SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Rhiannon's intro (by Rhi)

Rhiannon

• Moderator Emeritus

nice for you to have caught a rainbow for however long it lasts xx

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, woke up feeling sort of good! I love windows. 

Having, like, positive thoughts about the future. What is WRONG with me? (Jk.)

Oh well, don't worry, it won't last. Still, it's a good sign.

Hey, Hey.... you are getting there kid.  And many happy returns of the Day(s)!!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Well today was not quite so great, but that seems to be the pattern now, better days and worse days, but even the worse ones aren't as bad as they were a couple of weeks ago. So, the usual thing.

I think I'm going to keep holding until at least the middle of September.  I want to actually feel good for a while before I start to taper again.  I really believe that how I feel reflects how my brain is doing, healing, recovering, balancing, or whatever it is that's going on--anyway, feeling good has to be a sign that good things are happening, and I think it's probably smart to let them happen sometimes. 

Besides I'm going to be tapering for 100 years anyway so I might as well take vacations from time to time, right? 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi Rhi,

I am saddened that you are having bad days .. :(

Hoping that they will be short, and gone soon..

Thank you for all you do, even though you are having a tough time ..

I admire your courage, so much ..

You are an inspiration to me, and all here,

I am sure.

Sending you love, and wishing you many windows up ahead .. :)

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Steadily improving, in that up and down kind of way. Cortisol mornings are less intense. Having more moments of feeling calm, having occasional optimistic thoughts about my life.

I'm still thinking about taking this hold on out for a longer term. I'm thinking about looking for a job in the city, which will mean a lot of stress, especially once I find one and have to move and find a place to live and learn my way around a new and much bigger and busier place than where I've been living. It's so hard to make myself hold, though. I always want to cut "just a little..."

sigh.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

It sounds like when you got back from your trip that you never settled back in entirely. Maybe it is as good time as any to make a change like a move, before you eventually reestablish your comfort level at your present abode. Of course easier said than done. Relocating by oneself is very challenging. I tried in my younger days to move out of state where I knew noone and it didn't take...

A lot for you to think about... No time like present if an opportunity presents itselff.. Or that's what I am thinking right now at nearly 5am and not yet to sleep...

Alwx

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Rhi, if anyone deserves a vacation it is you...Do it girl..You sure are a soldier.I feel like I whine all the time.You give me hope.I hate this gabapentin but need it to work so badly.I'm not really sure how much good it's doing me until I mess with the dose and the SEs start.Yuk!

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like when you got back from your trip that you never settled back in entirely. Maybe it is as good time as any to make a change like a move, before you eventually reestablish your comfort level at your present abode. Of course easier said than done. Relocating by oneself is very challenging. I tried in my younger days to move out of state where I knew noone and it didn't take...

A lot for you to think about... No time like present if an opportunity presents itselff.. Or that's what I am thinking right now at nearly 5am and not yet to sleep...

Alwx

About the time I got back was when that wave hit and I'm just now coming out of it finally (I think). 

Unfortunately it's probably going to take a while to find a job so I'll be settled back in here before I get the chance to go. I'm still trying to decide if I want to move or not, but it doesn't cost anything to apply for jobs (well other than maybe getting some help with my resume, which I think I need, not very good at those).  I'm going to be on my current night shift until late October it looks like, which is good, because it gives me a few more of those bigger paychecks but there's still an end in sight.  Portland's getting to be a pricey place to live now that it's been "discovered", and the jobs there don't pay as well as they do out here in the boonies (healthcare is funny that way). So it might be good to have a little extra saved up.

Scary, all of it, actually. But also an adventure.  Might stop tapering for a while though. I'm starting to feel almost good.

• Moderator Emeritus

Rhi, if anyone deserves a vacation it is you...Do it girl..You sure are a soldier.I feel like I whine all the time.You give me hope.I hate this gabapentin but need it to work so badly.I'm not really sure how much good it's doing me until I mess with the dose and the SEs start.Yuk!

Aw thanks. I know, what a mess, being dependent on these drugs we hate and just want to get off of already...But you will get there, one step at a time.

• Moderator Emeritus

WHEW better almost all the time now, with occasional bad moments. Mornings still...meh, not so great, but not feeling like I've been shot up with adrenaline. Having hopeful thoughts frequently, yay!

Made a couple of very small cuts, 1% each of Xanax and Lamictal, 3% of Celexa, and going to hold them now for two weeks.

The slowest turtle in Turtleville creeps along...feeling pretty satisfied with her progress and her amazing healing brain, actually...

I hope I can measure this stuff when the time comes..Forgive me if I already asked but Rhi are you making your own liquid Celexa? That Celexa WD consumes me. I hope to go slow enough I don't get so sick the least I've dropped at a time was 2.5mgs..the 5mgs twice..What a dummy I am.I'm thankful to be on 10mgs instead of 20..I fight to stay put.Now to get this messin around with the gaba to settle down.I see it took you some time to stabilize after the change..You waited 4 weeks to drop again? That's great that you stabilized that fast..Brings me hope..

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Flower!

I hope I can measure this stuff when the time comes..Forgive me if I already asked but Rhi are you making your own liquid Celexa? That Celexa WD consumes me. I hope to go slow enough I don't get so sick the least I've dropped at a time was 2.5mgs..the 5mgs twice..What a dummy I am.I'm thankful to be on 10mgs instead of 20..I fight to stay put.Now to get this messin around with the gaba to settle down.I see it took you some time to stabilize after the change..You waited 4 weeks to drop again? That's great that you stabilized that fast..Brings me hope..

Yes, I dissolve my Celexa tablets in water. It takes a little while for them to dissolve. Then like with the other meds, I stir it well and draw it up while it's still really stirred up or keep stirring while drawing it up. It's worked fine for me down to where I am now which is about 1.5 mg. I think at 1 mg I will see if I can get the liquid to taper the rest of the way though.

• Moderator Emeritus

OH YUCK! Just two days ago I was feeling good and thinking "wow, I actually feel good, happy about my life, optimistic, this is amazing!" and then last night at work something just hit me and today I'm back feeling terrible and anxious and lonely and agoraphobic and worried about my future and all that stuff. Waves and windows, crazy!

I hate the feelings that make it hard to get out of the house and do things that I know would be good for me. Just feels like I'm always climbing up the mountain, never getting to coast down the other side. 

And I'm wondering if I will EVER be well, ever be off these meds and not feeling these waves, or if this is how it's going to be for the rest of my life. I guess it would be okay as long as I have more good days than bad. Still it would be nice to have more energy for other things in life besides just coping and surviving and struggling. It's been three and a half years and I probably have as long again to go and I am just so tired...

Hoping that when I get off the night shift that will help settle things down. There's something weird going on with my stomach and digestion too. Fortunately only a couple more months on this schedule at most I think. I just keep reminding myself that it's good money and I'm saving well and there's an end in sight.

Anyway, encouraging thoughts and good vibes are much welcomed. Thanks to you guys for all your support. I don't know what I would do without you.

You are most always a rock Rhi..It's okay to feel that way. Remember acceptance.That's easy for me to say since I whine so much....lol

I always look for your words. You have done so well getting where you are..I wish I could do so well.

I'd love to take a pill and make this stop. I don't know why I've got this so stirred up.

Could seperating 2 drugs I've taken for years really cause this much trouble. Maybe tapering both would be ticket? 1% I'm looking into a compounding pharmacy..Do they mail meds to a local pharm or to the Docs office? Tapering that traz at 1mg at a time would be plausible for me..Doing 25mgs landed me in the hospital but I managed to stay put and taper the celexa afterwards..Woo Hoo what a ride that was. This place has made me much more aware of what happened to me.

Hi Rhi,

I feel so very saddened that you are suffering .. :(

But please hang in there ..This is a terrible wave, which will run it's course, and go away ..Tomorrow, the sun will shine again .. :)

Try not to loose hope ..You are a wonderful inspiration to so many,

myself included..I look up to you, your big heart, being there to offer help

to the suffering of others, despite your own situation...

Your compassion, your kindness and care, your generosity of spirit,

will return to you tenfold ..

Your reward will be from up above ..

So please have faith, that "this too shall pass "

With gratitude, and sending you much love,

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi,

I'm sorry you have been hit with an unexpected wave, be extra kind and gentle with yourself until it passes, as it will.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

thinking of you Rhi xxx

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Rhi,

Hopefully, getting off the night shift will help your situation.  As one who has learned more about sleep than I ever wanted to know, I have read that working the night shift can wreck haavoc on your health. So if you are dealing with withdrawal issues that can come and go, it is understandable you might not be feeling well.

Hang in there.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Hi Rhi

I just want to say how much I respect you. You are so strong, kind, and supportive. I really hope you feel better soon.

I am on 2.0 mg abilify for 2 yrs now.  I tired to taper every month 2.0....1.5....1.0....0.5....off.  I was fine until I jumped off at the end.  I will need to slow the taper down after 0.5.  Maybe try 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.05, 0.025...off.

8/2/17. Abilify  2.0 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi,

I'm very sorry things have turned but don't forget that good window. You will feel that way again!

I understand how you feel about the time done and expected time to go but we can do this. I feel that way when I'm in a bad wave, too.

You and I have come a long way and we've both, just recently, felt hope for the future. That's a good sign, I believe.

{{{HUGS}}}

Love, Tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for all your support, as always! 

Overall my mood is mostly pretty optimistic and I feel fairly steady, but I think you're right compsports, as long as I'm working this shift things are going to be kind of erratic. Oh well, patience, in a month or two I'll be back to a more normal schedule, working 2 to 1030 or 2 to midnight. It's still late but my body seems to like that schedule okay. 

I'm compensating myself for the schedule by spending some of the money I've saved (on stuff I need, like getting my car's maintenance caught up, and on stuff that's good for me but more optional, like getting a couple of massages a month).

Just hanging in and trying to summon up the willpower not to dive back into cutting the meds (have made a couple of very tiny cuts and I'm trying to hold those for a ridiculously long period of time). I'm hoping to have a lot of changes coming up in my life soon so I'd like to stay pretty stable for now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rhi,

I watched a youtube video about sleep, the theories about why we need it.  Part of it reminded me of you because it was explaining why working night shift is so disruptive and harmful.  I'm sure you are going to feel so much better once you make that change.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

I've always worried about your working the night shift. Hope a more normal circadian rhythm will help you along.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks like it's confirmed, I'll be going back to swing shift in November, yay! Unfortunately that shift is death to your social life, so there's always a trade-off. But I think it's the right choice now. A year of nights is long enough.

Next project, getting the resume and LinkedIn stuff together and (optimistically) buying some job-interview clothes...

it's pretty intimidating to think about relocating to a big city, but exciting to think about the possibilities there for community and support and having lots of things to do and get involved in. I mean, the whole point of this taper was to get my life back for the years that are left, wasn't it? Now that I actually have some interest and desire to get out into the world and experience things, and I'm able to connect with and enjoy other people again, and hopefully getting more of my creativity back as I get lower on the Lamictal and benzos--

well, we'll see. One step at a time.

At least I'm feeling better from this hold now. Mostly feeling pretty strong, confident, optimistic.

Yay! Great news!

I am on 2.0 mg abilify for 2 yrs now.  I tired to taper every month 2.0....1.5....1.0....0.5....off.  I was fine until I jumped off at the end.  I will need to slow the taper down after 0.5.  Maybe try 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.05, 0.025...off.

8/2/17. Abilify  2.0 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Your posts of the last two months have been oddly reassuring to me.  I've been going through some really unpleasant waves interspersed with brighter, although not longer, windows and it's getting awfully discouraging. Good to know that these things happen even to those doing the steadiest and sanest of tapers.  (I didn't, but this still gives me hope.)

I'm also glad to see that you'll be getting off of night shift and I wish you the very best in finding a new job and relocating.  At the very least, I hope you get a steady evening or day shift at your present employer. I can't imagine going through what I've gone through while holding down a job on the night shift.  Just the thought makes me want to lie down and sleep.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Well it's official, my last night shift is Oct. 22nd. (Except for when I fill in for somebody on vacation or whatever.)

This past weekend I went to see my daughter, who has just moved from New Mexico to Oregon and now lives about a four-hour drive from me. I'm so happy about that! And we can meet in the middle in the city, which will be fun. But it's so tough, I had to push my body's schedule back so I could be awake during at least the afternoon so that I could spend time with her, and also to make an appointment in Portland on Tuesday. And now I'm back working and have to push it back to sleeping all day. And my body doesn't change schedule fast--I can only push it about two hours a day at most--so I end up sleep deprived for days at a time.

That is what has been so hard for me. If I stay on a "sleep days, awake nights" schedule all the time, my body seems to adapt and I do pretty well. But then I can't do things with other people during the day.

I will be on evening shift now, working 2 pm to midnight. I'm worried about being able to spend time and connect with people. This past year I have expanded my social life so much because I've had evenings off, which is when so much happens. And I have found it so very helpful to have those social connections. It's as important as exercise and eating right.

Well, we shall see. Now that I do have friends, maybe I will be able to arrange some lunch get-togethers, plus I'll make sure I have stuff planned for all the evenings I do have off.

It will be nice not to feel physically crappy and not to deal with the sleep deprivation, for sure! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm off night shift! :-)

Still having some adjustment problems. Also, I restarted tapering, albeit slowly (well, I guess it's always slowly, so that's nothing new). 

Also, one night at work when I was feeling particularly fatigued, for the heck of it I checked my thyroid levels. The only tests we do at our lab are total T3, free and total T4, and TSH. My TSH was low/normal (1.8 or so) and my total T3 and T4 were at the very low end of the normal range; my free T4 was below the low end of the normal range. 

I took an iodine supplement for a few months and then tested it again but it was still about the same.

So now I'm trying to decide what to do. From what I've read, a normal to low TSH with a low free T4 usually indicates a problem not so much with the thyroid gland as with the pituitary. I'm wondering if the problem might really be due to stress from working the night shift. 

Right now I'm thinking I'll wait a while and test after a few weeks on a more normal schedule and see if anything has changed. Sheesh, thyroid problems, that's all I need...

Congrats on moving off the night shift. That holds a lot of promise.

There is no shortage of opinion on TSH online. Generally the authors I've read suggest 1.8 is okay. Datis Kharrazian has an ideal of 1.8 to 3.0 (as I recall) and Paul Jaminet from Perfect Health Diet argues for even lower like .5 to 1.5... There's plentiful evidence I've browsed about co-factor minerals such as selenium and iodine and copper/zn balance and there is some about that at the link:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/thyroid-more-evidence-that-%E2%80%9Cnormal%E2%80%9D-is-unhealthy/

Also adrenals could be a factor, they are for me.

EDIT: I recall Jaminet has some ideas about optimizing thyroid conversion using dietary approaches and some supplementation and he's been a useful resource for me in other areas. Good luck.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

TSH isn't really that telling. FT3 and FT4 are more important. FT3 should be at 50% of the normal range and FT4 should be closer to 70% - 100%.

8/2/17. Abilify  2.0 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Rhi,

I hope getting off .the night shift will help once you get adjusted.

There's a way to check the thyroid by taking your temp every three hours, then averaging it, for a week.

Gia said her thyroid acted up a lil while she was on meds but got better afterwards. I hope when we're off the meds EVERYTHING gets better.

BIG HUG!

My thyroid has been fine; I know little. But I went once to a naturopathic seminar and he said ideal is 1.0 to 1.1. Pooling ignorance :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Rhi....

Rhi night shift work can take a toll.  Causes alot of fatigue for me anyway.  You will start to feel alot better once your sleep is restored. 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm off night shift! :-)

So now I'm trying to decide what to do. From what I've read, a normal to low TSH with a low free T4 usually indicates a problem not so much with the thyroid gland as with the pituitary. I'm wondering if the problem might really be due to stress from working the night shift. 

Hi Rhi.. Working nights was so hard on my body, I had an attack of atrial fibrillation (brought on by two weeks of insomnia caused by an inability to adjust to nights).  I was alone with a patient in a private home at 3 AM.  My heart started to flutter and I went into tachycardia.  I lost count at 160 beats a minute, VERY scary.  The episode subsided after a few minutes and my pulse returned to normal, so I did not call rescue,  but rest assured the thought crossed my mind.  That was the last night shift I ever worked.  Needless to say, I'm most respectful of the carnage night shifts can cause.

I'm glad you are off nights! 

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Bumping this topic up because someone wanted to read my intro...

I'm doing okay now, except I ate way too much sugar and crap during the holidays and I can really tell. My intestinal flora are all screwed up, and then that affects my emotional and mental states via the vagus nerve. Time to get back on track with my basic GAPS protocol. Usually I have a lot of slack with it once everything has settled down, but then I go and do this and get it all out of whack again and it takes a couple of months to get back in shape. Oh well. Self discipline has never been a strength of mine, sigh.

And now it's 2014. Not sure how I feel about it. About the same as ever, I guess, for me--life sucks a lot, but it's also full of moments of wonder and awesomeness and joy, and right now my life is basically working okay, so I keep chugging along.

Hoping to maybe find some romance (or at least some decent sex, blush!) in 2014.  :-)