I have never ever had bloating in my entire life. It’s been happening now for about 5 days and it’s constant. It doesn’t go. Anyone experienced this?

Like come on. Now I have to watch out what I eat?!!!! I can’t handle all this. Don’t eat this, don’t eat that, like diagnosing in the blind. 

Im also worried about this ectopic heartbeat. It’s happens daily all day for the last 2 weeks now. I’m scared it’s something serious. I don’t want to go on those strong meds for it that need tapering off again. I’m hoping it will ease. Any suggestions? 

I have never had anxiety this bad ever before. Even when I’m not thinking about it, it comes on. Tight chest, empty feeling in the chest, panic. I feel like it’s getting worse. Really bad when I wake up after 1-2hrs sleep heart racing in fear. 

I’m really contemplating going back on something as this anxiety is crippling. But I feel the medication may make things worse (anxiety and insomnia) as I’m desensitised. 

I wish I knew what these drugs really do to you when you come off 

Anyone there? My ectopic heartbeat is more consistent and I’m so scared. I’m scared my heart is messed up now because of this. I don’t know what to do. 

Have you seen any improvement in your condition during past week? I belive you will get better soon.

Supplements: 

Magnesium 200 mg 

6 minutes ago, nipsu said:

Have you seen any improvement in your condition during past week? I belive you will get better soon.

For the heartbeats? They are consistent. Sometimes it happens 4-5 time’s in a minute. I think it happens all day long when I notice it 

How about your anxiety and insomnia have these symptoms got any better? Maybe you should talk with your doc about your heartbeats.

Supplements: 

Magnesium 200 mg 

• Mentor
19 minutes ago, RM123 said:

Anyone there? My ectopic heartbeat is more consistent and I’m so scared. I’m scared my heart is messed up now because of this. I don’t know what to do. 

RM

Other than the vague possibility you may have an ectopic heartbeat based on the opinions of some members here, what is convincing you that's the problem?  I'd think if you had a serious heat condition, after two weeks you'd be in a lot worse shape.  I can't tell you the number of times I saw my doctor with an array of bumps, lumps, lesions, and other symptoms that were nothing but anxiety sending my mind and body off an a wild goose chase.  

Tim C