What to forward on to Psychiatrist.

Katy398

Hi,

TIME LIMIT, NEED HELP TO PASS ON INFO IN NEXT 48HR 

I  met with a psychiatrist and briefly discussed the changes to the NICE guidelines this year in an attempt to get her onboard with the changing views on withdrawal/ ‘discontinuation. She has asked me to email her links!!!!

I need to be succinct and to the point. I don’t think we’re at the stage of the Ashton Manual tapering guidelines yet. It’s going to have to be about withdrawal actually existing rather than relapse.

I can’t find a detailed article about the NICE guidelines from an authority she is likely to accept. The BJM requires membership Madinamerica  title may put her off. I told her my concern was that this is a new  area of concern,  that is only just emerging in the medical profession.  Then I  mentioned the changes to the NICE guidelines. She then gave me her email. I don’t want to put her off with social media. I have a time limit my next visit is Christmas Eve!

I’m looking for reputable, succinct,  high impact info. Any ideas?

Thank you 

K

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Sounds like she was actually listening to you which is great. For every medical professional ive encountered over the last few years (except one doctor) i have come up against a wall of denial every time i bring up discontinuation syndrome. It's always the anxiety is making you feel that things are worse than what they are blah blah.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

Hi Katy398,

Are you looking for scientific papers here or other forms of documentation? There are a few recent publications that refer to the fact the NICE Guidelines are being rewritten, but it is only cursory references?

Also, I have a number of document that I downloaded from the NICE web site because I applied to be a lay member of the committee creating the new guidelines. I did not progress. Nonetheless, I still have the documents relating to the scope and reviews of the scope. I can email them to you if you message me your email address.

Cheers

Caspur

2011 - started Venlafaxine (again) at 75mg Raised to 150 mg at some point - unsure of dates. Reduced back down to 75 mg. Doctor advised this would be a lifetime, maintenance dose

2017 - Side effects now intolerable. Started taper from June 15th - 5% dose reduction steps (two 12 hourly doses).

2017 - October 20th - took last dose of Venlafaxine - 4 mg. Debilitating symptoms followed.

2017/18 - diazepam - 8mg/day for 1 month - 7 week taper Feb 2018

2017/18 - duloxetine - max 90mg - now stopped

2018 - Feb 25mg quetiapine, increased to 50mg.

2018 - March/April - increased venlafaxine slowly (10mg steps) to 75 mg/day. Recovery from withdrawal followed.

2018 - July 13 - stopped quetiapine after 2 month taper. Late July - had to reinstate quetiapine due to intolerable withdrawal. Now tapering from 25mg

2019 - June - stopped quetiapine after 10 month taper. Mild insomnia only symptom.

2021 - June - venlafaxine approx 6.0 mg see Taper history details

• Administrator

The NICE guidelines haven't been updated yet. There is a working group for them.

Royal College of Psychiatrists has issued new guidance: https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/news-and-features/latest-news/detail/2019/05/29/rcpsych-calls-on-nice-to-update-its-antidepressant-withdrawal-advice

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don’t understand what does this mean then? Dated Oct 2019

“The guidance on treating depression in adults now states that withdrawal symptoms may be severe and protracted in some patients.” BMJ

https://www.bmj.com/content/367/bmj.l6103

“The NHS watchdog NICE has re-written advice on how doctors should treat adult depression, making it clear that coming off the pills can cause long-lasting symptoms.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7560805/Antidepressants-cause-severe-effects-lasting-months-health-bosses-admit-time.html

I’m so confused.

K

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

https://iipdw.org/uk-national-institute-for-health-and-care-excellence-nice-updates-antidepressant-withdrawal-guidance/

But in an amendment, NICE acknowledges that “there is substantial variation in people’s experience, with symptoms lasting much longer (sometimes months or more) and being more severe for some patients.”

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/nice-amends-depression-guideline-highlighting-severe-and-long-lasting-withdrawal-symptoms/20207226.article

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Alto this is a quote from you

‘The United Kingdom's medical treatment arbiter National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) just revised its guidelines for the use of antidepressants to treat depression.”

“The amendment, dated September 2019, clarifies that there can be “substantial variation in people’s experience” and that symptoms can persist for months or more and be “more severe for some patients”.

Last dose end Dec 2018