☼ Rhiannon's intro (by Rhi)

Rhiannon

Hi, Rhiannon,

Thank you for sharing your story. Criminal is indeed what this is - my expression is 'some people should go to jail' .

So you used to sing? Did you do this before an audience? I like to sing but can't carry a tune. Truly. ;) At birthday parties I am asked to sing.  I know a good thing when I hear it - so that is something. HIgh School and College were difficult for me as well - I read extremely slowly - comprehension and retention require a lot of time and mental energy- this is partly driven by short-term memory, partly by visual difficulty (really blurry vision - almost double vision) and exacerbated by the CNS meds. Seizure meds are a requirement but the ADs make everything worse. 

I am not living the life I would like - even reading (I love books) and writing are difficult - but I try to make the most and be grateful. I tell myself that so many people have it worse than me. My life didn't turn out the way I  wanted / tried.

43 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

I was so desperate but I thought the only thing keeping me above water was the meds so I didn't think about them rationally. And honestly, at that time I had no idea about slow tapering, so every time I tried to reduce or quit a med I got so sick

I know the feeling - same here - and for most of us I think too. One doesn't work, has unacceptable side effects, etc. So - it is  stopped (or 'tapered') for another drug - or stopped altogether. Then a few months later we feel terrible so we get another one.  It is a vicious cycle.

For me this roller coaster begain with a bad ending to a not so great relationship - along with a difficult job - in a stressful time of the year - December. 

You are so right. Big pharma (and biotechs!) have a lot to answer for - and they never can atone.  Drug development for profit is not a good business model.

Sorry about your IBS flare up. I hope you feel better soon.

I woke up thinking of you  - and that what has been told to me many times - is so true - that we march forward. We don't look back. We live in the present with a postive eye to the future.  I remind myself of this frequently.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Guilietta said:

I woke up thinking of you  - and that what has been told to me many times - is so true - that we march forward. We don't look back. We live in the present with a postive eye to the future.  I remind myself of this frequently.

Thank you.  I also remind myself of this. I mean, I have to balance it with grieving the past, because that's part of the process, too. But forward is the only direction we can go, really.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

4 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

I have to balance it with grieving the past, because that's part of the process, too.

Well said. It is a balancing act between an unpleasant experience in our past - and the present and future we build for ourselves using lessons from the past - and that if we can do that - we can do nearly anything....  :)

• Mentor
12 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

Thank you.  I also remind myself of this. I mean, I have to balance it with grieving the past, because that's part of the process, too. But forward is the only direction we can go, really.

Agree. The looking back stuff has been a very, very frequent struggle for me. Some of it is aging and wishing I'd had a different kind of life (I say that so casually! 😥), and some of it is due to the lost years on the drugs. A lot of my pain is around social issues and feelings of isolation. This was even before the drugs--it has been a lifelong area of pain for me. What helped me today as I was ruminating over this, was to think, "What is wrong with this moment, right now?" Well, it was a fine moment in itself, and nothing was wrong with it!

For me, this pain easily reaches an exaggerated level. It has to do a lot with how I assign meaning to my experience. If I tell myself "I've lived a lonely life and I've failed socially," obviously I'm going to feel bad. Anyway...I'm sure you already know that kind of thing...I just wanted to say that the question above helped me jump out of the story and into the moment. And, to know that you're not alone. For me, that's one of the only things that makes this bearable: that we're not alone.

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Loneliness and isolation are the things I struggle with the most. It's gotten easier to connect with people since I've come down on the citalopram, but I still have to be the one to reach out, because I don't have a lot of family at all, and none here in the town where I live. I really hear you on that one.

And thank you for reminding me to focus on the moment. That is helpful for me, too. 

I have piles of paperwork that I have been avoiding, and there are a couple of people I have been needing to call which I am also avoiding. I wonder if just focusing on the moment would make those things seem less impossible to overcome.

I have been thinking lately that maybe I will take a break from tapering next year. It will be ten years in February since I officially started tapering (I was reducing before that but not in a really organized way). I have come such a long way since then--I have a big, full life and I'm fairly stable most of the time and financially I am much better off, poor but with a savings account and some credit towards Social Security now which I didn't have ten years ago. But I was hoping to be off all the meds long before now, and that hasn't happened. It looks like I'll be tapering for many more years at this very slow, creeping rate that works for me and allows me to stay functional. I'm wondering what would happen if I just didn't taper for a year. Would I feel better? Worse? The same?

I don't really know if I have the willpower to stop tapering, I hate these drugs so much. But I might be able to make the taper slower. Last couple of years I was pushing it a bit too hard, first the Xanax which I tried to come off about a year ago and then had to reinstate in December, and then the citalopram after that which I stopped in June and had to reinstate in August. I will definitely be going slower with those. I'm down to such low doses I don't really notice any effect from them unless I try to quit altogether, so there's no real harm in continuing to taper them as long as I take it slow enough.

Oh well, it's all speculation now, I'm holding for the time being until my sleep normalizes. Everything else is tolerable. 

What part of California do you live in? My daughter's husband's family is all in Southern Cal, his father teaches at UCLA.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

1 hour ago, Rhiannon said:

Loneliness and isolation are the things I struggle with the most.

I know what you mean. Loneliness is a big issue - and not just for us - but society in general.

I do a lot of things by myself - and know others who do - and I wish I had others to do them with. Most of my friends (better as acquaintances I think!) are busy with their own lives (partners, families, etc.) so all their time not working is spent with them.

I am trying to cultivate friendships - and looking where there are others who want to make friends - is a place to start I think. And part of this might be what type(s) of people do we enjoy to be with? I honestly don't know where this might be. I am exploring churches now - and don't know if I might meet some nice people that way. Being 'social' takes a lot of energy for me and I do have some social anxiety.

Have you found anything that helps with building friendships and meeting others?

2 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

I'm holding for the time being until my sleep normalizes. Everything else is tolerable. 

That's a good idea. Even a break for a few months while you decide what you would like to do. Taking a hiatus means delaying the 0 mg point.

How do you cope/tolerate the jitters/shakes? Do you experience them?

I have piles of paperwork that I have been avoiding

Me too. I am working this morning, and then have a meeting, and then I am going to spend 1 hour tackling paperwork. It won't be enough to get it all done, but it is a start.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Rhiannon

I just read your topic and...wouah, what a journey!! You seem To have an incredibly strong mind!!! I'm so impressed!!!

I wish you all my best!

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, Rhiannon said:

I have been thinking lately that maybe I will take a break from tapering next year. It will be ten years in February since I officially started tapering (I was reducing before that but not in a really organized way). I have come such a long way since then--I have a big, full life and I'm fairly stable most of the time and financially I am much better off, poor but with a savings account and some credit towards Social Security now which I didn't have ten years ago. But I was hoping to be off all the meds long before now, and that hasn't happened. It looks like I'll be tapering for many more years at this very slow, creeping rate that works for me and allows me to stay functional. I'm wondering what would happen if I just didn't taper for a year. Would I feel better? Worse? The same?

I don't really know if I have the willpower to stop tapering, I hate these drugs so much. But I might be able to make the taper slower. Last couple of years I was pushing it a bit too hard, first the Xanax which I tried to come off about a year ago and then had to reinstate in December, and then the citalopram after that which I stopped in June and had to reinstate in August. I will definitely be going slower with those. I'm down to such low doses I don't really notice any effect from them unless I try to quit altogether, so there's no real harm in continuing to taper them as long as I take it slow enough.

Oh well, it's all speculation now, I'm holding for the time being until my sleep normalizes. Everything else is tolerable. 

This poignant passage has stayed with me and I will respond directly soon.

For now: I had suggested to another member/fellow researcher extraordinaire that she read your ponderings about holding a year. She did and just said: "Going to follow Rhiannon more. Her thread is uplifting even when she is talking about something serious or sad."  It is. A bright spot for us who have made it our aim to laugh amid this craziness. We do laugh, and you do help, so thank you. 

Happy Sunday to a place I almost but didn't quite reach when I was covering food and wine from Mendocino to Oregon (oh, the pinot noirs of Willamette Valley.....). 

Truly sweet, the landscape there 🏕️.

* Fluoxetine: 40 mg 1999-2012; 60 mg 2012-March 2019;  45.2 mg at present.

* Provigil: 25-100 mg PRN 2005 to mid-2015; 200-300 mg mid-2015 to early 2016; tapered from 300 mg in early 2016 to 100 mg early 2017; tapered from 100 mg early 2017 to 33 mg June 15, 2019;  8.9 mg at present.

* Amitriptyline: 10-15 mg 2002-2013; 25 mg 2014 to December 5, 2018; December 15, 2018 converted to water suspension and tapered to 16.5 mg at present

* Diazepam: 5 mg at night 2002-present

Supplements: Iron for anemia

Recent tapering timeline:

2019:  Fluoxetine 60 mg        Provigil 33.5 mg      Amitriptyline 25 mg   Diazepam 5 mg

2022:          45.2 mg                      8.9 mg                     16.5 mg                        5 mg

Back Story: From 2012 thru early 2017, relocated and cycled through over 20 primary and psych docs (supposedly for severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) who prescribed two dozen different psych meds in search of the "perfect therapeutic combo." Took most for only a few days, some for a week. Included Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Seroquel, Lamictal, Klonopin, Lyrica, Gabapentin, Belsomra, Tramadol, Librium, Halcyon, Remeron and -- the last straw, Trintellix. Began in early 2016 when it was still called Brintellix (Pharma's attempt to combine the words "brilliance" and "intelligence" in a pill name), became unable to eat or sleep, lost 25 lbs and the ability to speak. Slowly tapered myself back to Prozac by 2017 but was unable to stop akathisia, cortisol mornings and kindling which continue, actively, through present.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:51 PM, bubbles said:

then I am going to spend 1 hour tackling paperwork. It won't be enough to get it all done, but it is a start.

Whoa! What's your secret method  Maybe you can do mine afterward ?  :)

When I can't kekekp up with it - I put it all in a covered box because it accrues faster than I handle it! When I need something I can always look in the box. Or if in one year I haven't used it - I can toss it....tip from a man I know who has OCD. So far it's been working. :)

• Mentor
On 9/25/2019 at 9:32 AM, Rhiannon said:

Loneliness and isolation are the things I struggle with the most. It's gotten easier to connect with people since I've come down on the citalopram, but I still have to be the one to reach out, because I don't have a lot of family at all, and none here in the town where I live. I really hear you on that one.

And thank you for reminding me to focus on the moment. That is helpful for me, too. 

I have piles of paperwork that I have been avoiding, and there are a couple of people I have been needing to call which I am also avoiding. I wonder if just focusing on the moment would make those things seem less impossible to overcome.

I'm wondering what would happen if I just didn't taper for a year. Would I feel better? Worse? The same?

What part of California do you live in? My daughter's husband's family is all in Southern Cal, his father teaches at UCLA.

Rhi,

I just saw this. If you tag me I will be sure to see it sooner. I am in Northern CA. I grew up in Southern CA then left and didn't go back. It's too crowded down there for me.

It is reassuring to know that you find it easier to reach out now than you did before. Maybe it will get easier for me too. I have a hard time thinking I may be plodding along in this or a similar state for years. The thing lacking in my life is relationships, people, and activities. And novelty and creativity. Well, you get the idea. There's a bit lacking, but I'm working on it. A therapist once told me that your quality of life depends on the quality of your relationships. I find that to be very true. And it makes me sad because I don't have a lot of relationships. And the one with yours truly is a little rocky at times, to say the least! :lol:

Yes, it's tough with the things that I procrastinate. Sometimes it helps me to just say, 'ok, I'm just going to go pick up this piece of paper and look at it.' After I do that, usually I do more. The hardest part is getting started. So many times I take my dogs out and say I'm only going to the corner with them, and then end up going around the block.

Re not tapering, that is an excellent question. It is begging to be answered, but it's a big ask, isn't it. You could always do a 6 month hold, then decide whether to continue it. I feel that I may benefit from extending my hold right now but like you I hate the drugs and want to be on the move. It's been about 2 months or so since I made a cut. I was planning to cut this Friday but I may wait a little while longer, will have to see.

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi!

Just passing by To tell you I hope you enjoyed your weekend with your family! 

😚

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you all for your lovely comments and your support. It means SO MUCH! I had a very busy weekend with family. It was super delightful to spend time with my daughters and granddaughter.

The day at the coast was perfect, the weather was a mix of shifting clouds, occasional spatter of rain, then sunshine.  It was the first time I have been to the coast with my granddaughter, and it was really fun to see how much she loves the beach and playing in the waves. She's a sensitive kid with some sensory issues who usually gets pretty upset if her clothes get something spilled on them, but while playing at the beach she was wet and covered with sand and she didn't even notice while she laughed and skipped and chased the waves. (Once we started to get her cleaned up and changed, she suddenly noticed and was upset, but calmed down quickly once she got dry clothes on.) My younger daughter was there too, the auntie, and I don't get to see her very often. So it was just an enchanted day for me.

There is nothing in the world that makes me happier than they do. I have to admit however that it was nice to come back home to my own bed last night, particularly since I'm still not sleeping as well as I'd like.

There were some intense moments, my daughter and son-in-law needed to discuss some things with me that were difficult for all of us, but I think we got through it all pretty gracefully. I am so grateful that nowadays even when I have painful emotions, they don't derail me and throw me into a spiral any more. I have been getting therapy again, which is helpful, but most of it is because my brain is no longer so disabled and warped by the drugs. I feel emotions more intensely than when I was on high doses of meds, but I seem to be able to feel them and then move through them. And I seem to be able to see the positive side of things even when I'm sad, that there is always hope, lots of it. In fact I would have to say I am more positive and optimistic than I can remember being since before I ever took the first dose of an SSRI. Ironic, isn't it?

I have four more days of vacation. Today I am mostly going to stay home and start prepping my bathroom for painting, which I am optimistically planning to actually do this week, or at least begin. Tomorrow I will be going to visit some friends. I may try to see if I can get a last minute massage appointment. Other than that I don't have much planned. Ordinarily I would plan more, but I have really been feeling like I need a lot of unstructured time lately. It's tricky because the way my life is that also means a lot of time alone, which isn't great for me. We will see how it goes.

Anyway, thanks again for all your lovely, supportive comments my friends!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi 

So glad To read you had a "delightful " time! This is so great!

So did you go in the water??? 😊

I'm also glad that you managed To accept your émotions. Actually, I do believe that we all lie in our life..by not expressing what we Feel or who we are.

It is really hard To learn To be honest and express feelings without meaning To hurt the other. And also hard To learn To listen and receive other's feelings. 

Honest talk is also healing I think :)

Bravo for Being able To receive what they wanted To tell you!!!

Whaou, you say you did'nt plan so much, but actually you have some activities planed;) 

Why not ask someone To paint with you? Could be funny!

Take care Rhi, you're so valuable!

Current medication :

• Moderator Emeritus

I just tried To put you a picture of the sea...But the file is too heavy..

Thinking of you 😚

Current medication :

Hello Rhi,

I am so thrilled for you - having a lovely weekend with your family - and  a perfect Monday. Just remembering the joy of your weekend is uplifting and soothing at the same time - and the feeling of love. Nice you say your grand-daughter frolick in the waves. I wonder how warm the water was? New England seacost water is very cold - Cape Cod has warmer water  - so lots of sharks! 

Good for you for managing difficult conversations where so much emotion is involved. It is difficult for me to know what I am feeling, why, and how to respond. One wants to support, listen and not say something that will hurt another. It sounds like things went positively. Broaching or  discussing difficult or sensitive topics (particularly when I am not in a position iof strength) and the other person is inclined to being confrontational - to cause a lot of anxiety and feel terrible about myself. 

On 9/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, Rhiannon said:

I am so grateful that nowadays even when I have painful emotions, they don't derail me and throw me into a spiral any more. I have been getting therapy again,

I am so glad for you. Negative emotions and negative thinking (cognitive distortions!) have sent me into a spiral and resulted in SSRIs, etc. I need to find a new therapist who accepts insurance. I hope your new therapist is a good fit for your needs. It's hard to find the right person.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:37 AM, Erell said:

It is really hard To learn To be honest and express feelings without meaning To hurt the other. And also hard To learn To listen and receive other's feelings. 

Honest talk is also healing I think

All so true @Erell. I feel terrible when someone tells me somethign they don't like about me - when I just meant to be helpful. When I was told taht this person made the comment because she cared for me - I felt better.  Honest talk is healing. It brings people closer.

I would like to help paint the bathroom with you - if you will help me get through some paperwork.   ;)

Giulietta

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh I would totally like to do the paint with you girls ! 😄

@Guilietta : good book about this subject and nonviolent communication  : "being genuine" by Thomas d'Asembourg (canadian author, don't know if you can find it in Usa)

Current medication :

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello again! Well, Erell and Guilietta, you are still welcome to help me paint the bathroom, but I think I may get it done before you can get here. Let's plan a big party instead after everyone is feeling better! 

I think if you saw the way my stacks of paper are all over the place and how I neglect them, you might not want me to help with your paperwork!

It's the last day of my vacation, back to work tomorrow, sigh. I do have a massage appointment tomorrow before work though, so that is something to be glad about. And a busy weekend planned already.

I really feel like the reinstatement has been quite successful. I'm still not getting the sleep quality and quantity that I would like, but I think overall the other symptoms have settled right down. I'm going to hold at this dose for a couple of months though. I reviewed my journal for the past year or so and I can see that I did some pretty big cuts here and there and never really gave myself time to recover. It's so easy to underestimate the low doses, but actually if the charts are accurate, the low doses are the trickiest part of the taper and need to be done carefully. More carefully than I was doing them, I think.

Well, I've learned my lesson for now. 

I'm so grateful for this site. I don't think I would have made it here without this support and all the good information. Thank you so much--everyone.

47 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

Let's plan a big party instead after everyone is feeling better! 

This will be something to look forward to!

I think if you saw the way my stacks of paper are all over the place and how I neglect them, you might not want me to help with your paperwork!

I don't remember if I posted this before (maybe to @ShiningLight?) - but I finally put my huge stack of papers in a box! At least I know they are safe until I can get to them and where to go digging until they can be filed or dealt with. There are now papers on top of the box. 😕 

I really feel like the reinstatement has been quite successful.

I am quite pleased that your reinstatement has been successful. This is a huge relief.  Do you have any expectations on when your sleep will improve?

It's so easy to underestimate the low doses, but actually if the charts are accurate, the low doses are the trickiest part of the taper and need to be done carefully.

The SERT graphs? I have seen these. It's hard to understand the language - I've read the text and comments by everyone - which is really hard to follow. The graphs, though, are compelling.  Do you think they were part of the drug development plan?  ;)  I shouldn't add the wink - but I do wonder.

Were you cutting by 10% or did you increase the speed? 

And enjoy the masage. What a treat you so richly deserve and what a nice way to close a vacation. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah a party! I'm not sure i'll be able one day To take the plain...let's do this in France ! 😄

I'm happy To see you're doing Well. And totally understand your need To hold for a few months. Offer yourself a break :)

Yes this site is amazing : thank you everybody!!

Current medication :

• Moderator Emeritus

I guess I spoke too soon, having a bit of a rough morning, but it's okay, it's my first day back to work after vacation so maybe there's a stress factor. I still feel like the reinstatement has been successful, just having a bit of windows and waves with it which is to be expected and which I was having before during the tapering too anyway.

I don't know when my sleep will finally get back to my normal...My normal is kind of iffy anyway but it's usually better than this. I guess I will just see.

A party in France sounds lovely! I have been wanting to go back to France my whole life. I was last there when I was 18 years old.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well dear Rhi, you are welcome at any time! :)

Just stopping by, thinking of you on this first day back To work ! 😚

Current medication :

Rhi!  I just dropped by and glad to see your name!  Glad you are hanging in there and able to work hard and grandma!  I am still on some lithium, maybe always, but in regards to your current sxms, will say the last bit of my last drug to finish took FOREVER for the last 2 mg.  When I drop lithium now "all" I have is irritability and depression, and I really wonder if I'll ever sleep normally again, but life goes on.. .

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hello Rhiannon,

20 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

having a bit of a rough morning, but it's okay, it's my first day back to work after vacation so maybe there's a stress factor. I still feel like the reinstatement has been successful, just having a bit of windows and waves with it which is to be expected and which I was having before during the tapering too anyway.

Sounds like you did well considering the stress of a first day back after vacation. Mondays may often be stressful after a weekend - particularly a long weekend. What happened while I was gone and what surprise awaits. :) KNowing that your reinstatement was successful with this added stress is a plus. 

20 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

I don't know when my sleep will finally get back to my normal...My normal is kind of iffy anyway but it's usually better than this. I guess I will just see

Was your sleep comparable to the week you got prior to vacation?

I slept relatively well last night by my standards (awakened only 1x and not much tossing)  - I think beause I was 'dog tired' AND felt positive about what I had accomplishing - including how I had helped othres. ;) Both good feelings.

Hello @Meimeiquest

Not meaning to be an interloper on Rhiannon's thread - but just introducing myself and admiring your success at tapering off the drugs you were put on.  I am thinking positively that your sleep will improve. As we get off these drugs - and reduce dosages - and our bodies adjust - more changes happen gradually. :) 

13 hours ago, Meimeiquest said:

When I drop lithium now "all" I have is irritability and depression, and I really wonder if I'll ever sleep normally again, but life goes on.. .

Giulietta

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi!

How was this day of work?

Hugs!

Current medication :

Hello Rhi -

I hope your day is off to a relaxing start. :) 

Erell has been telling us on her thread about her travels and memories in France and the UK.

I'm off to do some errands.

Giuilietta

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of you 😙

Current medication :

• Moderator Emeritus

So glad To hear from you!

Are you doing better?

I hope your friend is doing ok too. 

Can't wait To hear about this bathroom 😄

Current medication :

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah...the bathroom...well, the progress is very slow. I've been tending to a nasty cough this week, bronchitis, so I've been staying in the warm humidified part of the house, which is not where the bathroom that I'm working on is.

But the cough is finally clearing up and the bathroom is calling me again.

I live in a mobile home, actually, what we call in the USA a "double-wide." Not sure what the equivalent is in France if they even exist there. It's not fancy, but it's a roof over my head and I was able to afford it. Housing prices here in the area where I live are just incredible.  My rent went up 30% in three years. I have read that many families are having to choose between shelter and food. Honestly, the USA has become a scary place to live in many ways.

But mobile homes are cheaper, so I was able to get this place.

Anyway, it had two very strange, tiny shallow bathtubs. But one of them was built in such a way that if I took it out and removed a piece of wall, I could replace it with a full size bathtub. Well, I love baths, especially in the winter, so I spent way too much money and had it done. I also had the old toilet and sink, which did not work well, replaced. So once I get the room painted, maybe replace the floor, I am going to have a much nicer bathroom. 

The lesson of my 9 and a half year taper, I guess: it's possible to get things done very very slowly. I'm practicing that with my bathroom too I guess!

Anyway I did want to drop by here on my thread and say, to anyone who is interested, that the reinstatement I did back in August seems to have worked great. I am feeling MUCH better, almost completely back to normal. That may change, I've been sick this week and taking codeine at night to suppress my cough so I can sleep, so I've been sleeping better, and that may go away once I'm healthy and not taking the cough syrup. Still, I'm feeling optimistic that things are settling down.

And I've decided to continue to hold until the end of the year, if I can summon up the willpower to do so. I just want to see what happens. I think it might be nice for my nervous system to have that stability for a while. I am on pretty low doses of the drugs now, so they aren't messing me up too badly. 

So other than being sick this week I am doing pretty well I think. Let's hope it continues this way.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/4/2019 at 5:15 PM, Meimeiquest said:

Rhi!  I just dropped by and glad to see your name!  Glad you are hanging in there and able to work hard and grandma!  I am still on some lithium, maybe always, but in regards to your current sxms, will say the last bit of my last drug to finish took FOREVER for the last 2 mg.  When I drop lithium now "all" I have is irritability and depression, and I really wonder if I'll ever sleep normally again, but life goes on.. .

Sleep...sometimes I think heaven for me would just be NAP AFTER NAP AFTER NAP. Wouldn't it be lovely to sleep well all the time? 

sigh

Anyway, it's so lovely to see you too! Actually I was thinking of you recently. My daughter's playgroup has a little girl whose nickname is Maymay--it's just what her family calls her, they had no idea it meant "little sister." I told them, and that reminded me of you. And here you are! 

It's annoying to have to deal with measuring out the meds, but honestly at this point I feel like the low doses of the Xanax and citalopram really aren't messing with me much, except when I try to stop them too fast. So I'm going to heed my body and just keep taking them down slowly until I'm down to like three molecules a day.

Keep moving forward little choo choo train that could....chugga chugga chugga...we will get there one day!

• Mentor

Rhi, I'm so glad your reinstatement is working! That's fantastic!!! It sounds like a great plan to hold until the end of the year.

Can't agree more re cost of housing and the USA. As well as your love of a good bath. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Rhi, 

I'm glad To read your brunchitis is calming now! And so happy To see that you're reinstatement is working!!! 

If I was you,  I would totally hold : for stability, but also for availing time without symptoms 😄

About USA Being a scary place, I just read an article about unemployment in USA, and about millions people Being removed from allowances!

In France, we still have a lot of public services and social security. But it is slowly broken years after years by our governments. 

As anywhere else, rich people are getting richer,  and poor people are getting more numerous!

Slowly you'll get a new bathroom..yes, WD transform us into masters of patience I Guess! ;)

Thinking of you, take good care!

Current medication :

Sleep...sometimes I think heaven for me would just be NAP AFTER NAP AFTER NAP. Wouldn't it be lovely to sleep well all the time? 

Wouldn't it just!

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Wouldn't it just!

(I tried to send you a PM but it said you couldn't receive. It was nothing important - just a Twitter question. :))