FarmGirlWorks

"Medicating Normal" - documentary

FarmGirlWorks
Posted (edited)
Just received an email from an activist about this new documentary, "Medicating Normal." The trailer brought me to tears. I encourage everyone here who has the ability (and I know that some of us are sicker than others and absolutely cannot) to support this by "liking" and passing on to others and, if really strong, to get a screening in your area. I did not have a new year resolution but think that one just appeared 🙂
Millions of Americans are physiologically dependent on, not heroin or cocaine, but commonly prescribed psychiatric drugs. While these medications often do provide effective short-term relief for emotional distress and other problems, pharmaceutical companies have hidden common side effects and long-term risks from both patients and doctors.

Multi-national drug companies spend billions of dollars annually promoting anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, ADHD drugs and mood stabilizers. Their arguments extolling the benefits of their products are often the only ones presented in the mainstream media. The other side of the story is rarely reported, and it is a story of harm done.

Combining cinema verité and investigative journalism, Medicating Normal follows the journeys of a newly married couple, a female combat veteran, a waitress, and a teenager – whose doctors prescribed psychiatric drugs to help with stress, mild depression, sleeplessness, focus, and trauma. Our subjects struggle with serious physical and mental side-effects as well as neurological damage which resulted from taking the drugs as prescribed. During the course of the film, prominent psychiatrists and scientific experts explain how it came to pass that – shockingly - one in five Americans are now taking these drugs daily. And they support and reinforce the fact that debilitating side-effects including addiction are common, and yet are not commonly acknowledged. It is the untold story of the disastrous consequences that can occur when profit-driven medicine intersects with human beings in distress.

Co-Producer/Directors, Lynn Cunningham & Wendy Ractliffe and Producer, Muffie Meyer are hosting private, pre-screening events for selected audiences across the country. According to one of the film’s subjects, Angela Peacock, “The film provokes important, meaningful dialogue between patients, prescribers, clinicians, veterans and families.” Agrees psychiatrist, Anna Lembke M.D., of Stanford University, “The film
promises to spark a long-overdue national conversation on the growing problem of over prescriptions.:

The “Medicating Normal” website has officially launched and they are slowly releasing over 100 video clips (out-takes from expert interviews) on their Youtube Channel. Experts such as Dr. David Cohen, Dr. Anna Lembke, Dr. Peter Gøtzsche, Dr. Mary Vieten, Dr. Stuart Shipko, Robert Whitaker and Dr. Kelly Brogan, share important information about psychiatric medications, withdrawal, diagnoses, and corrupted science.

Please share this email with your friends, “like” their pages and follow them at the below social media platforms so you can be the first to know about upcoming screenings in your area. If you subscribe to "Medicating Normal" website newsletter, see below, you can find out when a private screening or festival showing will be happening in your area. This movie has important information for everyone.

Watch 3 minute Movie Trailer on there website here:

You can subscribe on their YouTube Channel
Edited by FarmGirlWorks
  • Like 1

India

Is it on Netflix?

Rhiannon

I'm very excited about this. Apparently they are going to be screening it at film festivals around the country to start with. They have a place on your website where you can donate, I made a small donation. They have a lot of good information on the website too. SO happy someone is doing this!

• Like 1

carefulprayerful

I attended the Philadelphia premier.  The film is excellent.   

The director as well as one of the people whose story is in the film were there, and they stayed after the screening for a question-and-answer session with the audience. 

After that there was an opportunity to mingle with the like-minded folks, psychiatric survivors as well as progressive-thinking professionals, who came out to see the film.  I met a psychiatrist turned naturopath as well as an ex-patient with a background similar to mine who has been off psych drugs for 5 years and found other ways to cope.  

Hope this film gets to theatres everywhere!  (I would like to see a follow-up film--Medicating Abnormal!)

Best, CarefulP

• Like 1

Rhiannon
On 2/14/2020 at 6:05 AM, carefulprayerful said:

I attended the Philadelphia premier.  The film is excellent.   

The director as well as one of the people whose story is in the film were there, and they stayed after the screening for a question-and-answer session with the audience. 

After that there was an opportunity to mingle with the like-minded folks, psychiatric survivors as well as progressive-thinking professionals, who came out to see the film.  I met a psychiatrist turned naturopath as well as an ex-patient with a background similar to mine who has been off psych drugs for 5 years and found other ways to cope.  

Hope this film gets to theatres everywhere!  (I would like to see a follow-up film--Medicating Abnormal!)

Best, CarefulP

Thanks for the review! I'll have to watch for when it hits out here, I'd like to go.

JackieDecides

thank you for sharing this, FarmGirlWorks!

carefulprayerful

Also it is a great film to bring a friend or family member along to see.  It helped my fiancé understand, and he says he would recommend it.