☼ Rhiannon's intro (by Rhi)

Rhiannon

Hang in there Rhi..I too worked nights for 30 years! It's so hard to adjust.I also am tapering Celexa. Thinking of you.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there Rhi..I too worked nights for 30 years! It's so hard to adjust.I also am tapering Celexa. Thinking of you.

Wow, for 30 years, you must have gotten used to it at some point...I'm working tens, 7 on and 7 off. It's not so bad, except that I am always asleep in the mornings. But I have more of a social life now on this shift than I did on evening shift and at least my schedule is regular, which it wasn't before.

Still feeling crappy but hints of maybe a little better...

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hay Rhi, you are amazing, fantastic you are working, I so admire you. I am currently taking a work break, so to speak, just not well enough to be doin it.... However I did do a whole year in retail whilst in acute withdrawal from the Prozac cold turkey, was seein things and going in on zero hours sleep the majority of the time.....It frustrates me to not be working, was running a company before the doc suggested I come off cos he didn't think I needed it any more. At the moment it's a real struggle with the 3 kids though, couldn't do more. Keep going, keep going, when your not on your shift rest as much as poss. Those unwanted bad thoughts aren't real, they come and then they go, had some today for a while and tonight I was in hysterics at a tv programme! You are doing so well! Loads of love. Xxxxxxxx

Thanks Fizz! I can't imagine trying to work in acute withdrawal. In fact that's why I've tapered so slow from the start, I have no savings and couldn't afford to risk my job. Thanks for the good thoughts. Feeling a little better tonight. But it's my last night of 7 and I'm off for 7 now, so yay.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hugs hugs and more hugs for you Rhi. You have given so many of us great advice. I wish there were more i could do but say HUGS TO YOU!!!!! Muahhhh! And...this too shall pass.

RU

Aw, RU, hugs back, thank you! :-) big smiles!

• Moderator Emeritus

Face it, Rhi... you are LOOOOOVED!!! And smashed with virtual hugs. Your oxytocin levels must be offthecharts!! :D

:-)

I wish virtual hugs felt as good as the in person kind...not sure they do as much for my oxytocin...but I like 'em anyway. And I'm really trying to let it all in. Feels good to know you guys care about me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Have to say I'm sorry, too. But so good that you know the cause, and at least one part of your mind can rationally know it is not about the essence of you.

Do you sleep? Do you keep the sane schedule on off days? I feel for you, I worked nights for 1.5 yrs. out of college...felt like 100 yrs. And I think a piece of my depression in my late 20's was from a day/night rotation, switching every two weeks. What kind of work do you do?

Hi Meimei, thanks. I work in a hospital lab. I actually kind of like the night shift, weird huh? but it does mess with my body. I work 7/7 and on my off week I go to a modified late schedule, sleeping till about 1 pm. It's just too hard on my body to try to switch fully back to days, I only do that if I have to.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry Rhi - shift work is a killer at any time, let alone during withdrawals. When i was young and childless, i really liked night duty (nursing) - busy but without the distractions of ringing phones and difficult doctors. I loved driving home and 7:30 and crawling into bed. But once children came along it was too tough to try and get the hours of sleep in and i would end up nearly vomiting from exhaustion at 4am.

Oh yeah, I bet! I don't think I could do this with a roommate, let alone with kids! I generally sleep about 7 hours during the day, 8 when I can, have a dark quiet place to sleep during the day. I actually sort of like the night shift. I mean, not as much as I would like winning the lottery and not having to work at all, but since I have to work...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi glad I checked in to see what you are up to. Could the night shift be aggravating the WD?

Halting the taper at this point is a good move. Think about what you are accomplishing. Working again, working a night shift, and doing a multi withdrawal. It's alot. So have the cortisol and free flowing anxiety is bound to occur. Give yourself permission to have it.

In a few weeks this should be behind you. This stuff is cyclical. Lots of hugs for you this evening :D

When you feel this way, just keep posting, someone will stop by to chat with you, just like you've done for us.

Thanks Nikki. When I get frustrated with having to hold my taper I don't always remember how much I'm actually doing. And this was the point of the slow taper, so that I could work and rebuild my life, which I am slowly doing. You're right, it's a lot. Actually when you put it that way I feel kind of proud of myself. At least right now I do. Sometimes I can't even imagine feeling good about myself. Other times I can. Right now I'm having a good moment.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope you feel better soon Rhi

{{{hugs}}}

Thanks basil, hugs back! {{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hang in there, Rhi. It will come back around.

I've been in the same place. I know I've felt better but I don't feel like I've ever felt better. It sucks. You can make it through.

You're such a help to all of us here and elsewhere, know we're all rooting for you. I'm rooting for you! And I know you're gonna make it!

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

The weirdest thing is how I find myself thinking hopeless thoughts, this is as good as my life will ever get, it's always going to be like this, etc... Even though I'm pretty sure I do remember feeling better than this, even fairly recently.

I know right! This is the worst element of withdrawal in my opinion.

Anyway, feel better, you're not alone.

Rhi I have to work hard at trying to overcome these thoughts and replace them how I want to see myself. Having it bad this morning (every morning).

Try looking at the things around you and how you will be in the swing of things and feeling good.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just want to let everyone know, I got better. And of course then I made some more cuts and got worse again, and now I'm back on the upswing I think.

I'm actually thinking of doing something I've contemplated but not actually tried yet during my taper, and that's a really long hold. I'm thinking I might hold for the next three months, until the end of August. I doubt I really have the self-discipline to do that, but I've been wanting to try it and this might be a good time. I'd like to lose a few pounds (8-10 or so) and I've found that I can't really diet and taper at the same time, something about those hunger hormones just aggravates my symptoms too much. And now with the night shift stuff too.

In my three-plus years of tapering I've often contemplated doing a three-month hold but never actually done it. I'm just curious to see what the results would be.

Well, anyway, I'm holding for now. We'll see how long I can hold out. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and--regarding the title of this thread--I am thrilled to say that I am NOW down to 1.65 mg of citalopram! Well, you can see from my sig line. My 5/26 levels are where I'm holding for now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better now, I've done lots of long holds, months at a time over the course of the years, I think sometimes I actually forgot I was tapering.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

It is refreshing to hear how far you have come. Your posts are never really about doom and gloom (like mine).

And yes, you are rebuilding. Me too. It has been rather frustrating a large portion of the time (for me). This is what keeps me locked in my head.

What is your remedy for not being locked in your head? Please share.

As for holding. Do it. At the end, holding is a good thing. From what I have seen/read, those who hold at the most miniscule doses have an easier time once they are off. Actually it was all about the hold from when I was on Seroxatmad.

Again, we (everyone on the planet) do alot and juggle most of the time. It is tiring, so hold and rest when ever you can. You really are at the end.

Everyday remind yourself on how far you have come.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi.. glad to hear you are taking a 'time out' with a 3 month hold. I've been on one for err, 8 months now, give or take (after 3 years of tapering). I was about to start again, the the AB thingy happened, so it will be another month. Sometimes we just need to be clear of disruption and have some peace. The weight thing is important too, like you don't know awready!... :)

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Rhi, I know I dont know you but you are AMAZING...I know this recovery is slow and a long time coming for you but you have done incredibly just to SURVIVE!!

I look forward to reading about your progress over the next couple of years and your full recovery. xx

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

• Moderator Emeritus

Aw thanks Iggy! And wow, you managed to find my intro thread, I can never do that. :-)

Love your adorable avatar photo by the way. AWWWW!

that my baby boy rhi, the reson I am hanging on, it helps for me to see him when Im posting and remember why Im still here and still trying. much love, healing and protection to you. x

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

Rhi I hope I didn't already ask you this.I can't find anything here but how fast did you taper the neurontin and did you take a generic or the brand? If you took the generic which one was it? Ive been switched 3 times in the last month. I'm having what Skyler believes to be WD ..I wonder how much of a difference there really is between these generics. The pharma. says by law they are the same but I know better.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

Flower I took generic, whatever they gave me, probably different ones since I moved three times to different cities, twice in different states, during the time I was taking it. Part of the time I was taking the tablets and other times I was taking the capsules. I don't know which ones they were, I've been off now for a year and didn't keep any of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rhi,

I skimmed your neuroplasticity thread last night. Wondering if you have any additional thought now a few months out? I am thinking this is really the big scientific question in WD....is it just wait for time to work, or is a more active stance needed/helpful? If so, what are the best practices? Thanks...for all you do! Meimei

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi and how do you feel....thank you for all your support and info on Celexa, or getting off of the stuff.  I am at 30mgs. and I think you wrote that it took you three years to wean off?

Congratulations on being Free :)

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi and how do you feel....thank you for all your support and info on Celexa, or getting off of the stuff.  I am at 30mgs. and I think you wrote that it took you three years to wean off?

Congratulations on being Free :)

No, the only one I'm all the way off is Neurontin. I still have 1.6 mg to go with the Celexa. But that's such a huge improvement I feel pretty good about it. And the effect of the drug is way less at this dosage, thank goodness. Hard to say which ones caused which problems for me, but all of them are lessening as I get my dosages down.

I anticipate another year or so to get all the way off the Celexa. While still reducing the other meds too of course, that path seems to work well for me.

Rhi you inspire me :)

Past: Started on 30 mg of celexa in 2003 with lorazepam for sleep, switched to clonazepam in 2007

Last few years were spent cartwheeling around with various AD cocktails and multiple ER visits

Current:  5 mg celexa, .5 mg clonazepam, 1 mg melatonin for sleep 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi,I skimmed your neuroplasticity thread last night. Wondering if you have any additional thought now a few months out? I am thinking this is really the big scientific question in WD....is it just wait for time to work, or is a more active stance needed/helpful? If so, what are the best practices? Thanks...for all you do! Meimei

I found that the practices from the Gupta program I was doing worked pretty well.  The simplest and most effective has been a type of mindfulness meditation that actually is much like you can find elsewhere--just feeling whatever you're feeling and not resisting it. He uses the expression "welcome it like a guest into your home." Just feeling it, whatever the discomfort is, and being with it and not resisting it. Sometimes I can even get to a place of feeling comforted and happy with it. 

When I do the exercises they do seem to work. The chemical sensitivities that I initially got into the program for have reduced considerably. 

Seems like when I went to working nights back in October 2012 I kind of slacked off on keeping up with things. Should probably get back to it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling moderately crappy today. Would rather be feeling only mildly crappy. Oh well, that's what I get for making another cut in my meds.

It's so annoying that I seem to have to go more slowly with my taper now at these low doses, just like everyone does.

But I can't complain too much. I'm doing pretty well, all things considered. I'm going out of town Thursday for a ten-day trip, and I think I'm feeling well enough to manage that okay. 

Rhi, if you are going for a ten day trip, you are FINE!

I haven`t been able to even think about not sleeping in my bed for almost a year b/C of insomnia.

I'm glad for you.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling moderately crappy today. Would rather be feeling only mildly crappy. Oh well, that's what I get for making another cut in my meds.

It's so annoying that I seem to have to go more slowly with my taper now at these low doses, just like everyone does.

But I can't complain too much. I'm doing pretty well, all things considered. I'm going out of town Thursday for a ten-day trip, and I think I'm feeling well enough to manage that okay. 

I hope you have a much deserved marvelous time!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you have a great time Rhi:)

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Aw thanks. It's not really as fun a vacation as I would like, I'm going to visit parents and family in Texas. My mom was diagnosed with multiple myeloma this past spring and I'd like to see her and just give her some support. Unfortunately my family is toxic and crazy, and they live right in the Rio Grande valley area where it's super hot this time of year, so it's not so much about the fun. But I'm glad to be able to support my mom.  We were estranged for many years. I'll get to see a brother I like too.

And mostly just give my mom a chance to talk and be listened to--she doesn't really have anyone in her life to do that. I think I can handle it, although five days will be the longest time I've spent with her in a decade or so.

And I'm stopping in New Mexico on the way back to visit my daughter, which will be nice, except I'll be sleeping on the floor, which means mostly not sleeping much at all. Still, I'll survive.  But probably not come back feeling rested.

• Administrator

Have a good trip, Rhi.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dito.... safe travels!! See you on the flip side :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

I just read you whole thread Rhi, you have come a long way and have been through a lot.  I'm left wondering what happened with that abusive guy at your job.

Thank you for staying here to help us, even though you don't post much on your own thread.  I hope you enjoy your trip to visit family and that it goes well.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

OUCH. Having a bad wave, worst in a long time.

I seem to have used up all my slack with Ambien now. I have been able to use it intermittently at low doses to help move my sleep schedule back and forth for night shift, but since I've been doing that since I started night shift in October, apparently I've sensitized my CNS to it.

Because I used it throughout my trip because I have trouble sleeping when I travel, and when I came back from the trip I tried to quit and threw myself into terrible, classic withdrawal, with benzo type anxiety attacks and cortisol "mornings" (mine happen in the afternoon because that's my schedule) and general CNS hypersensitivity (can't handle sounds, bright light, intense sensations) and autonomic instability with nausea and lack of appetite. Oh, and all those fun thoughts about wanting my life to be over NOW and how everything is terrible and hopeless for real.

Okay, silver lining, because silver linings is What I Do: I'm getting a reminder of what it's like to be acutely ill with withdrawal, so maybe I'll be better at supporting people going through it. Although actually I didn't need this because I remember pretty darn well from the past what it was like and sure enough, I seem to have been remembering accurately, it was a lot like this.

Fortunately I live with this person named Rhi who seems to have a lot of good ideas about stabilizing and tapering with these stupid neurotransmitter-screwing-up drugs and if I can just bring myself to take her advice, it's probably pretty good. So I'm doing the right things, mostly, I think, to the extent that my brain is able to consistently work anyway. Time to watch my carbs and disaccharides again for a while; am taking a stable dose of Ambien now consistently (to stabilize and taper); am holding all my other meds except the Valium, which I have bumped up from 1.6 to 1.7 and may go up to 1.8.

Anyway mostly just need to confess (I screwed up sheesh I am so not perfect!) and get virtual hugs because I am now feeling like crap crap crap.

grumble. yuck.

Rhi:

The good thing about falling off wagons is you get good at climbing back on. I'm far too uptight to send hugs, but here's a heartfelt, gentle pat on the hand.... And another one for the Rhi you live with.

Best wishes,

Ed