SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

RM123: in need of help

RM123

Guys I’m really fed up with my insomnia. These last few days I have not been able to get to sleep and then I don’t sleep at all. The week before that I was getting sleepy and lethargic around 7pm. It’s totally changed. 

I just don’t know how much longer I can cope. 

I can’t remember exact dates but:

I CT’d 20mg fluoxitine in Aug 2019. I thought to myself well I might as well come off mirtzapine. 10 years on this drug.

I CT’d 15mg Mirtzapine in Sept 2019. 2 years on this drug.

Insomnia started in Oct 2019 but I took no notice of it. I panicked in Dec 2019 as it became worse and of course never left. Hoping I I would get my

sleep back I reinstated mirtzapine hoping may sleep would come back in Dec 2019  at 7.5mg for a few days then 15mg for a few days then

stabilised at 7.5mg when I found SA. 

Since then I have experienced bloating which I have never had before, and a ectopic heart beat. Im exhausted and can't even think, speak or retain what people are saying to me anymore. I used to speak so intellectually and now I can't even get words out. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, RM123 said:

Hi thanks for this. I’m not sure I quite understand. So why do I weight first of 10 tablets of 15mg to get 150mg? What’s a pill weight? 

Pill weight is how much the pill weighs on the scale.  A pill with 15mg active ingredient weighs much more than 15mg because the pill is mostly inactive filler than binds the pill together.  I used the weight of 150mg just as an example because I don't know how much your pills weigh.  We are dealing with two completely different things here: pill weight (mgpw) which you have to weigh to find out and active ingredient (mgai) which in your case is 15mg.  

The pills in your bottle all weigh slightly different weights.  That's why I said to weigh 10 pills to get an average weight that you will use in the future.  You will do this only one time.  So you weigh 10 pills, one by one, write down how much each one weighs and find out the average.  Let's say, just as an example, that the average is 100mg  Write this down.  This is what you will use in the future when you weigh your pills.  

You can crush as many pills as you want.   You can crush 1 pill, 5 pills, it doesn't matter, whatever you want to do.  Then you make up your capsules from the crushed powder and save the rest.

Let's say you crush one pill and put it on the scale.  You know the average weight is 100mg (it doesn't matter what this specific pill's powder weighs; you are always going to use the average weight) and you know you want half of your 15mg active ingredient pill.  Half of your average weight of 100 is 50mg.  Remove powder until the scale shows 50mg and you have the powder to make your 7.5mg pill.

Pharmaceutical companies in developed countries like the U.K. operate under very strict standards that ensure that the active ingredient is correct in each pill and that it is evenly distributed throughout the pill.  You don't have to worry about getting all filler.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley

Sorry I’m a little slow and can’t think properly. I’m gonna have to read this over and over again to make sure I understand. Atm I’m still confused but I will try and figure it out. 

Remember how you said that going ton15mg is way to much of a jump. And to think my add said to go on 30mg for depression because that would help me sleep!!!!!

I CT’d 20mg fluoxitine in Aug 2019. I thought to myself well I might as well come off mirtzapine. 10 years on this drug.

Insomnia started in Oct 2019 but I took no notice of it. I panicked in Dec 2019 as it became worse and of course never left. Hoping I I would get my

sleep back I reinstated mirtzapine hoping may sleep would come back in Dec 2019  at 7.5mg for a few days then 15mg for a few days then

Since then I have experienced bloating which I have never had before, and a ectopic heart beat. Im exhausted and can't even think, speak or retain what people are saying to me anymore. I used to speak so intellectually and now I can't even get words out. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, RM123 said:

@Gridley

Sorry I’m a little slow and can’t think properly. I’m gonna have to read this over and over again to make sure I understand. Atm I’m still confused but I will try and figure it out. 

Remember how you said that going ton15mg is way to much of a jump. And to think my add said to go on 30mg for depression because that would help me sleep!!!!!

Take your time.  It can be confusing, I know.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Just now, Gridley said:

Take your time.  It can be confusing, I know.

Atm I don’t have the brain power to do it. It’s overwhelming me as well. 

I can’t believe how long this insomnia has persisted and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. 

I started melatonin 3 weeks ago first at time release for a week, no help. Then I tried 30mcg fast and 30mcg time release for the next week, no help. This week Ive tried 60mcg fast release and 30mcg time release, no help. 

I’m wondering if I should go up more.  Gridley I’m so fed up with this now. All aspect of life have been affected 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, RM123 said:

I’m wondering if I should go up more.  Gridley I’m so fed up with this now. All aspect of life have been affected 

I'm sorry you're suffering from this terrible situation.

You could go up more if you wanted to.  The only thing to watch out for is that if you go too high it can have a paradoxical affect and be activating rather than sedating.  If you notice that you're even more activated than usual then you've gone too high.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

@RM123

Apace, one of our moderators, wrote this post about dealing with lack of sleep a while back.  I hope you'll find it helpful.

Phill,

As promised in response to your PM, I'm happy to add what I can to the mix.  I must say, however, that Gridley has provided you with terrific support and plenty of good information for you to synthesize as part of the process.

As he has said, and I must echo, there is, unfortunately, no "silver bullet" to withdrawal or any of its symptoms, including insomnia.  If there were, SA would be a much smaller site than it is at this point.  Sadly, it continues to grow as more and more people get caught in the psychiatric medication "web."

As Gridley said and you by now clearly understand, insomnia and disordered sleeping is a hallmark of psychiatric medication withdrawal.  It starts earlier than that with many studies making it clear that SSRIs (and other psych meds) frequently suppress REM sleep for those who take the meds.  https://www.sleepio.com/articles/sleep-aids/antidepressants-and-sleep/  Given this as a backdrop, it should be no surprise that coming off the meds can wreak havoc on sleep.  The good news, however, is that the brain works hard to achieve homeostasis and, all other things being equal, the brain will return to a place where sleep becomes, as it should be, a matter of routine.  How long that takes for any one person is impossible to predict.  Having "only" been on an SSRI for 2 years is a positive fact in your recovery, as there are plenty who were on 5-10x longer than that who have healed their lives and their sleep successfully.  But there is no easy formula to apply.  If I could tell you that being on the meds 2 years meant X months of recovery I'd gladly tell you that.  It just doesn't work like that.  It should be a positive and mean a shorter recovery, but there is no certainty.

So, what do you do?  In no particular order, some of the things to try:

• Don't place too much significance on sleep.  Rest should be the key and when your body absolutely needs to sleep it will.  The anxiety that comes with lying awake and saying "I must sleep" is far worse than the not sleeping.  It's hard but it can be done.
  • Try a journaling practice before bed -- get out the things that are on your mind and add 3 things you are grateful for from the day
  • Get a sleep ritual in place so that you do the same thing day after day and start to repair your circadian rhythms
  • Take a warm bath with epsom salts few hours before bedtime and add in a cup of chamomile tea
  • Use lavender essential oils in a diffuser at bedtime
  • Exercise early in the day so that you aren't activated near bedtime
  • Get outside and get some sunlight early in the day so that your rhythms are reestablished
  • Make sure you have a consistent bedtime 
  • Try not to be too activated in the couple of hours before bed and, of course, no caffeine
  • Add a meditation practice
  • Try yoga
  • Go for walks in nature

Most insomnia is the result of the body being "hyperstimulated."  It is very hard to calm down an overstimulated body, especially when it is the result of chemical cascades that come as a result of medication use and withdrawal.  But, it can be done to a certain degree and the skills learned will provide valuable as your body improves over time.  

From my own perspective, my sleep is still not great, but it it better than it was.  I went through many stretches of 2 or 3 days with zero or an hour or two a night of sleep.  At this point, I have the occasional sleepless night, but most nights I'm good for at least 5 and usually closer to 6 hours.  By "normal" people standards that's not great, but it feels pretty good when compared to 0 or 2-3 hours a night.  As the saying goes, "in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king!"

Try not to let it become the dominant factor in your life.  Over time, it will get better and you will heal.  Just do your best to continue to live your life what your brain is repairing itself.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

On 2/29/2020 at 2:25 PM, Gridley said:

I'm sorry you're suffering from this terrible situation.

You could go up more if you wanted to.  The only thing to watch out for is that if you go too high it can have a paradoxical affect and be activating rather than sedating.  If you notice that you're even more activated than usual then you've gone too high.  

I appreciate your support @Gridleyand for your last post. I really needed to read that today 

Hi guys,

having bad day today. The last two nights I fallen asleep on the sofa on and off for bursts. Couldn’t sleep afterwards in bed. Last night I didn’t bro fall asleep on the sofa. Went to bed and couldn’t sleep at all. 

I’m absolutely tired but wired. I’m so shaky, feel so weak and can’t think. 

My dear friends, I don’t know how much longer I can take this for. 

I can’t live a life like this anymore 

Absolutely nothing in life makes me happy right now. 

But the thought of not suffering anymore does. It actually puts a smile on my face. 

• Mentor

RM, this is temporary, no matter how bad it seems at the moment.  Each day is one closer to recovery.

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 7:17 PM, mstimc said:

RM, this is temporary, no matter how bad it seems at the moment.  Each day is one closer to recovery.

It’s so hard for me to even begin to think like that. Everything’s getting on top of me from this withdrawl and reinstating. Sleep deprivation, weight gain etc etc. 

I just fell like it’s all too much. 

Beware of Facebook groups 

1D0FACBA-F037-472D-A791-65141BA22DAE.jpeg

• Mentor

Am I reading this right?  Someone is advocating cold turkey?  Good Lord!

Tim C

Yes that is correct. Here’s some more. It’s so sad to see this and other people listening to it. 

CF6F6E28-B8A6-4AA4-949D-0E4463B410A0.jpeg

• Mentor
4 minutes ago, RM123 said:

It’s so hard for me to even begin to think like that. 

And yet that's the first step to recovery.  As I've told a couple of other members, nothing is being done to you.  You don't have a virus and you didn't break a leg.   Your insomnia and other symptoms are driven by a nervous system in WD.  Give yourself a chance to let your system begin to heal.  You said the thought of not suffering anymore makes you smile.  The easy answer is to end things.  But the flip side of that statement is that as long as you can ease your suffering, you can move on toward happiness.  I know how hard it is to accept that its just negative thought habits and an over-sensitized nervous system  that are causing all your problems but if you can accept that truth you can begin recovery.  It takes tremendous effort and determination--the most you will ever need in your life.  But it is worth it.  Get as much sleep as you can and accept that's the way it is for now.  As you begin to accept that, sleep will come easier.  As you get more rest, you'll be able to think more clearly and start to address adopting more positive thinking practices.  You need to start somewhere. 

Tim C

• Mentor
6 minutes ago, RM123 said:

Yes that is correct. Here’s some more. It’s so sad to see this and other people listening to it. 

CF6F6E28-B8A6-4AA4-949D-0E4463B410A0.jpeg

That's almost criminal.  To quote my southern Missouri father's wise words, "That boy's got no more sense than God put in a gnat's ass.".

Tim C

On 2/4/2020 at 10:42 AM, nipsu said:

I suffered insomnia for 2 years. It started in december 2017 when i had too much stress and anxiety. At first insomnia was manageable but in april 2018 it started get worser and worser. When summer 2018 came i couldnt sleep for many days in row at all and everybody could see that i am not doing well. It got little bit better during summer and i went to vacation in Greece where i slept 7-8 hours every night which helped me to gain some energy back. Soon after the vacation insomnia came back and again going worser. From november 2018 to february 2019 between that period i had probably average of 1-3 hours of sleep everynight and i got sleep paralysis + hypnagocic hallucinations when i tried to sleep because i was severely sleep deprived. I was probably close to death (atleast brain dead). I couldnt speak, i didnt know why i am anxied or if i am sad or happy. I didnt have nothing feelings at all. I started to bloat, my face was all the time red and had many other physical and mental symptoms. During that four months period i had probably two weeks without any sleep and then i started seeking help. In march 2019 i started to sleep like 3 hours a night and it started to get better. Now my sleep has improved and i can sleep like 6 hours and sometimes 7 hours. I know its not the healthiest amount of sleep but its still significant improvement compared to sleep which i had before. And i know it will get better i just try to concertrate to things which make happy. i know how terrible it is when you lose your ability to think, concentrate and function normally.

Hello nipsu.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I have been living on one to three hours of sleep a night, on average, for maybe five or six months. Just last night, only 1/2 an hour. My situation is dire, to say the least.

You mention in the quoted post that after four months you sought help. Can I ask what that help looked like?

Thanks so much.

My previous drug history was confusing, so I deleted it in favour of the following summary, as best I can recall:

2017 - Jun 2019: olanzapine, dose erratic, ranging from 1.25 to 2.5mg per day.

2017 - Jun 2019: klonopin, dose erratic, ranging from 0.0625mg twice a day to 0.25mg twice a day.

2017 - Jun 2019: gabapentin, dose erratic, ranging from 200 to 300mg per day.

Date uncertain: Lamotrigine, small amount for two months, C/T.

Jun 2019: admitted to hospital after months of severe rage (which I am certain was caused by akathesia, but no doctor caught it). Doctors cold-turkeyed all drugs, I submitted to 10 courses of ECT, and was put on 50mg of seroquel at bedtime.

Jul 2019 - Feb 2020: reduced seroquel sporadically from 50mg to 18.75mg.

Apr 19, 2020: Reduced seroquel from 18.75mg to 16.5mg.

I asked help from my doctor and child welfare. Doctor sent me to psychologist and i started to talk about my past, feelings and sleep. I was in terrible condition mentally. I havent fully recovered yet because i still have brainfog. I dont know if brainfog is cause of poor sleep quality or is it because of something else (anxiety etc.?).

My doctor prescribed me 7.5 mg mirtazapine for insomnia after suffering from it 4-5 months (1-3 hours of sleep and somedays 0). It took about one month it to start working and help me sleep better (maybe it wasn't because of mirtazapine). When i started taking mirtazapine i also started working in part time job and i also went once a week to psychologist. I also got some support from child welfare. I chose that i don't want to live anymore in misery. Life is too short to be wasted. I started since then taking responsibility from my own well-being and work harder to make myself whole again. I avoid thinking about my sleep quality and i try to focus in positive things in my life. I belive that eventually my sleep will get better. I have to accept that i sleep poorly. I have had same concerns as RM123 when my sleep had none quality at all.

Winter-Spring 2011 (12 week usage of Chantix for quitting smoking)

April 2017 Lexapro 10 mg after 6 weeks, CT:ed  due to increased anxiety, insomnia and depression

April 2017 - November 2017 Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, CT:ed due serious allergic reaction

January 2019 Imovane (zopiclone) for insomnia, CT:ed after 1 month of use

March 2019 Mirtazapine 7.5 mg for insomnia, i tried to CT in October 2019 and tried fast taper December 2019  Withdrawal process started 10.01.2020 *Current dose 2.25 mg (27.02.2020)

January 2020 Started 09.01.2019 Trintellix 10 mg for depression, CT:ed 22.01.2019 Withdrawal process started 22.01.2020

Supplements: 

Extended release melatonin 0.95mg (one week pause after three weeks of administration) 

Vitamin D 100 mikrograms every morning

Magnesium 200 mg 

18 minutes ago, nipsu said:

I asked help from my doctor and child welfare. Doctor sent me to psychologist and i started to talk about my past, feelings and sleep. I was in terrible condition mentally. I havent fully recovered yet because i still have brainfog. I dont know if brainfog is cause of poor sleep quality or is it because of something else (anxiety etc.?).

My doctor prescribed me 7.5 mg mirtazapine for insomnia after suffering from it 4-5 months (1-3 hours of sleep and somedays 0). It took about one month it to start working and help me sleep better (maybe it wasn't because of mirtazapine). When i started taking mirtazapine i also started working in part time job and i also went once a week to psychologist. I also got some support from child welfare. I chose that i don't want to live anymore in misery. Life is too short to be wasted. I started since then taking responsibility from my own well-being and work harder to make myself whole again. I will never give up. 

Thank you, nipsu. I'm very happy to hear you've taken charge of your well-being.

My previous drug history was confusing, so I deleted it in favour of the following summary, as best I can recall:

2017 - Jun 2019: klonopin, dose erratic, ranging from 0.0625mg twice a day to 0.25mg twice a day.

Jun 2019: admitted to hospital after months of severe rage (which I am certain was caused by akathesia, but no doctor caught it). Doctors cold-turkeyed all drugs, I submitted to 10 courses of ECT, and was put on 50mg of seroquel at bedtime.

Hi RM123. I just read through this thread, and I'm very sorry to hear you are struggling so badly. I, too, am struggling with insomnia, like so many others. You're in 'good' company, for what that's worth.

I wish I had ideas for you, but I don't. The only thing I wanted to know is if you're taking a good quality magnesium and fish oil supplement. While they're not a magic bullet, they *may* take the edge off some of your physical symptoms. If nothing else, they can make you feel like you're doing something to help yourself. Worth a try...

Hi again, RM. Have you read through the Tips to help sleep thread, found here:

I recently posted a couple of links there that list some supplements/natural things you can try for insomnia. One of the links talks about melatonin, which I know you've tried already, but maybe in combination with the other things listed, it could help. Here are the links:

https://www.grc.com/health/sleep/healthy_sleep_formula.htm

https://www.treasuredtips.com/how-to-stay-asleep-all-night/

17 hours ago, nipsu said:

My doctor prescribed me 7.5 mg mirtazapine for insomnia after suffering from it 4-5 months (1-3 hours of sleep and somedays 0). It took about one month it to start working and help me sleep better (maybe it wasn't because of mirtazapine). When i started taking mirtazapine i also started working in part time job and i also went once a week to psychologist. I also got some support from child welfare. I chose that i don't want to live anymore in misery. Life is too short to be wasted. I started since then taking responsibility from my own well-being and work harder to make myself whole again. I avoid thinking about my sleep quality and i try to focus in positive things in my life. I belive that eventually my sleep will get better. I have to accept that i sleep poorly. I have had same concerns as RM123 when my sleep had none quality at all.

It’s unfortunate that I’m having withdrawal from mirtzapine. That might of helped me sleep again. I’m still struggling with sleep everyday. I’m happy for you. 

Really bad day today. I really don’t feel like living. I’m sick and tired of insomnia and everything that comes with this withdrawl 

Dear RM123

I'm sorry that you're going through such a long period of insomnia. I know that it is very hard to bear. 

I imagine you keep a record of your sleeping - can you see any slight improvement here or there? Perhaps a wave/window pattern emerging? 

From my own experience, a big improvement seemed to happen suddenly. I hope that you will turn a corner soon and things will get a lot better.

In the absence of sleep, try to get rest and gentle distractions. Some people on here have recovered from several drugs and sometimes at very high doses. It is just one drug for you and not one of the higher doses. I'm sure that is in your favour.

Also, when you are stable and ready to taper, you could maybe think about getting the liquid form of Mirtazapine. You get a 1ml syringe from Amazon (a large pack for about £3) and then it is easy to measure out your doses and reductions. It might be easier than the pill weighing method, although I understand you would need to cross taper from pills to liquid. Anyway, that's for down the line....

In the meantime, I hope things improve for you very soon.

Best wishes,

Ripley 

▪︎2000 - Seroxat (25mg?) 6 months C/T

▪︎2015 - 7.5mg Zopiclone 1 month C/T

▪︎ 2016 - 2018 - Diazapam and Phenergan occasionally for sleep

▪︎2017 June to Oct - Mirtazapine 7.5mg C/T

▪︎2018 April - 2019 Oct Mirtazapine 7.5mg tapered to 1.5mg.

▪︎2019 October - Mirtazapine 1.5mg (Skipped alternate doses on doctor's advice then stopped - Insomnia.) Phenergan

▪︎2020 Jan 6th - Mirtazapine 1.5mg

▪︎2020 Jan 13th - Mirtazapine 7.5mg

▪︎2020 - Feb - May, holding 7.5mg

▪︎2020 1st June, 7.35mg. 27 June, 7.2mg. 7 July, 7.05mg. 18 July, 6.9mg. 28 July, 6.75mg. 27 Aug, 6.6mg. 7 Sep, 6.45mg. 17 Sep, 6.6mg. Crash/Hold

▪︎2022 - 4 Feb, 6.45mg. 24 Mar, 6.3mg. 13 May, 6.15mg. 13 July, 6mg. 10 Aug, 5.85mg.

14 hours ago, RM123 said:

Really bad day today. I really don’t feel like living. I’m sick and tired of insomnia and everything that comes with this withdrawl 

I'm sorry you are going through this. insomnia is horrible  but your body will sleep and you will be OK, in time. no way to tell how much time! 

keep posting! 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• Administrator

Hello, are you still taking 7.5mg mirtazapine? What is your sleep schedule? What is your sleep pattern?

Are you taking any other drugs? Do you drink coffee or ingest other caffeine? Alcohol?

In general, how have your symptoms changed in the last month?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

7 hours ago, Ripley said:

Dear RM123

I'm sorry that you're going through such a long period of insomnia. I know that it is very hard to bear. 

I imagine you keep a record of your sleeping - can you see any slight improvement here or there? Perhaps a wave/window pattern emerging? 

From my own experience, a big improvement seemed to happen suddenly. I hope that you will turn a corner soon and things will get a lot better.

In the absence of sleep, try to get rest and gentle distractions. Some people on here have recovered from several drugs and sometimes at very high doses. It is just one drug for you and not one of the higher doses. I'm sure that is in your favour.

Also, when you are stable and ready to taper, you could maybe think about getting the liquid form of Mirtazapine. You get a 1ml syringe from Amazon (a large pack for about £3) and then it is easy to measure out your doses and reductions. It might be easier than the pill weighing method, although I understand you would need to cross taper from pills to liquid. Anyway, that's for down the line....

In the meantime, I hope things improve for you very soon.

Best wishes,

Ripley 

Thanks for your support. It’s torture. I’ve been keeping a diary since end of dec I haven’t seen any improvement. 

Sometimes I nod on and off the sofa for hrs getting 10-30mins at a time. Then I can’t sleep at night after that. 

Last couple night I don’t think I slept at all. 

I hope a big improvement comes as well.  I CT’d fluoxitine and mirt but reinstated mirt at 7.5mg. 

I’m breaking the pills in half so I’m not sure if I’m getting a consistent dose every time. I really don’t know how to crush the pills and make my own. It’s confusing to me.  I don’t know if I can access liquid mirt in the UK. what’s cross taper? I just want to jump off. 

4 hours ago, JackieDecides said:

I'm sorry you are going through this. insomnia is horrible  but your body will sleep and you will be OK, in time. no way to tell how much time! 

keep posting! 

Thanks for your reply and understanding. It’s is absolutely horrible. I don’t wish this on my worst enemy. 

I want my body to sleep now 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, RM123 said:

Sometimes I nod on and off the sofa for hrs getting 10-30mins at a time. Then I can’t sleep at night after that. 

What times of day does this happen? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

Do you use the computer at night? What is your sleep schedule? What time do you take mirtazapine?

Try to cut the tablet as equally as possible. You would have to ask your pharmacist if liquid mirtazapine is available to you. When you taper off, you'd use a liquid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, are you still taking 7.5mg mirtazapine? What is your sleep schedule? What is your sleep pattern?

Are you taking any other drugs? Do you drink coffee or ingest other caffeine? Alcohol?

In general, how have your symptoms changed in the last month?

Hi,

Yes I am.

My sleep scheldule was going to bed the same time every night and waking up the same time every morning. Sometimes it could take 10mins, 30mins, 1hr to fall asleep. I would sleep for 1-2hrs and be awake after that and lay in bed. I managed for a few of those weeks to get out of bed and go to the lounge to prevent my brain from thinking my bedroom was a space for no sleep. 

Some nights it may be the same as above but I manage to get back to sleep for 30mins and no more, lay in bed. 

Lately I have been falling asleep on and off the sofa from anywhere from 7pm-2am for 15-30mins at a time. Very broken. I was able to get to bed after that and sleep for an hr or so but not anymore. 

I don’t drink any caffeine or rake any other drugs. I’m thinking if smoking CBD. 

I started taking melatonin first at .3mg then .6mg the 1mg, then 1.3mg, 1.6mg, 2mg, 2.6mg and doesn’t seem to help. Thinking of adding Niacinamide as posted above. 

I also take mag gly worked up from 100 to 400mg. I take 200mg before bed. 

My symptoms changed as I started bloating. Also ectopic heartbeats which I think have gone away. It’s just sleep is not getting any better 

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, RM123 said:

I’m breaking the pills in half so I’m not sure if I’m getting a consistent dose every time. I really don’t know how to crush the pills and make my own. It’s confusing to me. 

I assume you're breaking 15mg pills in half.

To get a consistent dose, you can order an AWS Gemini-20 scale from Amazon. Weight 10 pills to get an average weight.  That will be the weight you use.  Let's say, for example, the average weight is 150mg.  So what you want is half of 150, which is 75mg. Cut your pill in half and weigh it.  If it weighs too much, use a knife to scrape off a little until your pill weighs 75mg.  Save what you scraped off in a pill bottle to use for other doses.  If the pill you're weighing weighs too little, scrape a little off the other half and add it to the pill you're weighing until the pill you're weighing weighs 75mg.  You can put what you scraped into a size 00 gelatin capsule to take it.  Gelatin capsules are also available on Amazon.

The GEMINI-20 Scale

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RM123 said:

I’m thinking if smoking CBD. 

Please clarify.

Do you use the computer at night?

I need to see TIMES OF DAY (o'clock) attached to your symptom pattern, in daily notes.

5 minutes ago, RM123 said:

Lately I have been falling asleep on and off the sofa from anywhere from 7pm-2am for 15-30mins at a time. Very broken.

^This appears to be a recent small improvement.

It appears you're not getting enough sleep -- I very much sympathize -- but it's not absolute and appears to be repairing. We expect very gradual improvement in withdrawal syndrome, over weeks or months.

I need to see those daily notes, including sleep pattern and when you take melatonin. Please post them in this topic, at least 24 hours at a time.

3 minutes ago, RM123 said:

My symptoms changed as I started bloating. Also ectopic heartbeats which I think have gone away. It’s just sleep is not getting any better 

How's the bloating? If irregular heartbeats have gone away, that's an improvement, correct? How did this symptom resolve?

21 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What times of day does this happen? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

Do you use the computer at night? What is your sleep schedule? What time do you take mirtazapine?

Try to cut the tablet as equally as possible. You would have to ask your pharmacist if liquid mirtazapine is available to you. When you taper off, you'd use a liquid.

Lately I have been falling asleep on and off the sofa from anywhere from 7pm-2am for 15-30mins at a time. It could be from 9pm-1am or 8pm-1135pm etc. 

I don’t think my symptoms follow any daily pattern. Maybe when I eat I bloat.  Tbh it’s too much for me to keep track of right now. I really can’t keep up with anything in life. I keep a daily sleep diary but even that gives me anxiety and I forget how much I slept or when I woke up the next morning. Doing this would cause me extreme anxiety. I clicked on the link but it doesn’t work. I wouldn’t even know how to write it all down. 

I’m in University and my work is struggling because of this insomnia causing me cognitive issue. I can’t think or concentrate like used to. I can’t problem solve. It’s really ruined my life. 

Therefore I have to use my computer at night because of school work. But I make sure no blue light 1hr before bed. 

I’m cutting the tablet as equally as possible. But sometimes it difficult. I wonder if that’s affecting my sleep even more. It’s make me want to just jump off. I don’t know if a taper would be suitable now if I can’t sleep.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, RM123 said:

Tbh it’s too much for me to keep track of right now.

Since daily notes are our main way of getting information for an educated guess, if you can't supply them, our ability to help is limited. You have to help us to help you.

You appear to be slowly recovering in the usual frustrating pattern that's normal for withdrawal syndrome recovery. If you're unable to supply daily notes, you'll have to be patient and let nature take its course.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.