SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Malbec37: tapering off mirtazapine / Remeron and hit major WD

Malbec37

57 minutes ago, Malbec37 said:

I'm just finding it so hard to get my head around how small the doses have to be and how long it takes to get there...I mean I believe it it's just overwhelming...I spoke to my doctor yesterday and he said it was rubbish and there was no way that under 1mg could do anything...when I look at the tablets part of me believes him or wants to believe him but then I read on here about the many years of efforts people make....so much courage. 

And then I read somewhere on here from someone experienced saying that being stable doesn't mean being symptom free...it just means being stable with what symptoms you have and learning to live with them...I'm not sure I can! When I was on the medication and settled I had no symptoms and was able to manage my life really well and I had a very full and enjoyable life...I'm just really worried that now I am going to be having WD symptoms ongoing 

Sorry I think I'm just starting to panic a bit about this whole situation and like EVERYONE else I just want to feel myself and feel able to function normally 

Don't be negative and think positive there is a lot of people who quitting antidepresants just with few WD like nausea, headaches and so one and after months they are ok to go med free. Everyone is different if someone can't quit need stabilise and so on doesn't mean you will experience the same. 

Stay positive!

AD: Seroxat since 2005 20 mg and tapering from March 2018 10% every 4 weeks.

15-11-2019 down to 5.5 mg 

28-12-2019 crashed really bad on 5.5mg 

01-01-2020 updose to 7mg

16-01-2020 Updose to 9 mg

Benzos: Bromazepam 1.5 mg daily since 2015

Quit CT Bromazepam 16-01-2020 No withdrawals 

Occasionally 1.5 mg extra

Last extra 1.5 mg 12-01-2020

13 minutes ago, pinciukas said:

Don't be negative and think positive there is a lot of people who quitting antidepresants just with few WD like nausea, headaches and so one and after months they are ok to go med free. Everyone is different if someone can't quit need stabilise and so on doesn't mean you will experience the same. 

Stay positive!

Quitting meds cold turkey is the worst thing you can do to your body. Even if it seems it is fine it is a shock to your brain. I would advise against it.

2015 - Elicea for 2 months, quit cold turkey, survived withdrawal (brain zaps, severe depression)

2018 - april to july, Xanax, quit cold turkey, no serious withdrawal symptoms

2018 - august to late december, Mirtazapine, psychiatrist got me off it cold turkey

2019 - january to april, Seroxat, again stopped cold turkey, developed double vision if looking at close screens etc.

2019 - june to 13th november, Zyprexa (2.5mg-10mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking it

2019 - middle october to november 13th, Zoloft (0.6mg-25mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking

Horrible withdrawal with severe insomnia afterwards, not feeling hungry or sleepy, never tired, stomach problems, nausea...

24th november - reinstated 2.5mg zyprexa

3rd december - 5mg zyprexa

new symptoms - glare, halos around lights, muscle twitching worse, eyelid and cheek twitching every 5-10 minutes

11th january 2020 - 4.3mg zyprexa 

Late 2020 (gradually finished the taper back then) to present - meds free. No improvements regarding sleep. Developed dry eyes because lack of it. Only positive change is that I do feel sleepy now but sleep is the same, broken and not good.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Malbec37 said:

Hi everyone

Since starting to taper mirtazapine after being on it for 5 years (and Sertraline and citalopram for 12) I have encountered WD symptoms and found my way to this amazing website which is a total godsend....I never realised it could be this hard and take so long to get off my medication. The idea of slowly tapering for up to two more years and the effort and difficulty that this will involve really does make me wonder why I am doing it in the first place....I never had any side effects from the mirtazapine I just thought that after 5 years of being free of depression I was strong and resilient enough to come off my meds and lead a med free life! But I didn't know how hard to would be to do this :(

I would love to hear from others as to why they are coming off their meds as it may give me the hope and inspiration that I need?

In my case there were side effects that got worse over the long term. I also found that I wasn't functioning very well, I tried to go back to school and couldn't study science the way I had been able to before. And multiple attempts to come off the drugs which all failed and with each one I got worse and worse, suicidal, filled with emotional pain and dysfunction.

It doesn't sound like you have suffered as much on the drugs as I did. You might not be aware of what they have taken away from you in other ways though. It has only been since tapering down that I have discovered how much they took away my ability to connect with other people and my old social personality. It has been as those things have returned to me that I realized they were gone.

I don't know if everyone needs to come off psych meds but I can't imagine that they can possibly be healthy for us over decades, no drugs are really that good for our bodies, especially as we get older. In my case, I've gotten back my ability to live in the world and work at a regular job and have something close to a normal life, but my health will never be as good as it was before. I wish I had known how to taper off of these drugs back in the 90s, I would have tapered off no matter how many years it took, and then I wouldn't have lost my children's childhoods and they would have had a mother.

That's how it was for me, in sort of a very small nutshell--there are a lot of details that I'm sparing you

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Thoughts on why to stop the meds and is it worth it?
26 minutes ago, Hell said:

Quitting meds cold turkey is the worst thing you can do to your body. Even if it seems it is fine it is a shock to your brain. I would advise against it.

I don't recommend CT I mean in general quitting.

AD: Seroxat since 2005 20 mg and tapering from March 2018 10% every 4 weeks.

15-11-2019 down to 5.5 mg 

28-12-2019 crashed really bad on 5.5mg 

01-01-2020 updose to 7mg

16-01-2020 Updose to 9 mg

Benzos: Bromazepam 1.5 mg daily since 2015

Quit CT Bromazepam 16-01-2020 No withdrawals 

Occasionally 1.5 mg extra

Last extra 1.5 mg 12-01-2020

• Moderator Emeritus

mod. note:  merged introductions

? on thoughts on why to stop the meds and is it worth it? .......is now here.

Please:  just one introduction topic per member  Thank you.

we do have some similar topics in tapering, symptoms and self care, and off topic as well.....

to find pre-existing discussions, topics you can always do the main browser search:

survivingantidepressants.org followed by is it worth it to stop medications

(or something to that effect)

As you've only been here less than a week, @Malbec37  I realize you are just getting familiar.  Please feel free to browse about, the various forums, from the Home Screen.

And welcome aboard,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

p.s.  it's been well worth it to me.

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/4/2020 at 2:53 PM, Malbec37 said:

Hi @Gridley...so I bought some scales and decided it was sensible to go up to 13mg and stick on it until stable (3 months as you suggest)...I did have a lot of problems with the scales jumping around and not seeming very precise...they weren't the cheapest ones and had good reviews. I got into a bit of a panic about it all thinking that the measurements weren't in any away precise...but with perseverance the scale seemed to start to behave more and I managed to break up the pills to get approx ranges between 12.8 and 13.3mg - it was still jumping around a bit but I couldn't get it to stick to 13 precisely but really not very far off at all. I did this for hours and now I have ten doses prepared around these amounts....I know its not ideal and would rather have exactly 13mg but I have done my best - I have taken the first one tonight. Would be grateful for your thoughts on this? 

Many thanks as ever as I am new to this and really need support and reassurance 

Just to be sure, you do know that you are NOT supposed to be measuring 13 mg on the scale, right? The 13 mg is the actual active drug ingredient. The weight of your tablet is mostly fillers and binders. 

I think there is a good thread on this in the Tapering section and you are probably already on top of it but I just sort of panicked when I read the above and want to make sure you are aware. 🙂

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Weirdly by Mirtazapine tabs are actually 15mg (15.4 on the scale, but I don't think it's that accurate).

2005  Mirt 15mg For insomnia

January 2018 started to taper October 2018 discovered this site and started 10% taper from 3.75

April 2019 got to 1.8, jumped

Reinstated at about 1mg April 26

Aug 2019 severe myoclonic jerks

Doc proscribed 3.75 Zoplicone

Now taking 1.35 mg mirt at 11.30, 1x3.75 Zop At 12.30am, 1/4 on waking at 5amish, 1/4 at 4pm 1/4 at 8pm. No supplements 

• Moderator Emeritus

More on weights and measurements of doses

^ taken from Using a digital scale to measure doses

Thanks Rhiannon for picking up on that.  And please, please get familiar with tapering methods, before tapering.  I see far too many new members jump into this with great gusto, only to regret it, as they have not worked out some essential details first, and furthered their understanding.

