Supplements That Interfere with Antidepressants

Jemima

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's a list and descriptions of supplements that can interfere with prescription meds, antidepressants among them:

http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-04-2012/hidden-dangers-of-supplements-slideshow.html

It looks like Melatonin and Ginseng are to be avoided when tapering, along with a third supplement I've already forgotten.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

From the (very slow-loading) slideshow:

Melatonin

Used for insomnia, it can reduce the effectiveness of antidepressant, antianxiety and blood pressure meds. It can increase bleeding risk if you’re on a blood-thinner.

I'll be danged if I know what this means re antidepressants.

I don't believe there's a problem taking small amounts of melatonin during tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the link....good to know

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

From the (very slow-loading) slideshow:

Melatonin

Used for insomnia, it can reduce the effectiveness of antidepressant, antianxiety and blood pressure meds. It can increase bleeding risk if you’re on a blood-thinner.

I'll be danged if I know what this means re antidepressants.

I don't believe there's a problem taking small amounts of melatonin during tapering.

I think it means, if you're tapering, that Melatonin will lessen the effect of the antidepressant: therefore, more of a taper than one had planned, at least temporarily.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

No, I don't believe that's so.

The slide is saying melatonin interferes with the antidepressant effect of antidepressants. Probably referring to depressive symptoms if you take too much melatonin -- which we all know not to do!

But we don't know exactly what the heck they're talking about because they simply do not give enough information.

Melatonin is very helpful in counteracting the sleeplessness caused by withdrawal. I've personally had excellent results with it, for several years. It's long been known and recommended in discussions about withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Well, I took a look at the page and it's from AARP, which may be a terrific organization dont get me wrong, but has a broad charter. It's not a scientific or medical authority.

Maybe, I dunno. Maybe, they simply extrapolated from the metabolism of serotonin from tryptophan, also the precursor for melatonin as I nderstand it, and came up with this precaution based on a guess that supplemental melatonin would result in greater 5-ht production. I dunno. I'm not a doctor or scientist.

Of course things that interfere with any psych med do not necessarily affect its w/d process, especially long after last dose. And vice-versa. IMO.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Does anyone know if rhodiola interacts with ADs.

My naturopath recommended I take it but not sure if it might be the cause of the terrible headaches I have been getting lately.

Thanks,

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

I do not know.

But someone else may be familiar with it? Did you try the Univ Maryland alt health website?

- Zimmerman

Central nervous system (CNS) activity of R. rosea has been reported. 12 Earlier studies found that low to medium doses of the plant had stimulatory effects while larger doses had sedative effects. 2 In lower doses, R. rosea stimulated norepinephrine, dopamine, serotonin, and nicotinic cholinergic systems in the CNS. R. rosea also appears to increase the permeability of the blood-brain barrier to precursors of dopamine and serotonin 36 , 37 , 38 and also appears to improve cerebral circulation. 39

http://www.drugs.com/npp/rhodiola.html

Since this herb may affect quantities of serotonin (and other hormones) in the brain I would advise caution. I don't give medical advice, I'm not a doctor, but I would definitely raise this concern with a licensed health professional.

Alex

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Rosie, rhodiola can be activating, particularly at low doses. I had a terrible reaction to it.

Naturopaths don't know any more than doctors about how to deal with ADs or withdrawal. Please stop taking preparations that are supposed to fix you.

Thank you Alex and Alto!

I will stop taking it.

Rosie

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Alto, I am curious, what was your reaction to rhodiola?

Also, is chlorella ok to take or is this too stimulating.

Hugs,

Rosie

• Administrator

Terrible anxiety surges and blood pressure spikes, Rosie.

thanks. What do you know about chlorella?

• Administrator

I just Googled it.

You can eat green foods, spirulina, etc. if you want. It may or may not be good for you. I've never heard it helping withdrawal symptoms per se.

thanks Alto, I was more interested in taking it for energy.

:rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

To my knowledge, chlorella is used for removing toxic metals from the body, which wouldn't be of help in withdrawal. I've never heard that it causes an increase in energy, but if it does, it may be over-stimulating. I'd avoid it for now.

ok; thanks Jemima!

• 3 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Studies have shown that the weight loss supplement garcinia cambogia increases serotonin levels, acting like a mild SSRI, so this should not be taken while using an SSRI or while tapering.

Various in vivo studies have contributed to the understanding of the anti-obesity effects of Garcinia/hydroxycitric acid via regulation of serotonin level and glucose uptake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3748738/

...studies on people and animals have shown that Garcinia cambogia may, indeed, increase serotonin levels. And taking the supplement in combination with antidepressants known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which also cause serotonin levels to rise, could lead to serotonin toxicity, said Hendrickson, a toxicologist at the Department of Emergency Medicine of Oregon Health and Sciences University.

http://www.livescience.com/45146-garcinia-cambogia-serotonin-toxicity.html

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy