SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Ben190: cold turkey - need advice and help

Ben190

Hello, my name is Ben from Germany, I am 26 years old. I stopped taking Fluoxetin 20mg After 4 weeks because of the immens problems with the medicine. I had stomache, brain and health problems, lost Libido and nearly no erection and lost feelings in my genitals. 

Now after 5 months off I still have so many Problems. I feel sick, have Brain/ thinking Problems and I am Always tired and have no power at all. I dont want to do anything... sad :( and I dont have any erection... its like if he‘s dead. So now I am wondering what could/ should I do? My girlfriend is really nice but I think she needs sex :( and I cant.

Was the Cold turkey a bad decision? What would u recommend to me? Thanks for your answers,

Ben (26)

2018 - october: 10 days Fluoxetin 20mg

2018 - october: CT after bad reactions

2019 - june: 3,5 weeks Fluoxetin 20mg

2019 - june: 5 days Fluoxetin 10mg

2019 - july: CT after massive problems

• Altostrata changed the title to Ben190 Cold turkey, need advice and help
  • Administrator

Hello, Ben.

I'm moving this to the Introductions forum as your Introductions topic, where you can ask questions and track your progress.

After you went off fluoxetine, how did you feel? How have your symptoms changed in the last few months?

How did you feel when you took the first few pills?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata,

thanks a lot :) I didnt know where to post my topic. The first few pills felt like hell, I struggled a lot, couldnt sit or lay still, always felt like having to move, restless, slept 5 hours per night, couldnt concentrate, lost my libido and had sexual disfunction, after 2-3 weeks I got a Bit better but lost my feelings. My grandfather was very sick and I lost every feeling to other People. So I decided after a talk with the doctor to stop this and just to psycholic therapy. 

After quitting the new hell started, very tired, sad, panic and fear, couldnt move without uncontrolled movement left and Right and still have sexual disfunction and no libido. But I am feeling some progress but still its hard. But I have feelings back, my grandfather died and I was nearly the person who cried in tears the most. I really think some Things changed, but I cant concentrate good, still very tired and no sexual interest and no erection.

I dont know what to do to improve my regeneration. Some People Told me it was good to stop inmediately and others say I should have stopped over weeks. I just dont know if its normal what I am gonig through... and if my sexual Interest will ever Come back.

Best,

Ben

Anyone there to help :/?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ben

I think Alto may be along later.

If not tomorrow.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

• manymoretodays changed the title to Ben190: Cold turkey, need advice and help
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ben,

And welcome aboard. 

Did you just take fluoxetine for 4 weeks total then?  That may work in your favor, with your full healing/recovery.  Not as much time for changes, due to the drugs to set in, perhaps not as much time for those changes to reverse themselves now.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

this can be really helpful, just follow the instructions in the link, the signatures can be seen below each members posts

And on your ?, as to if the CT(cold turkey) was a bad idea.  I think we might have suggested a bit more gradual taper, you might have tolerated a more rapid taper.  This is what we usually suggest and why:

At Surviving Antidepressants, we generally recommend that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose, with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.
( from the first post in that link: Those finding that this method too slow can always speed up by making 10% reductions more often. However, if you get withdrawal symptoms, your nervous system is telling you that you are tapering too fast. )

Here's a bit more on WD(withdrawal) for you, so you can see that you are not alone with some of your symptoms now.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  Healing promoting in other words, as well as relaxing.

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Also, including:  Dealing with Emotional Spirals

It may be helpful to you now, to start honing up on some non-drug coping skills

I think you may do very well Ben190, with your healing from here on out.  Try not to obsess, over what may prove to be a very temporary limitation right now.

Best,  L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
added in 10% link

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hi, Ben. It sounds like you had a bad adverse reaction to 20mg fluoxetine right off, plus you had withdrawal symptoms when you went off.

It can take a while for your nervous system to settle down from these shocks. Improvement can be very gradual and frustrating. You've seen some improvement so far, that is a good sign.

See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

It might be best for you to help your nervous system heal with fresh food, regular sleep, low stress, and no alcohol or other chemical experiments. You might try these to keep calm while you heal:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

How is your sleep now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for your answers. Honestly I had to google some parts as my English isn‘t the best. I will put down my withdrawal history @ manymoretpdays :) I took Fluoxetin 20mg for 9 days in october 2018, than ct, my doctor wanted me to try it again in june 2019, I took 20mg for 3,5 weeks, than 5 days 10mg and than went off. It was too hard for my Body to fight with all the bad symptoms and health problems at that time. 

Sleeping is really good at the Moment, but scary is that I dont dream anything a lot of times. And of course I am always tired, I have sometimes problems to see things clearly (with my eyes), I feel diziness and I dont have to eat. But sometimes I eat like 3 men 😬. ED is still there, no libido, sometimes everything seems like making no sense (life), sometimes sad but always fighting to get my daily life and work done. 

Still dont know if tapering would have been better, but I couldnt imagine to go any longer through these bad health problems :/.

I want to try Omega 3, Magnesium what would u recommend? I have to say that my bowel is very complicated (intollerances), I react on a lot of things. 

Thanks for your help, I will Check the links :)

Best, 

Ben

• Moderator Emeritus

Ben190,

I think that you did the right thing, considering the rapid onset of adverse reactions that you had so quickly with fluoxetine.  I'm glad Alto picked up on that from your replies.

I just put some of the usual stuff that I put in some welcome posts.  I could have been more considerate.  That you've seen progress already in symptoms improving is great!!!

You're good.  To healing Ben!

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

You may do better with the glycine form of Magnesium then.  Start low.  Some good information in the first couple posts in that link.........so perhaps just stick to those, it's a long topic.......packed full with many Magnesium experiences and discussions.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hello manymoretodays, 

thanks for your answer. Yes but I am still wondering if others also had so many problems with Fluoxetin and if others also had the sexual dysfunction and if its going to come back. Sadly 5 1/2 months gone and still no function at all. 

I will do my Signature today and try Omega 3/ Magnesium.

Have a good day!

Ben

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, unfortunately Ben190, many have run into problems like yours.  And I suspect, most have had full function return.  Try not to get too obsessed with the PSSD symptom. 

OCD or repetitive intrusive thoughts, compulsive behaviors

PSSD Post SSRI sexual dysfunction

Keep us updated Ben,  and best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hey manymoretodays, thanks a lot for your feedback and information. Wow you stunned me... I got some type of OCD after quitting fluoxetine. Still there but less intensive and I think you are right to stop thinking too much about PSSD. Things will be fine some day later but the way is kinda shocking for me. Where I had to go through after such a short time of taking these drugs.

I will keep you updated, hope you have a nice 2020!

Best,

Ben

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ben,

Not meant to stun. You'll be just fine before you know it. You might even let that girlfriend know what's going on it might draw you closer, you never know.

Hey manymoretodays,

I meant amazed :D how you knew I also got OCD 🙊 thanks :) I Hope so, thanks for your words and advice! How are you btw?

Ben

Still there?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.  I'm going ski-ing though, as soon as possible.  POWDER!!!  Swoosh, woosh.

I'm okay.  Over- obsessed with the site is all.  Back soon.

Don't be shy, visit others threads, lend support.  Read up on all the evils of over prescription in the present age.  WD is real.   As are adverse reactions that rarely need more drugs and medications.   And I am so sorry you have had to have the unfortunate experience of that.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hey manymoretodays,

I will read through the forum but first do my signature :). Have a nice Time skiing, thank you for your sympathy.

Right now I have still few problems, still cant see good, extremly while moving, still tired and no erection and sometimes pain in genitales. 

Hope to hear from you :) 

Best,

Ben

I think I am getting better but still tired, can’t see good sometimes, no libido and ED. Hope that it will get better, still fighting with OCD a bit. 

have a nice week!

Ben

• Administrator

How are you feeling, Ben?

Hey Altostrata,

thanks for your reply. I am feeling okay, sometimes life is good sometimes I have bad feelings and everything of the bad situation right now tries to get me down.

ED and no libido still, but less OCD and better seeing again. But I am still very tired a lot and sports don’t make any fun at the moment as I am still weak and can’t do the weights I used to do at the gym... no motivation and no power to train into pain.

How are you doing?

Best, Ben

• 1 month later...

Sorry but it is still hard. I am always tired, no strength in muscles, OCD, no libido and ED. Still wondering if this is kinda normal for 7 months off. Don’t know what to do, I am kinda depressed, frustrated and sad and don’t know what to do. It is so hard every day to stay in game... maybe you have some advice?

Best, Ben

No one there?

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, Ben190 said:

Still wondering if this is kinda normal for 7 months off.

Having these symptoms 7 months out is entirely to be expected when recovering from an adverse reaction and withdrawal.  Please take a look at Alto's suggestions in her previous post to you:

"Hi, Ben. It sounds like you had a bad adverse reaction to 20mg fluoxetine right off, plus you had withdrawal symptoms when you went off.

It can take a while for your nervous system to settle down from these shocks. Improvement can be very gradual and frustrating. You've seen some improvement so far, that is a good sign.

See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

It might be best for you to help your nervous system heal with fresh food, regular sleep, low stress, and no alcohol or other chemical experiments. You might try these to keep calm while you heal:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you."

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hey Gridley,

thank you for your answer. I am still thinking about what I can do good. Should I just eat fresh food or should I also try supplements like magnesium, omega 3, inositol, etc. I don’t drink alcohol since maybe 5 month, don’t smoke and so on.

It feels hard to just sit their and wait for recovery. Sometimes I feel a bit stronger and less tired, but the ED and no libido is still there. But than I go to the gym and realize I have no power at all :/. 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Ben190 said:

Hey Gridley,

thank you for your answer. I am still thinking about what I can do good. Should I just eat fresh food or should I also try supplements like magnesium, omega 3, inositol, etc. I don’t drink alcohol since maybe 5 month, don’t smoke and so on.

It feels hard to just sit their and wait for recovery. Sometimes I feel a bit stronger and less tired, but the ED and no libido is still there. But than I go to the gym and realize I have no power at all :/. 

I know it is frustrating to sit and wait for recovery. There are thing you can do.  Take a look at the links Alto provided.   I would try the magnesium and omegas, one at a time and at a low dose initially.  No other supplements.  Avoid caffeine and sugar.  As far as exercise goes, in withdrawal a 30-minute gentle walk in nature is often preferable to strenuous exercise, which can be overstimulating.  Of course, eating healthily helps.

How is your sleep?

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you than I will try it :) my sleep was good until one week ago... I always wake up at around 5 with no clue why. Every day nearly same time and than cant get sleep again... 

Yes it’s frustrating, you hope for progress but it takes time. A lot of time sometimes 🙊 in addition I have some brain problems, like if I got a bit stupid... sometimes I just find hard to get things clearly... 

U also imagined some problems?

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, Ben190 said:

U also imagined some problems?

I've been tapering for quite some time now, first before I discovered SA then with SA's elf (the latter is much better).  My situation is complicated by being polydrugged.  I've experienced many of the typical WD symptoms, sleep problems, anxiety, muscle pain, anhedonia.  The symptoms come and go.  

I'm about to finish my Lexapro taper, then start in on the Ativan.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Ah yes I saw your signature. What is Ativan? What do u do when you are frustrated about things going?

Edited by Gridley

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Ben190 said:

Ah yes I saw your signature. What is Ativan? What do u do when you are frustrated about things going?

Ativan is a benzodiazepine like Xanax or Valium.

When I get frustrated I work on accepting, accepting, accepting.  And not projecting into the future about how long the taper is going to take (a while as you can see from my signature with two more drugs to taper) and instead focussing on "being here now."  It's amazing how things drop away when I make myself be here now, the past drops off and the future disappears.  It's a work in progress for sure.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Thank you for Your answers. I understand, so you try to live more in the moment right now and try to accept the situation. I also try to accept but sometimes it’s hard when you have ED/ no libido as 26 year old guy and this since 7 months (also the month under fluoxetin where it went away). 

Thank you so much for your answers and attitude of thinking. It’s frustrating sometimes, but hope is there.

• 1 month later...

Hi I am still hoping for recovery. Health issues are becoming less intense but no libido and Erectyle dysfunction are still there. I am so sad...

• 2 weeks later...

Help? :(

• Mentor

@Ben190  sorry to hear that you are struggling.
It’s good that you’re health issues are becoming less intense, so that’s a really good thing. This all recovery process takes time, and I know how you feel, when it does not seem like that when we are struggling. Patience and time is the way to our healing and taking good care of ourselves. 
Wishing you all the best🙏

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

Thank you :( I just want my old life back...

• Administrator

Don't we all.

Hey Alto, aren’t you fully recovered?