This is the place to ask questions, get clarity, etc. on your own situation Malbec37.  Your introduction.  Right here.

If you need help you can always add an @ before a moderators name, or experienced member for help.  You'll see the names to select from once you start typing in a letter after the @ .  Then be patient with us all please.

Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

editing in to add:  perfectly okay to ask questions, on the digital scale topic too.  Just try and keep the bulk of specific cases, and situations, on your own threads as well.  Makes our work easier and better informed.

Edited by manymoretodays
in black

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

@Malbec37

I wanted to make sure you'd seen Rhiannon's post about using the scale.  We use the scale to measure pill weight, and keep track with active ingredient.  This link explains the method.

Using a digital scale to measure doses

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@manymoretodaysReally sorry about that, yes I am new and also been in quite an anxious state in general recently so making a few mistakes

So to confirm DON'T start a new topic in the Introductions forum? Just one per member like you said....I can see I started another by mistake

Can you start new topics in other forums?

Thanks for your kindness and all the work all you guys are doing it's really amazing 

Malbec37 Introduction:  Diagnosis of Recurrent Depressive Disorder 2005

Sertraline 2003 - 2004 then switched to Citalopram 2004 - 2014 20mg then up to 40mg then switched to Mirtazapine 30mg 2014 - 2020

Began taper off Mirtazapine Aug 2019 - 2 months at 22.5mg, 3 months at 15mg, 10 days at 11.25mg then updosed to 13mg after constant WD...40 days on 13 and then updose to 15 as of 13/2/20...holding for now and stabilised.

Resumed taper from 15mg in July 2021 - 14mg in July 21, 13mg in August 21, 12mg in Sept 21 and 11 mg in Nov 21, made it down to 9mg in Mar 22 but crashed and reinstated to 15mg Apr 22

Currently holding on 15mg 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Gridley said:

I wanted to make sure you'd seen Rhiannon's post about using the scale.  We use the scale to measure pill weight, and keep track with active ingredient.  This link explains the method.

All okay regarding this?

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@GridleyI sent you a private message in reply to yours

Sertraline 2003 - 2004 then switched to Citalopram 2004 - 2014 20mg then up to 40mg then switched to Mirtazapine 30mg 2014 - 2020

Began taper off Mirtazapine Aug 2019 - 2 months at 22.5mg, 3 months at 15mg, 10 days at 11.25mg then updosed to 13mg after constant WD...40 days on 13 and then updose to 15 as of 13/2/20...holding for now and stabilised.

Resumed taper from 15mg in July 2021 - 14mg in July 21, 13mg in August 21, 12mg in Sept 21 and 11 mg in Nov 21, made it down to 9mg in Mar 22 but crashed and reinstated to 15mg Apr 22

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Malbec37 said:

Really sorry about that, yes I am new and also been in quite an anxious state in general recently so making a few mistakes

So to confirm DON'T start a new topic in the Introductions forum? Just one per member like you said....I can see I started another by mistake

Can you start new topics in other forums?

Hey, no worries.

Yes, don't start a new topic in Introductions.

Yes, you may start new topics in other forums.  Good to search to see if there IS already a topic around what you are thinking of starting first.

Off site, use your browser and how I explained.

On site, on the top right you'll see a search box, in each forum.  You can use that and specify topic title.  It will give you a drop down menu, for specifications to your search.

You're doing great.

L, P, H, and R,

mmt

On 1/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, Malbec37 said:

I spoke to my doctor yesterday and he said it was rubbish and there was no way that under 1mg could do anything.

Hi there.  Sorry about the mental anguish (with all respect, compassion and understanding) all of this is causing you - and justifiably so. MDs for the most part have no clue about tapering. In addition - of those that do appreciate why you taper these drugs - almost none will admit how slowly you must go as you get to zero mg and why. There is a paper and graph that explains it better than I can - about the occupancy of neuro-transmitters - and even when a tiny bit of drug is taken away - we have a lot of WD symptoms. @Gridley would you kindly confirm/correct for @Malbec37.   This may help you and MD understand. YOu could print and bring it to the MD.

I'm just really worried that now I am going to be having WD symptoms ongoing 

My WD effects have been around a while because I didn't get off my 20 mg cymbalta because I did not taper - at all. It has been very unpleasant but things are now much more tolerable (really horrible!!).

I expect the WD symptoms will be with me a while. However - I can say that I do somethings better than when I was on the 'medication'.  I know that ADs are not the solution to managing anxiety and depression. ADs are amongst the most dangerous drugs in America.

Learning adaptive thinking (CBT), mindfulness, etc. takes concerted effort, diligence, regular practice and time.  Have positive expectations that you will learn these skills.

Sorry I think I'm just starting to panic a bit about this whole situation and like EVERYONE else I just want to feel myself and feel able to function normally 

No apologies are ever needed on SA. We continue to learn to accept WD as a temporary part of our lives.  None of us like it so you are not alone. ;)

@Guilietta thanks for this 

Firstly how to do you take sections like you and other moderators do and then paste it into the box for responding to? Like you've done in your responses to me? I've tried to just copy and paste but isn't the same :)

Yes you're right about MD's having no clue....thing that maybe gets confusing is that some people DO get off their meds relatively easily compared to what you, I and everyone in this site have to deal with...for example I was talking to a friend today who was on citalopram for 3 years and managed to come off in 2 months with relatively few if any withdrawals...so It shows that for SOME it can happen like that but of course for many it doesn't and hence why SA exists...maybe MD's see some people coming off like that and assume everyone would be able to? Regardless a lot of them are next to useless when it comes to this process of coming off medication

I am starting to accept my situation now more easily and readying myself for a much longer and more gentle taper to see if I can come off Mirtazapine...it seems mirtazapine is one of the hardest to come off so I have no doubt that it will be  a hard and long road but then dealing with depression has been one hard and long road!! I feel that sow is good because I will be able to see if I can function well with less and less of the drug in my system and this will give me a good indication if I can live without it in the longterm....would you agree with that?

I'm sorry you have suffered so much I really am....over the years I have developed virtually every tool in the box and they all help me and now I am even a yoga and mindfulness teacher! I have also practice a lot of spirituality, energy healing and recently got more into prayer and asking for diving guidance and support...none of it hurts.

Thankyou for connecting with me and being part of the wonderful community that is SA!

As a final update for everyone else I woke up very gloomy this morning but things have progressed throughout the day so I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day...I ahve now been on the update of 13mg for 4 nights

• Moderator Emeritus
51 minutes ago, Guilietta said:

There is a paper and graph that explains it better than I can - about the occupancy of neuro-transmitters - and even when a tiny bit of drug is taken away - we have a lot of WD symptoms. @Gridley would you kindly confirm/correct for @Malbec37.   This may help you and MD understand. YOu could print and bring it to the MD.

Here is the study about how low, low doses still affect you,  plus some commentary explaining it in a fairly simple way.  

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@Gridley@mikeyboy@manymoretodays and others...I am now on my updose from 11mg to 13mg mirtazapine after previously coming down from 30 to 22.5 to 15mg and finally to approx 11mg over 5 months....I know it's only been 5 days of the updose now but I'm still suffering WD especially chronic insomnia and constant ringing in my ears....I'm feeling ok though, anxiety is not too bad and getting through each day... just wanted to know if this is normal and if WD symptoms likely to get less after a week of the updose? I know everyone is different and there's no way of being sure just wondering from your experience?

Also are there any links to insomnia and what can be done to help here?

Desperate for a decent sleep!

Morning. I think it’s fairly early days so try not to panic (difficult I know). your nervous system has had a shock and will take time to stabilise. It’s good that you’re not suffering too much anxiety. 

it sounds like you are doing all the right things with yoga etc so try and ride this out. 

January 2018 started to taper October 2018 discovered this site and started 10% taper from 3.75

Now taking 1.35 mg mirt at 11.30, 1x3.75 Zop At 12.30am, 1/4 on waking at 5amish, 1/4 at 4pm 1/4 at 8pm. No supplements 

Morning. I think it’s fairly early days so try not to panic (difficult I know). your nervous system has had a shock and will take time to stabilise. It’s good that you’re not suffering too much anxiety. 

it sounds like you are doing all the right things with yoga etc so try and ride this out.  How much sleep are you getting?

@mikeyboy Hi there...thanks for the response it's appreciated! Last night it felt like I didn't really sleep at all but I know that's not the case as I don't feel that bad today really....I did look at phone and it said 4am then I definitely didn't sleep after that...more like tossing and turning, thinking too much and light dreaming

Yes you're right I just have to be patient and let the nervous system catch up...who knows how long it could take but I'll get there

Think I'm going to start making this to see if it helps with sleep https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/natural-solutions/the-moon-milk-recipe-that-helps-you-get-a-better-nights-sleep-part-3-of-3/

how are you doing?

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Malbec37 said:

chronic insomnia and constant ringing in my ears....I'm feeling ok though, anxiety is not too bad and getting through each day.

Though you might not think so, it sounds as if you're doing pretty well.  Insomnia and tinnitus are very common in withdrawal.

On your moonnmilk recipe, I'd start low on the ashwaganda.  It can have a paradoxical effect, meaning it can make you more anxious (it did with me). Many times holistic recommendations don't work in WD.  

I don't remember if I've mentioned the B vitamins in your signature, but they can be overstimulating in WD.

Here are some links on insomnia:

Tips to help sleep - so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Trick and tips to fall asleep faster

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

@GridleyWow thanks for the links super useful!

Ah just ordered ashwagandha ha ha...only £10 though so not the end of the world...I'll try at very low amounts 

I like the ideas in the video of gratitude journaling before sleep and also counting back in 3'2 from 300...will try those tonight

Hope you're well my friend 

You might want to read through Dalsaan's thread on here. She successfully came off Mirt after a bad start.. 

@mikeyboythanks....definitely good to read positive stories about mirtazapine withdrawal

For all including @Gridleylast night I slept through until 6am for first time in 2 weeks....today I feel better again from yesterday although still got tinitus but bearable

Last night I started new bedtime routine which includes firstly spending no time on my bed during the day...then doing some worry journaling and gratitude journaling before bed....also listened to guided sleep meditation which helped. This morning got up 7am for first time in ages and used my Lightbox so will try and stick to getting up at early at exactly same time every day and laying down to sleep at same time...this also really helps me and gets circadian Rthymns going well

So all in all a much more positive night

Thanks for the amazing support SA!

Sounds good, @Malbec37! The updose is working :)

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Malbec37 Sounds great and, yes, the updose is working.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Hi everyone

Wanted to just post about how things are going as looking for some input and reassurance....I was doing well on the updose 2 days ago but yesterday and today have been pretty awful and my anxiety levels are sky high and also the buzzing/ringing in my head is constant and really stressing me out and upsetting me....I know I have to be patient but I'm now getting scared that it's never going to go away and I'm stuck with it...I know this is more anxiety piling on top of anxiety and that it most likely will stop just finding it all very hard right now...I know its common withdrawal effect but is it normal for it to have gone on for 2 weeks? I guess there is no such thing as normal when it comes to WD from these drugs 

Thanks 

Hey @Malbec37, try not to add fear on top of the WD anxiety. Everything you're experiencing sounds like WD and updose effects to me. I usually don't feel a dose change until 3 or 4 days into doing it, and I then wobble around for a couple of weeks until things level out. So it's like 4 days plus an additional 14 to settle. I think you're into the second week of your updose now? So it's early days and things should begin to settle.

In the meantime, lots of self soothing, restorative yoga etc. You'll settle. Your nervous system had a shock with the drop to 11mg and now it's adjusting to 13mg. It takes time to balance out again :) but you will.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

@sunnysideup69 thanks so much for this. Yes I’m in the beginning of the second week of updosing...you’re right I’m clearly adding worry onto the anxiety WD symptoms which is making me panic...really tough and the constant buzzing in my head has been getting to me but what you say is very reassuring and will do lots more restorative yoga and long hot baths 

bless you for responding x 

Hey @Malbec37, how's it going?

Hey @sunnysideup69@Gridleyand others

It's going pretty ok as my sleep is pretty consistently good now on 13mg and anxiety is present but low level...at night time I make a tea of chamomile and passionflower (very strong) and it seems to knock me out good and proper...also taking magnesium and eating very well and doing some restorative yoga before bed

BUT the buzzing in my head is still ever present and feels like it's here to stay sadly :(....is this the same as the tinnitus that others report on the site/ Or more like the brain zaps? It's a constant high pitched buzz that feels like it comes more from the centre of my head than from my ears - I mean I can function but I hate it and just want to hear good old silence again...I have never had any problem of this kind in the past so it's clearly a WD symptom. I have read some horror stories on here of people who got this and it never went away which is of course pretty upsetting but doesn't mean it'll be the case for me

As you said @sunnysideup69I just need to be patient and let things settle and hope it does eventually go away 

I also found out something interesting the other day....5 years ago when I had my last depressive episode that was so severe I ended up hospitalised I could never understand really where it came from as my life seemed really stable, I had gone through no major life events and was settled in work and home - but then I read that a month prior I had reduced my citalopram from 40mg straight down to 20mg overnight with the approval of the doctor and then a few weeks later I had the most terrible bout of depression....makes a lot of sense now from what I have learnt on this site

Thanks for checking in and would love to hear back from you all

Further to the above today I have a new symptom which is a feeling of nausea :(

On 1/15/2020 at 8:22 AM, Malbec37 said:

Hey @sunnysideup69@Gridley

I also found out something interesting the other day....5 years ago when I had my last depressive episode that was so severe I ended up hospitalised I could never understand really where it came from as my life seemed really stable, I had gone through no major life events and was settled in work and home - but then I read that a month prior I had reduced my citalopram from 40mg straight down to 20mg overnight 

Yep, that's a fifty per cent drop

..likely to have been the cause ....

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

reduced my citalopram from 40mg straight down to 20mg overnight 

Agree with Sunnysideup.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Hi Malbec37, greetings from Canada, I’m pretty new to this site too. I’ve been on antidepressants since 2009, you can see them in my signature. I was given Mirtazapine 15 mg. to help coming off Pristiq 50 mg. I tapered too quickly as well, from 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg. then 1.8 mg. All within 2 months. I’m tapering because of what you said, “l just want to feel myself and be able to function normally.” I’m just taking one day at a time and I am having some reprieve in the evenings. I have a very supportive husband and just recently retired so am fortunate that way. This site is a God send, because I didn’t know where to turn to after my family doc  told me to just quit. I’m glad you are able to get help here. All the best to you. 

2017–20 18 sertraline 50 mg
2018 Pristiq 50 mg
2018 Ciprolex 10 mg
2019 bupropion 150 mg
2019 to 2020 Mirtazapine 7.5 mg
2019 clonazepam 0.5 mg
2020 escitolopram 10 mg
2020 May Pre-Gabalin 150 mg, June  sertraline 100 mg to 50 mg, December pre Gabalin 110 mg
2021, December  pre-Gabalin 53.5 mg to 48 mg, December sertraline 38.8 mg to 38 mg
2022, January sertraline 38 mg to 36 mg, February sertraline 36 mg to 34 mg, March pre-Gabalin 48 mg to 46.2 mg, April 5 sertraline 34 mg to 33.6 mg., April 24, Sertraline 33.6 mg to 32.9 mg, April 24, stopped Calcium citrate 150 mg, May 4 melatonin 1.25, reducing melatonin see posts., May 2, Brand change on sertraline and pregabalin May 13 Sertraline 31.2 mg May 21 Sertraline 30.8 mg, May 28, Sertraline 30 mg, June 6 29.2 mg, June 16, 29.2 mg to 28 mg. July 4, Sertraline 28 mg to 27.4 mg, August 7, 27.4 mg to 24.8mg, August 11 pregabalin from 46.2 to 45 mg, Oct 11; Sertraline 24.4mg, Oct 18, 24 mg., Oct. 25,  23.5 mg, Nov 2, 23.2mg, Dec 2, pregabalin 43.2 mg, Dec. 29, Sertraline 22.4 mg, February 3/23 Sertraline 22 mg,, Feb 24, 22.6. Mg, 

melatonin From black cherry juice.

How are you doing, @Malbec37?