Puppies123

Question about the Gemini scale

Puppies123

When First using my Gemini scale, do I tare it with the little bowl on it or without the bowl? I will be using the little bowl when I weigh the pill or powder. I couldn’t find an answer for this. Thank you!

Sassenach

Hi Puppies

Switch it on and it should settle to zero.

Place the bowl gently on the round plate and let it settle.

Press tare and it will settle back to zero.

Now weigh to desired dose.

There should be a set of instructions in the box.

Sassenach

Puppies123

Hi, I guess what I’m asking is when I’m putting the weights on it am I putting them in the bowl on the scale to calibrate the scale? Hope I’m making sense.

brassmonkey

Right out of the box the scales should not need calibration. 

The weights are used for two different things, the first is to do a calibration if the scale needs it. The second is to move the scale into its mid-range where it will be the most accurate. 

If you are going to use the weights it is best to put them in the bowl and the bowl on the scale before you turn it on.  Once everything is in place, turn the scale on and it will automatically detect the weight and bowl and set the readout to "00000".  Then you can measure out the medication.  The weight isn't really necessary until you start weighting amounts of less than 10mg (0.010).  All it will rally do is get in the way.  I find it helpful to fold a small postit note or slip of paper in half and open it back up and place this on the bowl.  This provides a bigger surface to place the ground up tablet on and an easier way to transfer it to the gel caps you are making up.  Either have the paper in place before you turn the scale on or put it in place and press TARE to zero the readout.

If you really need to calibrate the scale there are very good videos on line about how to do it.

This thread has a lot of good information about using the scales: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/

Puppies123

Hi Brassmonkey and thank you! I have been tapering Mirtezapine and am at 0.018grams. The way I’ve been weighing is every two weeks I cut my 15mg Mirtezapine in quarters then weigh my quarters as I shave off to get 0.018grams. I decrease 5% a month. I watched a video of a girl crushing her pill then weighing the powder to get her dose. My foggy brain then started to wonder if my scale was accurate since when I have calibrated I just put the weights right onto the scale without the little bowl so that’s the reason for my question. I do use the bowl when weighing. Sorry if this is monotonous.

brassmonkey

I believe that for calibrations it is best to leave the bowl off and use just the weight.

Puppies123

Thank you so much everyone for your help. I appreciate being able to come to this forum.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy