SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dr. Paula J. Caplan invites patients, providers to join DSM complaint

Altostrata

• Administrator

Want the APA to know about how you were injured by psychiatric diagnosis?

Dr. Caplan is asking that other patients and PROVIDERS add to the a complaint she is going to make to the APA ethics committee about DSM diagnosis and how it hurts people -- see

http://www.psychologytoday.com/comment_redirect/228770

pcaplan has commented on: "Patients Harmed by Diagnosis Find Their Voices"

Subject: anyone interested in filing an ethics complaint

If you have been directly harmed because of psych diagnosis (not JUST by drugs -- there is a huge array of kinds of harm, we know) OR if a loved one has OR if you are a professional who has seen the harm first had and/or hates being caught in a system that requires use of psych diagnosis, you may file a

complaint. Since this has not been done before, as far as we know, there is no way of knowing the likely outcome.

There is no "complaints procedure" yet. I have to be very careful about what I post publicly, but anyone interested in filing a complaint should email me through the contact form on this page for me, and I will reply privately if

you send your email address.

The contact form is at http://www.psychologytoday.com/experts/paula-j-caplan-phd

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Great post on Dr. Caplan's article, Jemima. Your story is a classic in the dangers of leaping to a psychiatric diagnosis.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Great post on Dr. Caplan's article, Jemima. Your story is a classic in the dangers of leaping to a psychiatric diagnosis.

Thanks, Alto. Dr. Caplan has been in touch and I will be filing a complaint as soon as she's ready.

Frankly, I'd like to bring the entire 'profession' of psychiatry down. It has never been anything but voo-doo (or doo-doo) and I doubt that it ever will be different. I had the great good luck to begin my career as a therapist young, stupid, and radical enough to disbelieve nearly everything I read in the DSM III. It seemed to poor uneducated me (I got my first job as an art therapist by virtue of having a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree) that most of what was described therein was merely a description of somewhat exaggerated normal behavior. I also had the great good luck to meet several incompetent psychiatrists, one of whom was Freudian to the point of caricature and another who was mostly drunk on the job. I consider it a great blessing that I learned early on not to trust any of them.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

I know exactly what you mean!

Thanks, Alto. Dr. Caplan has been in touch and I will be filing a complaint as soon as she's ready.

Frankly, I'd like to bring the entire 'profession' of psychiatry down. It has never been anything but voo-doo (or doo-doo) and I doubt that it ever will be different. I had the great good luck to begin my career as a therapist young, stupid, and radical enough to disbelieve nearly everything I read in the DSM III. It seemed to poor uneducated me (I got my first job as an art therapist by virtue of having a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree) that most of what was described therein was merely a description of somewhat exaggerated normal behavior. I also had the great good luck to meet several incompetent psychiatrists, one of whom was Freudian to the point of caricature and another who was mostly drunk on the job. I consider it a great blessing that I learned early on not to trust any of them.

I loved this post, Jemima. And, I have to say, distrust of psychiatry is probably a top five most useful blessing. Also, don't discount your own instincts. I had an incompentent therapist and a psychiatrist who was injecting himself with everything under the sun on the job, and I didn't develop my mistrust for a long time. You would actually probably make a good therapist, though I doubt you're interested, with your insight into people based on your experience with people rather than Freudian theories or horribly corrupted studies. We need good therapsist with all the misunderstood people who will be getting off their unproductive medications in the coming years... New career for Jemima??

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I loved this post, Jemima. And, I have to say, distrust of psychiatry is probably a top five most useful blessing. Also, don't discount your own instincts. I had an incompentent therapist and a psychiatrist who was injecting himself with everything under the sun on the job, and I didn't develop my mistrust for a long time. You would actually probably make a good therapist, though I doubt you're interested, with your insight into people based on your experience with people rather than Freudian theories or horribly corrupted studies. We need good therapsist with all the misunderstood people who will be getting off their unproductive medications in the coming years... New career for Jemima??

Alex

Thanks for all the kind words, Alex. To my knowledge, there are very few jobs for therapists in my area and I'm not willing to take on a private practice. I was also away from the field for twenty years being a CPA, which makes it very difficult to get back in.

I'm not sure what's next now that I'm pretty much over withdrawal, except for decluttering and organizing my house (which got away from me during my stressful and time-consuming career as an auditor), a lot of gardening, and probably some volunteer work at a homeless mission in the city.

I *think* I'd like to become a published writer of non-fiction articles, but that can get awfully strenuous. I spent four hours one day (before withdrawal) writing something rather intensely and suddenly realized why Stephen King had become an alcoholic. Writing is quite draining.

One thing I learned from withdrawal is to take it one day at a time. That's not to say that goals shouldn't be set, but that setbacks and side trips are inevitable, and sometimes the goal itself needs to be changed.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.