PMS, PMDD, and menstrual cycle issues during withdrawal and after

DSN13

4 hours ago, Nypeaches89 said:

Do you use an œstrogen + progesterone one ? I started one but it’s only progesterone as the other ones are dangerous for smokers like me. I’m at day 2 of using that, hope it’ll help… 

I'm using estrogen + progesterone because of hormonal imbalance/PCOS. I felt most effects after 6 months of use, and felt most well after 2 years of use. But I have a hormonal imbalance, so of course it's going to be different for someone without.

I needed to try two different ones to find my third current, which I do very well on. The first one made me very sleepy all the time, the second I was on for only two months because it made me irritable and aggressive.

Hope it'll help you, for me the contraceptives act like an antidepressant. I feel best when taking them, and the one week where I have my period is my least favourite (It only counts for my current one, the last two I took made no difference really). This one cured my headaches, PCOS depression, made my body work normally again, etc. Again, if you have hormone imbalance of course you'll fell most well on a medicine that balances hormones... genius me.

You have to also look out because some can worsen your mental well-being and/or make you feel or act different than you usually do (personality change). It can also worsen your PMS, and lots of other side effects which most you won't experience. I have extremely few on mine, and on the other two I also experienced only 1-3 side effects maximum.

But if you stop them or change to another one it goes away, so don't worry. It's not like ADs where it has long lasting effects.

January 2021 - Took Effoxor 37.5mg then 75mg

June/July 2021 - Stopped taking Effoxor. (Cold turkey - had to reinstate 37.5mg two days later because of vomiting and then tapered quickly over the next few days). Mild withdrawal that lasted two weeks.

February 2022 - took 7.5mg Mirtazapine

4th April 2022 - stopped taking Mirtazapine 7.5mg (no tapering - I didn’t know about it until I was heavy into withdrawal.)

October 2023 - Escitalopram 1mg for two weeks, stopped because of strong heart issues (not that it did anything else except side effects)

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Currently taking Hormonal Contraceptive for PCOS since age of 13 (changed few brands over the years) and Probiotics

Occasionally Vitamins

17 hours ago, SunnyRainyDays said:

I'm using estrogen + progesterone because of hormonal imbalance/PCOS. I felt most effects after 6 months of use, and felt most well after 2 years of use. But I have a hormonal imbalance, so of course it's going to be different for someone without.

I needed to try two different ones to find my third current, which I do very well on. The first one made me very sleepy all the time, the second I was on for only two months because it made me irritable and aggressive.

Hope it'll help you, for me the contraceptives act like an antidepressant. I feel best when taking them, and the one week where I have my period is my least favourite (It only counts for my current one, the last two I took made no difference really). This one cured my headaches, PCOS depression, made my body work normally again, etc. Again, if you have hormone imbalance of course you'll fell most well on a medicine that balances hormones... genius me.

You have to also look out because some can worsen your mental well-being and/or make you feel or act different than you usually do (personality change). It can also worsen your PMS, and lots of other side effects which most you won't experience. I have extremely few on mine, and on the other two I also experienced only 1-3 side effects maximum.

But if you stop them or change to another one it goes away, so don't worry. It's not like ADs where it has long lasting effects.

Wow so great you found the right contraceptive! I suspect I might have some gynecological issue since my ovulation is extremely painful, and periods newly long and so heavy + the new PMDD. Or that’s all SSRI withdrawal, which wouldn’t surprise me. Anyway I feel better today, at day 22 of my cycle. I’m very scared of the 4 days before my periods which are going to be the worst. Hopefully not as bad as the 2 nightmareish days after ovulation. Hope my birth control will help . 

April 2020: 10mg Escitalopram 

July 2020: fast tapper tried to quit. Failed. 
september 2020: Trintellix 20mg. 
october 2021: fast taper off Trintellix (1 week). Reinstated 10mg in January 2022 for 3 weeks, failed, kindling effect so I quit rapidly, now off meds since then. 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:51 AM, Ariel said:

@Nypeaches89

Could you please set up your drug signature? 

As a fellow member of this site I rely on this information to provide context for people's comments. 

It would be very helpful!

Thank you ❤️

@Nypeaches89you will find Ariel a supportive peer here. :)

2002-2021: 19 yrs on/off psychotropics

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

3/15/23: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.2 mg???

