Annie3: chemical sensitivities

Annie3

Chemical sensitivities are autonomic dysregulation by definition. Have you seen any change in your chemical sensitivities since you're been tapering the benzo? Your sensitivities sound like hypersensitivity initially caused by overstimulation from an antidepressant, then later exacerbated by withdrawal syndrome (sleeplessness being a hallmark of iatrogenic nervous system dysregulation). Re-introduction of an antidepressant does not always resolve withdrawal symptoms, and can make the hypersensitivity worse. 

I am glad to read this!  This describes perfectly my symptoms.  Thank you, Altostrata, for posting this.

Annie, I am so sorry you are having to go through this but I am glad you wrote about it.  I have been struggling for months and months with this hypersensitivity, and doctors and my therapist all look at me like I'm just totally neurotic.  They seem to have never heard of this.  While I am not hypersensitive (that I know of) to fragrance, I react very strongly to spices (cinnamon, ginger, clove, cumin, pepper, etc) and caffeine (including chocolate).  They rev me up, bring insomnia and agitation, make me shiver like crazy, make me itch.  I will say that like you, it was much, much worse when I was on Lexapro, then Zoloft, then back to Lexapro.

I am trying to stabilize on 6.75 mg mirtazapine, that demon drug, after trying to taper too quickly.  Have not taken a benzo on a daily basis since 2005, but will admit to taking the occasional .5 mg clonazepam quite often in the past month just trying to sleep.  I have not had one in a week now, though.

What do you find that sugar does to your symptoms?  Oddly, I notice that for me it has a slightly sedating effect, which is probably why I eat too much of it.

Hope you are making it okay today.

Don't worry MissTrish,  I think I am neurotic in their eyes too....  Have you looked into Histamine intolerance? Some of those things you listed sound a lot like some of the histamine intolerance foods and everyone of those things rev me up too and leave me feeling stoned and give me head pressure and CRAZY too, which I feel right now. :(  Originally it was the SSRI's that induced my chemical sensitivities. Mirtazepine which I am now off I believe triggered the histamine intolerance to a greater degree since its sedating effects are due to a antihistamine.  Look into the histamine diet it helped me to a degree about a year ago.  I need to take my own advice and restart this.   :blush: I believe there is a link on this site on histamine intolerance. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3503-histamine-food-intolerance/

Please be careful with the Clonazepam.  I am stuck on it right now and it is not fun. :( 

About the sugar.  Its weird.  I was just sitting in a nice window that sat at 50-90% and I could eat sugar with no effects. However, when I am in a very bad wave sugar will rev me up, make me feel jittery ect.  And sometimes I think close or prolong a window.  My recent window I ate way to much, and it was almost sedating and calming. I sabotaged myself by eating to much.  Thing is in this window my appetite came back with a vengence and I was stuffing my face constantly, I think I gained about 6 pounds just from the short stint.  Now I am barely eating again and refuse to touch sugar.  Next window I told my husband I am not going to stuff myself like that again unless it's helpful healing foods.  Hope your doing well. :)

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

Hi Annie, I'm glad you are feeling a bit better, and hope it lasts.

Hi Westcoast,  thank you for stopping by.  Yes I had a window from about the 5th up until yesterday riding between 50-90% with two very bad wave days. !t felt so good to sleep and wake up in the middle of the night and fall asleep again. I even slept 9 hours one night!! That never ever happens.  My appetite came back and I was motivated and could see things clearly again.  Sadly since I have been on this rat race for a few years I knew I was going to have to go back in my hole sooner or later.  Here I am,  in my hole.  Yesterday I was feeling ill especially after I would eat. Ending the night with rage and extreme weepiness and depression.  I never slept a wink last night. The burning sensations are back, electricity running through my body, butterflies, nausea with no appetite, crying and depression.  

I hate the fear. I followed my hubby down to the basement this morning and laid on the couch so I could be near him as when I get like this I am to scared to be alone.  It's so frustrating going from feeling alright to useless, sick, and scared.  

This afternoon we laid down and hubby rubbed my back which I find extremely calming and I almost fell asleep before we had to leave to take our daughter to an appt.  darn! Then we went shopping and the whole time in the stores the anxiety, skin burning and crawling sensations intensified. Luckily he took her to dance and I am resting now. Good sign is I feel a bit calmer my headache is pretty intense (still tracking this but my last two windows were preceded by the same headache.  Sitting here I all of a sudden became hungry ( another really good sign).  Guess we will find out how I sleep tonight.  

Sorry for the whining and rant ;)  Hope all is well for you.

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Annie3, hope you got some sleep last night!

I have looked into the histamine diet in the past and should probably do so again.  I really need to work on sugar and carbs as well.  I sometimes get so overwhelmed trying to figure everything out!

I appreciate you sharing what works for you; sending you calm, serene energies!  I do Reiki, but am only Reiki level I, so don't do well at sending it long distance; only in person!

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

Hi Annie3

Your posts have pushed me into looking into low histamine diet. After using mirtazapine for years I'm sure this is a major issue. Everytime I eat I get reactions - like you, feel stoned! Sometimes so out of it I have to lay down wherever I am - kitchen floor sometimes! I just hate the thought of not eating what I fancy as I get such strong cravings for carbs...hate that we can't even get to enjoy food!

Sorry to hear you are in a bad wave again. Remember the windows - they will come back!

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Annie3, hope you got some sleep last night!

I have looked into the histamine diet in the past and should probably do so again.  I really need to work on sugar and carbs as well.  I sometimes get so overwhelmed trying to figure everything out!

I appreciate you sharing what works for you; sending you calm, serene energies!  I do Reiki, but am only Reiki level I, so don't do well at sending it long distance; only in person!

Thanks Miss Trish,  I actually did sleep an average of 6.5 hours the last few nights and then only 5 hours last night.  Feeling the intense anxiety again so I am not sure how tonight will be.  :unsure:   I cannot seem to find a Touch for Health Therapist near me, but I heard it is alot like Reiki.  Do you find Reiki helps you.  I swear the Touch for Health brought me into that last window. Thank you for sending me calm energies, I will take all the help I can get. :)

Hi Annie3

Your posts have pushed me into looking into low histamine diet. After using mirtazapine for years I'm sure this is a major issue. Everytime I eat I get reactions - like you, feel stoned! Sometimes so out of it I have to lay down wherever I am - kitchen floor sometimes! I just hate the thought of not eating what I fancy as I get such strong cravings for carbs...hate that we can't even get to enjoy food!

Sorry to hear you are in a bad wave again. Remember the windows - they will come back!

I hate the stoned feeling, it is not a nice stone at all.  ;)  I am trying to remember the windows, it is so hard. Every time I get hit I feel this is it I will never see another window. Its so frustrating and scary.  I cried a lot today. :( I appreciate the positive words though. I WILL remember that they will come back.  

Have you pinpointed any foods that are particularly bothersome for you yet?

Pretty much everything gives me severe brain fog! Everytime I eat anything (and I'm eating healthy foods) I get this terrible thick head with tingling all over my scalp.

I have severe brain fog that has never lifted - eating just makes it worse...along with any exposure to chemicals and light. It's very worrying but I have heard this gets better.

I would love to be able to eat what I like. Withdrawal would be so much easier!

Another question...do you get abnormal bowel sounds after eating too? I have just had a piece of toast and it sounds like fireworks are going off in there!

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Do you find Reiki helps you. 

Reiki is not a magic cure; it can provide calming, healing energy.  I've never noticed any effects long distance, although Reiki practitioners swear by it.  But then there are more things in life that I can only dream of; it may help in ways I don't know.  In person I have noticed a benefit, although not with every practitioner.  I think you have to have a good trusting relationship with the practitioner.  One can do Reiki on one's self, although I often forget that!  I need to remember to do that.  I think that is beneficial as well for psychological as well as physical reasons.

Hate the anxiety thing; hoping you find a window soon.  I tried taking Vitamin D3 starting Saturday and learned once again that my nervous system is wrecked.  Felt great for a full day and a half; by last night I felt like I'd drunk a pot of coffee.

But life goes on; it must, and we will survive.  WE must.

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

Another question...do you get abnormal bowel sounds after eating too? I have just had a piece of toast and it sounds like fireworks are going off in there!

I don't get bowel sounds after eating, but I do get indigestion and heartburn alot. Does it happen with all food or maybe you have a hard time digesting some things like wheat?  I am going through another bad bout and am having the hardest time getting anything down due to nausea and lack of appetite.  

Do you find Reiki helps you. 

Reiki is not a magic cure; it can provide calming, healing energy.  I've never noticed any effects long distance, although Reiki practitioners swear by it.  But then there are more things in life that I can only dream of; it may help in ways I don't know.  In person I have noticed a benefit, although not with every practitioner.  I think you have to have a good trusting relationship with the practitioner.  One can do Reiki on one's self, although I often forget that!  I need to remember to do that.  I think that is beneficial as well for psychological as well as physical reasons.

Hate the anxiety thing; hoping you find a window soon.  I tried taking Vitamin D3 starting Saturday and learned once again that my nervous system is wrecked.  Felt great for a full day and a half; by last night I felt like I'd drunk a pot of coffee.

Yes, I just need anything that can calm my system. I will take it!! :) I can't even tolerate the baby Vitamin D. It revs me up.  Yes we will survive. Today is a day I NEED to preach that.  I feel like I have fallen into my own private hell, its so exaughsting and confusing, but I don't need to tell that to anyone here.   Hope your having windows too.  :)

Sending hugs, prayers, energies to you!