Psychiatric drugs toxicity - permanent damage?

tanit

• Administrator

All of that, and you might also reflect on how taking Lexapro irregularly may have caused the symptoms that you attribute to your mental illness. If you wish to maintain that identity, that's your choice.

But we're about unpatienting yourself and getting better, not encouraging the attitude of victimhood that brought about the initiation of this very self-defeating and, in my opinion, destructive topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator
On 2/8/2015 at 7:07 AM, Addax said:

Your heading is misleading. Persistence is not perminence. Additionally, SSRIs and the side effects, including the PSSD that the article you posted is discussing, have not been studied long enough to conclude permanence, particularly in humans.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

40 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

All of that, and you might also reflect on how taking Lexapro irregularly may have caused the symptoms that you attribute to your mental illness. If you wish to maintain that identity, that's your choice.

But we're about unpatienting yourself and getting better, not encouraging the attitude of victimhood that brought about the initiation of this very self-defeating and, in my opinion, destructive topic.

I would say being put on medications without having the side effects properly explained to me, plus anybody in my circle of support noticing I was having a manic breakdown doing nothing but pushing me back on the medication that wasn't working, which most likely caused an adverse reaction, something that differs from person to person, makes me a victim to some extent. I was forced into the psych system at 16 years old against my will with a hospitalization. They put me on anti-psychotics at first. Nobody ever really cared about my input.

I made plenty of mistakes myself, but it's not like everybody else did their best here.

36 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Your heading is misleading. Persistence is not perminence. Additionally, SSRIs and the side effects, including the PSSD that the article you posted is discussing, have not been studied long enough to conclude permanence, particularly in humans.

How do you account for people still having problems years later, as in 5-10 years after? It differs from person to person, but I've encountered people who truly do not improve. I hope they do someday, as nobody deserves this, but is the explanation there that it just takes longer for them than others?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

• Administrator

Yes, everyone is doing their best here.

If you look around you, you will see 16,000 other members who were similarly misled. You have not been singled out.

I do not pretend to explain every case of protracted withdrawal. I did, however, co-author a paper on it 

Hengartner, M. P., Schulthess, L., Sorensen, A., & Framer, A. (2020). Protracted withdrawal syndrome after stopping antidepressants: A descriptive quantitative analysis of consumer narratives from a large internet forum. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. https://doi.org/10.1177/2045125320980573

I have may years experience with protracted withdrawal myself.

If you would like to see peer support elsewhere, there are groups on Facebook. There are also patientslikeme.com and depressionforums.org where you can find support as a psychiatric patient.

• Administrator

Since this topic has annoyed me from the very start and is not consistent with the mission of this site, I am closing it to responses now.

There is a vast Internet and many, many places where people can vent about their sense of victimization. People do not need that to do that here.

• Altostrata locked this topic