Puppies123: daughter taking Wellbutrin

Puppies123

Not sure if I’m doing this right but I guess you’ll let me know if I’m not. My daughter is thinking about tapering her Wellbutrin. She takes 150mg of Wellbutrin XR, extended release once a day and asked her doctor about tapering. He gave her 75mg generic HCI Wellbutrin to take twice a day to c/o to. She has been on Wellbutrin for about 2 1/2 years. Can you tell me how she should taper off this medication? She works full time at a university and has to be able to go to work.  Thank you!

• manymoretodays changed the title to Puppies123: Wellbutrin
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Puppies123.

This link gives very specific instructions about tapering Wellbutrin.  

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley and thank you for responding. I read up on the Wellbutrin, thank you. How should she c/o from 150XR to the 75mg HCI twice a day? She will stay there for awhile to stabilize. We would like her transition to be as smooth as possible. Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Puppies123 said:

How should she c/o from 150XR to the 75mg HCI twice a day?

This is a little more complicated than the usual crossover because when you cut the XL it becomes immediate release, and your daughter will be dealing with two new forms of the drug, HCL sustained release and immediate release.

Here's two possibilities  

(1) Since according to the link, a switch from XR to HCL sustained release is less bumpy than a switch to immediate release,  you could do a one day cold switch from XR to HCL.  The advantage of this method is you're not introducing a third form of the drug, immediate release.  The disadvantage is that you're not gradually introducing twice-daily dosing and not gradually introducing the HCL.

Or

(2) Cut the 150XR in half, giving you 75mg immediate release.  Have this as your first 75mg dose.  The second dose would be the 75mg HCL sustained release.  Do this for a week.

After a week switch to 75mg HCL for both doses.  The advantages and disadvantages are the opposite from the first method.

Another advantage of this method is that it gradually introduces the HCL.

Either way could be a little bumpy but should stabilize fairly soon.  I would lean to method 1 but wanted to give you an option.

You're right to wait to stabilize before tapering.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi again Gridley and thank you. So you would just switch strait over to the HCL Twice a day? What times in the day would you dose? IYO do you think she will be able to handle her job. She works one on one with clients and needs to be ok or ok enough? The good thing about this is she doesn’t have to start cutting pills yet and can just get stable for her taper. I’m really trying to find the best approach for her to take. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/1/2020 at 2:22 AM, Puppies123 said:

So you would just switch strait over to the HCL

Sorry for the late response--I didn't see your post.

I think it would work fine to do the straight switch from XR to HCL twice a day.  Choose a time in the morning and evening that are 12 hours apart that would be convenient for your daughter. 8 A.M, and 8 P.M or whatever works for her.

Things may be a little bumpy for the first few days but should straighten out reasonably quickly.  You might start the switchover on the weekend.

This is a fairly straightforward switch, so I think the chances are good it won't interfere with her job performance.  As you said, she's not going to be tapering yet and shouldn't for perhaps a month to get accustomed to the new formulation.  We can determine when she's ready by how she's feeling.  I think your conservative cautious approach will serve her well.

To make sure I see your posts type @Gridley at the beginning of your post.  You'll see a pop-up of "@Gridley. " Click on it and I'll be notified that you've posted.

Please keep us updated on how things are going.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 1 year later...

Bupropion/Wellbutrin HCL (XL) 150Mg

I am trying to figure out the best way to taper this medication. Because this is time released would it be better to switch to a different form of this medication or is it possible to taper straight from this? Also how do you cut down the doses? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please see Post #1 of the topic which Gridley linked for you at the beginning of last year.  It explains how to get non standard doses.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:28 AM, Gridley said:

This link gives very specific instructions about tapering Wellbutrin.  

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

7 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Please see Post #1 of the topic which Gridley linked for you at the beginning of last year.  It explains how to get non standard doses.

Thank you, ChessieCat. I am actually inquiring for my daughter. She thought she would taper in 2019 but didn’t. I still didn’t really understand how she would taper. Is XR the same as XL? She is on XL so I made a mistake in 2019 when I asked for help. Would she still need to switch to another one? From the tapering information you sent me it looks like she can taper from the XL and add in another kind. Is this correct? 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Puppies123: daughter taking Wellbutrin
  • Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Puppies123 said:

I am actually inquiring for my daughter.

It would be better for your daughter to join SA and get direct assistance to taper.  It is very difficult for staff to work through a third party.

Please post advising when she joins and her member name so that we can merge the information.  Thank you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you for all your help. She won’t come on the forum that’s why I’m doing it. I’ll figure it out with what you gave me so far. Thank you again.

• Moderator Emeritus
44 minutes ago, Puppies123 said:

She won’t come on the forum that’s why I’m doing it.

We have found that members who get involved directly with their drug tapering can feel more empowered because they feel that they have more control over what is happening to them.  And when they achieve small goals along the way it is very encouraging because they have achieved it by themselves.  And it can give them more strength and determination to get through the more difficult challenges that they face during their journey to get off their drug/s.

They can also get support from other members who understand what they are going through instead of feeling isolated.

Thank you for all your help. She won’t come on the forum that’s why I’m doing it. I’ll figure it out with what you gave me so far. Thank you again.

I understand what you are saying. I was on Benzo Buddies for years coming off Xanax and Remeron. I couldn’t have done it without them. I lost years of my life while in withdrawal. I am trying to help my daughter the best I can. I’m not familiar with Wellbutrin so I just needed to understand how she will go about tapering it but mostly if she needed to switch to a different form of it to taper since she is on the XL. I’ll study what you sent me. I do appreciate the help you have given me.