insistpersistresist: Muscle pain and burning

insistpersistresist

Greetings! I am 6 months into withdrawal (off zoloft 25-50mg since July 2019) and am experiencing such an intense wave of muscle burning, pain, and tension, also burning eyes, and irritated skin. I have been used to painful muscle tension ever since stopping it, but this is amped up to a degree I have never endured. I don’t know how much longer I can make it before questioning if reinstatement at a very low dose would help? I really would like to avoid doing that but need advice if you can help. And any personal experience you can share that helped you with these symptoms. I think it is withdrawal but maybe something else is going on that is new? Just weary and wary of doctors now as they are not validating or versed on the ugly messiness of these meds and withdrawal. Thanks so much! My history follows:

2000-2012 50 mg zoloft

Fast taper and stayed off for several months but panic attacks (never had before) began and reinstated

2013-2019 20 mg celexa and transition to 25 mg zoloft within that time frame

July 2019 rapid wean over 3 weeks

symptoms of back pain primarily and muscle tension, rosacea, food sensitivities, dry burning eyes

Edited by Shep
added username to title
  • Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, insistpersistresist said:

am experiencing such an intense wave of muscle burning, pain, and tension, also burning eyes, and irritated skin.

These are all typical withdrawal symptoms.

Here is a link with some tips on how to deal with body pain:

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain - Symptoms ...

Reinstatement works most predictably within three months of last dose.  I'd be wary that reinstating six months out could make matters worse.  I'd stay where you are and try the techniques in the link above.  It's your call.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

If you decide to reinstate, I wouldn't reinstate more than 1mg Zoloft.  This link tells you how to obtain small non-standard doses of Zoloft.

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you Gridley! It is reassuring to hear these things are “typical”. I think I can tough it out knowing this and will read the articles you linked. The support of this forum will help me endure this dark night of the soul. 
Thankful for you and everyone here.

Laurel

Has anyone ever found benefit in taking 5-htp, the precursor to serotonin? I know our systems are sensitive but wanted input if gaba or 5 htp or tryptophan has helped anyone in any way?

Here's the thread on 5-htp.

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

Thank you for the link @Armorall! Sounds a little risky right now. I will probably just try to be consistent with the magnesium, fish oil, and epsom salt baths and see how those go.

@Gridley Hi Gridley. I am really struggling. Having such painful muscle spasms that I am in agony. I am 6 months off like you know. If I were to reinstate and then hold and proceed with a very slow taper, would you advise I stick with my last med of sertraline? Or should I switch to something like Lexapro. I hate to think of it but am at the end of my rope. I suppose if I started lexapro I would still be facing zoloft withdrawal. If it comes to reinstating, what do you think? Thank you so much!

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, insistpersistresist said:

@Gridley Hi Gridley. I am really struggling. Having such painful muscle spasms that I am in agony. I am 6 months off like you know. If I were to reinstate and then hold and proceed with a very slow taper, would you advise I stick with my last med of sertraline? Or should I switch to something like Lexapro. I hate to think of it but am at the end of my rope. I suppose if I started lexapro I would still be facing zoloft withdrawal. If it comes to reinstating, what do you think? Thank you so much!

No, I would not advise a switch to Lexapro or another drug.  It's best to reinstate with the drug you were on before (I'm assuming you didn't have an adverse reaction to the Sertraline.)  As he expression goes, dance with the one that brought you.

I need a little more information.

1. Tell me your original dose of sertraline.

2. Did you taper?

3. What was the dose when you stopped?

Reinstatement at 6 months out is not ideal but it can work.  Once you've answered my questions I can suggest a reinstatement dose of sertraline.  Please do not reinstate without letting me make a suggestion.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

@Gridley Thanks for your time. Well, I will try to make this clear. I was on 25 mg sertraline until August 2018. I then did a quick taper over like 4 weeks. I was then off for 9 months, had a lot of work stress, and reinstated at 25mg in May of 2019. It was rough at the beginning of reinstatement-a lot of anxiety and chest tightness and muscle tightness that slightly improved over the 8 weeks. I did a rapid taper after 2 months of being on the 25mg. I made a mistake with a lot of this along with the lack of knowledge pervasive with professionals. Weaned off that 25 mg over 2 weeks. I am doing chiropractic and massage, but want to be prepared in case I make the big jump back into it. This muscle tension is out of hand. Thank you so much. Other than this med, I have been on nothing else simultaneously and am physically healthy 43 year old. Thanks again!!!

• Administrator

Hello, insist. I moved your recent posts here, to your Introductions topic.

Why did you switch from Zoloft to Celexa to Zoloft?

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, insistpersistresist said:

I was on 25 mg sertraline until August 2018

First of all, please answer Alto's questions.

Let me see if I have this right:

25 mg sertraline from when? until August 2018, when I did did a 4-week taper to zero

Off for nine months.

May, 2019 reinstated 25 mg sertraline 

July, 2019 two-week taper to zero.

No drugs since then.

Is this correct?

Please answer Alto's questions and confirm my drug history. We will then be able to suggest a reinstatement dosage,

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

@Altostrata @Gridley

Hello. I stopped citalopram in January of 2017 and started sertraline in May of 2017. I had developed this same muscle tension and pain during that gap and equated it with citalopram so wanted to avoid it when reinstating. I had to try something to make the pain stop and that is the reason for the change and starting up again. The drs I went to to figure out what was happening had no idea of course. And I didn’t either. 

Gridley, you are right on that history. It was 25 mg sertraline since May 2017. Before that I had pretty much been on 25-50 mg zoloft since 2000.

Thank you for all your input. 

You are both healers in this crisis.

• Administrator

It sounds like you did not actually have adverse reactions when you were taking citalopram, you misintepreted the withdrawal symptoms?

If that's the case I'd suggest taking 1mg citalopram to start, as a reinstatement. Observe for a week. If it takes the edge off, you can carefully titrate it up. You'd taper off by tiny amounts later, after you stabilize.

Citalopram has a longer half-life than sertraline and comes in a prescription liquid, or you can make your own Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

By the way, what did your doctor say about your symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata Thank you. I just avoided citalopram at my last reinstatement (choosing zoloft instead) because of the withdrawal muscle tension and pain, but now I see both meds’ withdrawals led to those symptoms for me. I will ask my dr for that liquid just to have on hand in case I must do that. A long slow taper would hopefully let me avoid such intensity of this far down the road. I appreciate your time in thinking and advising. All the best.

3 hours ago, insistpersistresist said:

@Altostrata Thank you. I just avoided citalopram at my last reinstatement (choosing zoloft instead) because of the withdrawal muscle tension and pain, but now I see both meds’ withdrawals led to those symptoms for me. I will ask my dr for that liquid just to have on hand in case I must do that. A long slow taper would hopefully let me avoid such intensity of this far down the road. I appreciate your time in thinking and advising. All the best.

This is a really good idea....wishing you all the best if you reinstate :)

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:17 PM, Altostrata said:

By the way, what did your doctor say about your symptoms?

@Altostrata I went to the dr and he ordered an electrolyte panel, a complete blood count, and the inflammatory markers of sed rate and a CRP lab. These were all normal—yay! He offered a muscle relaxant, physical therapy, and suggested acupuncture or chiropractic care. I offered my gut feeling that this is due to ssri withdrawal so he did not suggest anything in that realm of ssris/snris etc. I don’t believe there is any pinched nerve or structural cause as I experienced this 3 years ago and it let up with reinstatement to a degree. I am going to my functional health practitioner today at noon with your recommendation of citalopram 1mg to start. I know she is open to working with that and helping any way she can. We have a compounding pharmacy in town. Do you suggest the liquid solution to then dilute further or the capsule route? I was thinking the liquid would be easier at such small doses if it comes to that. Thanks again.

• Administrator

It's highly likely your doctor doesn't know anything about antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

Please consider the 1mg citalopram reinstatement with the liquid. Read about it in Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Let us know how you're doing.

Thanks! Will do! @Altostrata And yes, every doctor I have ever met thinks once it clears your system by excretion,  you are back to whatever your baseline is! Insanity. Thank you!

@Gridley Sorry to bother you but my fear is getting the best of me. Are muscle/nerve pain and muscle spasms possible in withdrawal or common? Should I rule out something like MS? That would require an expensive MRI. I know it is likely withdrawal, but am feeling anxious. Thank you.

7 hours ago, insistpersistresist said:

@Gridley Sorry to bother you but my fear is getting the best of me. Are muscle/nerve pain and muscle spasms possible in withdrawal or common? Should I rule out something like MS? That would require an expensive MRI. I know it is likely withdrawal, but am feeling anxious. Thank you.

Hi, 

Muscle spasms /pains and nerve pain, were common to me for many months, any time I was in withdrawal, in my continued attempts to go off my 20 mg citalopram dose! 

That's why I was reinstated to avoid this torture, and fortunately for me every time it worked. 

Finally in my fourth attempt, very very slowly I managed to come off, having decided to live with these symptoms for a few months without reinstating, and gradually they faded away. 

Now I am for almost 3 years without any symptoms and happy with my life. 

If you have been checked by a neurologist already, and got cleared, you should be ok. 

Any way mri could be a good idea to comfort you, and by the way in my country it is without charge,as a routine check in our public health system, if you are refered by a neurologist. 

Best regards 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, insistpersistresist said:

Are muscle/nerve pain and muscle spasms possible in withdrawal or common? Should I rule out something like MS

Muscle and nerve pain and muscle spasms are common symptoms in withdrawal.

Occasional neuromuscular symptoms: Tics, twitches ...

If you will Google survivingantidepressants.org muscle spasm nerve pain  you will find several more threads on these withdrawal symptoms.

If getting an MRI will make you feel better, you could do that.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

On 1/9/2020 at 12:36 PM, Altostrata said:

It's highly likely your doctor doesn't know anything about antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

Please consider the 1mg citalopram reinstatement with the liquid. Read about it in Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Let us know how you're doing.

@Altostrata I am talking to my dr about the liquid preparation options of citalopram in case I reinstate. Is the primary reason to go to citalopram over sertraline because of the longer half-life?  I feel like I was doing okay 5 1/2 months into fast taper sertraline withdrawal but then these spasms started and severe muscle tension. Might try PT, acupuncture, etc. before I reinstate if I can endure. Never took muscle relaxants before, but I question the risk/benefit of doing that vs reinstatement. Do you of anyone who has a crystal ball and can tell me? 😉Thanks so much for what you provide to us.

Laurel

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

Muscle and nerve pain and muscle spasms are common symptoms in withdrawal.

Occasional neuromuscular symptoms: Tics, twitches ...

If you will Google survivingantidepressants.org muscle spasm nerve pain  you will find several more threads on these withdrawal symptoms.

If getting an MRI will make you feel better, you could do that.

Thank you @Gridley. That is reassuring and makes it a tad more bearable. 
Laurel

6 hours ago, Kostas said:

Hi, 

Muscle spasms /pains and nerve pain, were common to me for many months, any time I was in withdrawal, in my continued attempts to go off my 20 mg citalopram dose! 

That's why I was reinstated to avoid this torture, and fortunately for me every time it worked. 

Finally in my fourth attempt, very very slowly I managed to come off, having decided to live with these symptoms for a few months without reinstating, and gradually they faded away. 

Now I am for almost 3 years without any symptoms and happy with my life. 

If you have been checked by a neurologist already, and got cleared, you should be ok. 

Any way mri could be a good idea to comfort you, and by the way in my country it is without charge,as a routine check in our public health system, if you are refered by a neurologist. 

Best regards 

Thanks so much for sharing that with me, @Kostas! It was just what I needed to hear so I really am grateful you took the time. I am envious of your health care system! We have hoops to jump through here, pretty much dependent on what the doctor believes should or shouldn’t be done, and then the financial toll it takes. But your post was good medicine and hopeful. Thank you.

• Administrator
10 hours ago, insistpersistresist said:

Is the primary reason to go to citalopram over sertraline because of the longer half-life?

Yes, it's preferable to sertraline.

I cannot comment on addition of muscle relaxants. If you take them regularly, you will need to taper them as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there @insistpersistresist, waving hello at you from London. How are you doing? Did you try out reinstatement ??

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

Thank you @sunnysideup69for inquiring!! I am so happy that you feel so good and stable!! That is a major relief. I have not yet reinstated though I have the prescription filled and in my cabinet in case I have to. I have been physically uncomfortable but am trying different things—magnesium, reiki, massage. I have also found myself in the midst of a spiritual awakening and I think that is adding some patience and fortitude to this journey of withdrawal. I really appreciate your good vibes! (On a side note) When I read that you run, I became happily envious as I cannot wait to return to feeling that freedom and strength. Enjoy your health and stability, as I know you are!!

14 minutes ago, insistpersistresist said:

I have been physically uncomfortable but am trying different things—magnesium, reiki, massage. I have also found myself in the midst of a spiritual awakening and I think that is adding some patience and fortitude to this journey of withdrawal. I really appreciate your good vibes! (On a side note) When I read that you run, I became happily envious as I cannot wait to return to feeling that freedom and strength. Enjoy your health and stability, as I know you are!!

Yes!! You will return to that. I almost cried on Saturday, I did something here in the UK called Park Run and I got my best 5k time yet. Slight uptick in symptoms yesterday, I think because of the exertion, but it's good to run and feel healthy. Sending all good wishes x