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

On 7/29/2022 at 4:29 AM, ChessieCat said:

There is this one:

https://medicatingnormal.com/

From August 2020:

Medicating Normal - SurvivingAntidepressants.org Community Discussion video (1 hour and 26 minutes)

Alto is one of the panelists and gives a brief description of her withdrawal experience in this panel discussion which was shown after the presentation of the Surviving Antidepressants Presents showing of "Medicating Normal": 

AND

mad-in-america-surviving-antidepressants-an-interview-with-alto - audio and transcript

This podcast is an interview with Altostrata (SA's founder) and she talks about her own research and withdrawal experience and why she started this website after she was unable to get help from the medical professionals for her Paxil withdrawal symptoms.

These amazing moderators are making things happen!!! 👏 i’ll be happy to share my testimony if ever needed.

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

5 hours ago, DazzlingCold said:

These amazing moderators are making things happen!!! 👏 i’ll be happy to share my testimony if ever needed.

I read her interview, I have exactly the same experience than her. The denial of psychiatrists is what baffle me the most. Why don’t they hear us ?

october 2021: fast taper off Trintellix (1 week). Reinstated 10mg in January 2022 for 3 weeks, failed, kindling effect so I quit rapidly, now off meds since then. 

On 8/1/2022 at 2:19 AM, Nypeaches89 said:

I read her interview, I have exactly the same experience than her. The denial of psychiatrists is what baffle me the most. Why don’t they hear us ?

Yes! Such shady businesses. I saw a brief part of Altos interview and I cannot imagine experiencing WD for 11 years. 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:18 PM, Onmyway said:

@Twinmom, I am in no way denying that you are experiencing strong symptoms before your period.

But as all diagnostic labels it is just that - a label. It became a 'disorder' in 2013 in the DSM IV. If you prefer to label yourself as having a disorder, you are free to do so. That is not going to change my opinion that it is a made up label. 

It might help to know that the FDA had a special advisory in 1999 to agree that this constellation of symptoms were a psychiatric disorder so that they could approve fluoxetine for this use. Prozac's patent was expiring and so to avoid generic competition Eli Lilly rebranded fluoxetine as Serafem for Prozac.

https://www.webmd.com/women/pms/news/20000706/fda-approves-prozac-for-treating-severe-form-of-pms

https://universe.byu.edu/2000/05/16/prozacs-patent-soon-to-expire-controversy-still-rages/

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/loweringthebar/61457

Update, i started à progestative pill. Right after my last ovulation. It is stopping my periods which I dont like. I started in the middle of a pms/pmdd phase, I feel stuck in it. I think I’ll quit the pill momentarily to get my periods, and maybe hopefully find relief.  

12 hours ago, Nypeaches89 said:

Update, i started à progestative pill. Right after my last ovulation. It is stopping my periods which I dont like. I started in the middle of a pms/pmdd phase, I feel stuck in it. I think I’ll quit the pill momentarily to get my periods, and maybe hopefully find relief.  

Is the stopping your periods affecting you negatively? Relief vibes on your way.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:08 PM, DazzlingCold said:

Is the stopping your periods affecting you negatively? Relief vibes on your way.

I’m used to pms symptoms going away with periods so it was a weird change since I feel kind of weirdly depressed. I stopped the pill a while to provoke periods. No relief tho my brain still feels absolutely broken 😀

I've had very debilitating periods all my life (ie so much pain and nausea that I can't eat or drink water for nearly 2 days and I spend a whole 2 days in epsom salt baths. (chills, fever, and sweating too). I've tried almost everything under the sun, and ginger, turmeric anti histamines, magnesium and drinking pedialyte has been the best bet so far, but it is so far from bullet proof and might help with some relief but I'm still very debilitated.

I was experiencing this before I started lamictal but wondering if my earlier meds from childhood-college created hormonal imbalances and it's still lingering.

Lamictal has made things slightly worse, now I get these very dark intense depressive moods both at the beginning and for several days after.  And large clots. I need to see a doctor for the latter. 

I have an anemia diagnosis and the iron infusions really helped with the depression after my period...but the mood at the onset is still very difficult. I feel lamictal is contributing to some of these

1993- Ritalin (unsure of of Dosage 1996- Discontinued ritalin, started dexedrine (10 mgs) 1997- started Clonodine for sleep issues from dexedrine (tapered off of it around 2002)

2007- Trazadone for sleep (not sure how long I was on it, it was less than 2 years, could have been way less) 2011-  6 month taper off Dexedrine 
2015- Lamictal (250) 2015 - Seroquel, Latuda, prn gabapentin, PRN Propranolol, haldol and PRN Ativan (discontinued all (except Ativan, propranolol and gabapentin) 1-2 months after starting)

2017-Lamictal, September:  started taper down

2018- Lamictal-  March- down to 150, decided to pause taper 2018- Gabapentin- Discontinued PRN Gabapentin in October2019- Ativan- discontinued PRN Ativan immediately

2022- Lamictal- April- started the taper again

2022- Lamictal- Currently at 40 mg (as of 4/6/23)

currently 37.5 mg (as of 5/22/23) then I paused 

- Currently taking PRN propanolol  very infrequently might consider going off of it once my lamictal taper is done 

Current supplements- Magnesium glycinate, vitamin B, pure cbd oil,Vitamin D, Ginkgo biloba, fish oil, DIM, Skullcap tincture,

Intro post: Here

24 minutes ago, LanaCoFireBird said:

I've had very debilitating periods all my life (ie so much pain and nausea that I can't eat or drink water for nearly 2 days and I spend a whole 2 days in epsom salt baths. (chills, fever, and sweating too). I've tried almost everything under the sun, and ginger, turmeric anti histamines, magnesium and drinking pedialyte has been the best bet so far, but it is so far from bullet proof and might help with some relief but I'm still very debilitated.

I was experiencing this before I started lamictal but wondering if my earlier meds from childhood-college created hormonal imbalances and it's still lingering.

Lamictal has made things slightly worse, now I get these very dark intense depressive moods both at the beginning and for several days after.  And large clots. I need to see a doctor for the latter. 

I have an anemia diagnosis and the iron infusions really helped with the depression after my period...but the mood at the onset is still very difficult. I feel lamictal is contributing to some of these

I’m sure it made it worse. 
i also take magnesium and tried anti histamines once but unfortunately don’t have them here so I’m sleepless. 
I need to get blood tests done, doctor said I could be anemic during periods too. Since I quit ssri I have an extremely heavy flow, never had that before. 

On 8/7/2022 at 2:15 AM, Nypeaches89 said:

I’m used to pms symptoms going away with periods so it was a weird change since I feel kind of weirdly depressed. I stopped the pill a while to provoke periods. No relief tho my brain still feels absolutely broken 😀

Aaaa, makes sense. I completely feel you on the pms going away with periods. It's like night and day for me. Hope you find something that works soon. It's no fun! Hugs

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/26/2022 at 6:32 PM, Twinmom said:

@Onmywayyour comment sounds totally flippant and gaslighting towards those of us suffering with PMDD and trying to navigate it without antidepressants. Not at all helpful.

Twinmom, I understand --

The suffering of pmdd is very, very real. The only way the label itself helps me is a way to think of my withdrawal symptoms *and, importantly, receive support for them via therapy. Not many clinics are enlightened enough to believe in severe PAWS. 

For me, pmdd and its very, very real life-limiting (even life-threatening) symptoms aren't an organic disorder that magically popped up. Bam!, withdrawal, and suddenly suicidal with every menstrual cycle.

No one here is going to say your experience isn't legitimate. As a fellow sufferer, my heart goes out to you. And sending solidarity to all on this thread. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

22 hours ago, Nypeaches89 said:

I’m sure it made it worse. 
i also take magnesium and tried anti histamines once but unfortunately don’t have them here so I’m sleepless. 
I need to get blood tests done, doctor said I could be anemic during periods too. Since I quit ssri I have an extremely heavy flow, never had that before. 

Highly recommend the blood work to test for anemia, especially if you have heavy flow. I ended up needing infusions onto of supplementation and getting that corrected has done wonders for my mood and energy levels.

1993- Ritalin (unsure of of Dosage 1996- Discontinued ritalin, started dexedrine (10 mgs) 1997- started Clonodine for sleep issues from dexedrine (tapered off of it around 2002)

2007- Trazadone for sleep (not sure how long I was on it, it was less than 2 years, could have been way less) 2011-  6 month taper off Dexedrine 
2015- Lamictal (250) 2015 - Seroquel, Latuda, prn gabapentin, PRN Propranolol, haldol and PRN Ativan (discontinued all (except Ativan, propranolol and gabapentin) 1-2 months after starting)

2017-Lamictal, September:  started taper down

2018- Lamictal-  March- down to 150, decided to pause taper 2018- Gabapentin- Discontinued PRN Gabapentin in October2019- Ativan- discontinued PRN Ativan immediately

2022- Lamictal- April- started the taper again

2022- Lamictal- Currently at 40 mg (as of 4/6/23)

currently 37.5 mg (as of 5/22/23) then I paused 

- Currently taking PRN propanolol  very infrequently might consider going off of it once my lamictal taper is done 

Current supplements- Magnesium glycinate, vitamin B, pure cbd oil,Vitamin D, Ginkgo biloba, fish oil, DIM, Skullcap tincture,

Intro post: Here

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone 

once withdrawals 4 months ago I have not received my period. Has anyone else experienced this? I don’t know what to do :( 

July 2nd- Escitolpram oxalate 10 mg 

Lorazepam 0.5 mg as needed (everyday for about two weeks)

Sleeping pills (dont remember the name) 3.5-7 mg depending on feeling (took everyday for about a week and a half)

Discontinued around two weeks later

Returned on Lexapro July 26th and continued on taking them until August 13th. Stopped cold turkey.

Lorazepam 0.5 mg Aug 13, Aug 21st and 23rd.

Currently taking magnesium 

Hi,

Since I withdrew from Trintellix and went through these horrible wd symptoms, I’ve developed a premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Every cycle, my mood crashes deep down into a dark depression, sometimes mixed with irritability, anger, anxiety. I also get post menstrual syndrome once every few months (not at every cycle), which is worse because for some reason I get akathesia during these phases. Which is the absolute torture, if you know you know. 
‘I’d like to know if other women on this forum got PMDD from withdrawal, and if it got better over time. 

Thanks 

January 2021 - Took Effoxor 37.5mg then 75mg

June/July 2021 - Stopped taking Effoxor. (Cold turkey - had to reinstate 37.5mg two days later because of vomiting and then tapered quickly over the next few days). Mild withdrawal that lasted two weeks.

February 2022 - took 7.5mg Mirtazapine

4th April 2022 - stopped taking Mirtazapine 7.5mg (no tapering - I didn’t know about it until I was heavy into withdrawal.)

October 2023 - Escitalopram 1mg for two weeks, stopped because of strong heart issues (not that it did anything else except side effects)

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Currently taking Hormonal Contraceptive for PCOS since age of 13 (changed few brands over the years) and Probiotics

Occasionally Vitamins

• 1 month later...

My period is irregular lately in protracted withdrawl. One month it was lasting 3 weeks, other months it’s absent entirely. 

bloodwork and scans show up normal and the only recommendation is to go on hormonal birth control, which doesn’t seem like a good idea considering how sensitive my nervous system is. 

Has anyone implemented hormonal bc while in withdrawl? How did it work out? 

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 5:21 AM, ElaineBenes5 said:

My period is irregular lately in protracted withdrawl. One month it was lasting 3 weeks, other months it’s absent entirely. 

bloodwork and scans show up normal and the only recommendation is to go on hormonal birth control, which doesn’t seem like a good idea considering how sensitive my nervous system is. 

Has anyone implemented hormonal bc while in withdrawl? How did it work out? 

Yes, the mini pill. Made my pmdd last the whole month. Made me insomniac.

• 6 months later...
On 12/10/2022 at 7:11 AM, Nypeaches89 said:

Hi,

Since I withdrew from Trintellix and went through these horrible wd symptoms, I’ve developed a premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Every cycle, my mood crashes deep down into a dark depression, sometimes mixed with irritability, anger, anxiety. I also get post menstrual syndrome once every few months (not at every cycle), which is worse because for some reason I get akathesia during these phases. Which is the absolute torture, if you know you know. 
‘I’d like to know if other women on this forum got PMDD from withdrawal, and if it got better over time. 

Thanks 

hi I know this is old, but how are you doing??? I am in withdrawal and suffering such insane worsening of pmdd symptoms. I have prescription for birth control and I am so nervous to start it. I also have aggressive endo so I need to suppress my cycle. I can’t find anything on here of girls in w/d starting birth control

5/10-viibryd 15 to 10 start 10 prozac

5/17-adrenaline surges, panic, viibryd to 7.5

5/20-stopped viibryd ?serotonin syndrome

5/23-stopped Prozac as symptoms continued 

6/2-reinstated viibryd 5mg

6/7-10 mg-better x 1 week only

6/13-15 mg-same thing

6/22-20 mg-same thing but akathesia went away

7/7-viibryd 25 mg split 15 am 10 pm
7/7-started Lunesta to sleep, 0.25 Ativan prn.

7/27-started propanolol 10 mg BID
8/1-viibryd reduced to 10 mg am 10 pm

• Mentor

Ladies, any of you suffering from PMDD my heart goes out to you.  Severe PMDD was one of the reasons I first got on the psych drug merry-go-round.  Two weeks per month I dealt w/ horrific depression, overeating, and suicidal ideation.  It's literally a miracle that I'm still alive after going through decades of pure torture.  Thankfully, when I reached menopause my fight was finally over.  I felt like I had a new lease on life.  But then my new fight began - fighting to get off all the drugs that I was put on during my decades of suffering, which never really helped all that much anyway.

Your suffering is real... I see you, I hear you, I feel you!  

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

@Catina7, this was my fear, that symptoms won't dissipate til menopause. I'm 43 so the thought of waiting this out isn't really doable- recently looking into bioidentical progesterone, as a last resort here.

Anything (strategies, support etc) that helped you ride out the symptoms til menopause?

Had final dose of any drug in December of 2016 after a too fast taper of celexa and 2 year taper (probably still too fast) of lamictal. Acute withdrawal ended 1.5 years later in 2018. Current hormonal disruption not resolving, 'PMDD' symptoms- chronically depressed, intermittent suicidal ideation, interrupted quality of life. I KEEP GOING.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Mariposa said:

@Catina7, this was my fear, that symptoms won't dissipate til menopause. I'm 43 so the thought of waiting this out isn't really doable- recently looking into bioidentical progesterone, as a last resort here.

Anything (strategies, support etc) that helped you ride out the symptoms til menopause?

I did try progesterone for a while along with the psych drugs, but I couldn't find anything that gave me 100% relief.  If I had known about the ketogenic diet back then I probably would have tried that since my cravings for sugar and carbs were through the roof.    I applied a progesterone cream on my skin, but maybe there are better ways to do it.  I do think that balancing the hormones is key.  I hope the hormone therapy works for you!  I wish there were a magic fix to it but it's truly a combination of diet, exercise, and balancing the hormones...easier said than done, I know.  I spent many, many years suffering but I did make it through FINALLY!!!  

I'd love to hear how the hormonal therapy works for you!  

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

Oh thanks @Catina7 it's helpful to hear what you tried. I'm SO HAPPY you're on the other side of it.

I do know yeah the balance is the key, and even trauma is all wrapped up for us women in our cycles. It's a battle for sure. Will check in if I decide to do the progesterone, still will wait for blood tests to provide basis for it. Made some really great progress since w/d with clean eating, mindfulness and exercise, but phew how many times a month do I just want a total life reboot though😝

Had final dose of any drug in December of 2016 after a too fast taper of celexa and 2 year taper (probably still too fast) of lamictal. Acute withdrawal ended 1.5 years later in 2018. Current hormonal disruption not resolving, 'PMDD' symptoms- chronically depressed, intermittent suicidal ideation, interrupted quality of life. I KEEP GOING.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:16 PM, Ma205 said:

hi I know this is old, but how are you doing??? I am in withdrawal and suffering such insane worsening of pmdd symptoms. I have prescription for birth control and I am so nervous to start it. I also have aggressive endo so I need to suppress my cycle. I can’t find anything on here of girls in w/d starting birth control

I’m 19 months off now. I still do struggle with PMDD and post menstrual syndrome. I no longer have akathesia. I think there is progress but it is so small so slow that I don’t even notice it unless I look back at where I was 6 months ago. Last summer I tried the mini contraceptive pill for PMDD, well it made me totally and completely insomniac for a month, it was pure torture. I quit it eventually and got my sleep back. I could not take the normal bc pill because I’m a smoker. I’d still advise you to try the BC pill , you can’t suffer wd and pmdd and endo, that’s too much. Worst case like me you quit it after a month. I’d recommend seeing a naturopath for pmdd , there’s a ton of herbs and supplements that do help some women , unfortunately none worked for me but who knows. 

4 hours ago, Nypeaches89 said:

I’m 19 months off now. I still do struggle with PMDD and post menstrual syndrome. I no longer have akathesia. I think there is progress but it is so small so slow that I don’t even notice it unless I look back at where I was 6 months ago. Last summer I tried the mini contraceptive pill for PMDD, well it made me totally and completely insomniac for a month, it was pure torture. I quit it eventually and got my sleep back. I could not take the normal bc pill because I’m a smoker. I’d still advise you to try the BC pill , you can’t suffer wd and pmdd and endo, that’s too much. Worst case like me you quit it after a month. I’d recommend seeing a naturopath for pmdd , there’s a ton of herbs and supplements that do help some women , unfortunately none worked for me but who knows. 

oh darn 😕 yeah I can’t tolerate any herbs or supplements right now I’m hypersensitive to literally everything. I’m prob going to start it just so nervous. I’m on my period and my w/d symptoms have honestly been the best right now these last 3 days then they’ve been for the last 4 months so I’m nervous to introduce hormones but I mean if I don’t my natural ones will take over soon anyway lol

6/13-15 mg-same thing

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update, in case it's helpful to anyone- although based on what I researched it seems my NP was correct and many cases of PMDD are due to progesterone, in my case it seems to be an estrogen issue, with my estrogen levels double what they should be. The NP's  reaction :'you must feel bipolar' was a sad validation of why I've been through decades of misdiagnosis. Anyway, she wasn't sure what to do about it, and mentioned the pill and an oopharectomy and also estrogen blockers, all solutions that seem way off to me.... so off to see if I can see yet another specialist, blood tests in hand, to get some actual answers. Part of me still feels like my hormones were so wacked up by the withdrawal that I wonder if I'm still healing and balancing....

5 minutes ago, Mariposa said:

Just as an update, in case it's helpful to anyone- although based on what I researched it seems my NP was correct and many cases of PMDD are due to progesterone, in my case it seems to be an estrogen issue, with my estrogen levels double what they should be. The NP's  reaction :'you must feel bipolar' was a sad validation of why I've been through decades of misdiagnosis. Anyway, she wasn't sure what to do about it, and mentioned the pill and an oopharectomy and also estrogen blockers, all solutions that seem way off to me.... so off to see if I can see yet another specialist, blood tests in hand, to get some actual answers. Part of me still feels like my hormones were so wacked up by the withdrawal that I wonder if I'm still healing and balancing....

do you have painful periods? My estrogen has always been elevated and it’s because of endo. The lesions secrete their own estrogen. You may also just be estrogen dominant, which is usually a result of sluggish liver, poor gut health, increased fat mass, ect. Could be from withdrawal stress though. Not sure if you went through pmdd before withdrawal. Iv been very sensitive my entire life to changes in estrogen, not progesterone. I’m assuming because changes in estrogen mean a change in serotonin and I don’t do well with it.. I’m going to start a low dose birth control pill at the start of my next cycle. This would also help you to reduce your swings and the very high elevation of your estrogen. Although you are taking a small dose of estrogen in a pill, it shuts off yours brains signal to the ovary to secrete a ton of estrogen. Lastly, she should check your estrogen on days 2-5 of your cycle not midcycle, as your estrogen skyrockets at that point. Ps I’m also an NP in gyn. 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

Thanks for weighing in, appreciate any info I can get - more than just estrogen dominance since levels were 2x expected during luteal - days 19/20 or so. Plus, weight, liver, diet no issue here.  She was careful to test when I have symptoms, but I requested a test at ovulation to confirm what she saw in terms of levels. Period itself is fine for me, no endo suspected but I'm doing an ultrasound anyway to rule out anything provoking estrogen production. Steering clear of the pill- after my experience, definitely not for me and the NP agrees not worth the flatlining, there's gotta be another option!

7 minutes ago, Mariposa said:

Thanks for weighing in, appreciate any info I can get - more than just estrogen dominance since levels were 2x expected during luteal - days 19/20 or so. Plus, weight, liver, diet no issue here.  She was careful to test when I have symptoms, but I requested a test at ovulation to confirm what she saw in terms of levels. Period itself is fine for me, no endo suspected but I'm doing an ultrasound anyway to rule out anything provoking estrogen production. Steering clear of the pill- after my experience, definitely not for me and the NP agrees not worth the flatlining, there's gotta be another option!

Ultrasound won’t show endo unless you have a big endometrioma. May show adeno. Not sure your age as adeno risk increases as you age. But yeah let me know if you find a solution other than basic western medicine methods because I’m stumped. 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

Correct- endo not suspected here but if there's any growth or anything provoking the estrogen production the ultrasound would catch that. Will definitely check back in with this thread if I find any solutions. Hope you get some relief from the pill, it's a reasonable step and every situation so different!

Such a terrible condition, no words for how it's claimed my life. But, at least the validation of the hormones vs it being a mental issue is a huge relief, so for anyone who is being told hormone testing is not a thing, like I was, keep looking for the right help.

Has anyone tried Prometrium and had their depression worsen?  I know my estrogen and progesterone ratio is way off (progesterone too low), so I tried progesterone as Prometrium.  Reacted negatively to it, but I was thinking about trying a bio identical cream instead, at a lower dose.  Has anyone else tried this and felt better?

Oct. 2012: Started Lexapro 10 mg for situational depression/anxiety   April 2014: Started tapering, to 7.5 mg.   Sept (?) 2014: Tapered to 5 mg.  

June 2015: Dropped to 2.5 mg.   2015: Dropped to 1.25 mg with liquid.  2016: Discontinued Lexapro Cold Turkey after delivery of baby .  Tried Zoloft 50 mg x 2 days.  Became inpatient and was placed on Lexapro 20 mg over course of two weeks.  

March 10: Discharged from hospital on Lexapro 20 mg, Klonopin 0.5 to 1.0 mg as needed for sleep (rarely used).  March 2016: 15 mg Lexapro.  Pdoc tried adding Wellbutrin, felt slightly manic and quit after 3 days.

May 2016; Lexapro 15 mg, Buspar 10 mg, Vistaril for sleep, and Lamictal 25 mg.   June 4 '16: 13.75 mg Lexapro, 7.5 mg Buspar, Lamictal 25 mg.  July '16: No more Vistaril!  

October 16:  Buspar, 3.75 mg.  Lexapro 11.7 mg.  Lamictal 25.  10/23: 11.1 mg Lexapro, 3.75 Buspar, 25 Lamictal  01/17: 10 mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Buspar, CT Lamictal due to rash 

6/2022?: 1.9 mg Lexapro, 3.75 Buspar   12/2022: health anxiety/virus, not sleeping well.  Tried melatonin, trazodone, Benadryl 0.25 mg Xanax prn for sleep    1/10: 2mg lex   1/13: 2.2 mg lex   1/22: back to 2 mg Lex   1/25:  7.5 mg Remeron for sleep    2/16: 1.875 Remeron for sleep

9 hours ago, leahbean said:

Has anyone tried Prometrium and had their depression worsen?  I know my estrogen and progesterone ratio is way off (progesterone too low), so I tried progesterone as Prometrium.  Reacted negatively to it, but I was thinking about trying a bio identical cream instead, at a lower dose.  Has anyone else tried this and felt better?

no but if you truly have pmdd you will react to any progesterone/progestin. 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

I also heard some women with pmdd say they were helped by progesterone (on non-withdrawal related forums, mind you) … I myself tried the progestin pill and it didn’t help. I don’t know if this contraceptive pill is exactly the same as taking progesterone supplementation  …? I also wonder if taking progesterone cream could have any effect? I’m not a scientist lol, very confused. Also very confused as to why every time I ask to test my hormones to doctors they basically look at me like I’m the most lunatic person they ever saw their entire f****** life.  

55 minutes ago, Nypeaches89 said:

I also heard some women with pmdd say they were helped by progesterone (on non-withdrawal related forums, mind you) … I myself tried the progestin pill and it didn’t help. I don’t know if this contraceptive pill is exactly the same as taking progesterone supplementation  …? I also wonder if taking progesterone cream could have any effect? I’m not a scientist lol, very confused. Also very confused as to why every time I ask to test my hormones to doctors they basically look at me like I’m the most lunatic person they ever saw their entire f****** life.  

ugh I’m sorry. Yeah hormone testing is usually unrealiable.. Iv done it and it changes cycle to cycle. The levels also fluctuate throughout the day. So lots of false positives and false negatives. You could just try the cream and see if it helps. That’s a sure way to see. 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy