Nicjk

Nicjk: Insomnia from Lexapro

Nicjk
7 hours ago, Shep said:

Does the pounding heart symptom go away soon after you take clonazepam? 

I am unsure of this because I only take clonazepam at night to get to sleep. I took only half last night (0.25mg) and then woke up 2.5 - 3 hours later, wide awake at 1am. I then battled

to get back to sleep, took another Restavit sleeping tablet and woke up at 4am (30

mins ago) wide awake. I would rather stabilise on the antidepressant for a while and then wean off the clonazepam because the withdrawals from clonazepam seem to be worse. I will remain on 5mg Lexapro while I taper. Can you suggest how to taper this clonazepam? I can’t remember which nights I have taken it and which nights I haven’t but I am definitely dependent on it now. 

Shep
16 hours ago, Nicjk said:

I am unsure of this because I only take clonazepam at night to get to sleep. I took only half last night (0.25mg) and then woke up 2.5 - 3 hours later, wide awake at 1am. I then battled

to get back to sleep, took another Restavit sleeping tablet and woke up at 4am (30

mins ago) wide awake.

Are you taking Restavit every night when you wake up or only periodically? 

It would be better to take the full dose of the clonazepam every night and then taper off it after you come off the antidepressant. If the Lexapro is causing insomnia, your insomnia may improve after you come off it. 

Nicjk
On 6/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, Shep said:

It would be better to take the full dose of the clonazepam every

@Shep I am living in a nightmare at the moment. I didn’t think I was dependent on Clonazepam so a few days ago I took half a tablet and then I didn’t take one the next night. Well yesterday I felt like I was dying. I couldn’t (still can’t) eat or focus on anything. I am going through waves of panic and depression and I am mentally numb. I went straight back on my usual dose of clonazepam after the one night I skipped it but I am still experiencing some of the horrible symptoms. Is there someone that can guide me about how to slowly taper off my 0.5mg of clonazepam? My psych wants to wean me off it over 2 weeks and my doctor mirrors whatever the psych suggests. This is all so sad because I have a little 14 month old boy depending on me. 

ChessieCat

Please answer this question that Shep asked.  Thank you.

Nicjk

Sorry missed this. I was taking Restavit every night but now I’m not taking it. Also, I feel that it will be better for me to go off clonazepam before I go off Lexapro. 

ChessieCat
1 hour ago, Nicjk said:

I was taking Restavit every night but now I’m not taking it.

Drug signature states:  1st January to current - Doxylamine (Restavit) 18.75mg for sleep

Please add the date you stopped it to your drug signature so that it is up to date.  Thank you.

ChessieCat

From this topic:  Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

"If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug)."

Nicjk
1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

From this topic:  Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

"If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug)."

I get terrible insomnia when I go to 2.5mg of Lexapro and this situation is already giving me the worst insomnia ever so I would really prefer to cut out the clonazepam first. Is there any guide that I can use to work out my taper? The Ashton Manual seems to only be relevant for higher doses 

ChessieCat

It's only been about 3 weeks since your reinstated Lexapro(?).  Please add the drug name to the signature line so that it isn't misread.

Reinstated WHAT DRUG 5mg (0.06g) 16th May 2020 - Current

We generally recommend holding for 2-3 months (or longer if necessary) and get stabilised be starting to taper the same or different drug.

We do have a benzo forum.  Our benzo mod is currently taking some time away from SA.  I will let her know that you wish to taper clonazepam soon.

Altostrata

Decreased Lexapro dose to 0.03g 7th May 2020

0.03g is the pill weight, is that correct? How much Lexapro active ingredient are you taking now? That would be in milligrams.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:58 AM, Shep said:

It would be better to take the full dose of the clonazepam every night and then taper off it after you come off the antidepressant. If the Lexapro is causing insomnia, your insomnia may improve after you come off it. 

Shep suggested this a week ago.

16 hours ago, Nicjk said:

@Shep I am living in a nightmare at the moment. I didn’t think I was dependent on Clonazepam so a few days ago I took half a tablet and then I didn’t take one the next night. Well yesterday I felt like I was dying. I couldn’t (still can’t) eat or focus on anything. I am going through waves of panic and depression and I am mentally numb. I went straight back on my usual dose of clonazepam after the one night I skipped it but I am still experiencing some of the horrible symptoms. Is there someone that can guide me about how to slowly taper off my 0.5mg of clonazepam? My psych wants to wean me off it over 2 weeks and my doctor mirrors whatever the psych suggests. This is all so sad because I have a little 14 month old boy depending on me. 

After Shep said to take the clonazepam regularly, you decided to quit it a few days later. Why did you do that?

15 hours ago, Nicjk said:

Sorry missed this. I was taking Restavit every night but now I’m not taking it. Also, I feel that it will be better for me to go off clonazepam before I go off Lexapro. 

Shep advised you differently. You can, of course, devise your own taper but we may not be able to fix it if you go wrong.

12 hours ago, Nicjk said:

I get terrible insomnia when I go to 2.5mg of Lexapro and this situation is already giving me the worst insomnia ever so I would really prefer to cut out the clonazepam first. Is there any guide that I can use to work out my taper? The Ashton Manual seems to only be relevant for higher doses 

You went off clonazepam and got worse insomnia, is that correct? When you go off a benzo, you can get worse "rebound" symptoms, such as insomnia. 

It seems you made your choice: You quit clonazepam, so not sure what you're asking of us here. You'll have to cope with the insomnia.

What is your question?