Jump to content
mstimc

Do We "Hang On" to Anxiety/Depression?

Recommended Posts

mstimc

This is a question I've often asked myself and shared with my therapist.  I'd like to know what the folks here think.  In some ways, do we "hang on" to our behavioral issues, be they anxiety, OCD or depression?  My anxiety/OCD was a beast, but it was a known beast.   There was a point where I expected to wake up with anxious thoughts, and early in my recovery process I was worried about the person I'd be without anxiety.  I once heard a Chinese proverb about change.  Change is like a man hanging onto a rock in the middle of a swift river.  He's cold, wet and miserable, but he's afraid of letting go of the rock and being swept downriver into the unknown.  Do we get so accustomed to living with our condition that the thought of living without it generates even more anxiety and fear?


Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Share this post


Link to post
servadei

This is a question I started asking myself more frequently.. especially now with the New Year. I can definitely say my wd nightmare is over but I still have my anxiety disorder. I hate it, obviously, but I also feel like I wouldn't know how to live without it. It's like being scared of being happy because something bad may happen, so it's just easier to stay anxious... If I may ask, what did your therapist say? Did he offer you any good advice, and would you be willing to share it?


CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

Share this post


Link to post
mstimc
13 hours ago, servadei said:

This is a question I started asking myself more frequently.. especially now with the New Year. I can definitely say my wd nightmare is over but I still have my anxiety disorder. I hate it, obviously, but I also feel like I wouldn't know how to live without it. It's like being scared of being happy because something bad may happen, so it's just easier to stay anxious... If I may ask, what did your therapist say? Did he offer you any good advice, and would you be willing to share it?

Hi Servadei

My therapist said the desire to hang on to some form of anxiety is common with his patients.  We get so used to being anxious it seems impossible to live without it.  When I start to respond anxiously to a situation, he reminded me its okay to feel "concerned but happy".  Most problems don't deserve the intense attention and over-thinking we give them.  We can give them the appropriate amount of attention, but otherwise its okay to get on with out lives.  Sometimes I still wake up at night thinking"I need to take care of this problem".  But instead of letting it keep me awake, I tell myself I can take care of it in the morning, and there's nothing I can do about it at 3:00 a.m. anyway.  One thing he told me has stuck with me: "I'd rather be wrong than feel powerless".   Feeling like I'm stuck in a situation I can't change produced anxiety, but if I can do something, I feel "in control", and even if I make a mistake I can correct it.  Accepting there are some situations where I have no control is something I'm still working on, but at least I can recognize the problem and use CBT to decrease the anxiety and obsessive thoughts. 


Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Share this post


Link to post
servadei
On 1/4/2020 at 11:24 AM, mstimc said:

Hi Servadei

My therapist said the desire to hang on to some form of anxiety is common with his patients.  We get so used to being anxious it seems impossible to live without it.  When I start to respond anxiously to a situation, he reminded me its okay to feel "concerned but happy".  Most problems don't deserve the intense attention and over-thinking we give them.  We can give them the appropriate amount of attention, but otherwise its okay to get on with out lives.  Sometimes I still wake up at night thinking"I need to take care of this problem".  But instead of letting it keep me awake, I tell myself I can take care of it in the morning, and there's nothing I can do about it at 3:00 a.m. anyway.  One thing he told me has stuck with me: "I'd rather be wrong than feel powerless".   Feeling like I'm stuck in a situation I can't change produced anxiety, but if I can do something, I feel "in control", and even if I make a mistake I can correct it.  Accepting there are some situations where I have no control is something I'm still working on, but at least I can recognize the problem and use CBT to decrease the anxiety and obsessive thoughts. 

I really like this. Concerned, but happy - I always feel like it either concerned or happy. Didn't even realize how limiting is that form of thinking. I think that recognizing the problem is half the job already, and I wish you luck with further CBT. I strongly believe that if you're persistent about it, you will, sooner or later, start noticing changes in your thinking and therefore live more freely. :) I would love to hear your further achievements with this particular problem, so if you have time and you are willing, please write further. :)


CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

Share this post


Link to post
mstimc

I'll be happy to post updates, Servadei!  That's one of the reasons I joined this group--to share successful strategies and show people we can get through it!


Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Share this post


Link to post
MollyMac
On 1/4/2020 at 10:24 AM, mstimc said:

"concerned but happy"

I really like that! Thank you.


On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years. 

Finally off October 2018

150mg Prolonged Release Wellbutrin for 3.5 years till now. 

 

Starting tapering journey off Wellbutrin May 2020. Beginning by cutting Prolonged release tablet into 4 quarters to take at different times in the day.  Relieved to be finally doing this, but nervous! 

In Ireland there is ZERO knowledge on how to taper off Wellbutrin. Doctors provide no advice except to alternate days. 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Brooke

I think we absolutely hold onto it. After so many years of it, it becomes ingrained into our identity. Unconscious or realized, we’ve made all our life decisions through the frame of The Thing, whether that be anxiety or OCD or depression or whatever. To depart from that thought process is to depart from all we know about ourselves, and that is scary scary scary. 
 

I imagine it’s a sort of psychological equivalent to an Amish person making the choice to leave the Amish and enter into the modern world. On some level you’re still you, but when the entire context is changed, how do you navigate a new world without any frame of reference? 
 

I think that’s why it’s so hard for people to truly and fully transform. So much of the world we build is built on a foundation of The Thing. Not only have we rigged our own game to keep us comfortable in indulging our peccadillos, but we’re the only ones who have the power to overcome the traps we set for ourselves. 
 

 


Effexor XR 37.5mg and Wellbutrin XL 150mg from age 15-30 (2001-2016). Hell withdrawal. Drug free (and happy) since 2016.

 

I am the founder Happiness Is A Skill, a weekly newsletter dedicated to helping people heal from depression by learning the skill of happiness. Join hundreds of others and subscribe here: http://learnhappy.brookesiem.com/

 

I wrote this for the The Washington Post: I spent half my life on antidepressants. Today, I'm off the medication and I feel all right.

Share this post


Link to post
mstimc
6 hours ago, Brooke said:

I think we absolutely hold onto it. After so many years of it, it becomes ingrained into our identity. Unconscious or realized, we’ve made all our life decisions through the frame of The Thing, whether that be anxiety or OCD or depression or whatever. To depart from that thought process is to depart from all we know about ourselves, and that is scary scary scary. 
 

I imagine it’s a sort of psychological equivalent to an Amish person making the choice to leave the Amish and enter into the modern world. On some level you’re still you, but when the entire context is changed, how do you navigate a new world without any frame of reference? 
 

I think that’s why it’s so hard for people to truly and fully transform. So much of the world we build is built on a foundation of The Thing. Not only have we rigged our own game to keep us comfortable in indulging our peccadillos, but we’re the only ones who have the power to overcome the traps we set for ourselves. 
 

 

This is a great description of what I was trying to say--thank you Brooke!  And I love the moniker "The Thing".


Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat
21 hours ago, Brooke said:

I think that’s why it’s so hard for people to truly and fully transform. So much of the world we build is built on a foundation of The Thing. Not only have we rigged our own game to keep us comfortable in indulging our peccadillos, but we’re the only ones who have the power to overcome the traps we set for ourselves. 

 

And it is hard work to get out of the rut we are in.  Sometimes we can manage for a short time, or nearly get out of the rut, only to fall back in.  Then we have to recover and try it all over again.


Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
mstimc
7 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

 

And it is hard work to get out of the rut we are in.  Sometimes we can manage for a short time, or nearly get out of the rut, only to fall back in.  Then we have to recover and try it all over again.

I guess that's true of a lot of things in life.  I retired in December 2018 and had to invent a "new me" who didn't link his value with work.  Last September we moved from the US to Portugal so we could travel in Europe and I had to start a whole new life.  Because of the virus outbreak we may move back to the States next Spring, but it won't be back to normal--we won't move back to our old house or old city.  Every life challenge requires us to recover , adopt a new way of life, and move on till the next challenge.  Withdrawal and  recovery were some of worst years of my life but it did change me in come positive ways.  


Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy