mstimc

Working with Anxiety and Withdrawal

mstimc

I'm curious to know what you all think about working while dealing with anxiety and/or withdrawal.  For me, it was a double-edged sword.  I had a technical managerial position as a public-sector manager, so a lot of the work demanded my attention, leaving less mental space for anxious thoughts.  It was also a facet of my life I could, to some degree, control, which channeled my OCD in a positive and constructive way.  So in that way, it was somewhat therapeutic. 

On the other hand, my anxiety, especially during withdrawal, led me to catastrophic thinking; that every mistake would mean I'd be fired and I was covering up my imagined incompetence.  (I actually won an award for superior performance during withdrawal, so I know it was just my negative thoughts).  So there were also days I feared going to work.

What are you views of working with anxiety and withdrawal?

sunnysideup69

For me, it has also been therapeutic. Luckily, before I crashed in 2018, I had already gone to part time, that has been a blessing. I get where you're coming from re catastrophic thinking, I'm more susceptible to stress at work and have to make sure I get lots of rest at home. 

It is difficult on bad days, for sure. I teach kids, some days that distracts me from my negative thinking, but some days when WD is bad, I feel less patient and have to really work to not let it affect my relationships with them. 

To be honest though, it's mostly the other adults who drive me insane. 

mstimc
29 minutes ago, sunnysideup69 said:

For me, it has also been therapeutic. Luckily, before I crashed in 2018, I had already gone to part time, that has been a blessing. I get where you're coming from re catastrophic thinking, I'm more susceptible to stress at work and have to make sure I get lots of rest at home. 

It is difficult on bad days, for sure. I teach kids, some days that distracts me from my negative thinking, but some days when WD is bad, I feel less patient and have to really work to not let it affect my relationships with them. 

To be honest though, it's mostly the other adults who drive me insane. 

I admire your dedication, Sunnyside.  We have a son but kids in large groups have always given me the jitters!

sunnysideup69
8 minutes ago, mstimc said:

I admire your dedication, Sunnyside.  We have a son but kids in large groups have always given me the jitters!

😂 Yes, they can be a bit hair raising at times!